• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Yeah man it's insane.

imTsuAv1o9mlH.png

Sorry, I just love the effects in this game, lol.

At launch.....

Timu

I thank this site for convincing me to buy Ryse earlier, who knew when I would had gotten it if I waited for it to be 30 bucks, lol.

So many people are going to miss out on this game just because the metacritic avg isn't blowing up which is pretty sad. I just hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. As it stands right now do u guys think a sequel to RYSE will eventually happen?

Tsukumo

So many people are going to miss out on this game just because the metacritic avg isn't blowing up which is pretty sad. I just hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. As it stands right now do u guys think a sequel to RYSE will eventually happen?

Don't know about a sequel but Crytek has all the fault for this game to be skipping beats: they didn't release a demo before hand, and they still haven't now. The damage has already been done by reviewers: by not putting out a demo they are ACTIVELY harming this game's chances to recover some ground.

My friend is dropping by in a half hour or so with his Xbox One. I'll be able to finish the game finally. Going to pick up from Chapter 5.

My friend is dropping by in a half hour or so with his Xbox One. I'll be able to finish the game finally. Going to pick up from Chapter 5.

Then play again on Legendary! I've been having a lot of fun with the game the second time around. The bosses are still pretty easy once you get good at perfect blocks, though. I have one final chapter then I'll finish on legendary. After that I'll play on easy to blast through the game to get all the collectibles, then I'm going back to MP. I really want to get all the achievements since I'm so close now. I have this weird feeling Ryse will be my most played title this year.

I thank this site for convincing me to buy Ryse earlier, who knew when I would had gotten it if I waited for it to be 30 bucks, lol.

It was one of my day one purchases, Gameplay was never as bad as made out to be especially on the hardest difficulty first run through. Also the screenshots you uploaded will do well convincing those who are on the fence with it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Level 4 in York is the god damn next gen moment for me so far. This games graphics are top notch. Can't wait to see what crytek does next. DAT foliage. Very impressive effects.

The game itself is a pretty good beat em up. A lot better than the reviews would lead you to believe. Think starting at centurion level is the best move.

Hopefully MS gets them to make a sequel

Hopefully MS gets them to make a sequel

One of the Microsoft first party team (Phil Spencers no2 I think) tweeted about a review he thought was fair and it was an 8.3 from Worth playing, I think based on what a lot of people have said in here that the game is much better than reviews would have people believe (and I agree). I think Microsoft will at least give it one more shot

Dude... how did the reviews do this game so dirty? Just an awesome game. My god, good fucking job Crytek. I loved Marius' character. Had so much fun with this game. Never stopped enjoying myself. Combat feels good and satisfying the whole way through. I beat it on Centurion. No time for a second playthrough since the Xbox One is my friend's, and he brought it over so I could get to finish the game to see how it ends, but, damn. No doubt about it, I'm going to get myself a system a lot sooner now than I thought I would. I need to be able to play this game whenever and as long as I want..

Microsoft, don't disappoint me. This game deserves a sequel.

border

It's really a shame that this game aspires to be some sweeping narrative epic full of story and setpieces.

I would probably be having a lot of fun replaying the campaign if I could just enjoy the combat. But it's really to even get 5 minutes of uninterrupted combat. There's unskippable cutscenes, dumb command sequences, dumb turret sequences, dumb walk + throw spears sequences, and cornball inspirational speeches.

I wish the game had a "No Fluff" mode that would just let me get to the hand-to-hand combat. Ryse would be great as just a straight brawler or beat-em-up......but instead it's got all these trappings of AAA game that ruin your chances of enjoying its strongest features.

I wish the game had a "No Fluff" mode that would just let me get to the hand-to-hand combat. Ryse would be great as just a straight brawler or beat-em-up......but instead it's got all these trappings of AAA game that ruin your chances of enjoying its strongest features.

Gladiator mode? Solo maps...?

border

Gladiator mode? Solo maps...?

I haven't touched the multiplayer at all since the multiplayer community on XBL leaves a lot to be desired, and I had heard that mode was driven by microtransactions.

I'd really just like a way to play through the campaign without having to watch cutscenes and dialogues or do the dumb minigames.

EBE

How long does the leveling take in MP?

depends on how well you can build long combos and if youre wearing armor pieces that grant xp gain boosts. one of the four selectable gods (forget which) also grants extra xp for every kill, so if youre playing online with a good build and another player who is also using said god you can level up pretty quickly.

shadow101

Banned
wtf? if the games actually looks like this I'm buying tomorrow. Reviews be damned.

The reviewers have no complain about the graphics. Its everything else.

I bought it today from Target Canada for 39.99 + tax.

I can trade it in by Jan 2 for 40 credit at FS / BB

Hawk269

wtf? if the games actually looks like this I'm buying tomorrow. Reviews be damned.

It does look like that...but here is the kicker. There are a TON of more scenes that look even better than that screen shot. The game is one impressive visual tour of force and I am also one of those that agree with many of the gamers here that say the game play is really good.

If you are playing on normal, which I suspect 90% of the reviewers did then it can seem like a button masher only, but playing on centurion and you need to use your blocks, rolls and counters effectively to survive. There is some really deep gameplay and then there are the unlocks as you progress which shows even more amazing executions.

Ryse has been one of those few games that I would stop and look around and take in the visuals. There is a tower/fort that you ascend too that is just amazing looking and the view distance is pretty incredible. Best visuals on both next gen consoles so far.

-SD-

Banned
Watching Let's Play's of Ryse is mind-numbingly tedious work. The gameplay is so repetitious and boring. I found myself skipping through the rest of the fighting bits after the few in the beginning.

Graphics look incredible, though.

Lima

I haven't touched the multiplayer at all since the multiplayer community on XBL leaves a lot to be desired, and I had heard that mode was driven by microtransactions.

See you heard that the MP is driven by microtransactions when that is not the case. How about trying it out yourself?

I'd really just like a way to play through the campaign without having to watch cutscenes and dialogues or do the dumb minigames.

The multiplayer isn't driven by micro transactions at all, outside of going directly to the store to buy some gold I'm not even sure it even has a way of buying the gold directly whilst in game (either that or I haven't found it).

I've always found games on smart match when I've wanted them or done the solo games if I want to work on my combos.

Its exactly what you want. (Im level 87, Jezehbell is level 100 and we're both reporting no micro transactions)

We're getting a patch this week I believe, the only details I know are that it'll reduce the amount of game clips recorded but I would expect some fixes for bugs too, hopefully some info on the DLC and leaderboards.

ahartig

Just finished the game last night and had a blast. Out of DR3, NFS Rivals, BF4 (buggy mess), Zoo Tycoon, and Peggle 2, Ryse is my favorite launch game by far.

Can't wait to dive onto multiplayer soon.

My only complaints are all the cumbersome Spica and spear throwing scenes, not fun. I know they added them to mix it up, by my god, compared to how sexy and smooth the hand to hand combat is, having to use the Spice is like going from driving a Porsche to a Yugo

border

Tried multiplayer today -- solo mode seems like a no-go. It feels like they've tuned it for two players and you just constantly get murdered by mobs of 12 or more.

Went through some rounds with Smart Match and it's much easier that way. Progression seems rather slow -- especially since there's supposed to be 100 levels. Only made it to level 2 after an hour or so.

Solo is nice and feels just as smooth as singleplayer. Co-op can feel kinda weird and janky just due to the network code. You miss out on a lot of executions just because your partner finishes them off with a regular hit. If Solo mode felt a bit more balanced I'd probably stick with it.

Tried multiplayer today -- solo mode seems like a no-go. It feels like they've tuned it for two players and you just constantly get murdered by mobs of 12 or more.

Went through some rounds with Smart Match and it's much easier that way. Progression seems rather slow -- especially since there's supposed to be 100 levels. Only made it to level 2 after an hour or so.

Its a bit different to other online games (example I'm going to give is Gears 3). In Gears 3 for example when you do say a level on horde you can level up loads at the beginning and then the XP required to level up gets higher and higher and thus slower to level up.

On Ryse, you start with lame shield/clothes/sword etc, and you get gold from fighting etc and you buy new stuff with the booster packs. You get different attribute +/- depending on the item. So as you get better, go up levels you get access to better equipment and level up faster, I have +52% XP, I got up about a level every round I think...

Solo is fine you just need the right focus, Diana has the one where it pushes enemies away if you're on top of an archers podium and you do it you can get 30+ combo just from that.

JaggedSac

Solo is nice and feels just as smooth as singleplayer. Co-op can feel kinda weird and janky just due to the network code. You miss out on a lot of executions just because your partner finishes them off with a regular hit. If Solo mode felt a bit more balanced I'd probably stick with it.

Someone can't get high combos and block properly it seems :) Also, taunt after clearing a set of enemies, that way your combo stays for a decent while longer.

Stantron

Has anyone found a reliable strategy for dealing with the archers on the elevated platform without losing your combo, while playing solo or when teammate is not near? It seems like there's a 50/50 chance one of them will hit you with an arrow as you climb to the top. Ideally, I'd prefer to keep Jupiter since his focus ability to build combo is so much higher than the other deities.

Has anyone found a reliable strategy for dealing with the archers on the elevated platform without losing your combo, while playing solo or when teammate is not near? It seems like there's a 50/50 chance one of them will hit you with an arrow as you climb to the top. Ideally, I'd prefer to keep Jupiter since his focus ability to build combo is so much higher than the other deities.

I imagine the best is focus mode till you close the gap?

Letting your teammate get them is the only strat I have that works.

border

Someone can't get high combos and block properly it seems :) Also, taunt after clearing a set of enemies, that way your combo stays for a decent while longer.

At this point I'm more concerned with staying alive than I am racking up combos. I'm not sure if I can finish any of these arenas on a single bar of life. I'm doing okay with the Apollo focus, since that regenerates health.....not sure how things would pan out if I use another focus.

I can combo up into the 30's and 40's on a good run, but I usually misread a RED undeflectable attack as a normal one and get pounded while trying to deflect. Either that or a couple of the dozen guys surrounding me will attack at exactly the same time (or slightly offset) so that I can't deflect them both.

Jsheldon

I've been playing almost strictly sp arena mode and have had allot of fun. I just hit rank 10 after about 5 hours, and earned the jupiter sword for winning the required number of rounds. In the campaign I'm about half way done.

My only complaint is the lack of weapon drops......my monetary earnings are still pretty low, averaging about $250 per win, and I probably win 70% of the time solo. Do the booster packs ever include swords? I've probably bought five or six packs and have yet to get a sword or shield......

I seem to lose my combo every time an objective end, so if anyone minds repeating easy ways to use the taunts while still moving and maintaining the combo.... I'd greatly appreciate it. If I could get up to $500 gold per match.... I think I'd be golden ;) and enjoy things allot more with less grinding.

At the end of the day though, still a solid 8/10 for me personally and couldn't be happier with the purchase!

Grisby

Graphics are crazy. I feel like it's hit that CG level at some points. The motion blur and lightning are just, insane.

Watching Rome and playing this game is like a match made in heaven.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I finished the game, I really loved it. The graphics are just incredible, the combat is better than the reviews would leave you to believe and was never boring for me. As soon as I finished I started a new campaign on Legen....wait for it.....dary.

I'm not so good at the solo arenas though, I can't even finish a round. Just got my first couple of armour upgrades though so maybe that will help.

@Robeyonekenobi New challenges #Ryse are live, more good news on the horizon but some things to keep you busy in the mean time :)

Mike Ybarra teased an announcement last week, he told me today it was due "before Wednesday" so tomorrow presumably! Could just be related to the patch he said was coming this week.

abadguy

Banned
Ryse definitely got a raw deal from reviews. Not only was i blown away by the graphics, i actually found the gameplay fun as well. Going by reviews you would swear it was the most broken game ever, really it felt like an old school brawler with a limited move set, yet there is still strategy and timing is important especially on harder levels.

I found MP to be pretty fun in co op as well, it would be cool if future DLC included a Gladiator free for all death match, and chariot racing. Maybe add some Lions into the mix.
The story wasn't a tour de force but it wasn't horrible either. Wasn't the mess that Crysis 2's story was. I liked Boudica as well. ( would love to have played as her at some point too)

Ryse is far from perfect but it has a good foundation to build on with sequels, assuming it does well enough to get sequels.

border

Ryse definitely got a raw deal from reviews. Not only was a blown away by the graphics, i actually found the gameplay fun as well. Going by reviews you would swear it was the most broken game ever, really it felt like an old school brawler with a limited move set, yet there is still strategy and timing is important especially on harder levels.

For a $60 game, I think 6-7 scores are relatively fair. Singleplayer campaign is 5 or 6 hours at best, and relatively repetitive. That said, it's a little irritating to read reviews that say stuff like "There's only 5 enemy types" or "You've seen all the executions after a couple hours." As if merely seeing an enemy or an execution makes it irrelevant for the rest of the game. It's about mastering combat with a ton of varied enemies nipping at your heels. It's about knowing all the executions so you can pull off a series of Legendary kills.

The multiplayer seems pretty good if you just want to enjoy the combat without all the muss and fuss of the story and minigames. My main problem is that it just feels a little busted in terms of progression, and that progression will be slow unless you have a good deal of mastery. I also don't understand why they didn't include the gear system from multiplayer as a part of the singleplayer game (or at least as a part of a NewGame+ mode). I would be a lot more motivated to replay the game if I could do it with my own custom equipment.

Having gear upgrades tied to random bags of goodies was an absolutely terrible decision. If Microsoft wanted microtransactions in all their games, there were way better ways to do it than this. I would be encouraged to play more if there were a store full of awesome but unaffordable items for me to lust over. But instead I'm supposed to level up in hopes that I can buy better random grab bags that may or may not contain items I might like. Forza apparently has a terrible grind, but at least while you're grinding you can look forward to getting an awesome Lamborghini or whatever -- I don't have any idea what upgrades will be available to my gladiator.

They honestly should have gone full-on Diablo with the gear/equipment. Give me random drops in single and multiplayer. Let me trade items with friends. Grinding for gold and XP is not enough to motivate continued play.

Ryse reminds me a lot of Too Human. Fun and absolutely sublime combat with a lot of room for depth and variation, but not enough content to really keep me playing.

Top Bottom