• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

raYne

Dabanton said:
Yeah but it doesn't have a Oscar winning story ;-)
LarryDavid.jpg

You make a good point..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so can anyone say yet which version is superior? Should I just go with the 360 version? I'm really uncertain at this point.

pr0cs

hoping the local shop has it in stock this lunch-hour. I've been pining for a new game and dead space won't arrive till near the end of the month.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think I am going the 360 route on this one as well. The PS3 has been getting too much love from me lately.

MMaRsu

Okay so I haven't played that much yet, but I can already say I love this game way more than GTAIV. Lots of great laughs already..

Also people who are saying this looks almost exactly the same as part 1 need to get their eyes cleaned out, SR1 is fresh in my memory ( been playing it the last two days ) and it certainly looks better. Lots more detailed..

saladine1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, that Saints Row 2 is the best game I've ever played!

The second best game I've played is The Darkness.

Make your assumptions as you please.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
FedEx just dropped off my copy of the 360 version! Thank you Amazon release-day delivery!

Alas, I'm at work for another 6 hours :(

I'm grabbing my copy after lunch. The boss called in sick today so i'm leaving early, lol.

Getting Xbox 360 version, gamertag: BravoSuperStar

I'd love to play some online with you guys.

Loudninja

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm grabbing my copy after lunch. The boss called in sick today so i'm leaving early, lol.

Getting Xbox 360 version, gamertag: BravoSuperStar

I'd love to play some online with you guys.

Ah huh, you going to run in to her at the game store! :D

Costanza

Banned
I've only played the first 2 missions and I have no desire to ever touch GTA4 again.

This is the best sandbox game ever.

also, the soundtrack is fucking fantastic.

Known Shippable

Neo Member
Costanza said:
I've only played the first 2 missions and I have no desire to ever touch GTA4 again.

This is the best sandbox game ever.

also, the soundtrack is fucking fantastic.

It's really that good? I'll be picking my copy off tonight after work.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Okay so I haven't played that much yet, but I can already say I love this game way more than GTAIV. Lots of great laughs already..

Also people who are saying this looks almost exactly the same as part 1 need to get their eyes cleaned out, SR1 is fresh in my memory ( been playing it the last two days ) and it certainly looks better. Lots more detailed..
I just logged in to say the same thing. I was playing the first one yesterday and with only 10 mins in, this is already much better looking (As is obvious just looking at the pre-release media). Watched my brother play through the escape and into the city. Even the same areas are better looking this time around. Better textures, higher poly count on everything, better lighting, added effects, better game performance etc.

Also, the new car surfing? Awesome to the max. :lol

superfly

Theres a patch up already for the ps3 version (33mb)

Oh and a HDD install (no idea what size but its 6 mins in duration)

superfly

Unregistered007 said:
Has anyone played it on PS3 ? does the game require install, has any website compared the 360 and ps3 version ?

See my post above. 33mb patch upon boot followed by a HDD install of 6 mins.

Will post gameplay impressions in a bit

Gigglepoo

BobJustBob said:
That doesn't sound like an 8.

An 8 is a "Great". I reserve 9s for games I feel are innovative and potentially timeless. Something we'll probably still be talking about years from now, you know? Games whose ideas will be pillaged by other developers. Saints Row 2 isn't very different from the GTA3 series and doesn't look that hot, but it's still super fun. It's why the review text is more important than the score. I loved every second of this game and I think I get across why it's so fun in the text and my video review.

Everyone has to check out Zombie Uprising. I was shocked when I started it up. I expected some lame 2D retro arcade game, and got this super sweet zombie survival game. So intense. I'm going to see if we (GameSpot) can add a "Best Minigame of the Year" category so ZU can win an award. :D

raYne

What I don't like so far:
-No more dedicated kick button.
-No more running attack.

Everything about everything else is much better. <3

MMaRsu

raYne said:
What I don't like so far:
-No more dedicated kick button.
-No more running attack.

Everything about everything else is much better. <3

Yeah I dislike not having a running attack either, why remove that at all? :\

But the rest is fucking sweet. Snatch is so fucking cool the hoes follow you in another vehicle if you don't have enough room for them, so you know, some ho will jack a random fool and take his ride.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
But the rest is fucking sweet. Snatch is so fucking cool the hoes follow you in another vehicle if you don't have enough room for them, so you know, some ho will jack a random fool and take his ride.
:O

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
MMaRsu said:
Well that certainly makes up for them butchering it on the coop side :lol

Un4

Hope my import copy will arrive soon, a game with fucking Opeth on the tracklist needs to be in my collection. And i loved the original, my first game for 360 and played it to death.

That 80's station sounds really sweet too! :D

raYne

Even Septic Avenger is surprisingly fun. Swarms of people running away trying to avoid getting, well, shat on. Cops and eventually SWAT trying to stop you while you go on your rampage. The force of the blast pushing people, vehicles, street lights, whatever all over the place. Property values plummeting.

At one point there was a lone SWAT officer trying to stop the truck by shooting it with a tazer. :lol Needless to say, he failed and went flying 20 feet.

"Some days you eat the Mountain Lion.. and some days you get covered in shit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
superfly said:
See my post above. 33mb patch upon boot followed by a HDD install of 6 mins.

Will post gameplay impressions in a bit
If you get a chance, I would love to hear your impressions on the performance of the PS3 version.

superfly

dark10x said:
If you get a chance, I would love to hear your impressions on the performance of the PS3 version.

Its pretty smooth. As I'm sure you have read, graphics are not really what this game is about. there are issues with tearing and clipping but nothing that I didn't expect.

Its a very fun, arcadey experience but it definitely lacks the high production values of another sandbox game

MMaRsu said:
:lol that's cool
raYne said:
Even Septic Avenger is surprisingly fun. Swarms of people running away trying to avoid getting, well, shat on. Cops and eventually SWAT trying to stop you while you go on your rampage. The force of the blast pushing people, vehicles, street lights, whatever all over the place. Property values plummeting.

At one point there was a lone SWAT officer trying to stop the truck by shooting it with a tazer. :lol Needless to say, he failed and went flying 20 feet.

"Some days you eat the Mountain Lion.. and some days you get covered in shit.
:lol

Can't wait to get my copy :)

raYne

MrTroubleMaker said:
:lol

Can't wait to get my copy :)
The only "meh" activity I've seen so far is Trailblazing. It's probably better playing it that it is watching it, but it's not that fun to watch.

On the opposite end of the fun spectrum is Fuzz. Best new activity so far. I watched my bro chase down a "helmet-less rider" and he rammed him head on with a car sending him flying off his bike. Then ran straight up to him and kicked him in the balls and put two bullets in his spine to finish him off.

Then there are other times like taking out skaters with satchel charges :)lol) or just as I'm typing this a report comes up that there are Pirates killing Ninjas (lol what), another with drug dealers selling people steroids (the users are amped up and their punches send you flying down the block). :lol!

Fuzz is awesome.

"Now that's what I call must see TV"

picked up my collectors edition 360 from gamestop. they said they only got enough 360 collector editions versions for preorders. they had a bunch of people waiting outside when they opened the store, and one guy was there since 9am 'staring at me like a creep' was the quote :lol

Top Bottom