• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Thrakier

Micromegas said:
So, lootwhores of gafnation: how bad is it really - the US PS3 version is what I need to know about.

All you need to see is this video:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sacred-2-1080p-performance

As you can see, the game is almost constantly below 30FPS and that is without there is happening much. The framerate is way worse in BIG citys or when you fight. The tearing is massive as you can see when you look at the graph, it's like almost every screen is torn. And at this point I didn't start to talk about loading and pop-up...

I would say this game is a technical catastrophe and should not be on the market in this form. However, if other people stated, it seems to be possible to be not distracted by a shitty framerate and massive amounts of tearing. But that is something you need to find out for yourself.

No45

But there are sections for 0/10/20/30, I'm confused. I'll have a search around the site to see if I can find a detailed explanation, I've always been curious to see the analysis but never really understood beyond the obvious framerate display.

Thrakier

Hm, it definitly shows the amount of tearing. Watch the 480p version for comparison there the tearing is almost gone on the 360.

FuKuy

Thrakier said:
I would say this game is a technical catastrophe and should not be on the market in this form.

Regarding console version, because this game is meant to be played on PC.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Thrakier said:
Obviously, yes. I think I would have much more fun with this game if I had a good gaming PC. I'll buy one for Diablo III.

My PC is > 3 years old, still had plenty of fun with Sacred 2.

Thrakier said:

Geeze - has anybody who played the PS3 version confirm it's still that bad? Has there been a performance patch since launch? Is one planned?

Forget the graph, that video had visual frame-tearing almost constantly.

EDIT: I watched the video again. I guess it's understandable why they didn't enable v-sync. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't with that dodgy frame rate.

They should however, put in a user-pref to turn it on or not.

Ricker

antispin said:
Crap. I just ordered the 360 version through that game.co.uk deal. Is the 360 performance really that bad?

Not really..yes there's some screen tearing but it's not that bad in 720p,the game still looks pretty good at that resolution...can you bring it down to 720p instead of 1080p on the PS3 ? this should lessen the tearing I guess...

Mamesj

Banned
luxarific said:
Lucky UK'ers. Hopefully this presages a North American price drop.

I can't even find a used copy of this game. I think it's selling extremely well for its production run, so I'm not holding my breath.

though microcenter did just have a sale on it...

Ricker said:
Not really..yes there's some screen tearing but it's not that bad in 720p,the game still looks pretty good at that resolution...can you bring it down to 720p instead of 1080p on the PS3 ? this should lessen the tearing I guess...

In that article it says that both console versions render natively at 1080p and then scale the output down for 720p and below. No performance gain by going with a lower resolution ;(

Looks like another thing to patch, but I wonder if that would mess-up their UI if it's not scalable... ???

Anybody here with a PS3 version to comment on current performance?

Flyguy

The technical issues are completely overblown. Any shortcomings are more than offset by the gameplay. After 200+ hours I'm more concerned with other oversights and quirks in the game than any technical issues, and all of them don't dent the addictive nature of the game.

Cahill

Banned
Flyguy said:
The technical issues are completely overblown. Any shortcomings are more than offset by the gameplay. After 200+ hours I'm more concerned with other oversights and quirks in the game than any technical issues, and all of them don't dent the addictive nature of the game.

I agree for the most part. Tearing doesn't bother me too much and the FR isn't ever really solid, but it's not as bad as some say, either.

My exception is with my High Elf (and to a lesser extent the Inquisitor). Spamming glacial thorns, Expel Magic, Raging Nimbus and Blazing Tempest, even solo the game runs in the low single digits when tearing through a decent sized mob. Never mind when you have a party going. I love the HE but rarely use her in MP with my friends cause the slowdown gets sooo bad.

Change of subject; I'm curious how everyone's doing with the game? I've got 3 chars in Plat and 2 in Gold. Will bring the Elf into Niob first then either the SW or Ser. Dryad I made just to try her (and for the achievement) so she's in Silver stuck @ 15 forever.

Anyway I'm up to (pretty sure their levels are correct):

73 Ser
67 HE
58 SW
52 TG
46 Inq (remade him twice)
15 Dry

Flyguy

I have a level 98 Sera that I just couldn't keep alive. She probably has more than 60 deaths. On the way to defeat the Nameless One on Gold (she should be in Niob at that level) she died again at the hands of a normal mob and I just gave up. I re-rolled and have another Sera at 42 now. I'm working on Divine Protection with Warding Energy Lore. As long as I can keep that shield up she's nigh-invulnerable. I have yet to take a point of damage with it up, but it has a hard cooldown so as of now I can't keep it constantly up. Once I can (another 20 levels or so) I think she'll be a keeper. The only other character I've created is an Inquisitor, but I haven't even taken him beyond Sloeford. Shadow Warrior seems like the way to go. My buddy has a level 110 SW in niob and he's never died.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback on the Inq. You remade yours a couple of times so I assume you finally found a set of skills/CAs that you like with him.

Edit: I didn't mean to imply there weren't any technical issues, I just don't notice them by-and-large unless there are a ton of enemies on screen, or fighting the Swirling Mist of Miasma. They're there, but if I had to prioritize I'd take a pause button, sortable/searchable inventory, abilty to save outfits, etc., over a more stable framerate.

Thrakier

The technical issues are certainly NOT overblown. Just watch the videos I provided. They are there and in comparison to all other games on the market, they are very significant. However if they bother you is up to you.

Cahill

Banned
Flyguy said:
I have a level 98 Sera that I just couldn't keep alive. She probably has more than 60 deaths. On the way to defeat the Nameless One on Gold (she should be in Niob at that level) she died again at the hands of a normal mob and I just gave up. I re-rolled and have another Sera at 42 now. I'm working on Divine Protection with Warding Energy Lore. As long as I can keep that shield up she's nigh-invulnerable. I have yet to take a point of damage with it up, but it has a hard cooldown so as of now I can't keep it constantly up. Once I can (another 20 levels or so) I think she'll be a keeper. The only other character I've created is an Inquisitor, but I haven't even taken him beyond Sloeford. Shadow Warrior seems like the way to go. My buddy has a level 110 SW in niob and he's never died.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback on the Inq. You remade yours a couple of times so I assume you finally found a set of skills/CAs that you like with him.

I waited with my Ser too long to bump her shields. I still use her often but she's a bit more work ATM than I suspect she'll be later with strong Warding and Divine under heavy mobs. Good that you're using Divine and Ward now. BTW: Modded mine for lowered cooldown and extended duration. Made a big difference and now I've been dumping points into Warding Energy lore to increase the damage it can take. Still I like to aggro huuuge mobs and in plat I gotta be careful.

My Inq is a bit of an odd little fellow. I actually took ranged weapons, use the energy staffs exclusively (shoots multiples from as far away as I want with Ruthless Mut) and gave him some high regen on hit and life leech. Because of that, he can spam my combos (main one is Cluster -> Levin -> Eruptive) since I also took Combat Discipline. He's brutal on mobs.... just brutal. Bosses are still a bit tougher and take longer than other characters but not as bad as he was the first couple times I made him.. *Ugh* That was rough. Curous how he'll fare in the higher levels now that I think I built him a bit better.

EDIT: SW's are probably the easiest character to use IMO. My friend made a melee SW so I kinda went opposite and made one that uses the skeletons quite a bit with a bit of melee in there. Am in plat and have never died with him either. Meanwhile gotta work much harder with the Inq/HE to keep them on their feet. More fun though. :)

Flyguy

Thrakier said:
The technical issues are certainly NOT overblown. Just watch the videos I provided. They are there and in comparison to all other games on the market, they are very significant. However if they bother you is up to you.
Overblown by the virtue that the vast majority of people playing the game seem to enjoy it anyway, with the exception being you. If nine people love the game despite its warts, and one vocal dissenting voice continues to shout from the rooftops how broken it is, I'd call that overblown. We all get it. You've made your point (again) on this page. I'm sure you'll make it (again) on the next several.

Cahill said:
I waited with my Ser too long to bump her shields. I still use her often but she's a bit more work ATM than I suspect she'll be later with strong Warding and Divine under heavy mobs. Good that you're using Divine and Ward now. BTW: Modded mine for lowered cooldown and extended duration. Made a big difference and now I've been dumping points into Warding Energy lore to increase the damage it can take. Still I like to aggro huuuge mobs and in plat I gotta be careful.

I built her for Divine at the outset. I have those same mods, but there's still about a 9 second gap between cooldown and when I can recast it at CA level 31. That gap shrinks every level, so eventually I'll be able to keep it perpetually on. Without it she's very vulnerable. I haven't taken anything to help with health or defense, so she dies pretty quickly with it off.

Cahill

Banned
Flyguy said:
I built her for Divine at the outset. I have those same mods, but there's still about a 9 second gap between cooldown and when I can recast it at CA level 31. That gap shrinks every level, so eventually I'll be able to keep it perpetually on. Without it she's very vulnerable. I haven't taken anything to help with health or defense, so she dies pretty quickly with it off.

Well, I'm sure you know this, and assume you're planning for huge damage mitigation, but be careful bud. It will still drop when the damage is exceeded and there's no regen in-battle. Divine takes 100% of the damage VS 50% (I think it's 40 or 50 unmodded) that Warding Energy (the Buff) takes. I finally got that up using Absorption Warding Energy + items and modded as well, so I'll generally run the buff, then hit Divine when needed. I wasn't careful and stood there in Gar's "fists of fury" on Platinum (shouldn't have been a problem) and my Divine shield went down almost instantly ...then I dropped :(

Flyguy

Cahill said:
Well, I'm sure you know this, and assume you're planning for huge damage mitigation, but be careful bud. It will still drop when the damage is exceeded and there's no regen in-battle. Divine takes 100% of the damage VS 50% (I think it's 40 or 50 unmodded) that Warding Energy (the Buff) takes. I finally got that up using Absorption Warding Energy + items and modded as well, so I'll generally run the buff, then hit Divine when needed. I wasn't careful and stood there in Gar's "fists of fury" on Platinum (shouldn't have been a problem) and my Divine shield went down almost instantly ...then I dropped :(
I've been keeping WE leveled too. I don't need it yet (still on Gold), but I'm aware that I may need additional protection at some point. I'm probably going to take pole arms for her 8th skill. I've seen some nice ones with 2% or more life leech. With Pelting Strikes I do thousands of damage per second, which would reap many hundreds of health per second if I do end up needing it, which is much more than I was getting health per second with constitution mastered on my previous build. If all else fails since I'm leveling Rev. Tech Focus and Lore I can just switch to a BeeEffGee build and keep my distance. It won't be fully optimized since I've been taking strength all along, and I probably won't take the range skill, but I have to believe it will be enough. Or I can re-roll. I've already shitcanned one character after I put 150 hours into it, I'm not afraid of doing it again.

Ricker

My class mount is just not appearing when I summon him now,just the regular horse...I hope it's just a glitch for now,I still see it in the inventory screen,so he's not dead,just caught somewhere or something...hopefully next time I play,it will work again,I could even buy another one since I have about 5 millions on me ;P... I hate the eastern part of the map and the swamp area as well,there's just too many mobs all over.

Almost level 50 with my TG..once I hit 50 i'll head back to the Dragon area
(Carnack caves,around there,Can you beat Carnack at level 50 your first time through the game on Silver?)
but that place is confusing and not that many portals so it's a little annoying.

Cahill

Banned
Ricker said:
My class mount is just not appearing when I summon him now,just the regular horse...I hope it's just a glitch for now,I still see it in the inventory screen,so he's not dead,just caught somewhere or something...hopefully next time I play,it will work again,I could even buy another one since I have about 5 millions on me ;P... I hate the eastern part of the map and the swamp area as well,there's just too many mobs all over.

(Carnack caves,around there,Can you beat Carnack at level 50 your first time through the game on Silver?)
but that place is confusing and not that many portals so it's a little annoying.

The horse is the default. In the inventory screen select your unique mount and click "Change mount" then click "Summon Mount". I sold my horses off cause it's a pain in the ass. And Yes, @ 50 you should be able to handle that area on Silver without issue.

GreekWolf

Ricker said:
Unless you completely screwed your skill set (which is pretty difficult to do), it should be easy to clear those caves and bosses in your 30s... at least on Silver.

Mamesj

Banned
Just started this game. Of the two sessions I've had so far, I've started off thinking "this is so boring...I'm just sitting here holding A" and three hours later I'm still at it. :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
Cahill said:
The horse is the default. In the inventory screen select your unique mount and click "Change mount" then click "Summon Mount". I sold my horses off cause it's a pain in the ass. And Yes, @ 50 you should be able to handle that area on Silver without issue.

Same here, just sell the horse because it defaults to that and it IS a pain to switch.

GreekWolf

Mamesj said:
Just started this game. Of the two sessions I've had so far, I've started off thinking "this is so boring...I'm just sitting here holding A" and three hours later I'm still at it. :lol
1. Don't choose a Shadow Warrior.
2. Don't choose another class and pretend you're a Shadow Warrior ;)

Mamesj

Banned
GreekWolf said:
1. Don't choose a Shadow Warrior.
2. Don't choose another class and pretend you're a Shadow Warrior ;)

nah, I'm a seraphim. I don't mind the easiness of the combat...like I said, my inner game critic says "lol not deep enough" but my lazy side is like "this is the best game ever created"

Zonar

Ok gaf if i get this game will you all play with me? I would be only getting this game because gaf said so.

I just don't want to buy it and have no one to play with.

I picked up the PS3 version on Friday. What the game gets right, it gets very right.

The combat, depth of character customization, exploration, adventure: all amazing.

Yes, some of the production values are shoddy, and it can be frame-y and glitchy, but once the game clicks with you, it is really fantastic. And yes, even though the framerate is sometimes poor, and there is some screen-tearing, it becomes a non-issue once you get wrapped-up in the world. Hopefully they'll release a performance patch.

I'm just starting out on PS3: 14 Shadow Warrior (pure conjurer) and I just rolled an Inquisitor - any tips for this class?

Mamesj

Banned
The seraphim's dialogue was cracking me up while I raided the kobold camp. something about playing "gnome ball" and an awkward, sarcastic "oooh a kobold, I'm scared" :lol

now that I mostly understand the leveling process and how the stats relate to each other, I'm enjoying it a lot more. and this game delivers the good loot like crazy...

Hammer24

Banned
Zonar said:
Ok gaf if i get this game will you all play with me? I would be only getting this game because gaf said so.

I just don't want to buy it and have no one to play with.

Put your Gamertag/PSN Name here, and you´ll be surprised how many people still play regularly.

Shoogoo

Finally got the game! But I'm drowning into runes, skills and whatnot. It's kind of hard to get at first glance. I read the game's hints but it's light. Are there any helpful sites that could help out?

Shoogoo said:
Finally got the game! But I'm drowning into runes, skills and whatnot. It's kind of hard to get at first glance. I read the game's hints but it's light. Are there any helpful sites that could help out?

It's actually a lot simpler than it looks. Also, I'd recommend playing the game and discovering stuff for yourself, that's the best part of most of these Diablo type RPGs (and most other RPGs too). Just create a character and play a few hours and redo the character once you get a feel for the game. Creating builds based on FAQs etc spoils the game imo. If you really want FAQs, go to sacredwiki.org, I guess.

Shoogoo said:

My advice is to read the forums over at Sacred 2's main site, and then just build a throw-away character and spend a few hours messing around until the game mechanics "click" with you. Once they do: delete and re-roll and you'll be rocking in no-time.

Cahill

Banned
Flachmatuch said:
It's actually a lot simpler than it looks. Also, I'd recommend playing the game and discovering stuff for yourself, that's the best part of most of these Diablo type RPGs (and most other RPGs too). Just create a character and play a few hours and redo the character once you get a feel for the game. Creating builds based on FAQs etc spoils the game imo.

I agree, but he can at least read up on the game, the character arts, modifications etc.

Shoogoo, as I suggested and linked on the last page, the wiki is great for general game and character info.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Fallen_Angel

BTW: Don't eat too many runes. They will KILL your regen times when just starting out. Try to eat one for each of your 15 arts (spells) at first.

Shoogoo

Cahill said:
I agree, but he can at least read up on the game, the character arts, modifications etc.

Shoogoo, as I suggested and linked on the last page, the wiki is great for general game and character info.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Fallen_Angel

BTW: Don't eat too many runes. They will KILL your regen times when just starting out. Try to eat one for each of your 15 arts (spells) at first.

Sorry, I forgot you gave me that link one week ago. I'm full of shame. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Cahill

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Sorry, I forgot you gave me that link one week ago. I'm full of shame. Thanks for the heads up guys.

No, no. I didn't mean it like that. :lol I was just reiterating the suggestion bud.

Any specific Q's, feel free to ask away man. Are you currently favoring any specific character? We may be able to offer some basic advice for you.

Shoogoo

Well so far I'd say that I'm interested by both TG and Inquisitor.

SW and Seraphim's animations are just too ridiculous so it's a no go :lol. TG's sucks a bit but hey, it's not a human after all.

Edit : Would anybody care to explain how am I supposed to equip two weapons after I chose the dual wield skill for the inquisitor? :eek:

GreekWolf

Shoogoo said:
Edit : Would anybody care to explain how am I supposed to equip two weapons after I chose the dual wield skill for the inquisitor? :eek:
I know, it's pretty confusing. The manual is pitiful at explaining the basics. What you do is slot both weapons on the same button, one at a time. Bingo - instant dual wield. This also works for the sword & shield combo.

Hit me up this week when you guys want to play... I've been itching for a reason to start a new character. (360) GT:greekwolf

Shoogoo

GreekWolf said:
I know, it's pretty confusing. The manual is pitiful at explaining the basics. What you do is slot both weapons on the same button, one at a time. Bingo - instant dual wield. This also works for the sword & shield combo.

Hit me up this week when you guys want to play... I've been itching for a reason to start a new character. (360) GT:greekwolf

Wow thanks! No way I could figure that out! Another one; I read here from Cahill that eating runes kills your regeneration, but I never read that in the manual nor the game and I don't really get it. What are runes for? Learning Combat arts and that's it? Manual is so vague about it.

edit : and btw, what is this "regeneration" I keep hearing about? Health regen?

Shoogoo said:
Wow thanks! No way I could figure that out! Another one; I read here from Cahill that eating runes kills your regeneration, but I never read that in the manual nor the game and I don't really get it. What are runes for? Learning Combat arts and that's it? Manual is so vague about it.

edit : and btw, what is this "regeneration" I keep hearing about? Health regen?

It's the time you need to wait before you can use the same skill again. Runes improve the efficiency of a combat art, but increase the regeneration time, so you can use it fewer times in the same period of time. You have to optimise it (which for me means leaving it on level 1 for a while and only upgrading every few level ups or so).

I think the length of the animation of a combat art is the minimum time you have to wait anyway, so it's no use keeping the regen time shorter than that, but this really doesn't mean too much as it increases pretty fast as you level up the combat art.

Shoogoo

Flachmatuch said:
It's the time you need to wait before you can use the same skill again. Runes improve the efficiency of a combat art, but increase the regeneration time, so you can use it fewer times in the same period of time. You have to optimise it (which for me means leaving it on level 1 for a while and only upgrading every few level ups or so).

I think the length of the animation of a combat art is the minimum time you have to wait anyway, so it's no use keeping the regen time shorter than that, but this really doesn't mean too much as it increases pretty fast as you level up the combat art.

Thanks, I bolded the part that I still don't understand.

1/ optimise the rune?
2/ the lenght of the animation?
3/ what does increase exactly?

Also, are runes the only way to go to learn combat arts?

Top Bottom