• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

It makes sense. Hair buns are called "dango" in Japan colloquially, and dumpling didn't convey the right kind of food in English.

And dango aren't normally meatballs either. Bunhead gets as close as possible to the actual reference without referring to something else entirely. Serena will always be Meatball Head to me though!

MikeMyers

Ol8WGkV.png

Episode 21 & 22 now on Hulu!

Ayumi

I'm sure some of you have seen or read about this already, but here's the final product of the "Moon Animate Make-Up!" project. Read about it when it was announced, but I wasn't particularly amused by the idea.
The result is awesome. You should watch it! There are some golden frames in between, so make sure you pay attention.

Moon Animate Make-Up! is a crowd sourced, group animation project that will re-animate a whole episode of Sailor Moon shot-by-shot in each artist's style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

eJdYPXz.png

Oh, I had been waiting for quite a while for that! I didn't know that it finally released yesterday. Awesome. Gonna watch it in a bit. Thanks for posting!

MikeMyers

So LOGO TV, a channel targeting the LGBT demographics, made a tournament about best homosexual characters in cartoons. Sailor Moon (for Haruka/Michiru) came in at 2nd place, losing only to Roger from American Dad.

That's actually really cool! Funny thing is, that channel is where I started watching Buffy on.

MarkusRJR

So due to Sailor Moon Crystal, I came to ask: Is the original series still worth watching? I remember watching a few episodes a year or so back and having to stop myself from cringing. It was really childish. Should I just stick to watching Crystal, or should I go back and watch the original show?

Also, if so... sub or dub?

Pluto

So due to Sailor Moon Crystal, I came to ask: Is the original series still worth watching? I remember watching a few episodes a year or so back and having to stop myself from cringing. It was really childish. Should I just stick to watching Crystal, or should I go back and watch the original show?
What did you watch a year ago? If it was the old english dub it's no surprise it made you cringe, burn it with fire!
The old anime is still worth watching in my opinion although it is too long and drawn out but even the most fillerish episodes still have charming xjaracter moments and great visual humor. It also fleshed out the villains, the manga failed at making them more than cannon fodder.

Also, if so... sub or dub?
Depends on what's you native language, there are a few good dubs. Do not watch the english dub! It's one of the worst anime adaptations I've ever seen, awful cuts, awful dialog, awful music, added cgi scene transitions ... blergh.
If in doubt, watch it subbed.

Sailor Moon 21

Things gets a little bit meta as the Sailor Guardians visit an animation studio. Even the enemies in this episode are monsters who use Mercury and Mars attacks. Interesting mix of the transformation sequences and there's a neat insert song.

Sailor Moon 22

This episode guest stars Velma.

Story heavy episode in which another Dark Kingdom character is seen, the Sailor Guardians finds out a little bit more about Tuxedo Mask and Usagi gets drunk and
gets a kiss from Tuxedo Mask

Zoe

Ah, the debut of Tuxedo Creeper.

Makes so much more sense in the manga. Though he's kind of even more of a creeper there :lol

cj_iwakura

I'm sure some of you have seen or read about this already, but here's the final product of the "Moon Animate Make-Up!" project. Read about it when it was announced, but I wasn't particularly amused by the idea.
The result is awesome. You should watch it! There are some golden frames in between, so make sure you pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

eJdYPXz.png

This is really great, but I hope I'm not the only one who gained an appreciation for the OG dub. It had some pretty good writing for an all-out localization. They added quite a bit of charisma, when they could have just phoned it in.

Narag

Sailor Stars 182

Another good one for different reasons. I've no clue what to think about Chibi Chibi at this point although I do have some suspicions, Pluto was hilariously awkward in her presentaiton, and I was actually bothered at Siren's cleaning out Iron Mouse's desk. It's possibly due to how clinical it all was in that it was presented as a company employee lamenting the fate of an ex-coworker that had been fired.

Mend my broken heart, Sailor Lead Crow.

MikeMyers

That's also the episode where Minako put you in the basket CHAMON.

tumblr_me0s0uj5bg1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

But I think this is the scene you are referring to?

tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o1_1280.png
tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o2_1280.png
tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o3_1280.png
tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o4_1280.png
tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o5_1280.png
tumblr_me0ukzBgE01ro8ba4o6_1280.png

Esmeraude and her episodes are awesome.

Narag

That'd be the one. I think I rewatched that bit more than a few times, just confused. I'd wondered where the basket gif had come from too as I couldn't recall the source when it was used against me in another thread.

MikeMyers

1I reviewed SM R earlier this year like you are doing with Stars and I posted that GIF, and yeah I was confused by Mamoru's speech to the point I rewatched that scene like three times.

tumblr_me0w32Wnij1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Also, that GIF is from the same episode.

Conan-san

Sailor Moon 24

Damnit, Nepherite, you were a complete piece of trash who wrapped a young teenager around your finger and even to the end you weren't being stright. So why is you going out like the punk that effecting.

You and your Ms. Minako moment...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Episode 2 was really good. This new art style an stuff almost makes Ami look good! It also makes me wanna be able ta play that Sailor V game even more!!

http://new.sailorvgame.org/games/featured/sailor-v-game/
Hm... maybe I can!

Here is the Amazon link for the Bluray of Set 1. They have it for $55.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0ETRHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
About the price of a game? Thats cheaper then I expected! But assuming theres 2 sets per season the entire series would come out to be... I dun wanna think about that.

eastx

About the price of a game? Thats cheaper then I expected! But assuming theres 2 sets per season the entire series would come out to be... I dun wanna think about that.

Yeah, buying a series as it gets released always ends up much more expensive than holding out for collected sets.

MikeMyers

10547685_758363260853441_9195460022176463240_n.jpg

Since it was Ayaka Komatsu's birthday (also Cordelia Chase's birthday) I decide to resume my PGSM watch and got to Mio's debut. Also, I finished up Saint Seiya and have more room to watch something, so I'll throw in Utena for Hitokage's sake.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yeah, buying a series as it gets released always ends up much more expensive than holding out for collected sets.
I learned this the hard way with the manga when the Vol.1-6 was released shortly after Vol.8 came out >_<;

I recognized most of 'em! *cool*

Is there something I'm missing they all have in common? Alot of 'em are pink but Sailor Moon is so not pink. An I'm pretty sure neither Rabi~en~Rose nor Hikari qualify as magical girls so thats out. What gives?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I recognized most of 'em! *cool*

Is there something I'm missing they all have in common? Alot of 'em are pink but Sailor Moon is so not pink. An I'm pretty sure neither Rabi~en~Rose nor Hikari qualify as magical girls so thats out. What gives?
All are magical girls or girls who transform

Top Bottom