• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

~Kinggi~

Banned
Good to see it is a good game, i am sure the developers are either relieved or disappointed depending on what happened in development.

Z3F

Banned
With all the hoopla over DMC4 going multiplatform, I almost forgot about this game. Glad to see it get a good review from gamespot. I've been waiting a long time to play a new FPS on the 8800GTX. Is it available for online purchase anywhere? I'll like to start downloading it tonight if possible.

Odrion

Banned
White Man said:
Also, I don't want to see any more impressions until this game is out, unless you are a press person.

emot-rock.gif

Reviews look great, although the mention of bugs and a high system requirement makes me sad.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Linkup said:
Thought they weren't going to have it until Wednesday. Did they have both DVD and CD versions?

I have no idea. The clerk just pulled it up in inventory. I guess you get some kind of bonus with it, too. Anyway, they're not selling it until 2pm Wednesday. Booo.

Reviews and impressions pretty much have me sold, but I'm wary it'll run like a dog on my crusty old 6800 GT, even on medium settings. Crusty as in I spent $300 on it less than 2 years ago. Sigh. Any older card benchmarks out there yet?

Linkup

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Reviews and impressions pretty much have me sold, but I'm wary it'll run like a dog on my crusty old 6800 GT, even on medium settings. Crusty as in I spent $300 on it less than 2 years ago. Sigh. Any older card benchmarks out there yet?

You should be fine as long as you have a decent cpu and don't run it at a ridiculous res.

Munin said:
I hope this game is moddable so people can perhaps bring back some of the features that have been cut.

The editor should be able to produce stuff other than multiplayer map with a few tweaks. Personally can't wait to get my hands on it and check it out.

Borys

Banned
I want to apologise to Chiggs for calling him a blind Xbox fanboy in the (very distant) past. Sometimes I act like an irrational idiot, sorry.

FLEABttn

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:

MP beta ran fine on my 2800+ AMD 64, 1 gig ram, and a 6600GT on high settings, although I had to put the lighting to static. Any sort of dynamic lighting, while very pretty, brough my FPS down to less than 1.

Sjoerd

It seems that setting the lighting to static makes this game playable on just about anything.

Setting lighting to dynamic makes it playable on just about nothing.

Good to see it getting good reviews being the company's first game and hope people will end up buying it in respect.

Anyone here going to be making a coop mod for this? wandering through the country with your mate would make this so much more enjoyable, plus the trading system would work very well in helping each other out.

uhh one more week to go D:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Borys said:
I want to apologise to Chiggs for calling him a blind Xbox fanboy in the (very distant) past. Sometimes I act like an irrational idiot, sorry.

LOL

Apology accepted. I never thought I'd be back into pc gaming, but, quite frankly, outside of a few games, next-gen has been a real letdown.

I'll never turn my back on it again. I've learned my lesson.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm considering borrowing a CRT monitor from work just to play this. :p

I really hope it runs decently with DX8 settings.

Borys

Banned
Chiggs said:
LOL

Apology accepted. I never thought I'd be back into pc gaming, but, quite frankly, outside of a few games, next-gen has been a real letdown.

I'll never turn my back on it again. I've learned my lesson.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ain't exactly next-gen either, *zing*!

That being said I have this strange Deus Ex vibe from reading the reviews and looking at screens. The vibe that tells me this will be a very good, overlooked game!

Zenith

Banned
anyone else think that commercially this will be a failure? non-shiny graphics AND high system requirements? gameplay-wise it's going to be very hardcore. no running and gunning. can't see it appealing much to anyone outside of the internet.

Zenith said:
anyone else think that commercially this will be a failure? non-shiny graphics AND high system requirements? gameplay-wise it's going to be very hardcore. no running and gunning. can't see it appealing much to anyone outside of the internet.

I think it'll do decent in the US-the reviews are good and the word of mouth is probably going to snowball the game pretty well.

I think it'll sell very well in Europe.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zenith said:

You might have a point. But there are a couple of things I just want to point out:

1. There are some shiny pixel shader effects.
2. Gothic III sold over 500,000 copies.

Taking that into account, plus the generally positive reviews, I'm going to predict 800k in sales--and that's without any videocard pack-in deals they manage to land.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zenith said:

The game will make huge bank in Europe where PC gaming is still a serious force. In North America, yea it probably won't do so hot.

Borys

Banned
Zenith said:

Gothic 3 has insane requirements and insane bugs and it sold a lot.

Americans don't play any PC games so you can count out that market for every upcoming PC game including Crysis.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The system requirements are being severely overstated. Looking over on Rage3D, I can see that some of the folks are already putting together some tweaking tips, and even with Dynamic lighting on, you can generally get pretty good framerates as long as you make a few sacrifices (like grass detail, for instance).

And then there's always the .cfg file. Lot's of stuff you can do in there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sweet, my copy arrived today. Can't wait to fire it up.

EDIT: Damnit. I forgot I ordered Custom Robo. That's what the package was... no STALKER yet.

Gamespot is usually pretty awesome about having a tuning guide for the big PC releases. They had one for Supreme Commander that was great, and their NWN2 one was very helpful for me as well.

Look for that a week or two after the game comes out if you're having performance issues still.

Kabouter

Zenith said:

High system requirements? I think FartofWar said he was playing this smoothly with a 9800 pro, which is, if I'm not mistaken, a four year old videocard. And you don't need graphics to sell. I fact, many of the best selling PC games look like ass (like the ever popular World of Warcraft)

Schafer said:
The game will make huge bank in Europe where PC gaming is still a serious force. In North America, yea it probably won't do so hot.

Bingo.

1-D_FTW

FartOfWar: What kind of settings were you running with your 9800? I'm not building a new computer until summer/fall and the strong Deus Ex vibe makes me want to play it now.

Chiggs said:
You might have a point. But there are a couple of things I just want to point out:

1. There are some shiny pixel shader effects.
2. Gothic III sold over 500,000 copies.

Taking that into account, plus the generally positive reviews, I'm going to predict 800k in sales--and that's without any videocard pack-in deals they manage to land.

Gothic 3 sold that many copies!! Even after all the bad word of mouth and reviews..

FartOfWar

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
FartOfWar: What kind of settings were you running with your 9800? I'm not building a new computer until summer/fall and the strong Deus Ex vibe makes me want to play it now.

I'll check on that when I get home and post settings in detail.
Oh, and Stalker will be fire in Germany.

Victrix

*beard*
Zenith said:
shouldn't this be stickied as an Official release thread for a high-profile game?

Console age mang

Anyway, no time to play this during the week :(

Eagerly looking forward to impressions, I'll be binging on this over the weekend barring any horrible suckage

White Man

Zenith said:
shouldn't this be stickied as an Official release thread for a high-profile game?

Depends how much interest there is, really. I don't want to sticky it if it's the same 6 people posting in it over and over again. I'd also like to at least wait until more people get copies.

White Man said:
This isn't their first game.

The Cossacks series sold over 2.5 million copies in Europe. I was suprised to learn that, given that the games were pretty much niche-at-best here in the US.

FartOfWar

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
The Cossacks series sold over 2.5 million copies in Europe. I was suprised to learn that, given that the games were pretty much niche-at-best here in the US.

Yet another reason why NPD numbers aren't especially telling.

FartOfWar said:
Yet another reason why NPD numbers aren't especially telling.

They're still interesting, but I agree, yeah, they don't really matter too much. Especially the way that most of the top 20 PC games have incredibly long legs (WoW, The Sims 2, Age of Empires, etc.) that make the charts all crazy, whereas the console stuff generally doesn't see those same kind of phenomenon and it's mostly current new releases at the top.

Semi-OT, but-

One thing I took the time to do yesterday (couldn't game, was sick in bed w/ my laptop) was look at how some of the PC forums out there and how the posts regarding the game are handled from a piracy point of view, and the nudge-nudge, wink-wink way in which piracy was danced around but never really mentioned was sort of astounding. That was, of course, when it wasn't outright defended and rationalized.

I came away in thinking that most of the issues that Epic/id hinted at in their recent remarks were really due to the total lax way that the core PC gamer scene treats pirates in their own midst-with not nearly enough hostility and disdain.

FartOfWar

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
They're still interesting, but I agree, yeah, they don't really matter too much. Especially the way that most of the top 20 PC games have incredibly long legs (WoW, The Sims 2, Age of Empires, etc.) that make the charts all crazy, whereas the console stuff generally doesn't see those same kind of phenomenon and it's mostly current new releases at the top.

Semi-OT, but-

One thing I took the time to do yesterday (couldn't game, was sick in bed w/ my laptop) was look at how some of the PC forums out there and how the posts regarding the game are handled from a piracy point of view, and the nudge-nudge, wink-wink way in which piracy was danced around but never really mentioned was sort of astounding. That was, of course, when it wasn't outright defended and rationalized.

I came away in thinking that most of the issues that Epic/id hinted at in their recent remarks were really due to the total lax way that the core PC gamer scene treats pirates in their own midst-with not nearly enough hostility and disdain.

We had a version of this very discussion happen in a GFW forum thread about Peggle (of all places). And yeah, it's saddens me, too.

Kabouter

It's ridiculous there is actually acceptance of piracy within the PC world, especially since this does not seem to exist among consoles. When I see people talking about pirating console games, I see flamewars erupting. When someone says they downloaded a PC game, it's fine it seems. Hell, there's plenty of people who say they buy all their console games, and none of their PC games. It's a shame such a culture of acceptance exists, and there's really no way to fight it I guess :(.

Victrix

*beard*
Fragamemnon said:

shrug, you see the same thing on console forums

hell, the gamefaqs forums for most gameboy games are egregiously bad

plenty of pc forums are very hostile towards pirates, or outright ban them if they try to make too many sly comments pre-release (or even post release)

I doubt we'll ever know how widespread the problem really is, but the large number of high quality devs going over either partially or totally to the console world is telling

FartOfWar said:
We had a version of this very discussion happen in a GFW forum thread about Peggle (of all places). And yeah, it's saddens me, too.

I just read that thread. I think it's amazing that people would defend piracy like that, given that they are on a board hosted by people who work on a personal level with game creators and publishers every damn day. It's almost as if there's a segment of core PC gamers that think it's their damn right to pirate a game if they want. Stealing bitches, made even more insane by how damn cheap PC games are to buy new compared to their console counterparts.

It's a shame such a culture of acceptance exists, and there's really no way to fight it I guess :(.

I think we all sort of have to do our part in this. I'm hoping that in future embargoing reviews from non-press for unreleased PC games will continue. It's a start-even if people are pirating the game here, at least they can't talk about it and entice others to do the same instead of going out and buying it like honest folk.

Piracy on PC is weak, the worst part is that it cant really be stopped (atleast now with Bluray, PS3 has a chance to stop piracy).

I would think especially Stalker would need support, and its only $40.

Victrix said:
plenty of pc forums are very hostile towards pirates, or outright ban them if they try to make too many sly comments pre-release (or even post release)

I really only know of two big ones. One is occupied by gaming press/developers and no one pirates there anyway, the other a bunch of real core PC addicts. The hardware-slanted boards were full of pirates for their S.T.A.L.K.E.R. threads, that's for sure.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sweet! I got another package today, and it's STALKER for real this time. Only 4 more hours of work....

Top Bottom