• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

Darkman M

Didn't plan on getting this, but after seeing these new videos and previews i preordered from Amazon yesterday. Game looks too fun to miss!

raYne

Love the shots in the new blog update MMaRsu posted. FYI MMaRsu, your link it screwed. :p
http://community.saintsrow.com/blogs/?cat=4

District Variety:
districts.jpg

From the pristine glass and steel of the new Saints Row district, to the run down Sunnyvale Gardens, to the flashy new Downtown, there’s a lot of flavor throughout the city of Stilwater. We took care to make sure each district stood out on it’s own without feeling like a different world altogether. Details like the architectural style, props and clutter, level of wear and tear, signage, and lighting played important roles in giving each district its unique feel.

Time Of Day Cycle:
tod.jpg

A lot of time and effort went into our time of day cycle. The color palettes for each phase of the day, be it sunrise, sunset, dusk or night, help drive the overall look of the game. All aspects of the time of day cycle are edited by an artist (well, me actually) using a well-crafted control panel we call weTODed (weather and Time of Day editor). The advantage to having an artist control all aspects of the sky and weather is the consistent color palette they can achieve. Really, the Time of Day lighting and weather stages define the overall look of the game when outdoors, so it was very important that a lot of artistic focus went into fine-tuning these settings.

Setting up the final time of day cycle was full of challenges. Not only did the colors of the lighting, sky and fog planes have to work together for each time of day, they all had to transition between each time of day. For example, if noon had a blue sky, and sunset had a yellow sky, it’s possible to get a strange shade green in between those hours as the game translates between the two settings. To overcome this, extra settings were created as “transition” settings to help guide the colors in the right direction.

The end result is a dynamic range of colors that cycle as the player explores the game.
As expected, it looks much better in certain shots. Night/dusk for instance, when there are more lighting than just the sunlight.

Weather Stages:
weather.jpg

In addition to sun/moon light colors, we used a number of frame buffer effects and multiple fog planes to give the world an atmospheric quality. The goal was to give the impression various weather conditions, like the humidity of an overcast afternoon, or the hazy feel you might experience after a heavy thunderstorm. These different atmospheric settings give the world an always changing visual variety.
Thunderstorm shots look amazing.

Wear and Tear:
wearandtear.jpg

In addition to having a vibrant time of day cycle, the city shows a variety of wear and tear levels. The projects are in a state of urban decay, filthy and unmaintained, Stilwater University is clean and nicely landscaped, and areas like Encanto in the Barrio district are well-worn but an effort is made to maintain the streets and landscaping. These levels of wear and tear determine how trashy and cluttered an area is, adding another layer of variety to the city.

MMaRsu

Oh shit that launch trailer is fucking awesome..

Too bad the song isn't on the soundtrack but w/e custom soundtracks ftw :p

Black_Ice said:
Just picked this up today.

What? Where dude?

MMaRsu

Loudninja said:
Ah man its not on the soundtrack? :(

Nope. Hiphop radio is seriously dissapointing aside from the Big Pun Apache & Nas track.

Oh well.

Well maybe it's one of the hidden cd tracks though, forgot about that.

Wondering if maybe I should create a new thread thread for the launch trailer? Get some people hyped up :p.

Linkhero1

MMaRsu said:
Nope. Hiphop radio is seriously dissapointing aside from the Big Pun Apache & Nas track.

Oh well.

You could always upload music onto your hard drive and make a custom station :)

Loudninja

MMaRsu said:

Oh well.

Oh well, lots of other stations,might find some songs I like :D

MMaRsu

Linkhero1 said:
You could always upload music onto your hard drive and make a custom station :)

Not possible.

raYne said:
You can destroy the environment in Mayhem to get points now? :D

You could always do that man, I remember lobbing grenades at fences to get loads of points.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
You could always do that man, I remember lobbing grenades at fences to get loads of points.
Oh yeah? Forgot about that then..

Anyway, looking at the IGN vids there are even different types of activities within activities. See Destruction Derby where there's a long list of different Derby types. Including farm equipment, construction, meter maid scooters.. hell even Jackass inspired golf cart derbys. :lol

Content ftw!

MMaRsu

Linkhero1 said:
Well not a radio station per say, but a custom track list. I did it in first Saints Row. At least I think I did. I'll have to go back and check it out later.

Well yeah you CAN create a custom radio list, buy the tracks you like and use that as a radio station. But you can't use tracks from your HDD for that though..

And raYne, there weren't that many things destructable in SR1 though, so only shit like those green fences and normal fences.

Linkhero1

MMaRsu said:
Well yeah you CAN create a custom radio list, buy the tracks you like and use that as a radio station. But you can't use tracks from your HDD for that though..

And raYne, there weren't that many things destructable in SR1 though, so only shit like those green fences and normal fences.
Nevermind. You can play musics during the game through the pause menu I believe but it also plays while you're outside your car.

Black_Ice said:
Heh heh heh...
SAINTS ROW 2 Image

Will be playing later.
How did you get it early?

Billen

Banned
Brobzoid said:
let's be friends!

I know you can't see it, but I have printed your avatar out in human size and put it on a mannequin. I gently caress it while I whisper the words "Saint's Row, row our boat, gently down my dream."

Gorki247

MMaRsu said:
Are you sure? I know that in the original, you could create a custom playlist on your hard drive (via the dashboard as normal) and then use that playlist in SR. However, you cannot edit or delete this playlist from within the game, you have to go back to the dash to make any changes.

the thumb drive is really cheap feeling plastic, but the money clip is pure class.

IMG_3052Large.jpg

(controller isn't dirty, it was dyed black at one time, but it has since worn off a layer of plastic.)

MMaRsu said:
Haha money clip looks damn nice actually, swagger style :lol

Now pop the game in! :p
game went in before last picture was taken :D

-graphics whores will not be impressed
-framerate far from perfect
-some screen tearing
-septic avenger so awesome

SO MANY CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS!

you control how he walks, talks, communicates. so awesome.

MMaRsu

SIP YEK NOD said:

-some screen tearing
-septic avenger so awesome

SO MANY CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS!

you control how he walks, talks, communicates. so awesome.

Hmm okay, well I'm not a graphics whore, I don't really care if it's no GTAIV. Plus I don't have an HDTV and I think screen tearing is more noticable on HDTV's right?

Also framerate is not perfect, okay well all the vids I've seen so far on IGN and youtube seem to suggest otherwise, well ofcourse there's gonna be a few hitches every now and again, but I don't mind too much as long as it doesn't drop real low or something.

:)

SIP YEK NOD said:

-some screen tearing

Is there an option for v-sync in the menu's? And what are you playing it on if I may ask?

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Is there an option for v-sync in the menu's? And what are you playing it on if I may ask?

yes, v-sync option. looks much better afterwards.

also, i just spooged over vehicle customization options. so much stuff, oh my god.

the wheels, you can choose the size, wheel profile, wheel depth, so many wheel style options, so much stuff.

here are a couple crappy off-screen pics, back wheels are 1/3 width, fronts are 3/3. backs are 10/19 size, fronts are 19/19. backs are super high profile, fronts are super low profile

both are the same wheel style and tread style(yeah, you can choose that stuff too)

SA400004.jpg

SA400005-2.jpg

sorry about shit quality, my G9 battery died.

raYne

SIP YEK NOD said:
yes, v-sync option. looks much better afterwards.

also, i just spooged over vehicle customization options. so much stuff, oh my god.

the wheels, you can choose the size, wheel profile, wheel depth, so many wheel style options, so much stuff.

here are a couple crappy off-screen pics, back wheels are 1/3 width, fronts are 3/3. backs are 10/19 size, fronts are 19/19. backs are super high profile, fronts are super low profile

both are the same wheel style and tread style(yeah, you can choose that stuff too)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/SIPYEKNOD/SA400004.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/SIPYEKNOD/SA400005-2.jpg

sorry about shit quality, my G9 battery died.
Were there was such a thing as having too many customization choices, this game is pushing it.. hard.

I love it. :lol

raYne

Loudninja said:
Expected. I could've told you the game'd get 8-8.5's a year ago. :lol

Closing comments for the lazy:
Closing Comments
Saints Row 2 isn't a GTA killer, but instead it's a GTA alternative. Players who enjoyed the action-packed moments in GTA will have an absolute blast with Saints Row 2. It's tough not to hate on the slightly lacking production values, but when you see the rest of the game it actually makes a bit more sense. The technical shortcomings are the only truly bad part of Saints Row 2, but the core gameplay experience is extremely enjoyable. Do yourself a favor and -- if you're a fan of open world games -- go out and pick up a copy of Saints Row 2. There's enough crazy-insane tomfoolery to keep a machete in the hands of even the most straight-laced citizens.

SIP YEK NOD said:
Yeah, I saw something similar already.

Someone (ie you) should try to trick out some of the "unusual vehicles". ATV, Jetski, boat, planes, choppers etc. I know the ATVs and bikes are possible, but I have no idea about the others.

newsguy

Dammit stop making me spend money! Donkey piss, is there some kind of sticker creator option like Forza 2 had? Like can you draw penis stickers and put them on your car?

raYne said:
Expected. I could've told you the game'd get 8-8.5's a year ago. :lol

Closing comments for the lazy:

Yeah, I saw something similar already.

Someone (ie you) should try to trick out some of the "unusual vehicles". ATV, Jetski, boat, planes, choppers etc. I know the ATV's possible, but I have no idea about the others.

some vehicles it says are too big for the customazion shop, but i found a compensator all pimped out already, so there might be a way to get trucks and shit customized.

SA400011Large.jpg

SA400013Large.jpg

newsguy said:
Dammit stop making me spend money! Donkey piss, is there some kind of sticker creator option like Forza 2 had? Like can you draw penis stickers and put them on your car?
no sticker option i can see, you can't even pull the stickers off taxis

Top Bottom