• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

raYne

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Awesome! I was wondering if this was possible.
Thanks to your avatar, I now have images of M.Bison ghost riding the whip in my head.

edit:
I really love how the Ambulance/Firetruck/Taxi/whatever missions have a bit of variety within itself.

Like the Ambulance missions aren't just glorified taxi missions where you take people to the hospital. You're doing things like performing CPR and using shock paddles to bring people back to life. Then the firetruck missions, you can use the hose on the truck if applicable, but you're often leaving the truck and running into burning buildings and putting out fires with your extinguisher.

Even the taxi missions where you're supposed to take people from point A to point B have a bit of variety. You can pick up a person who's wanted by the police. This gives you a X star wanted level and you have to dodge the cops/SWAT to drop people off. Or a would-be thief would get in the car and you have to do wild stunts to scare him off. Then there are times when you compete for fares with a rival taxi driver trying to take your customers.

edit:
Following up on the random Stilwater happenings:
I watched a Samedi gang member grab and pimp and hold him hostage via human shield mode and fight off two other pimps trying to stop him. He kept spinning left and right making sure neither of them could get in any clean hits, but then the rainbow pimp crew pulled up in an old school drop top and they swarmed him from all sides. After he got knocked down he was stomped/kicked to death by at least 5 pimps at the same time. :lol

raYne

dark10x said:
Holy shit, that is awesome. :lol
Well, it's no Pimp My Ride.

34il5oi.gif

1zw0rch.gif

No dancing, no sale.

Vargas said:
I am having some trouble doing the Mayhem activities. Does anyone have any tips?
Destroying the environment as well as people/cars is your best bet. Find a place with fences to keep the combo going.

Vargas said:
I am having some trouble doing the Mayhem activities. Does anyone have any tips?
Don't concentrate on going after vehicles. Blow up fences, lawn furniture, billboards, etc. Fences especially kick up some serious multipliers and cash. Use grenades, rockets, or satchel charges.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Vargas said:

In SR1 the best way I did it was to do it up to like level 3 or 4 in the beginning of the game. Then later when I could get more gang members with me I would tackle the higher level ones. They could help battle the cops when I was blowing shit up.

Vargas

Union Carbine said:
Don't concentrate on going after vehicles. Blow up fences, lawn furniture, billboards, etc. Fences especially kick up some serious multipliers and cash. Use grenades, rockets, or satchel charges.

Where can I find satchel charges? Is it just a specific Friendly Fire that has them?

raYne

ice cream said:
Wait, so there are less clothes in this game than the last?
Not really, it's just the fact that the clothing is split among both male and female. So if you're playing as a guy, then yeah overall you have less "guy" clothes compared to SR1, but the total amount seems to be quite a bit more.

The real issue is that if you're going for a specific style then you'll possibly have limited choices.

Grecco

1.Graphics are a mixed bag. Some Jaggies, Some Screen Tearing, Some blurry objects. Other times it looks really nice and much better than SR1

2.Its just plain fun. Fuzz activity is sooooooooooooooo amazing. Its a million times more fun than GTA. less polished but more fun

Brashnir

Union Carbine said:

or just drive a car through the length of a fence. :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Linkzg said:
It's basically how it works with a real car. You set it on and it maintains the speed you were going at, but you still need to steer. Think of it like a brick on the pedal.

The best part of it is loading your car up with satchel charges, hitting cruise control before bailing out, and watching your car drive into a group of enemies before you make it all go boom.

Plus you can ghost ride your whip.

Oh snap, why didn't I think of that! Guess what I'm going to try when I get home and start up SR2

raYne said:
Thanks to your avatar, I now have images of M.Bison ghost riding the whip in my head.

lol. I was going to try and make him my in-game character but I decided to re-create Jill Valentine, for Zombie Panic purposes. It actually turned out pretty good, even have a blue tube top and short black skirt. Combined with the salute "taunt" its not to bad.

Even the taxi missions where you're supposed to take people from point A to point B have a bit of variety. You can pick up a person who's wanted by the police. This gives you a X star wanted level and you have to dodge the cops/SWAT to drop people off. Or a would-be thief would get in the car and you have to do wild stunts to scare him off. Then there are times when you compete for fares with a rival taxi driver trying to take your customers.

I noticed this to, during one of my taxi missions a robber got in and I had to drive all crazy till they gave up, again just another touch that keeps the fun going. I also like the comments the old men make in the cab, hilarious one liners in this game. I was walking around the university and heard someone say "I've worked on a World War II game" as he was beating down someone for some reason....

Vargas said:
Where can I find satchel charges? Is it just a specific Friendly Fire that has them?
I know I got them in my inventory at level two or three of the Mayhem instance I was playing. Outside of that, not sure where to get them.

newsguy

Man, the game is all kinds of fun. Fuzz is awesome, but I can't lie, throwing satchel charges out of a moving car in Trafficking is hella crazy. The crazy thing is, both this and Mercs 2 are proof that games still need to be fundamentally FUN. GTA 4 did so many things well, the polish was head and shoulders over this and mercs and it had a better story (well from what I've played of SR2 so far). But here's the thing, when I wasn't playing GTA, I really didn't have that little kid urge to go home from work ASAP to play it.

With SR2 I can't wait to do more activities, other than the racing which I find boring, the activities are all really well done and addictive.

MMaRsu

ram said:
its one of the ugliest games in recent years - i swear. and the gameplay - yeah - its gta: san andreas but you know - with ugly visuals. honestly, i cant believe how ugly the game looks...

and no, i cant say that loud enough!

Hahaha jesus christ way to overreact.. It's not that ugly at all :lol .

Az987

all good things
dammit, im trying to do a hitman activity and it says to get the target to appear i need to drink a couple 40s by the abandoned drive in movie thearther in Arena

I found a movie theather in arena but it doesnt look like a drive-in and when i drink the
40s nothing happens... grrr pissing me off

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Az987 said:
dammit, im trying to do a hitman activity and it says to get the target to appear i need to drink a couple 40s by the abandoned drive in movie thearther in Arena

I found a movie theather in arena but it doesnt look like a drive-in and when i drink the
40s nothing happens... grrr pissing me off
Is there a giant white screen and a rundown looking building facing it with stairs along the back? If not, keep looking.

Lonestar

Yeah it is. I bought a lighthouse on the prison island, and in the "crib" there was something like a "gangster board", that lets you choose previously complete missions over again.

VALIS

Holy shit! I was just trying to run from the cops with 3 stars, and as I usually do instead of finding a Forgive & Forget I just hightail it to parts of the map where it's tough for them to find/follow me, like under bridges and in the sewers. I see an aqueduct/open sewer area and drive down into it, which makes the trailing cop car wipeout. So since I have some time to kill before my stars lower to 1 I start looking around. Under the bridge there's a sewer tunnel with the bars broken off, so I enter it. The tunnel keeps going and going and going, down and around. Finally after about 3 minutes of walking further down I found...

a HUGE, multi-floor underground laboratory! People walking around in full nuclear fallout gear, lots of rooms full of computers, labs, offices, even a large weapons storeroom with missiles. A really creepy and sinister vibe in the place, like right out of Black Mesa. Following the base all the way to the other end led me out to an exit/entrance that is underneath a waterfall in an unnamed, unowned area of the map.

Unfortunately, as big as the place is, and despite all the weapons and lab equipment, it doesn't seem like I can do anything there except observe.
Way cool though! I don't know if this place is common knowledge or what, but I had no idea about it beforehand, so I was pretty surprised and delighted to stumble upon it.

Lonestar

VALIS said:
Holy shit! I was just trying to run from the cops with 3 stars, and as I usually do instead of finding a Forgive & Forget I just hightail it to parts of the map where it's tough for them to find/follow me, like under bridges and in the sewers. I see an aqueduct/open sewer area and drive down into it, which makes the trailing cop car wipeout. So since I have some time to kill before my stars lower to 1 I start looking around. Under the bridge there's a sewer tunnel with the bars broken off, so I enter it. The tunnel keeps going and going and going, down and around. Finally after about 3 minutes of walking further down I found...

a HUGE, multi-floor underground laboratory! People walking around in full nuclear fallout gear, lots of rooms full of computers, labs, offices, even a large weapons storeroom with missiles. A really creepy and sinister vibe in the place, like right out of Black Mesa. Following the base all the way to the other end led me out to an exit/entrance that is underneath a waterfall in an unnamed, unowned area of the map.

Unfortunately, as big as the place is, and despite all the weapons and lab equipment, it doesn't seem like I can do anything there except observe.
Way cool though! I don't know if this place is common knowledge or what, but I had no idea about it beforehand, so I was pretty surprised and delighted to stumble upon it.

I have to think, you found the island in the left side of the map (lower left I think)
it's a nuclear plant. I only figure it's the same as what you are talking about, because of the fallout gear you mentioned

VALIS

Lonestar said:
I have to think, you found the island in the left side of the map (lower left I think)
it's a nuclear plant. I only figure it's the same as what you are talking about, because of the fallout gear you mentioned

It wasn't the power plant island (this was all underground, no access to the above), although I was walking underground for a while, and I don't know where I corresponded to the above ground world most of the time. I'll tell people where it is approximately if they want to know, but you'll still have to find a way down there somehow, because as I said, I just happened to stumble upon the open sewer grate...

There is a patch of unnamed, unowned territory to the NE corner of the University District. See that patch of brown there that no gang owns and it has no stores or activities? It's down underground there.... somewhere.

Costanza

Banned
I've played... 24 missions or so and I can't believe how fucking varied they are. It's so awesome and you feel like you're never doing the same thing twice.

Amir0x

Banned
I am still early in the game (just finished the, uh, third mission), but if anyone wants to fuck around and co-op I'm game. I wanna try it out.

Costanza

Banned
Grecco said:
"ho diversion" is basically Hot coffee without the visuals. This game went all out.
accidentally found that earlier in Technically Legal (best strip club name ever). so great :lol

I jacked a guy's car and he yelled KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

So, when do I get my new tag? I suggest something like "always proven correct in the end".

Ironballs

My biggest problem with the first game was the story progression. I hated being forced to complete a bunch of menial tasks before I could actually progress through the story, so I eventually just stopped playing it. Has that been remedied with this game?

kaskade

Ironballs said:
My biggest problem with the first game was the story progression. I hated being forced to complete a bunch of menial tasks before I could actually progress through the story, so I eventually just stopped playing it. Has that been remedied with this game?
You do have to do activities but I find them all pretty fun, especially fuzz. You get points for killing gang members and doing certain things and I've filled up my meter just from playing through a mission. I don't think it takes away from the game at all.

Ironballs

ThePeacemaker02 said:
You do have to do activities but I find them all pretty fun, especially fuzz. You get points for killing gang members and doing certain things and I've filled up my meter just from playing through a mission. I don't think it takes away from the game at all.

Sounds good. I have a $10 Circuit City giftcard I'm going to go use on this right now.

GT is Ironballs, hit me up if anyone wants to play co-op.

VALIS

Ironballs said:

I don't even know why they have a respect meter this time to unlock new missions. In SR1 I remember always being somewhere between 0 respect and x5, and would often have to do activities to be able to do more missions.

Right now in SR2 I'm x30 respect. It's not even an issue anymore.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oh shit oh shit. this is out tomorrow... 12 hours to goooooo. fuck and mother 3 drops this weekend too :(

What is the point of buying property? I bought the airplane hanger and I don't load there and I don't seem to be able to warp there. I could have saved $50,000.

Smokey

raYne said:
Well, it's no Pimp My Ride.

34il5oi.gif

oh my god:lol :lol

I got this from Gamefly today and put in about 1 hr 45 minutes. It's funny. Even in my limited time playing I was :lol multiple times.

raYne

Linkzg said:
What is the point of buying property? I bought the airplane hanger and I don't load there and I don't seem to be able to warp there. I could have saved $50,000.
The Saints take over the area (more gang support right off the bat) and you get discounts on whatever services the business offers. You also get cut of the profits which gets deposited at your cash stash in your home/hideout daily.

Nozdeuce

Linkzg said:
You can also store planes there. Planes you can take up into the sky, fly around for a bit, and then complete the circle and land and return to your hanger? =/

Bebpo

Banned
I accidentally picked up the PS3 version (wanted the X360 one but wasn't thinking and asked for the PS3 one and didn't realize it until I got home, but they're close enough so whatever) and played about 2 hours and really enjoyed it. Having selectable difficulty levels and checkpoints assure me that unlike GTA I won't get totally frustrated and give up on some mission.

I also really like the blue checkpoint/radar markers along the way. They remind me of Crackdown and help me figure out where I'm going.

Control is pretty good. Not a fan of forced R2 on the PS3 for shooting but I can live with it. Also holding O to bring up your weapon wheel is kinda finnicky because the button is pressure sensitive and the wheel only stays if you have 100% pressure on O. Btw is there only 1 car camera?

Visually it's about what I expected. On one hand it runs a teeny bit smoother than GTAIV and thankgod does not have that smeary vaseline blur look that GTAIV had (at least on PS3). Looks fairly sharp though nothing really jumps out at you. The only graphical issue I've seen so far is that all the neon signs/billboards shimmer like the power line from GTAIV in motion because there's no AA.

I enjoy the writing A LOT more than GTAIV. I didn't find GTA funny at all, just embarassing with all the swear words and titties every line. SR2 actually has some funny lines so far. Though since it's a direct sequel it's kind of weird for someone like myself who played SR1 for a total of like 1 hour.

PSN: bebpojp, down to play co-op sometime this weekend.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Bebpo said:
I accidentally picked up the PS3 version (wanted the X360 one but wasn't thinking and asked for the PS3 one and didn't realize it until I got home, but they're close enough so whatever) and played about 2 hours and really enjoyed it. Having selectable difficulty levels and checkpoints assure me that unlike GTA I won't get totally frustrated and give up on some mission.

I also really like the blue checkpoint/radar markers along the way. They remind me of Crackdown and help me figure out where I'm going.

Control is pretty good. Not a fan of forced R2 on the PS3 for shooting but I can live with it. Also holding O to bring up your weapon wheel is kinda finnicky because the button is pressure sensitive and the wheel only stays if you have 100% pressure on O. Btw is there only 1 car camera?

Visually it's about what I expected. On one hand it runs a teeny bit smoother than GTAIV and thankgod does not have that smeary vaseline blur look that GTAIV had (at least on PS3). Looks fairly sharp though nothing really jumps out at you. The only graphical issue I've seen so far is that all the neon signs/billboards shimmer like the power line from GTAIV in motion because there's no AA.

I enjoy the writing A LOT more than GTAIV. I didn't find GTA funny at all, just embarassing with all the swear words and titties every line. SR2 actually has some funny lines so far. Though since it's a direct sequel it's kind of weird for someone like myself who played SR1 for a total of like 1 hour.

PSN: bebpojp, down to play co-op sometime this weekend.
whaaaaaaat. that put a serious dent in my hype-train. :(

Striker

Lonestar said:
Yeah it is. I bought a lighthouse on the prison island, and in the "crib" there was something like a "gangster board", that lets you choose previously complete missions over again.
How is that lighthouse crib? That, of the available crib locations, looks to suit my interests the most.

I hope I can get boats stored near the dock. :0)

Nozdeuce

Striker said:
How is that lighthouse crib? That, of the available crib locations, looks to suit my interests the most.

I hope I can get boats stored near the dock. :0)
Petitioning to have a revolving door installed at the prison are we? :lol

Lighthouse itself is okay, 2 floors with a much different layout than the other cribs. Can't remember if it has a dock dock or just a garage, I want to say no dock :(

Top Bottom