• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Loudninja

Thrakier said:
Obviously PC. Best Performance and best graphics. For consoles it seems to be 360 > PS3 because of the perfromance, however both versions are supposed to run bad, especially in coop.

What the hell? have you played any of those version to make those comparisons?

Thrakier

Aurora said:
Thrakier, why are you so bitter? Every post you've made has been bashing the game and you've never played it on consoles yet. Just chill, wait for your EU copy and then judge once you've experienced it.

I don't know. I guess I really wished that this games runs good because I can't stand bad framerates at all, even if it's a genre where framerate is not that important. I loved the first one and just wanted this port to turn out really really good. Sorry guys, won't bother you anymore...till amazon uk delivers my copy. :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
Loudninja said:
What the hell? have you played any of those version to make those comparisons?

Of course not, but he has been posting this kind of stuff non-stop in this thread despite me posting info directly from the developer saying the two look and perform the same.

Thanks. Well, I don't expect Grandmaster (Eurogamer) to actually measure it, it's not that big a title. But it is pretty funny that reviewers can't decide which version is smoother or prettier. They are just really close. Sometimes the 360 wins out on a frame, sometimes the PS3 does. But they should always generate the same pixels.

bjaelke

So my lvl 32 Dryad went up against the first boss. He threw a rock and instantly killed me (4x400 dmg). Then I tried him with my lvl 16 Warrior afterwards and he kills the boss without using a potion :lol Both characters play on silver.

Ricker

Thrakier said:
I don't know. I guess I really wished that this games runs good because I can't stand bad framerates at all, even if it's a genre where framerate is not that important. I loved the first one and just wanted this port to turn out really really good. Sorry guys, won't bother you anymore...till amazon uk delivers my copy. :D

Nah it's ok man and you guys will probably get the patch for console that fixes the save corruptions day one,and the buggy quests and all,the offline co-op trading will be fixed and they might even fix a lot more stuff also that will probably help the framerate,which isn't that bad anyway...it's not worst then Mass Effect,or Oblivion most of the time and definetly better then Two Worlds,which isn't hard to do though lol.

I think if you loved the first Sacred and looking forward to this one,you should be a little forgiving of the framerate dips,that occur at times.The vsynch/screen tearing,in some area's,actually bother me a bit more at times.

Thrakier

Ricker said:
Nah it's ok man and you guys will probably get the patch for console that fixes the save corruptions day one,and the buggy quests and all,the offline co-op trading will be fixed and they might even fix a lot more stuff also that will probably help the framerate,which isn't that bad anyway...it's not worst then Mass Effect,or Oblivion most of the time and definetly better then Two Worlds,which isn't hard to do though lol.

Is there an official announcement for a PS3-Patch? I don't think so.

I think if you loved the first Sacred and looking forward to this one,you should be a little forgiving of the framerate dips,that occur at times.The vsynch/screen tearing,in some area's,actually bother me a bit more at times.

I'm less bothered by framerate dips than by an overall bad framerate below 30. Dips are ok if there are a lot of enemies. And yeah, bad framerate AND tearing...*sigh* Whatever.

Aurora

No official word on a PS3 patch but you can be certain it's coming. Ascaron aren't going to support one version and not the other, especially on a simultaneous release.

PuMa

Loudninja said:
I really great shield with a red dragon on it, it has 270 defense :D

Stallworth Safeguard. I've been using that shield for a while now. Only a small percentage of that 270 is phsyical defense, but it's still one of the better shields in the game.

By the way, I just completed the game on silver! Time to move on to gold. :D

Drek

Thrakier said:
Is there an official announcement for a PS3-Patch? I don't think so.

I'm less bothered by framerate dips than by an overall bad framerate below 30. Dips are ok if there are a lot of enemies. And yeah, bad framerate AND tearing...*sigh* Whatever.
The publisher's reps on a couple sites (most notably the official Sacred forums) have said they are producing the exact same patching for the PS3 version as the 360 one. There isn't confirmation that it is off to Sony for QA like there is for the 360 verison, but all indications are that they'll be out near the same time.

As for the game's performance, I've put probably a good 30 hours into it now between two characters, one soloing and one in co-op. As long as you set the camera to static I don't notice much framerate issues.

It gets a little below 30 at times, but nothing real bad, probably bottoms out at 25. A 5 fps swing or so each way isn't going to detract from the game experience, and I've never seen it go slideshow yet, despite multiple times in which I've agroed over 20 enemies to catch them in an array shot from my inquisitor.

The screen tearing largely seems to be a problem if you don't set your camera to static as well. Honestly, I didn't leave it on the other setting very long so I didn't even notice much of a difference before changing over. All in all it runs better than any other console release I've seen in the genre, because while it doesn't hold as high or steady a framerate in general (though still acceptable) I've never had it slideshow on me.

Ascaron obviously was shooting for a very tight window between visual and framerate performance on the console releases, and I'd say they by and large hit it very well. Maybe a little less environmental effects (like grass/trees swaying and all that) would've let them pick up the extra couple frames needed to lock it at 30, but it hasn't detracted from my game experience whatsoever.

All I want to see is the co-op trading patch so I can start sharing all the loots my level 20 Inquisitor has with my girlfriend's High Elf and Seraphim.

Artadius

I only notice slowdown at one specific point of my experience...

When I gather up about 30 or 40 kobolds before letting lose my Blazing Tempest AOE attack and they all croak on the screen at once. The green XP numbers blast across my screen like crazy lol.

Ok, got my sera to 11, and finally have some understanding of the game - thanks to this thread.

So now I'm going to start a high elf, on silver. Bronze eventually got a little too easy, but was a good way to learn. This time, I'm coming prepared with a list of the skills I intend to learn, and a better idea of what I'd like my dude to become.

Technical difficulties aside, I'm really enjoying the game - don't regret the pickup one bit.

Aurora

Gamer @ Heart said:
Does increasing my dual wield skill over ride my sword skill upgrades? God i hope not.
Your Dual Wield skill and Sword skill are completely independent. If using two weapons, your DW skill comes into play, if using a single weapon (sword) then your Sword skill comes into play. You might see this as a waste of a skill but the real reason people choose both DW and Sword is to use two weapons while getting all the bonuses Sword Weapons provides. I use it myself and have fantastic results. :)

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Thrakier said:
I meant offline coop, not online. With offline coop the problem is that the camera is zoomed out as far as possible which really hurts the framerate. Someone suggested that the framerate doesn't even hit the 25 mark in offline coop. If true, they really have some balls to put something like that on the market.

I've only played offline co-op so far, and I'd disagree with this. The only place I've found any truly noticable slow down is in a town we just found,
Griffinborough
. Other than that, it's been relatively reliable, IMO. For reference, we've been using the fixed camera angle, I think it's called. The biggest problem seems to be architecture rendering combined with numerous people running amok. Christ, I love this game!

HiResDes

Phreaker said:
1Up claimed it was better than the PC version and both they and Gaming Age gave it "A"s. You only brought up two bad reviews. Just wait, you can't even see all the underground stuff on the map. Some of the underground areas are very big.
Its big, but its far from seamless, there are far too many walls and dead ends that keep the game from really being an explorer's dream...Plus your character can't swim or walk in shallow water, what the fuck is that? I'm also really annoyed at all how often enemies spawn, you cannot walk two feet outside of a town without being bombarded by them. The draw distance is quite shitty, as well. All this adds up to a game to game with a world just dying to be explored, but also with a shitload of hindrances that really sour the experience.

Loudninja

PuMa said:
Stallworth Safeguard. I've been using that shield for a while now. Only a small percentage of that 270 is phsyical defense, but it's still one of the better shields in the game.

By the way, I just completed the game on silver! Time to move on to gold. :D

Yep thats the one,great shield :D

Phreaker

HiResDes said:
Its big, but its far from seamless, there are far too many walls and dead ends that keep the game from really being an explorer's dream...Plus your character can't swim or walk in shallow water, what the fuck is that?

I've been able to walk across shallow water. There are places where you can cross streams without a bridge and without using a movement CA. Actually, in one dungeon I was even underwater, but I am not sure that's supposed to happen. :D

Aurora

Gamer @ Heart said:
Ok. That makes me feel a bit better.
Swords have really powerful unlockable bonuses, particularly Unique and Legendary swords. Critical bonus, chance to ignore armour, inflict wounds, opponent's armour -% just to name a few. All of these would be unavailable if you didn't specify in a weapon skill thereby reducing your offensive power. Hope that makes you feel a lot better :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
HiResDes said:
Its big, but its far from seamless, there are far too many walls and dead ends that keep the game from really being an explorer's dream...Plus your character can't swim or walk in shallow water, what the fuck is that? I'm also really annoyed at all how often enemies spawn, you cannot walk two feet outside of a town without being bombarded by them. The draw distance is quite shitty, as well. All this adds up to a game to game with a world just dying to be explored, but also with a shitload of hindrances that really sour the experience.
I havent had too much of a problem with the barriers. Most of them seem logical and i wouldnt expect to be able to travel passed them. In fact i often find places that i thought werent accessible because of how they looked on the map.

Ricker

DemonSwordsman said:
OK so is this game really like Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance like it says in OP? does it have local coop?

Yes,on both consoles,you can even bring local/couch co-op online on the 360 and that's getting fixed on the PS3 soon as well I believe.

Thrakier

Though on 360 both users have to have a gold account which costs additional money (depending on the offline partner of course). But that was my main reason to go for the PS3 version.

Question: I'm playing offline coop with my brother, and I'm getting nearly all of the good loot. Why?

We both started new characters, and are the same level.

For example, we just finished a quest, and as a reward, four runes were handed out. I got all of them.

Phreaker

Thrakier said:
Though on 360 both users have to have a gold account which costs additional money

Not really, if both characters are under one profile that has gold they can both go online. One as the gamertag/profile and one as their guest.

GreekWolf

I love all the little easter eggs scattered throughout the world.

After slugging my way to the bottom of an ancient crypt, I found Bill Gates' tomb. :lol

It read,
"Life isn't fair, you'd better get used to it."

Ok, what the fuck. I've encountered some glitch where none of my characters can move at all, or really do anything. The world loads, but left analog does nothing except spin my character aimlessly in circles. Is my game done?

GreekWolf

Revengeance said:
Ok, what the fuck. I've encountered some glitch where none of my characters can move at all, or really do anything. The world loads, but left analog does nothing except spin my character aimlessly in circles. Is my game done?
Yikes! Have you tried to access the world map, and teleport out of the glitch?

Earlier today, the game loaded my character into a tree, but I was able to manually teleport to a nearby town.

GreekWolf said:
Yikes! Have you tried accessing the world map, and teleport out of the glitch?

Earlier today, the game loaded my character into a tree, but I was able to manually teleport to a nearby town.

Yep, I can teleport around, and even use my high elf teleport to sort of get around, but cannot do anything else. Enemies are standing still, and cannot be attacked (and don't attack me). Very odd.

I think it might be a disc problem - I tried installing the game, and got a dirty disc error (ruh roh). The disc does have a small scratch, despite only being moved from the case to the xbox and never removed.

:(

GreekWolf

Revengeance said:
I think it might be a disc problem - I tried installing the game, and got a dirty disc error (ruh roh). The disc does have a small scratch, despite only being moved from the case to the box and never removed.

:(
Wow, that sucks. Considering you've only had the game for a couple days, I think your best bet might be to report it as defective and exchange for another copy.

So I've started playing this with my wife in local co-op. It feels like a very natural next step after Baldur's Gate DA. However, I really wish that both of us could view our inventory at the same time. If we could do this on our 4:3 TV with Baldur's Gate, we should really be able to do it with a 16:9 TV for this game.

Quick question, is it possible to trade items in local co-op? We can't see how and it doesn't even seem like you can drop items so the other can pick it up.

If this has already been brought up, I apologize.

Xevren

Can't trade in local co-op as of yet, its one of the fixes that will be in the first patch coming out.

This game is so unbelievably buggy its unreal. I really like it but it seems like something pops up just to test me. At the moment im trying to buy health potions because I ran out on the last boss. The problem? None of said health potions are showing up in my inventory, I tried save and quitting but nothing seems to be working. Not like I can play a game when I cant even heal myself.

Drek

Aurora said:
Swords have really powerful unlockable bonuses, particularly Unique and Legendary swords. Critical bonus, chance to ignore armour, inflict wounds, opponent's armour -% just to name a few. All of these would be unavailable if you didn't specify in a weapon skill thereby reducing your offensive power. Hope that makes you feel a lot better :D
If there is no intention to ever not dual wield though it'd probably be the most judicious use of skill points to just leave swords at level 1 right?

Just curious because I'm thinking about adding swords skill to my dual wielding inquisitor.

Anyone been able to dual wield energy pistols? Tried today and it wouldn't go, so I'm guessing it isn't possible. Slight bummer there. ;P

Found a bad ass legendary weapon, two handed sword with 1 gray/1 silver/2 gold augment slots and a "+2 all combat arts, +3 all offensive skills" boost. My Inquisitor strictly dual wields so I boxed it up for my Shadow Warrior that I'm co-oping with the future wife's Seraphim.

Also found this crazy powerful two handed energy blaster with 1 gray/1 silver/1 gold augment slots, high damage for my current level, and some nice bonuses (though I can't recall off the top of my head). Makes for a great secondary/missile weapon accompany to my Inquisitor's dual swords.

Loudninja

Xevren said:
Can't trade in local co-op as of yet, its one of the fixes that will be in the first patch coming out.

This game is so unbelievably buggy its unreal. I really like it but it seems like something pops up just to test me. At the moment im trying to buy health potions because I ran out on the last boss. The problem? None of said health potions are showing up in my inventory, I tried save and quitting but nothing seems to be working. Not like I can play a game when I cant even heal myself.

Did you turn the system off?

Kauza

Now that we're all getting higher in level and presumably looking to complete sets, I thought it might be a good idea to start using our meetup thread as a trading thread too. I got it started with a post of a couple of set pieces that I've found as well as a three-star club.

Anyway, that thread's over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360597

I'll still be updating the list of GTs and PSN IDs, so feel free to continue adding those.

On another note, I have no idea how I played for so long without coming across this, but I wandered into my first thunderstorm this evening. I was a bit thrown off with the entire screen flashed white; I figured the weather effects only went as far as the occasional drops of rain. Pretty cool.

noonche

Got this for the weekend and played with it for about 3 hours. Started a High Elf, a Seraphim and the Temple Guard thing to see which I liked. God, the frame-rate a screen-tearing is awful. The game seems alright apart from that, but it's giving me a headache.

Eccocid

alske said:
Got this for the weekend and played with it for about 3 hours. Started a High Elf, a Seraphim and the Temple Guard thing to see which I liked. God, the frame-rate a screen-tearing is awful. The game seems alright apart from that, but it's giving me a headache.

Yeah i think i won't be able to finish it...got bored after first 20 levels...Is it too much to ask for a smooth bug free games lately? :(

Eh, I just set the camera to fixed, then moved it in slightly closer than the default distance and I haven't really noticed too many frame-rate hitches or any tearing worth mentioning.

Thrakier

Bootaaay said:
Eh, I just set the camera to fixed, then moved it in slightly closer than the default distance and I haven't really noticed too many frame-rate hitches or any tearing worth mentioning.

Which version and what happens if you zoom out completly...?

Okay...for those who have the PS3 version:

1. Are the framerate/tearing issues really that bad?
  2. Are there trophies?
  3. Is the gameplay good?
  4. Online Co-op works well?

Thrakier said:
Which version and what happens if you zoom out completly...?

PS3 version - if I zoom all the way out the framerate becomes a bit jumpy, nothing too serious, just enough to start giving me a headache if i'm playing for a prolonged amount of time so I just keep the camera slightly zoomed in and it seems fine. Haven't noticed any tearing since I set the camera to static rather than to follow.

ChackanKun said:

2. Are there trophies?
  3. Is the gameplay good?

1. Not that bad if you play with the settings, see my post above.

2. Yes, there are trophies.

3. Yes, if you're a fan of lootwhoring games, you will love this.

4. Yep, seems to - haven't had much of a chance to play around with online co-op yet, but I did spend about an hour in some guys game and it seemed fine other than the occasional bit of lag.

Quick question, are there special mount colors or are they always the same ? My Mystic Stormite spec, Wind Serpent is white and gold are they all white and gold?

GreekWolf

bjaelke said:
My Wind Serpent was red (Pyro specced) but now it's gone and so is my character :(
Whaaaaat? :(

With all these horror stories, I'm paranoid to even boot up my game until the patch is released. Ascaron submitted it to Microsoft last week, so there's zero excuse for them to be sitting on it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ChackanKun said:

2. Are there trophies?
  3. Is the gameplay good?

1. I never really have any issues unless my screen is filled with guys or I'm zoomed out all the way. Still then its not really a big issue to me. Frame rate isn't a big issue to me on lootwhore games.

2. Yes

3. If you enjoy these types of games, yes you will love the gameplay.

4. I only tried it a few times but it works well.

bjaelke

GreekWolf said:
Whaaaaat? :(

With all these horror stories, I'm paranoid to even boot up my game until the patch is released. Ascaron submitted it to Microsoft last week, so there's zero excuse for them to be sitting on it.
I put so much time and effort into that character that I almost(!) cried when I couldn't load the save. I'm not playing the game again before the patch comes out.

Top Bottom