• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

Costanza

Banned
Mine froze once during
Bad Trip

the beginning of that mission is fucking awesome so I didn't mind playing it again.

I currently work at a Best Buy in Champaign (same place Volition is located). Early on a bunch of Volition guys I recognized came in on some "information gathering" mission, took some pics of the SR2 display he had set-up, etc. I shot the breeze with them. They told me the 360 version was the version to get, which is hardly a surprise considering it was the lead SKU. They did stress they were proud of how close the PS3 version is considering they have way fewer PS3 dev kits.

Later on a guy bought nine (9) 360 Collector's Editions. Clearly he was from Volition, but can't they get free copies of their own game? :lol

Then later in the day, a customer came up to me and causally asked:
"So, any new releases today?"
Me-"Yeah, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, Socom, Saints Row 2..."
"Saint's Row, eh? Were a lot of people buying that one? Like Grand Theft Auto popular?"
Me-"You...you work for Volition, don't you?"
"...yeah."

I felt a little weird outing the guy, so I then preceded to paint a realistic picture of sales to the guy. Solid, but not the swarms of people MGS4/GTAIV brought.

Long story short, Volition is good people and I wish them success.

The game is fucking great! I dissapointed in the jailbreak and almost regretted my purchase but I have been doing Ronin missions and...wow. The mission where
Aisha dies
was awesome and all of the others have been too. Final Countdown ftw!

newsguy

a Master Ninja said:
"Saint's Row, eh? Were a lot of people buying that one? Like Grand Theft Auto popular?"
"...yeah."

:lol

In hindsight, you shouldn't have outed him. Instead you could have answered "Yeah, we sold 9 CE's today!!!!" and when his face lit up you could have said "your co-worker bought them all... in your face bitch!" j/k cool story though.

Somnia

Spoiler free...but I just had my first freeze. I'm on a ronin mission after a very very awesome cut scene. The 2nd part of this mission there is a LONG ass drive where you have unlimited rocket launcher ammo and I get to the end and my guy even says 'Nice job I'm giving you a raise!" for her awesome driving, but then it said failed...so I restart and it locks up =(

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Just skimmed the last few pages, almost a full 3rd of people who have posted in this thread saying they have SR2 have reported at least 1 crash (7/24)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
a Master Ninja said:
I currently work at a Best Buy in Champaign (same place Volition is located). Early on a bunch of Volition guys I recognized came in on some "information gathering" mission, took some pics of the SR2 display he had set-up, etc. I shot the breeze with them. They told me the 360 version was the version to get, which is hardly a surprise considering it was the lead SKU. They did stress they were proud of how close the PS3 version is considering they have way fewer PS3 dev kits.

Later on a guy bought nine (9) 360 Collector's Editions. Clearly he was from Volition, but can't they get free copies of their own game? :lol

"...yeah."

I felt a little weird outing the guy, so I then preceded to paint a realistic picture of sales to the guy. Solid, but not the swarms of people MGS4/GTAIV brought.

Long story short, Volition is good people and I wish them success.

Awesome story! I only got to spend around an hour with the game, but it was long enough to love it. The jailbreak was fun, and then I immediately dressed my dude (who I modeled after the white, longhaired Jesus that we in America's south apparently worship, only with an evil grin and a pimp walk) up in a ladies tube top and low-hung jeans shorts, and then made a bee-line to the shit-spraying activity. Good times.

I haven't had any freezes yet (360) *knock on wood*

I love the Mayhem activity - it's a good way to build up reputation and earn some cash. A trick I learned:
the combo meter is the thing- it sounds odd but go after fences, lawn furniture, etc. with grenades, satchel charges, or rocket launchers to get big bucks fast; it's much easier and efficient than just blowing up cars, even when you get bonuses for blowing up different types of cars.

Nozdeuce

Union Carbine said:
I haven't had any freezes yet (360) *knock on wood*

I love the Mayhem activity - it's a good way to build up reputation and earn some cash. A trick I learned:
the combo meter is the thing- it sounds odd but go after fences, lawn furniture, etc. with grenades, satchel charges, or rocket launchers to get big bucks fast; it's much easier and efficient than just blowing up cars, even when you get bonuses for blowing up different types of cars.
Coop allows for the best of both worlds, when we did mayhem a few days ago my friend would do the fence thing and I'd take out cars. Makes things a lot easier

Loudninja

Only thing I dont like is the permanent facial expression you choose for your character, they looks pretty silly.

Edit:Buy.com shipped my order earlier today :D

MMaRsu

Loudninja said:
Only thing I dont like is the permanent facial expression you choose for your character, they looks pretty silly.

That's why I didn't choose one :).

Nozdeuce

Don't forget you can change things like your facial expressions, taunts, combat styles at the Image By Design plastic surgeons for only $500

Nozdeuce

Played my first round of SR2 Gangsta Brawl, was really fun but the 25 kill cap is pretty low for the 5 minutes it took for matchmaking to get everything going. Then it kicks you out to the main menu =/

Edit: Matchmaking is only taking like 30 seconds now, though the 25 kill limit is far too short.

Brashnir

PhatSaqs said:
Game is balls. Love it.

Hail to the king.

308jrec.jpg

Nozdeuce

Well free for all gangsta brawl is just about the worst thing ever, it's just all kill stealing

Loudninja said:

how else will I make my max payne guy tho!?

Nozdeuce

AgentOtaku said:
There's a new mode called Strong Arm where the two teams compete at various activities, killing enemy players and tagging stuff adds bonus points.

It's okay but pretty low rent

Edit: Went from a 10k lead to 90k difference at the end, I got more money than the entire other team combined. It's kind of directionless, I spawned killed a few people and then died. Respawned beside a sprayable tag so did that, then the Hitman target strolled down the sidewalk towards me so I took him out, ran around in circles for like 30 seconds and another Hitman target appeared near me so went and ran him down.

Locked up on Mission Complete on my second attempt of Jailbreak. Well I have all my character creation options down now. My 360 is usually the picture of stability - maybe its heading down the slippery slope to red ring land.

Nozdeuce

Holy crap, the Pimp Slap weapon is so cool, you hit people with it and they go flying :lol

Nozdeuce

Loudninja said:
Hmm I don't like are these freezing complaints.
It's not a huge deal usually, provided it doesn't happen just after you spent time remodeling your character it's usually pretty minor and slightly annoying

Managed to get just far enough to get the end of mission autosave in the tutorial mission but now its locking up just after I reload.

I tried 10mins of GTA4 and there was no weirdness so hopefully its not my 360 dying.

Jumping back to GTA for a bit reinforced two things...

- SR2 controls crap all over GTA4
- GTA4 art direction craps all over SR2

I'll try and grab a replacement copy at Best Buy tomorrow and see if that addresses my issues. There was a small mark on the disc that wouldn't wipe off so maybe that is causing bad craziness.

Despite the crashy frustration the tutorial itself was a fun intro to the game!

The_Dude

Got it today, loving it so far. Very glad to see Mayhem is back :D Looking forward to trying out all of the new diversions, too. Only problem so far is that I loved the car handling in GTAIV and it's taking a bit of getting used to in SR2.

Also, does anyone know if you can get more voices for your charcter? I realise there's only so much space on the disc, but I expected more than 3 male voices, or at least a generic white guy voice!

pilonv1 said:
(Images)
Couldn't get a good shot of the money clip :(
Got mine too :D Pity the vouchers are THQ and Smackdown specific, was hoping they'd just be EB vouchers. Fair enough, though, I suppose.

Brobzoid said:
isn't there a collector's edition for ps3? =( I want all the jersey...
It's apparently exclusive to Australia and New Zealand.

BobJustBob said:
I played for eight hours straight on my PS3 and it never froze up.

It feels so good to be right.

wondering about this as it seems I'm hearing about alotta games freezing more often on 360's

Mariner

I've had one freeze in about 8 hours. I'd suggest saving after everything just incase.

God is this ever a blast. I was a huge fan of the first game, but this exceeded my insanely high expectations. Not to mention that they improved Insurance Fraud, my favorite minigame ever.

When my character started singing Take on Me along with the radio I was in awe. If she starts singing Final Countdown then I will lose it. :lol

Mariner said:
I've had one freeze in about 8 hours. I'd suggest saving after everything just incase.

God is this ever a blast. I was a huge fan of the first game, but this exceeded my insanely high expectations. Not to mention that they improved Insurance Fraud, my favorite minigame ever.

When my character started singing Take on Me along with the radio I was in awe. If she starts singing Final Countdown then I will lose it. :lol

WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????

=O

Nozdeuce

AgentOtaku said:
WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????

=O
Your character will sing along with various songs, one of which is Take On Me.

Mr Jared

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does Saints Row 2 support local co-op? I didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews, but I'm picking it up tomorrow and want to know ahead of time if I should hype the girlfriend or not :lol

The OP only makes mention of online ... so I'm guessing that's pretty much all there is.

Kildace

I'm 7 hours in and I had one freeze total (360) during an activity.

This game is the shit. I love pimping cars, I love the activities, I love the missions, I love the soundtrack and the voice acting is surprisingly good. My chick is also reaaaaally hot. This game grabbed me in a way GTA4 never even came close to.

Loudninja

Kildace said:
I'm 7 hours in and I had one freeze total (360) during an activity.

This game is the shit. I love pimping cars, I love the activities, I love the missions, I love the soundtrack and the voice acting is surprisingly good. My chick is also reaaaaally hot. This game grabbed me in a way GTA4 never even came close to.

Post a pic :)

Top Bottom