• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Flyguy

oneHeero said:
So just load up on the best ones?
I'd do the best ones by default--unless you're particularly weak in one area. If you have a general skill I'd go with the best bonuses. I have Enhanced Perception, and I don't even bother using a relic unless it gives a bonus to it.

Also, you can see what armor protection each relic gives you by going to the "Overview" section and going to the right once on the thumbstick. At the bottom of that tab it lists your armor. The top number is your total armor--physical, ice, fire, etc., all added up. The numbers below it are your armor (from relics and items) for each type of damage.

If you go to "Quest Log" and hit RT (360) a couple of times it will take you to a journal of sorts with all the notes from the books you've read. Books are for back story. They don't grant abilities. "Magic" is Combat Arts. Consume runes in the relevant CA and you can start casting magic immediately, you just need to map it to a button.

DSCF2682.jpg

And here is my Level 28 Shadow Warrior. Still pretty weak :|

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So last i read there was only a PS3 patch for the EU version to address the bugs/issues...is there any update on a patch for the US version?

Im leery of buying this game due to the reports ive read of lockups, crashes, and other problems.

PuMa

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So last i read there was only a PS3 patch for the EU version to address the bugs/issues...is there any update on a patch for the US version?

Im leery of buying this game due to the reports ive read of lockups, crashes, and other problems.

I've been wondering the same thing. I checked the official forums, and I couldn't find any update. I've been playing the game since launch though, and I haven't experienced more than one or two lockups.

AwRy108

Thrakier said:
Comparison 360 vs. PS3:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sacred-2-1080p-performance

The amount of screen tearing is...there are just no words for it, look at the graph.
'

OMFG...

Heeeeee's baaaa-ack!

Sacred 2 is the best game of its kind to hit the consoles EVER, yet all you can do is nit-pick it to death, rather than just enjoy the great gaming it offers. Sad. So very sad.

Also, Eurogamer.com sucks. They put on a veil of being "progressive" gaming media, but all it's covering up is their flame-bait write-ups and "rebellious" reviews to get more page views. Eurogamer.com can PISS OFF.

Thrakier

AwRy108 said:
'

OMFG...

Heeeeee's baaaa-ack!

Sacred 2 is the best game of its kind to hit the consoles EVER, yet all you can do is nit-pick it to death, rather than just enjoy the great gaming it offers. Sad. So very sad.

Also, Eurogamer.com sucks. They put on a veil of being "progressive" gaming media, but all it's covering up is their flame-bait write-ups and "rebellious" reviews to get more page views. Eurogamer.com can PISS OFF.

Sorry, I really don't do this to annoy you, although I can understand that you don't like to read that stuff.

However, I don't think that I'm nitpicking. To me the technical problems are so huge that they completly destroy the game for me. It's not about pretty graphics, actually the game does look ok, it's about game breaking flaws on the technical side - I'm playing a H11 and when I unleash my magic on several enemies the game runs at a framerate less than 10. At least it feels that way to me. It's horrible.

I don't think that eurogamer article is a "flame bait". I think it's information. Ascaron put a half finished game on the market and they want the same money for it as other developers want for very good and polished game experiences. It's not the first time they had a solid game, but problems with bugs and performance. And now they are gone, so they possibly won't even patch the game anymore.

Obviously there are people who are not concerned by constant tearing and horrible framerates - that's fine for me, I can live with that. But you could also just accept that for some people it destroys the fun and the immersion of a game world. I really tried to like the game but I can't overlook those problems. Off the top of my head I don't remember one game which was as bad as Sacred 2 - tech wise.

Aurora

Niobium is far too difficult. My character is level 103 and I get 2 shotted by normal mobs. I have the best possible gear for my level, spent hours and hours farming and shopping. I have All Skills +100, Evasion +320%, Damage +130% and all other sorts of ridiculous bonuses, but still the monsters prove too strong. The dumb thing is that I can kill any boss on Plat in around 5 seconds and I dodge everything.
Started Niob at level 78 and been forced into grinding ever since but I see no obvious increase in my survivability. Will probably just leave it here TBH unless they bring out DLC.

I have hundreds of 3 star weapons and set pieces ranging from Lv 40-130 if anyone is interested. Will trade for the higher level stuff and prob give away the lower stuff for free.

AwRy108

Thrakier said:
Sorry, I really don't do this to annoy you, although I can understand that you don't like to read that stuff.

However, I don't think that I'm nitpicking. To me the technical problems are so huge that they completly destroy the game for me. It's not about pretty graphics, actually the game does look ok, it's about game breaking flaws on the technical side - I'm playing a H11 and when I unleash my magic on several enemies the game runs at a framerate less than 10. At least it feels that way to me. It's horrible.

I don't think that eurogamer article is a "flame bait". I think it's information. Ascaron put a half finished game on the market and they want the same money for it as other developers want for very good and polished game experiences. It's not the first time they had a solid game, but problems with bugs and performance. And now they are gone, so they possibly won't even patch the game anymore.

Obviously there are people who are not concerned by constant tearing and horrible framerates - that's fine for me, I can live with that. But you could also just accept that for some people it destroys the fun and the immersion of a game world. I really tried to like the game but I can't overlook those problems. Off the top of my head I don't remember one game which was as bad as Sacred 2 - tech wise.

Sorry, I completely understand your concern, especially from the standpoint of someone who's picky about fps (I upgraded my PC's videocard to up my fps on Sacred 2). However, I do think you're being a bit too dramatic about it, and even more so if your point is to "warn" potential buyers: the framerate certainly isn't a steady 30, and it definitely dips quite low sometimes; but it never makes the game unplayable, mainly because of the genre we're discussing and the fact that combat targeting is about 95% automated. My PC runs the game at roughly 75fps (max settings, 1680x1050), and I still prefer the PS3 version. Again, I've played the game for at least 30 hours, and it's the happiest I've been with a game in this genre since Diablo II. And I know I'm not alone in this.

Ultimately, the game has been out for well over a month now, and Ascaron's doors have been closed for nearly as long: the mount, er, horse is dead, so quit beating it and let the developers rest in peace knowing that their final game, while flawed, was a diamond in the rough. And if you're so unhappy with the technical stuff (you seem to be the only person on GAF who finds the game "unplayable"), then I suggest you move on to a suitable replacement title... ...oh wait, there isn't any. And there may not another for many years.

No hard feelings, but maybe it's time to let the "issue" go and just let people enjoy the game for what it is. I'm sure the sales numbers have already made it clear to the developers that their overly ambitious product has some minor technical shortcomings.

Thrakier

AwRy108 said:
but it never makes the game unplayable

See, that's the point where I disagree. To me sub 10 or 15 FPS is unplayable. It feels that you somewhat loose control over your character, then there is lag (you got away from and enemy and die afterwards,) introduced by the shitty framerate and that massive amounts of tearing is always good for a headache.

You see, my disappointment comes from that I put a lot of hope in it. The fact that I played it for quite some hours although I think that it's pure horror from a technical standpoint says enough. I'm really starved for a good Hack'n Slay like Diablo 2. But because of all it's shortcomings Sacred 2 doesn't help me with that. I probably would like the PC-Version, though. I mean in terms of atmosphere and story Diablo II would still be far far ahead, but at least the core mechanics would be enjoyable for me with a good framerate and without constant tearing. Sadly I don't have a good gaming PC. But I will buy one for Diablo III.

But from my experiences I wouldn't recommend the console version of Sacred 2 to anyone. Of course you can disagree, but my opionion is as valid as yours and this is the right topic to talk about it. ;)

Thrakier said:
But from my experiences I wouldn't recommend the console version of Sacred 2 to anyone. Of course you can disagree, but my opionion is as valid as yours and this is the right topic to talk about it. ;)

On the other hand, you have to accept that your opinion seems to be very much in the minority. Also, this is a niche genre, which means that the market will accept somewhat lower quality and late patches (if they're even needed), because a buggy game, apparently according to quite a few people, is still better than a game that's not released. Quality costs money and it's the market that determines the correct balance between quality and cost, so it looks like a lot of people will take (a lot) more content in exchange for quality issues.

Cahill

Banned
AwRy108 said:
I suggest you move on to a suitable replacement title... ...oh wait, there isn't any. And there may not another for many years.

I've been playing the game since it released and still play it nearly every day. Lots of flaws/bugs, sure, but I can deal with most of them.

Because as you said, not many choices. I really wish there were a larger market for the games on consoles. I played the crap outta Guild Wars for example, and always though they could fairly completely port that without too many problems *shrug* Looking at stuff like Aion etc... it would really be nice to have more options for those that prefer consoles to PC gaming.

Flyguy

Aurora said:
Niobium is far too difficult. My character is level 103 and I get 2 shotted by normal mobs. I have the best possible gear for my level, spent hours and hours farming and shopping. I have All Skills +100, Evasion +320%, Damage +130% and all other sorts of ridiculous bonuses, but still the monsters prove too strong. The dumb thing is that I can kill any boss on Plat in around 5 seconds and I dodge everything.
Started Niob at level 78 and been forced into grinding ever since but I see no obvious increase in my survivability. Will probably just leave it here TBH unless they bring out DLC.

I have hundreds of 3 star weapons and set pieces ranging from Lv 40-130 if anyone is interested. Will trade for the higher level stuff and prob give away the lower stuff for free.
What character class? What skills do you have?

Duke Togo

I suppose it would be unreasonable to expect Ascaron to patch the game for performance issues? I'm not a technical guy, but would it be possible for them to change the rendering to 720p to improve the frame rate and tearing? Or is that far more trouble than its worth for them?

Cahill

Banned
Duke Togo said:
I suppose it would be unreasonable to expect Ascaron to patch the game for performance issues? I'm not a technical guy, but would it be possible for them to change the rendering to 720p to improve the frame rate and tearing? Or is that far more trouble than its worth for them?

Not sure, as they have said NOTHING about any additional patches and have basically vanished from the "official" 360 board. There are some really serious bugs in the game too that should probably be addressed before performance stuff. People are getting stuck in the main questline unable to continue because they activate a pillar while exploring the Dryad lands (real easy to do in that area, too) and it won't let them activate it again when required in the main quest.

Plus tons of large/small problems and annoying issues that don't break the game but should have never made it past QA.

Duke Togo

Cahill said:
Not sure, as they have said NOTHING about any additional patches and have basically vanished from the "official" 360 board. There are some really serious bugs in the game too that should probably be addressed before performance stuff. People are getting stuck in the main questline unable to continue because they activate a pillar while exploring the Dryad lands (real easy to do in that area, too) and it won't let them activate it again when required in the main quest.

Plus tons of large/small problems and annoying issues that don't break the game but should have never made it past QA.
That is a shame. Its unfortunate that there are so many bugs. I really enjoy this game, but I can't help but wonder how much better it could have been with a bit more polish. Just little things, like how often the battle music interrupts the zone music for the sake of killing one rat. And yeah, game breaking bugs certainly don't help. I guess they were pressed for time due to their financial situation, which is a shame. If they supported Sacred 2 even half as well as Blizzard supported Diablo, this game could have had a much larger following, imo.

Cahill

Banned
Duke Togo said:
That is a shame. Its unfortunate that there are so many bugs. I really enjoy this game, but I can't help but wonder how much better it could have been with a bit more polish. Just little things, like how often the battle music interrupts the zone music for the sake of killing one rat. And yeah, game breaking bugs certainly don't help. I guess they were pressed for time due to their financial situation, which is a shame. If they supported Sacred 2 even half as well as Blizzard supported Diablo, this game could have had a much larger following, imo.

Yeah the issues that really get me are those that cause death as your Survival Bonus is a big deal in the game. Too many times now, I've teleported into an area in multiplayer and before my character is even on-screen (obviously I can't do anything during that time) I get killed by a mob. Totally pisses me off. There should be a buffer of a couple seconds or something to compensate for lag. I got killed last night doing MP when I brought my shield up on my Seraphim (Divine Protection) and the game was a bit laggy. For whatever reason it didn't register that I had it up so I had a mob of like 60 dudes all raping me as if I had no shield on Platinum. I went down QUICK.... Grrrr

I like getting stuck in the ground if enemies die during a combo animation too. ...how did they not notice this?

Still, I really do like the game despite my complaints. ;)

Thrakier

Flachmatuch said:
On the other hand, you have to accept that your opinion seems to be very much in the minority.

I don't think so. Reviews and f.e. the official message boards are full of complaints.

AwRy108

Cahill said:
I really wish there were a larger market for the games on consoles. I played the crap outta Guild Wars for example, and always though they could fairly completely port that without too many problems *shrug* Looking at stuff like Aion etc... it would really be nice to have more options for those that prefer consoles to PC gaming.

I've wondered this for YEARS. Now that the consoles are so online-driven, this genre would be a great fit, especially in terms of support through patches and multiplayer options.

Ascaron's biggest mistake was wasting their time on the PC version, simply because of the piracy issue (I don't have the actual data, but I'm sure the game sold like crap on the PC). They should've spent ALL of their development time on the console versions, so they could've squashed more of the bugs and tightened up the engines, and then marketed it more.

Thrakier

AwRy108 said:
They should've spent ALL of their development time on the console versions, so they could've squashed more of the bugs and tightened up the engines, and then marketed it more.

That wouldn't have helped. They would have just released the game earlier. Trust me. ;)

well my only complaint is that i had a game-freeze during a local co-op trade and it borked my save, claiming it's been manipulated and blocking trading.

does this wierd thing on ps3 if you don't sign in the second player the very first time you hit start to bring them in, even if you cancel and don't bring them in, it screws up the login and thinks you aren't when you are and are when you aren't etc.

so i deleted my save and restarted. will have to be more careful in the future. still it only took me half the time to get back to where i was anyway :D

Mashing

Aurora said:

LOL... I'm level 71 in SILVER. I'm exploring the entire map before moving on so I can just blow throw the other difficulties without having to do that again.

Cahill

Banned
Mashing said:
LOL... I'm level 71 in SILVER. I'm exploring the entire map before moving on so I can just blow throw the other difficulties without having to do that again.

Just a suggestion, but maybe consider waiting till platinum to clear the map. It's much more challenging/fun than Silver or Gold.

Ristlager

I can't find the second dragon on the island with the Seraphin Tower (up north, in the center) I killed the other one, which where given as a quest. I have searched the undergrounds and been to the place where it should be according a map I found on the web. Do I need to unlock something before it appears?

GreekWolf

Cahill said:
Just a suggestion, but maybe consider waiting till platinum to clear the map. It's much more challenging/fun than Silver or Gold.
Definitely agree with that. Much more rewarding, and a radically different experience. Although, I found it pretty rough tackling certain bosses on Platinum with a character lower than 80.

Speaking of which, my Dryad is getting her little booty kicked trying to solo the Banshee. I know it's susceptible to fire/poison dmg... but with it's ridiculously high regen rate, nothing seems to be working for me. Reminds me of my first experience with the Kobold Chieftain all over again.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Cahill said:

I'm clearing most of overland in gold. Since I consider it rather boring work, I don't want that bit to be too challenging. :p I call up the tab minimap and clear from there, hitting potion as needed and dropping the map to fight if I get rooted.

As far as the guy claiming that Niobium is too hard, I disagree, it isn't like there is a difficulty level after that, it should be hardest. 70s is too low level to be in Niobium anyways. I did just main quest through Silver, am doing just about everything in Gold am near the end it just hit 71 myself.

Cahill

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Definitely agree with that. Much more rewarding, and a radically different experience. Although, I found it pretty rough tackling certain bosses on Platinum with a character lower than 80.

Speaking of which, my Dryad is getting her little booty kicked trying to solo the Banshee. I know it's susceptible to fire/poison dmg... but with it's ridiculously high regen rate, nothing seems to be working for me. Reminds me of my first experience with the Kobold Chieftain all over again.

Friend and I ran him the night before last on Plat. Took a while to get him down and we were both pretty strong melee characters (SW and Ser).

Ristlager - Follow the main quest markers, not that I imagine anyone cares but I'll spoiler it anyway.

You need to follow the tunnels which will eventually lead you back outside the caves. Go up and around the top to speak with another dragon who will tell you to kill Carnache. Then you can go back inside, down to the bottom left of the island and take him out.

Mashing

Banshee is the only thing int eh game that has given me trouble (I have 4 total deaths, but 3 of them were when I was starting out in silver. You can die really easily). I've pwned every boss other than that one (I died once, but then beat her). She seemed to tear throw my shields in second and I couldn't suck down pots (my jolting touch is modded for healing too) fast enough. My main amplifying discharge is doing 3k damage now on a 1.5-2.5s cooldown depending on which weapon I'm using at the time. Nothing stays long for live. Perhaps I should move to gold, but I"m a completionist and OCD about clearing the map.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mashing said:
Perhaps I should move to gold, but I"m a completionist and OCD about clearing the map.

Same map completion for all difficulty levels. Any area you uncovered in Silver stays uncovered for that character in the other difficulty levels.

Well, this is true for the pc version. I can't speak for the console variants.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I don't mind teh screen tearing or bad framerates, the game is fun! What I do mind is the random crashing, which just shouldn't happen on a console game. :/

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
dak1dsk1 said:
I don't mind teh screen tearing or bad framerates, the game is fun! What I do mind is the random crashing, which just shouldn't happen on a console game. :/

Which is exactly why i wont buy this. This needs to be patched asap. My gaming time is limited, and the last thing i want to do is play this for an hour or two one night, have a randon crash and i lose all my work!!!

MrDaravon

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Which is exactly why i wont buy this. This needs to be patched asap. My gaming time is limited, and the last thing i want to do is play this for an hour or two one night, have a randon crash and i lose all my work!!!

The game is auto-saving all the freaking time, practically every time you do anything; you should never be losing more than a few minutes.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SailorDaravon said:
The game is auto-saving all the freaking time, practically every time you do anything; you should never be losing more than a few minutes.

Oh, ok....well that's reassuring then.

Are they even planning on patching this? Im referring to the US version...i know the EU one was patched a few days ago, right?

Xevren

In the 80+ hours of all my playtimes I have yet to experience a single crash, I wouldn't worry that much. Even so just save after something big happens since it only takes a second.

Shoogoo

Very interesting thread. I've been hesitating for a couple of weeks now, but this thread helped me making up my mind. I have a few questions though;

- I'll be playing this couch coop with my girlfriend, is the camera thing sucky or is it bearable?
- I heard most of the character animations sucked, is there at least one class who has a good/credible anim? (and yes, I could choose the class based on that)
- Can you play couch coop with 2 of the same class?

GreekWolf

Shoogoo said:
Very interesting thread. I've been hesitating for a couple of weeks now, but this thread helped me making up my mind. I have a few questions though;

- I'll be playing this couch coop with my girlfriend, is the camera thing sucky or is it bearable?
- I heard most of the character animations sucked, is there at least one class who has a good/credible anim? (and yes, I could choose the class based on that)
- The locked perspective is fine. You won't notice any more/less issues in couch co-op than if you were playing online.
- I'm not sure if I've ever heard that complaint. The animation is standard fare for a hack&slash, with a few characters actually sporting some impressive combat arts. The Dryad has a great sequence of backflips and somersaults when combining Darting Assault with bare fists.
- I'm fairly certain you can.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shoogoo said:

Don't get Shadow Warrior :lol

Shoogoo

GreekWolf said:
- The locked perspective is fine. You won't notice any more/less issues in couch co-op than if you were playing online.
- I'm not sure if I've ever heard that complaint. The animation is standard fare for a hack&slash, with a few characters actually sporting some impressive combat arts. The Dryad has a great sequence of backflips and somersaults when combining Darting Assault with bare fists.
- I'm fairly certain you can.

It's funny because I didn't read it on this thread but I swear I read that on several sites. "Shadow Warrior looks like he crapped his pants" is one of the quotes I remember.

GreekWolf

Shoogoo said:
It's funny because I didn't read it on this thread but I swear I read that on several sites. "Shadow Warrior looks like he crapped his pants" is one of the quotes I remember.
Oh, well that's certainly the one issue I'd consider legit. For some bizarre reason, almost every playable character has a janky running animation. Even the exotic Seraphim, with her seductive catwalk, immediately reverts back to 'shit her panties' the moment she begins running. :lol

Shoogoo

GreekWolf said:
Oh, well that's certainly the one issue I'd consider legit. For some bizarre reason, almost every playable character has a janky running animation. Even the exotic Seraphim, with her seductive catwalk, immediately reverts back to 'shit her panties' the moment she begins running. :lol

lol. argh. I hate that :s what are the issues you're talking about? I guess the game crashing is one of them.

GreekWolf

Shoogoo said:
lol. argh. I hate that :s what are the issues you're talking about? I guess the game crashing is one of them.
Honestly, I haven't experienced any of these game crippling bugs that many seem to incur. That's certainly not to downplay their significance, because I do know of friends having their screen freeze up periodically. Although, it's possible their 360 is causing the issue and not the game itself.

All I can tell you, is that I've logged roughly 250 hours, and have not suffered any crashes or save deletions (which has been remedied with a patch). Occasionally, your player might accidentally teleport into a tree, but that's easily solved with a button click.

If you're not hypersensitive to tearing and occasional frame drops, then I think you'll really enjoy S2. It's greatly superior to anything else of it's genre on consoles.

Top Bottom