• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Cahill

Banned
oneHeero said:
Had no idea this game was out. Wife has been asking what I want for father's day and I keep saying nothing. I'll be picking up Sacred 2 now asap.

Question though, how is the loot? Like does everyone already know the best items to have or is it more random like in Diablo? I hate joining a game like this whenever people already know whats the best and everyone has the best.

MAn I'm excited to get this game, I cant believe I didnt know it was out yet. Been waiting for this and Demon Souls.

Hmmm.. There are a few things that are considered the best for various reasons (Officers Sabers/BoneSlicers) but not really. I mean, even with fixed drops like armor sets there's so much loot with various attributes that the best for one character with a certain skill set stinks for another. Plus there's all the randomly generated named loot as well which can actually have much better attributes and bonuses than the set items (at least so far with my 5 characters)...

and since many of the high-end items have slots available you can customize them to add additional bonuses like attack/def +skills, Life Leech etc. and make em your own.

Flyguy

The game is out and it's fantastic. Really the first game of its kind on consoles.

There is some pretty good random loot, but the best items are set pieces, legendaries, and uniques.

No45

Ugh, is it actually possible to hurt the Kobold Chieftan as a Pyro Elf? Took him down with minimal fuss on my ICE HE, but I'm barely touching him here. :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No45 said:
Ugh, is it actually possible to hurt the Kobold Chieftan as a Pyro Elf? Took him down with minimal fuss on my ICE HE, but I'm barely touching him here. :/
Enchant weapon with another element and it'll change most of your damage to another type instead of fire.

Sweet sweet revenge.

Hammer24

Banned
Finally finished the Light Campaign yesterday with my Sera. Lvl 59 in the end.

BTW, has anyone actually come across a 4 star weapon/armor?

No45

Hazaro said:
Enchant weapon with another element and it'll change most of your damage to another type instead of fire.

Sweet sweet revenge.
Does that convert all outgoing damage, or just weapon damage?

Cahill

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Finally finished the Light Campaign yesterday with my Sera. Lvl 59 in the end.

BTW, has anyone actually come across a 4 star weapon/armor?

There aren't very many. Most will be 3*. There are a couple from quests like the Boneslicer and Axe from the Office quest.

Lain

How do you patch the PS3 version?
Yeah, silly question, but I load the game and it doesn't download any patch, so I'm wondering... maybe the US version hasn't been updated yet?

Lain

Ok, reading about it more, the patch was only for the EU version.
So that means the freeze problem hasn't been fixed (I mean, even if it was, I'd still experience it), so I'll have to keep saving constantly to not risk losing progress... bah. This sucks.

AndyMoogle said:
There are also the two Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on PS2/XBox/GC and the two Norrath games on PS2.

And the Neversoft games (Lodoss and the Shining Force stuff)...but they're very much streamlined console games. Diablo is way closer in spirit than any of these imo, I ignored them intentionally (I think the original poster did too).

Loudninja

Lain said:
Ok, reading about it more, the patch was only for the EU version.
So that means the freeze problem hasn't been fixed (I mean, even if it was, I'd still experience it), so I'll have to keep saving constantly to not risk losing progress... bah. This sucks.

Really? dammit :(

No45

Lain said:
How do you patch the PS3 version?
Yeah, silly question, but I load the game and it doesn't download any patch, so I'm wondering... maybe the US version hasn't been updated yet?
Yeah I think that's the case. The people I know that have patched (Myself included) are all on the UK version.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No45 said:
Does that convert all outgoing damage, or just weapon damage?
Converts the Fire damage to enchanted (e.g. Blazing Tempest now does 100% Magical damage) Physical stays the same I think, although it might be reduced by 33% or whatever the modifier is into magic.

GreekWolf

Over 220 hours logged (pathetic, ain't it?), with a level 70 SW, 27 Dryad, 23 HE, 14 Sera and 11 Inquisitor...

and still only 49% of the map explored. :lol

I think the only game I may have dedicated more time into was Oblivion.

So my solo character is a Level 41 Temple Guardian. Lately, like within the last few levels, my gun arm has completely stopped working. Anyone else have this problem on the 360 version?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Halp!

I am playing my Seraph a lot lately (its what I play when my gf and I cant co-op together) and she's getting pretty tough. I just hit gold and am level 50, got combat reflexes and WOW, huge difference and I only shoved 5 points into it - I am going to throw a bunch of points into this to make it more useful.

Anyway, onto the important stuff... HALP. I was online playing with some people, and this one guy (no mic) was -spamming- flaring nova and taking out groups of enemies in the 15's/20's with little to no effort. He'd just... spam it, like it had a 2 second cast time, and his cooldown was probably 3 seconds. With the mods he was using (I am guessing double wave + stun + increased damage) he didn't need us at all and he would tear through enemies. I wanna know how he did it!

From what I can imagine, he either:

1. Geared to reduce his cooldown in Revered Tech by a lot
2. Put a lot into his revered tech lore (I should probably be doing this anyway)
3. Got that thing that has a chance to reduce the next cast by 50% or something, I was talking to a high elf online who swore by that stat, but I am not 100% on the mechanics of it.

Currently have a 10sec cooldown on Flaring Nova, and if I get the tiger for rev tech spec (which now costs me 1mil goddamn) it will probably drop it down to 7sec. Is there anything I am not considering? It's going to be a few levels still before I can fully modify it + get its cooldown low enough for spams with what I am doing now (I'll put skill points into the lore for faster cast + modifications and maybe if I get lucky I'll find gear that'll reduce my cast, or just find set pieces that'll do it too) - should I bother with reducing my next cast by 50%?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Encounters are leveled to match your character, aren't they? Xanthiar is walking all over me at lvl 22(Silver).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Woo-Fu said:
Encounters are leveled to match your character, aren't they? Xanthiar is walking all over me at lvl 22(Silver).

A combination of things could lead to certain enemies giving you problems, whats your character/spec/damage element?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Kinitari said:
A combination of things could lead to certain enemies giving you problems, whats your character/spec/damage element?

Dryad, I can find fire resistance mods for armor but I can't find any ice damage mods for my weapons. I'm not getting any from ice elementals.

jorma

is now taking requests
No45 said:
Yeah I think that's the case. The people I know that have patched (Myself included) are all on the UK version.

Hmm what did this patch do? Didnt say, and i didnt notice anything different..

Cahill

Banned
Kinitari said:
Anyway, onto the important stuff... HALP. I was online playing with some people, and this one guy (no mic) was -spamming- flaring nova and taking out groups of enemies in the 15's/20's with little to no effort. He'd just... spam it, like it had a 2 second cast time, and his cooldown was probably 3 seconds. With the mods he was using (I am guessing double wave + stun + increased damage) he didn't need us at all and he would tear through enemies. I wanna know how he did it!

One of the best ways to decrease regen is by taking Combat Discipline along with the Art Focus. Just by putting flaring nova in a combo as a single art will greatly reduce the regen time. My Inq for example also has -% on hit items on and a 3 art combo with Combat Discipline. Once the combo finishes, I hit enemies with Ruthless Mut (hits multiples) and my combo is recharged. I can basically spam the thing.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Cahill said:
One of the best ways to decrease regen is by taking Combat Discipline along with the Art Focus. Just by putting flaring nova in a combo as a single art will greatly reduce the regen time. My Inq for example also has -% on hit items on and a 3 art combo with Combat Discipline. Once the combo finishes, I hit enemies with Ruthless Mut (hits multiples) and my combo is recharged. I can basically spam the thing.

Combat discipline eh, I only have one more skill slot left, haven't decided what to drop in their - I was thinking Toughness as I Just got combat reflexes... but maybe this will be more useful, I still have like 8 levels to decide.

Cahill

Banned
Kinitari said:
Combat discipline eh, I only have one more skill slot left, haven't decided what to drop in their - I was thinking Toughness as I Just got combat reflexes... but maybe this will be more useful, I still have like 8 levels to decide.

Dunno man. I have 5 characters all either done or with 1/2 slots left and the more I learn about the game the harder it's getting to pick skills. I had to make some seriously tough sacrifices at times and won't really know if it helped/hurt until Niob.

My High Elf will be the worst as I only have one choice left and really want to pick Ancient Magic for the last one, but she's also really really soft so another defensive skill like toughness is going to be very important for her later.

GreekWolf

It looks like an expansion pack called Ice & Blood is set to arrive sometime in July/August. PC only for now, but I'm willing to bet it'll see a console release sometime this year.

At least one new class confirmed - The Drachenmagier

2 new mounts - Unicorn, Flaming Stallion

2 new land masses - Blood Forest and Crystal Plane

New and unique creatures/boss monsters

New storyline

Thrakier

I don' know, I loved the first one but don't like the second one so far. Main complaint is that the tech is an catastrophe (PS3 version). In my whole life I never saw a game with tearing THAT bad. It really is constantly tearing, just horrible. Also the framerate is pretty shitty which is a minor complaint. But yeah, that's holding the experience back a lot. Also I'm playing the game only in co-op and the camera is too far away. I can't see shit, not my gear, not what my character does etc. - so there is a lot of fun lost because the game feels the same all the time. And one thing that doesn't help either is that it's too fucking easy. And I'm already playing silver. Why should I care about leveling etc. when I can beat every enemy without problems even if I only use my standard attack?

I really loved the first S1 but this one...don't know, it lost a lot of it's charme. Maybe it has something to do with the isometic camera perspective. Games like Champions of Norrath I didn't like either.

AwRy108

Thrakier said:
I don' know, I loved the first one but don't like the second one so far. Main complaint is that the tech is an catastrophe (PS3 version). In my whole life I never saw a game with tearing THAT bad. It really is constantly tearing, just horrible. Also the framerate is pretty shitty which is a minor complaint. But yeah, that's holding the experience bag a lot. Also I'm playing the game only in co-op and the camera is too far away. I can't see shit, not my gear, not what my character does etc. - so there is a lot of fun lost because the game feels the same all the time. And one thing that doesn't help either is that it's too fucking easy. And I'm already playing silver. Why should I care about leveling etc. when I can beat every enemy without problems even if I only use my standard attack?

I really loved the first S1 but this one...don't know, it lost a lot of it's charme. Maybe it has something to do with the isometic camera perspective. Games like Champions of Norrath I didn't like either.

You're still complaining about the graphics? No offense, but by this point, maybe you just shouldn't be part of this thread? Let the people who are actually enjoying the game alone.

I'll admit, the game's graphical fidelity isn't as solid as say, um, an Insomniac game; but overall, the amount of detail in the world is just short of stunning.

Besides, the gameplay freakin' rocks: Sacred 2 is the best hack-n-slash loot crawl the world has ever seen! I feel bad that minor screen tearing (I play at 1080p and I barely notice it) and a fluctuating--but not unplayable--framerate has soured your opinion of Sacred 2 so much.

Hell, if you're so damned worried about the graphics of the console versions, play it on the bloody PC: it looks gorgeous and plays pretty much the same. *JEESH*

Thrakier

Sorry, that was my first post in this thread regarding the tech AFTER I played it for a while. I didn't say the graphics are bad, those are fine, but the tech behind it is horrible. It's good for you that you don't notice the tearing as much, but I notice it all the time and it's like a constant flickering. As I stated the tech is not my only complaint.

I don't have a gaming PC.

AwRy108

Thrakier said:
Sorry, that was my first post in this thread regarding the tech AFTER I played it for a while. I didn't say the graphics are bad, those are fine, but the tech behind it is horrible. It's good for you that you don't notice the tearing as much, but I notice it all the time and it's like a constant flickering. As I stated the tech is not my only complaint.

I don't have a gaming PC.

Well, I will agree with you there: the engine tech is quite lousy, simply because the code seems to be so poorly optimized; but this isn't limited to just the PS3 version: I had a videocard (8800GT) that could absolutely crush anything built on the Unreal Engine 3, but Sacred 2 absolutely strangled the life out of the card. Kinda odd, actually. I've since upgraded to a slightly better card and a much newer OS and Sacred 2 just gleams on my PC.

Regardless, I do agree that the console versions would've benefited from some engine polish. However, the incredible depth, hours of addicting gameplay, and pretty decent online co-op have all allowed me to looks past any visual flaws. Besides, when's the next time we're going to get such an awesome entry in this genre on our consoles? Might be never, especially if Blizzard continues to distribute on PC's only.

AwRy108

glaurung said:
Crazy awesome bugfix list!

I am still pondering between the PS3 and PC versions... Probably still going to buy the PC version for ultimate mouse control.

What are your PC's specs?

jorma

is now taking requests
Thrakier said:
I don' know, I loved the first one but don't like the second one so far. Main complaint is that the tech is an catastrophe (PS3 version). In my whole life I never saw a game with tearing THAT bad. It really is constantly tearing, just horrible. Also the framerate is pretty shitty which is a minor complaint. But yeah, that's holding the experience back a lot. Also I'm playing the game only in co-op and the camera is too far away. I can't see shit, not my gear, not what my character does etc. - so there is a lot of fun lost because the game feels the same all the time. And one thing that doesn't help either is that it's too fucking easy. And I'm already playing silver. Why should I care about leveling etc. when I can beat every enemy without problems even if I only use my standard attack?

Hmm, isnt that just like saying "and i've already passed the tutorial and i am now playing this on "easy".
You still have Normal (or gold), Hard and Very Hard to discover! =)

And you should care about leveling because leveling is what the game is all about, pretty much.

Ricker

jorma said:
Hmm, isnt that just like saying "and i've already passed the tutorial and i am now playing this on "easy".
You still have Normal (or gold), Hard and Very Hard to discover! =)

And you should care about leveling because leveling is what the game is all about, pretty much.

I`m pretty sure Silver is normal and so on,even though Silver for normal ennemies till level 30 or so is quite easy,some of the Bosses are a little tricky,even on Silver.

PuMa

Ricker said:
I`m pretty sure Silver is normal and so on,even though Silver for normal ennemies till level 30 or so is quite easy,some of the Bosses are a little tricky,even on Silver.

Silver is definitely not normal. Silver is far too easy. Move on to Gold ASAP.

Wollan

Thrakier said:
Are you playing on a 1080p screen? The console games support native 1080p from what I've heard so you might want to try 720p for comparison.

AwRy108

Thrakier said:
Also I'm playing the game only in co-op and the camera is too far away. I can't see shit, not my gear, not what my character does etc. - so there is a lot of fun lost because the game feels the same all the time.

In these types of games, do you really need to see exactly what your character is doing, other than which enemy he's striking? I spend 99% of my time watching the brightly colored attack circle, my life bar, and my Combat Art icons. The only time I care about staring at my character is when I'm using the inventory and/or shops. And how can you think the game feels the same when half the fun is exploring the vast, non-repeating world map? Sure, every game in this genre suffers from some degree of repetition; but I think the world of Sacred 2 along with the incredible amount of character building make it the least repetitive game this genre has seen thus far. If you're worried about the idea of repetition, then are you really a fan of this genre in the first place?

Thrakier said:
And one thing that doesn't help either is that it's too fucking easy. And I'm already playing silver. Why should I care about leveling etc. when I can beat every enemy without problems even if I only use my standard attack?

I agree that the game can come across as "too easy", but you're definitely not immune to death--just when you start to get lazy, a mob can surprise you and take you down. Also, think about it this way: Sacred 2 is meant to last for hundreds of hours, so would you really want the nail-biting, controller smashing difficulty of, say, Devil May Cry to last that long? Personally, I think that the Silver (aka. Normal) difficulty is quite well balanced, especially if you want to just spend some semi-casual gaming time building a character. Plus, as someone else stated, you always have the option of upping the difficulty, which I'm certain would give anyone a run for their money.

Thrakier said:

Don't all games in this genre (well, except Hellgate London...) have the same camera perspective? I'm really dumbfounded how you think Sacred 1 had more charm: Sacred 2 just oozes charm, especially in the subtle things like NPC dialog and the writing on the headstones at grave sites. Not to mention that the entire world map is super detailed and intricate, with no two locations looking the same.

IMHO, if you like the genre, then I can't help but think that you're just searching for reasons to dislike this particular game, 'cause it's pretty much the best entry this genre has seen since Diablo II.

Again, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I just don't understand why, rather than spending your time on GAF complaining about something you just can seem to come to enjoy, you just don't seek out something else to play? I bought Persona 4 and found it to be incredibly overrated from a gameplay standpoint, but I didn't get on GAF and whine; instead, I put it on ebay and used the money to buy something I'd rather play. See?

Lain

Thrakier said:
I didn't say the graphics are bad, those are fine, but the tech behind it is horrible.

I can agree with this. The graphics are really nice, but the engine is a mess. The tearing is constant and the game has alot of slowdowns.
I overlook it because I have fun playing, but it is very disturbing for my eyes.

oneHeero

I'm up to page 18(100post) so dont kill me, but wtf are relics? I've read tons of sites and still dont get it, the sacred wiki seems to refer to PC Sacred as the relics I have or merchants have dont differ in shapes.

For instance, I currently have;

Green -Hallow Relic of the Antidote Level 2 Armor 17 Divine Devotion +1
Green -Relic of the Antidote Level 8 Armor 22 Bargaining +1
Blue -Relic of the Arcane Level 7 Armor 20 Divine Devotion +1
White -Relic of Frost Level 3 Armor 15 Bargaining +1

Does the armor add to my main armor?Whats the bar under armor mean? Each bar is a different color, like frost is blue(duh) Poison is green and the bars are filled whats the point of the bars?

I've equipped the relics and notice no difference what so ever, they show no penalties, should I equip all the relics?

What about books? I've read some and dont see the point opf them I have Book 6:Forbidden Magic and the details only say Consumable item. Wtf? Can I cast magic now?

Sorry for these questions, I've learned other stuff from websites but cant seem to figure out relics.

Top Bottom