• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Finally got it working after reinstalling Catalyst drivers. It turned out that the ATI command line interface was causing problems.

It's a little buggy still, but I'm digging the atmosphere. Within a minute or so, I was running across the countryside launching a hobo war, interrupting some **** with an acoustic guitar by putting a few rounds near him.

However, just when I was getting into it, I found that the hostage I was sent to rescue wouldn't speak to me. Sure enough, it was because there was an enemy I hadn't yet killed. Oh well.

As soon as I leave the car park, I get chased by some beasts into a heavily fortified camp and get wrecked within seconds.

I look forward to poopsocking this game this weekend.

Any1

Damn it, It's probably been mentioned earlier in this long thread somewhere and I hate to be that guy, but since i will never have a rig that can run this game, has there ever been any word, rumor, hope that it may ever be ported to the 360/PS3? I've seen the reviews and it looks like an incredible game, so i'm hoping it comes to a console so that i can play it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
People seriously need to get over the whole dynamic lighting option. The game looks fine without it, and 99% of folks will not be able to get acceptable framerates while using it. Just play the game on static and stop crying.

Woakes

Jesus there's some graphics snobbery at work in this thread.

AMD 2.8
ati 9800xt
1gig ram

basicly my "hot 3 years ago" system.

1440x900 (widescreen) everything but dynamic lighting as max as it will go (dreamcast and n64 comparisons are ludicrous). Static lighting is nowhere near 'static' either.
40+ fps at all times and even turned vsnyc on because at a lot of times I peak my refresh rate.

People expecting to run at 1600x1200 with max anti-aliasing all the time and full on hdr with 60+ fps (omg I can see a pixel, unplayable), whatever their rig, really get on my nerves :p

Pimpbaa

big_z said:
Athlon 64 3200+
256MB 6800GT
2GB ram

stalker = not playable

the game is only worth playing with full dynamic lighting as that's what helps create the mood, problem is the coding is horrible. even with all the settings set to low but dynamic lighting on getting a 30fps framerate is rare and the game looks like a friggen n64 title at these settings.

if the lighting is off it runs awesome with everything maxed out but it looks horrible. it's like they tossed in the shader effects at the last minute and didn't bother to optimize it.

I can understand someone with a decent system complaining but yours is quite outdated. Also, the game is far from "unplayable" with full dynamic lighting off. That's just pure graphic whore'ism.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
FartOfWar said:
...any more than I want to see a woman and say "legs: 7, ass: 5, breasts: 8, smile: 9, hair: 3, overall: 7."

Yeah, but didn't you do that on the subway when we went to Namco in Yokohama?

Defcon

Banned
I've found out I get a lot better performance with dynamic lighting on in a non widescreen resolution. Bumping down the texture detail and shadows with no AA or AF also helps.

Hopefully they will optimize it more in a patch.

Borys

Banned
Man, the game sounds DOPE like Deus Ex kind of DOPENESS.

Victim: turn off dynamic lighting, check if FSAA is on etc. It can't run that bad on your awesome rig :(

big_z

Pimpbaa said:
I can understand someone with a decent system complaining but yours is quite outdated. Also, the game is far from "unplayable" with full dynamic lighting off. That's just pure graphic whore'ism.

Out dated sure but the game isn't that good looking. It should run better than it does...

turning off dynamic lighting makes a huge difference in how the game looks. everything from weather effects to how places are lit completely change for the worse. when your games most important feature is atmosphere yet the only way you can play it is by removing 95% of it then it's not worth playing imo.... at least not until upgrade time.

Redbeard

Banned
I think I ran into a bug. One of the missions has you going to kill an imposter salesman or something. I go to the marker where there's a few guys sitting around a fire, but there's no salesman. I've gone back there at different times and still nothing. Anyone know what's going on with this?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Redbeard said:
I think I ran into a bug. One of the missions has you going to kill an imposter salesman or something. I go to the marker where there's a few guys sitting around a fire, but there's no salesman. I've gone back there at different times and still nothing. Anyone know what's going on with this?

Yeah, eventually the group at the fire separated and I was able to tell who it was by the blip on the map...shot him and it completed the mission.

Kinan

GAF said:
...Unable to run the game with dynamic lighting really sucks...got it working after reinstalling Catalyst drivers. It turned out that the ATI command line interface....2GB Dual-Chan DDR2 XFX 2x7600GT SLI for a total of 512MB on 16X PCI-E WDC Raptor 150GB - RAID 0.... I've found out I get a lot better performance with dynamic lighting on in a non widescreen resolution...

Oh, that wonderful world of PC gaming... :)

big_z said:
Athlon 64 3200+
256MB 6800GT
2GB ram

stalker = not playable

the game is only worth playing with full dynamic lighting as that's what helps create the mood, problem is the coding is horrible. even with all the settings set to low but dynamic lighting on getting a 30fps framerate is rare and the game looks like a friggen n64 title at these settings.

if the lighting is off it runs awesome with everything maxed out but it looks horrible. it's like they tossed in the shader effects at the last minute and didn't bother to optimize it.

Dude, you wish N64 titles looked like this. The game looks great even without the dynamic lighting.

Kabouter

Just ordered the tin edition :)
Can't wait to get it, really looking forward to it after all the positive reviews and impressions from Shawn and others in this thread.

Kabouter said:
Just ordered the tin edition :)
Can't wait to get it, really looking forward to it after all the positive reviews and impressions from Shawn and others in this thread.

Where did you find a tin edition?

Kabouter

Fallout-NL said:
Where did you find a tin edition?
Free Record Shop, definitely not too cheap though. But I figured it was a very nice CE, and one with extras I'm actually interested in so I decided to spend the extra 15.

Kabouter said:
Free Record Shop, definitely not too cheap though. But I figured it was a very nice CE, and one with extras I'm actually interested in so I decided to spend the extra 15.

Cool, thnx. Ill check it out.

1-D_FTW

I hope it's not a mistake, but I'm gonna pick this up at Circuit City next week for 29.99. Hope my Radeon 9800 doesn't make it burn my eyes too badly.

Beaulieu

Beaulieu said:
This game is damn hard. Well, im at the 3rd level of difficulty (out of 4) and its quite hard. I have a few questions.

When you arrive in the garbage, and hellp the 3 guys getting rid of the bandits, covering behind the cars and stuff, is it normal that after succeding the mission, a shitload more bandits coming by ? Is there infinite respawn in this game ? And how come some NPCs are gettin into radioactive area without any problem, while I die when going there ?

:(

Solo

Picking this hotness up tomorrow. Can't wait!

Deus Ex is my favorite game of all-time (not just PC, but overall), so you can imagine how much all these "its like Deus Ex!" comments are getting me extremely pumped.

Scotch

Kabouter said:
I'm glad I waited, I just got the LE at Play.com for €39,- ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Found it last night as well.

I like it so far, but I haven't really formed a solid opinion yet. It's certainly challenging, I know that much. The situations seem rather open ended and the AI is quite impressive. I've noticed a few oddities, such as the hostage refusing to respond until all enemies were cleared out.

I'm happy with the performance at this point. I'm stuck with static lighting, but everything else is cranked up. I'm playing at 1280x800 and the game basically runs at a solid 60 fps. I would love to use dynamic lighting, but there's simply no way my 3.6 P4/6800/1gb PC could handle that well. I turned my LCD backlight all the way down, however, and that actually enhances the atmopshere. Everything becomes dim, of course, but it also feels more atmospheric while allowing dark areas to appear dark.

I actually kind of wish the game were a bit less populated, to be honest. Rare encounters tend to keep the atmosphere high (especially if each encounter is potentially deadly). It simply feels as if the whole field is filled with random dudes and creatures wandering about. Of course, I haven't moved too far into the zone so perhaps that will change.

Woakes said:
Jesus there's some graphics snobbery at work in this thread.

AMD 2.8
ati 9800xt
1gig ram

basicly my "hot 3 years ago" system.

1440x900 (widescreen) everything but dynamic lighting as max as it will go (dreamcast and n64 comparisons are ludicrous). Static lighting is nowhere near 'static' either.
40+ fps at all times and even turned vsnyc on because at a lot of times I peak my refresh rate.

People expecting to run at 1600x1200 with max anti-aliasing all the time and full on hdr with 60+ fps (omg I can see a pixel, unplayable), whatever their rig, really get on my nerves :p
thank you woakes, you just told me that i can run it on my machine.

Kabouter

mxz said:
Anyone tried running it on a MacBook Pro (via BootCamp obviously)? Results? Playable?
It should work well, X1600 is a pretty good chip, sure you're not going to be maxing everything. But it'll run well, and probably look pretty good too.

Borys said:
Man, the game sounds DOPE like Deus Ex kind of DOPENESS.

Victim: turn off dynamic lighting, check if FSAA is on etc. It can't run that bad on your awesome rig :(
Yes I did some tweaking and now it's holding around 60FPS or so. Dynamic Lighting was dropping at least 20FPS all over the place. I'm really suprised that the coding for that is that bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
VictimOfGrief said:
Yes I did some tweaking and now it's holding around 60FPS or so. Dynamic Lighting was dropping at least 20FPS all over the place. I'm really suprised that the coding for that is that bad.
I'm sure it's a mix of coding and demands. It's not as if those shadows are free or anything. It's actually an incredibly demanding feature which is made worse by the large world here.

dark10x said:
I'm sure it's a mix of coding and demands. It's not as if those shadows are free or anything. It's actually an incredibly demanding feature which is made worse by the large world here.
Well I would expect them to patch this game quite frequently because people will not stand for this type of performance.

Acosta

I am happy with Dynamic Lighting and 45 FPS, the DL is awesome and makes the game looks incredible at some points.

Defcon

Banned
GSC are definitely going to be supporting the game heavily. They had no choice but to release the game 1st quarter of this year or THQ was going to drop them and they just barely made that.

Thaedolus

I like this game a lot so far, but I can't help but wish the interface was a little smoother. It just seems sort of clunky the way it's set up, and some of the scenarios seem sort of glitchy...but overall I love the atmosphere and scale of the game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I have to wait until 2pm to pick this up at Best Buy--even though they already have it in stock.

Can anyone shed some light on what the pack-in bonus is?

Edit: Also, Mods, does this thread justify a sticky yet?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chiggs said:
I have to wait until 2pm to pick this up at Best Buy--even though they already have it in stock.

It'll get stickied at some point, don't worry about it.

Defcon

Banned
Chiggs said:

The bonus is just a code to unlock two multiplayer maps and skins. Kinda lame considering you can see the MP maps under the map listing in-game and they are grayed out until you enter the code.

Preordered it from BestBuy.com, but I got an e-mail saying it's back ordered so no idea when it's actually going to get here. My own fault for being too lazy to actually drive to the store (which is like half an hour away), but if it doesn't ship by this weekend then I'll probably just cancel the order and go pick it up somwhere...

bee

finding the game to be tough but still fun,the ai sure likes to flank you doesn't it and found a few comparison shots of dynamic vs static for people to compare.

light1bi7.jpg

light2hs0.jpg

light3si6.jpg

Kabouter

bee said:
finding the game to be tough but still fun,the ai sure likes to flank you doesn't it and found a few comparison shots of dynamic vs static for people to compare.
Okay, there's some serious differences there.
Oh well, I'll just have to settle for static (X2 4200+, 2GB, 7800GTX). Gameplay should more than make up for it anyway.

Magicked

SlaughterX said:
Preordered it from BestBuy.com, but I got an e-mail saying it's back ordered so no idea when it's actually going to get here. My own fault for being too lazy to actually drive to the store (which is like half an hour away), but if it doesn't ship by this weekend then I'll probably just cancel the order and go pick it up somwhere...

That happened to me as well. I called them and had them cancel the online order, which they did quickly. I then ran to the store and I now have my copy in hand. :D

And nice comparison shots, Bee. Dynamic lighting looks nice, but normal doesn't look too bad to me either.

Defcon

Banned
I've given up trying to play the game with dynamic lighting. Even at 800x600, shadows at 50%, with AA and AF off, I only get 15 fps. With static lighting, I can run everything at max @ 1400x900 and get 60 fps.

This is on an E6600, 2 gig DDR2@667MHZ, Geforce 7900GS running Vista HP.

Top Bottom