• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

So I picked up a replacement disc from Best Buy tonight and it was still a festival of crashiness.

Tried to work out what to do - thought fuck it I'll clear the cache and see what that does. Lo and behold - I clear it, redownload the update and it works fine now. Three missions in a row and no crash.

raYne

After 13 hours of playtime (19% completed :lol) I finally decided to get into a few story missions. Holy shit @ the scene with Aisha and the Ronin in the house.

Brashnir said:
yeah, so I imagine. I've only played the new one for a couple hours, but waiting doesn't seem to go any faster.
FYI You can get upgrades that lower the meters faster by playing the Activities.

I've played for a little over 10 hours and finished the Brotherhood and am doing the Ronin missions now. I did a bunch of activities also. I only had the game freeze up on me once as a cutscene was loading; it actually happened near the end of my 7 hour straight play session.

These hitman mission are pissing me off. I spent over an hour trying to get 2 guys that are suppose to be in the trailer park come out with no luck.

Also, i am incredibly dissapointed in the clothing options. What missions or activities do i need to do to unlock more?

Brashnir

Did anyone else prefer the more colorful look of the first game? I've found this one to be pretty dreary-looking overall, where the first one was nice and vibrant.

raYne

Gamer @ Heart said:
These hitman mission are pissing me off. I spent over an hour trying to get 2 guys that are suppose to be in the trailer park come out with no luck.
Did you dress the part?

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Gamer @ Heart said:
I wore the mens tank top like it said and sweat pants. I figured that should have done it. I also started a dozen or more fights and the security guy never showed up.
That's really weird, I actually got the security guy after me while beating on the tank top target. Have you tried leaving the area and going back?

I will when i play again tonight. I just read up there are alot less clothes in this game. That makes me sad. Also, where is the Ultor mall?

Nozdeuce

Gamer @ Heart said:
I will when i play again tonight. I just read up there are alot less clothes in this game. That makes me sad. Also, where is the Ultor mall?
It's in the High End Retail District, if you look at your map it's that grey/brown square area just to the right of the Penthouse Loft. There's a Brown Baggers just across the street to the right of it. The underground entrance is that little white square along the same road as the Penthouse Loft. Hopefully that makes sense?

Cobra84

Brashnir said:
Did anyone else prefer the more colorful look of the first game? I've found this one to be pretty dreary-looking overall, where the first one was nice and vibrant.

Its really annoying, 12PM looks like 5PM on a cloudy day. I played for a few hours and didn't even notice the time change.

FIREBABY

Quick question. I know they have dlc planned for this, so have they said new music will be part of it? The Mixx is by far my favorite station. Duran Duran, A-ha, Men at Work, you just can't go wrong for those. Also, Born Jamaricans, I completely forgot about them. By the way I'm enjoying this way more than a game that shall not be named. I've been playing for 2 days and have only gotten 2 achievements.(lolz)

Nozdeuce said:
That's really weird, I actually got the security guy after me while beating on the tank top target. Have you tried leaving the area and going back?
man, i saw the security guard in the laundromat when i was leaving after activating the hitman missions, that was my first kill, it was random.

hell, a couple of the hitman targets were just randomly roaming andi whacked them...

Nozdeuce

The Faceless Master said:
man, i saw the security guard in the laundromat when i was leaving after activating the hitman missions, that was my first kill, it was random.

hell, a couple of the hitman targets were just randomly roaming andi whacked them...
While doing all the hitman targets I had a few pop up randomly too, can't complain.

Proc

I feel like an idiot for dismissing this game. I loved the first one and I don't know why I wasn't more hyped. This game rocks from the get go.

edit: will i miss any achievements if I play on casual? I'm just curious because I really like how they included an easier difficulty. Should make some missions more tolerable.

so far, i've done all the mayhem, hitman and chop shop missions, and the best part was in mayhem level 6 i killed a hitman target and after it finished, i put a nice souveneir in my garage... i also finished one of the snatch and one of the fight club activities.

Proc said:
I feel like an idiot for dismissing this game. I loved the first one and I don't know why I wasn't more hyped. This game rocks from the get go.

edit: will i miss any achievements if I play on casual? I'm just curious because I really like how they included an easier difficulty. Should make some missions more tolerable.
i play on hardcore, but i'm pretty sure that the difficulty doesn't affect any of the achievements.

raYne

:lol I just watched some poor cop get Murphy'd.

I just bought an warehouse/boat store and mugged someone that was hanging around outside, but I get a one star level 'cause a cop spots me. So I lure him inside my new acquirement to beat the hell out of him. Well, that's what was supposed to happen.

I have control of two friends and switch to non-lethal weapons for me (tazer gun) and bats for the crew. So the plan is to taze him and let the other two work him over. However, I forgot that the Saints occupy the area as soon as you gain it. So I taze him and he falls to the floor but before they can get to him, 4 Saints jump outa nowhere armed with shotguns and blow the guy apart. They must've fired 10+ shots... the poor guy didn't stand a chance. :/ :lol!

Proc said:
There are probably achievements for beating it on the various difficulties, but other that that you shouldn't be.

Jswanko

I told myself i would wait for this game to just come from gamefly but i caved. I loved the first, and considering how disappointed i was in the lack of crazy shit in GTAIV, this should be a great escape.

Billen

Banned
While I really dislike the somewhat sluggish performance of this title, the gameplay is awesome. Just buzzing around in the city causing general mayhem will keep me going for a long while. In this game you can actually survive even though the police chase you.

newsguy

So I played for an insane amount of time again tonight. Now it's really grown on me. I had a blast with the drug run activity. Once you get the satchels... Wow, it makes the chases better than Hollywood sequences. I would purposely throw them to the sides so that instead of blowing up the cars, the shockwave would blow out everyone in the car. Also, the minigun in fuzz :eek:

burnfout

I think my game is fucked.

I cannot get past the three kings mission, after the cutscene I get a black screen (just like in coop yesterday MMaRsu), and nothing happens..

FUCK.

sullytao

Thank you HMV :D just got it a day earlier than release and it is so fucking good and I have only done 2 missions. The 80's station alone makes it incredible. The bikes are alot of fun to drive and my favourite driving control is back (drive and brake with sticks) and it works great with every vehicle so far and definitely been fine tuned from the first.

MMaRsu

burnfout said:
I think my game is fucked.

I cannot get past the three kings mission, after the cutscene I get a black screen (just like in coop yesterday MMaRsu), and nothing happens..

FUCK.

Wow that's weird dude...did you try clearing your cache yet? If that doesn't help let's try it in coop tonight and maybe it will work once we clear it there.

But yeah that's strange.

raYne said:
There are probably achievements for beating it on the various difficulties, but other that that you shouldn't be.

I dont think any achievements are difficulty based. I could be off tho, 3.5 hours of sleep.

Game is too damn fun.

I cant get the co-op to work for shit, everyone that joins my game has cheats enabled. :(

boco77

Banned
so how frequent do you get checkpoints during a mission? is it only some missions or all of them have it where the objective changes or the mission is long?

Also I hope the game is less frustrating and better thought out as some of the missions on SR1 were so bad...like the one last one on West Rollerz Gang where you had to shoot the cars on the truck.

You had to avoid traffic that ONLY consisted of big trucks that took up most of the road, had to use the left stick move the car, use the right stick to rotate the camera sometimes, press the A button to accelerate and hold down the right trigger to shoot the cars off the truck, while dodging molotov bottles and gang members tailing you from behind. This part required 3 hands and was easily the worst bit in the entire game!!!

Costanza

Banned
boco77 said:
so how frequent do you get checkpoints during a mission? is it only some missions or all of them have it where the objective changes or the mission is long?
I've never had to replay more than 5 minutes of a mission. Usually much less.

burnfout

MMaRsu said:
Wow that's weird dude...did you try clearing your cache yet? If that doesn't help let's try it in coop tonight and maybe it will work once we clear it there.

But yeah that's strange.

yeah I just tried that, It worked :)

str8-h4x

boco77 said:

Also I hope the game is less frustrating and better thought out as some of the missions on SR1 were so bad...like the one last one on West Rollerz Gang where you had to shoot the cars on the truck.

You had to avoid traffic that ONLY consisted of big trucks that took up most of the road, had to use the left stick move the car, use the right stick to rotate the camera sometimes, press the A button to accelerate and hold down the right trigger to shoot the cars off the truck, while dodging molotov bottles and gang members tailing you from behind. This part required 3 hands and was easily the worst bit in the entire game!!!

Left bumper is your friend this time, it sets "cruise control". It's awesome.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Co-op is king! My god this game is amazing. I played a couple of hours with demi last night and had an utter blast playing missions and checking out all the new things to do in Stilwater. The other online modes are also a lot of fun, like Zombie Uprising.

I spent like a good hour creating a character that looks just like me. For the most part I got it right. I wish they had more voice options but the character creation tools work really well.

sullytao

boco77 said:

I actually loved that mission. It reminded me of a scene from Bad Boys 2. The best way to deal with that mission was to turn on stick accelerate/brake option.

boco77

Banned
sullytao said:
I actually loved that mission. It reminded me of a scene from Bad Boys 2. The best way to deal with that mission was to turn on stick accelerate/brake option.

Well after beating that mission I didnt play the last 3 saints missions that get unlocked when you take over the entire city. I just watched Ending 1. I was so frustrated by it I figured it would only get worse if I wanted to see the real ending (which I watched on youtube instead). I got the achievement points for taking over the city in any case :p From seeing the ending it looks like I didnt miss much anyway. But I hope its explained better in the sequel with
Julius backstabbing you at the end of SR1 like that?

pr0cs

Played for another hour or so last night, some story progression, the story seems a lot better than the first game, at least a little more cohesive. Going to finish 1 gang (working on Ronin first) and finish single gangs at a time (like I did with the first game).
I haven't had any game ending bugs or freezes yet, nothing really stands out as being particularly painful in terms of stability of the game. I'm playing it on normal and originally I thought it was perhaps a bit too easy but I've hit some missions where I've had to retry a few times because I got careless and swarmed.
The missions so far (all Ronin) are all pretty straightforward but varied enough that I'm still interested.

I really need to master the use of cruise control. The chase or be chased type missions would be a LOT easier if I actually spent time to figure out how to use cruise control, playing the game like SR1 makes these missions a lot harder than they should be.

I just wish I could clone myself for real life work because the next 4+ weeks are going to be crazy for games and I don't want to miss any of it.

I played some multiplayer last night (6v6 not co-op) and it was interesting. All that kept coming up was Gang Brawl... seems like the mode where you have to alternate through activities either can't be picked in quick match or it's just so heavily weighted towards brawl that the other mode rarely comes up. Wonder if it's different if you make a party.

I find myself wishing for a game that was the activities of this game with the physics and lethality of GTA4, with a cover system. However the gameplay here is fun. My early fears that this game was going to be too easy has been put to rest. Some of those high level activities are pretty challenging, which is a good thing.

Also, I beat zombie uprising last night... is that all there is to that mode? I wish they had made that into a mode that used the whole city and turned all of the stores into weapon/food depots and was just an infinite survival mode with 2-12 player co-op. Now that would have been incredible.

Game is fun, I am not disappointed with it at all.

MMaRsu

Hmm strange problem...

Trying to call my
vehicle delivery thing
but it says the number is invalid?? It does say I have it unlocked...

:\

Okay, finished. All levels of all activities (not counting Hitman/Chop Shop/Racing there mind), and the main story. There is one epilogue bit of story I know is coming, but the credits are rolling right now.

Last mission was pretty fun. Epic in a way, the gameplay was the usual but it was epic from a plot area. This is a great, great game.

About 30 hours gameplay to do all this, and there's still lots of sidequest bits to do.

Bear in mind I've had this for a good two weeks now as review code, so it did take me a while to plough through. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not to fire up the old arguments, but I personally would take this over GTA4 a thousand times. I really, really hope they make a third. This has the potential to become a legendary series.

Chris R

Is there going to be a demo for this on either the 360 or PS3? Youtube videos are turning me off as the gameplay I've seen just isn't for me. I'd like to try it out though...

boco77 said:
whats cruise control? you meat it has auto drive or something?

It's basically how it works with a real car. You set it on and it maintains the speed you were going at, but you still need to steer. Think of it like a brick on the pedal.

The best part of it is loading your car up with satchel charges, hitting cruise control before bailing out, and watching your car drive into a group of enemies before you make it all go boom.

Plus you can ghost ride your whip.

ram

rhfb said:
Is there going to be a demo for this on either the 360 or PS3? Youtube videos are turning me off as the gameplay I've seen just isn't for me. I'd like to try it out though...

its one of the ugliest games in recent years - i swear. and the gameplay - yeah - its gta: san andreas but you know - with ugly visuals. honestly, i cant believe how ugly the game looks...

and no, i cant say that loud enough!

Holy crap the activity variety is amazing.

Went streaking earlier which was good for a laugh( :lol at all of the random shit people will say when you run by them) then I played some Heli-Assault. Wish there was a bit more variety to that but now it's got me looking forward to getting an attack chopper of my own and blowing people off of roof-tops.

Trail-blazing isn't exactly difficult but it's so completely ridiculous it's hilarious. Having your co-op partner toss molotovs is just too much.

Next to Crackdown this is easily the best free-roaming game this gen. Even the game freezes aren't a huge issue since your progress is constantly temp-saved(as long as you pick Continue from the main menu).

Top Bottom