• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

BobJustBob said:
I guess an Oscar-worthy story is worth 1.8 points.
duck_hunt_dog.gif

Bodom78

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Anyone seen this yet? The naughty bits are blurred, but still funny. The ending is the best part =)

Female Streaking gameplay (NSFW)

lol, that's awesome. Free Your Inner Sinner has a cool srvey where you can select to have you character streak as well. Fat dude + Streaking = Win!

Seeing as the overall reviews and feedback has been good, looks like another title I will need to pick up this month. Got a 8/10 in the Official Aussie 360 Magazine.

My poor wallet is crying.

I can't believe people have the game already:(

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Does anyone know how to unlock the wrestling moves? Me and a friend completed the two Fight Clubs and got an achievement but it unlocked other things. I wanna get my Rock Bottom on :(

MMaRsu

Nozdeuce said:
Does anyone know how to unlock the wrestling moves? Me and a friend completed the two Fight Clubs and got an achievement but it unlocked other things. I wanna get my Rock Bottom on :(

You get the wrestling moves by finishing the Brotherhood gang.

Found the truck shop :D

Custom wheels on a big rig :D

edit:

SA400014Large.jpg

When you Get A New Car
And you Feelin Like A Star
Watchu Gone Do?

SA400020Large.jpg

everything is better with ninjas

Durandal

Banned
Got it today.

Im a couple of hours into SR2 now. Im a bit dissapointed in the customization options provided. After playing and loving the first one i expected to have an even bigger blast with this one. But the custom stuff falls short. Either you have to unlock the complete customization during the course of the game (right now you unlock "styles" for your gang) or it just isnt there. You basically get tilesets with different npcs. you choose one of them to be your gang. I really thought i could customize them myself like i can customize my avatar. I really sont understand why they didnt bring it in. The whole editor is already there.

Instead your choices when it comes to gang customization are extremely gimped. As i said im only a few hours in and may yet unlock a "freeystyle" gang editor, but i dont get why it isnt there to beging with. The gang signs are extremely dumb and almost all of them look goofy. Also, so far you cant customize your gangs cars but only choose from prepimped (and unlocked rides).

The walk+gun gameplay is basically the same with a couple of nice improvements and a handful of really fun and new weapons. You can also dualwield pistols and smg´s which is always cool.

There are a couple of new sidemissions to do like spraypainting property with liquid shit to devaluate real estate. The old ones are as fun as ever and they improved the hitman missions by actually making targets appear on the map and radar.

The story is as over the top as it was before and if you enjoyed the cutscenes from the first one you will most likely enjoy these.

I have a big issue with the driving though. Somehow they fucked up the feeling of all the vehicles. They turn to rigidly + the cars feel like on rails all the fucking time. Im glad that the driving is not the focal point of this game. It really sucks now.

My 2 Cents so far: If you liked the first one and want more, youll like it. Theres more of everything + a handful of new toys.

MMaRsu

And here are the scores so far :).

IGN - 8.2/10

“Do yourself a favor and — if you’re a fan of open world games — go out and pick up a copy of Saints Row 2.”

“…the core gameplay experience is extremely enjoyable. There’s enough crazy-insane tomfoolery to keep a machete in the hands of even the most straight-laced citizens.”

“Saints Row 2 takes GTA’s gameplay, turns it on its side and sends it rolling down a mountain filled with land mines, roving monster trucks and ninjas.”

IGN AU - 8.0/10

“Arguably, [Co-op] is also the best way to experience Saints Row 2…You’ll want to share the explosions, massive jumps, stupid-but-entertaining cutscenes, secret sex grottos, morbidly obese hookers, beanpole Goths, punks playing craps, cops beating up nude public love-makers and other oddities that populate this world.”

Total Video Games - 9/10

“For the sequel, Volition has managed to bridge the gap between completing missions and just doing your own thing perfectly. Diversions now reward you for a wide variety of actions from powerslides and near misses in a car, to collecting CDs and streaking in public, which in turn reward you with Respect points.”

“Activities feel less of a chore than they did in the original Saints Row, making the experience infinitely more entertaining and enjoyable.”

PALGN - 8.5/10

“The actual narrative itself is also very well crafted, with some quite frankly hilarious writing that’s pulled off very successfully by the game’s large cast of voice talent.”

“…Saints Row 2 is outright the most entertaining open-world experience available. No game offers this amount of crazy fun, and no rivalling experience could pull it off with the sense of humour and exaggerated style that’s on show here.”

Gameshark - A- (91/100)

“…you will absolutely want to do the various activities for two reasons. One, they are fun as hell and two, you get some pretty cool stuff for your efforts.”

“As you progress through the various gang stories, cutting a bloody swath in the process, you’re treated to some of the best directed cut scenes in a video game to date. Beautifully choreographed and fantastically voiced, these cut scenes are a joy to watch and do a great job of not only telling the story, but helping to flesh out your character.”

Billen

Banned
Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

Thank you, universe. Next week will be completely pimp-a-riffic, european style. Shouldst I basheth in thyne headeth, oh fucker of mothers?

MMaRsu said:
Hey SIP YEK NOD, can you try if you can customize the APC vehicles that the police use?

I'll do that right now :)

I just finished the storyline. i did a bunch of activities off the start, and just just just barely made it with enough rep to do the last mission :D

all in all, 16 hours 19 minutes and i'm at 62% that's pretty much the bare-minimum time to finish it. there is still probably 5-10 hours of activities left too, so much stuff to do in this game.

Impressions:

-storyline is decent. some things you really don't see coming. some really dark moments.
-Great mission variety.
-awesome vehicle customization.
-good vehicle variety.
-voice acting is great, some of the bigger name actors only have a couple lines, that's a little dissappointing
-ninjas
-NINJAS!
-some really neat ideas put into the game
-so much variety in player and clothing customization

well.

SA400021Large.jpg

There's your answer.

Where are they selling this game early?
I got mine at future shop.(canada) :D

should I get this on the PS3 or 360?
It's a co-op heavy game, so wherever your friends are. If you don't have friends, the 360 player pool is likely going to be much deeper, like with R6:V2, and pretty much everybody will have a headset.

Both versions should perform about the same.

Did you try coop as well or are the servers not up yet?

i had about 5 requests for co-op throughout the game, but you can't accept if you're on a mission, and people have no patience. i'll probably play co-op tonight if anybody else has the game for 360.

MMaRsu

SIP YEK NOD said:
well.

SA400021Large.jpg

There's your answer.

I got mine at future shop.(canada) :D

It's a co-op heavy game, so wherever your friends are. If you don't have friends, the 360 player pool is likely going to be much deeper, like with R6:V2, and pretty much everybody will have a headset.

Both versions should perform about the same.

i had about 5 requests for co-op throughout the game, but you can't accept if you're on a mission, and people have no patience. i'll probably play co-op tonight if anybody else has the game for 360.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit nice ride :p.

Too bad you can't accept when your on a mission for coop, but it's logical I guess. :p.

raYne

SIP YEK NOD said:
:lol

As for the co-op topic: From the IGN Aus review:
If you want to go and spray some crap on a suburb while your buddy is flying a helicopter on the other side of the map, so be it. If you want to join in, you can – a menu option will automatically offer you participation, which is thoughtful. If that same buddy wants to help you out with a story mission, you can quit by double-tapping down on the D-pad and quitting out of any mission you're in at any time to go and join them. If you want to break into 12-player multiplayer shootouts for money and rank, go for it. Everything is at your fingertips and it goes far deeper than in GTA IV.
Hmmm?

Unless they meant if the friend is already in the game with you.

MMaRsu

raYne said:
:lol

As for the co-op topic: From the IGN Aus review:

Hmmm?

Unless they meant if the friend is already in the game with you.

You could always double tap d-pad down to quit a mission or activity in SR1, so it's good to know that's back.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
You could always double tap d-pad down to quit a mission or activity in SR1, so it's good to know that's back.
Ya, but we're talking about co-op in particular. Remember he said,
SIP YEK NOD said:
i had about 5 requests for co-op throughout the game, but you can't accept if you're on a mission, and people have no patience.

So, if applicable, he could just quit out of whatever mission he was on and join up with a friend. Or vice versa.

My stats:

play time: 18:51:15
respect earned 468553
Money earned $887395
arrests 0(its really hard to get arrested, they'd rather fill you full of lead
number of deaths 36
hospital bills: 3000
time at highest police notoriety: 12:59
" Gang: 22:01
number of missions completed: 41 of 42(wtf?)
stores owned: 8 of 90
homies: 4 of 9
cars unlocked(special cars) 21 of 42
secret areas found 3 of 32 :eek:
shots fired: 21933
hit percent: 25.39
56% with the shotgun :D
89% with the RPG
55% in 40 shots with sniper
vehicles owned: 60
vehicles destroyed: 138
miles travleed:
by foot: 61
car: 222
motorcycle:11
aircraft: 27
co-op time played: 00:46(accepted, but guy didn't wait for me to finish last minute of mission)

raYne

Loudninja said:
Wow finished the storyline already SIP YEK NOD? :/
A bare minimum of 16+ hours, before getting into the activities isn't that bad.

..and looking at his stats, he really hasn't even done anything. :lol

Loudninja

SIP YEK NOD said:
My stats:

respect earned 468553
Money earned $887395
number of deaths 36
89% with the RPG
miles travleed:
co-op time played: 00:46(accepted, but guy didn't wait for me to finish last minute of mission)

raYne said:

Ok I feel bette :D

raYne said:

Well you have to do a pile of activities to get the respect to do missions, remember.

I got up to 30something off the start just doing activities before getting into the story.

I did a full crowd control, sewage thing, insurance fraud, and a couple others, but there is a ton of shit in this game. even after completing the storyline it is a bit overwhelming.

Without posting any major spoilers, do they leave the story open for a sequel?
yup.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh wow, PC getting it too? Is there any reason to get that one over the console versions?

madmook

Holy fuck I can roll with a ninja posse. SOLD. Though I'm guessing just because they have the get-up they don't actually move around like ninjas? Still, the costume is enough to make it.

raYne

DeadGzuz said:
How does co-op work, do you move through the story of the host, or do both players get to progress?
Yeah, you go through the hosts world, but whatever money/respect you earn from missions or activities is saved and comes back with you to yours.

Then any story missions you've completed in co-op, you have the option to skip it entirely when you reach it in your game. The activities however, don't carry over.

edit:
Oh, forgot to mention that the game scales itself to the additional player. So there are more enemies in any situation and it's overall more difficult. Plus, if you don't know, no player tether. Woot!

Teetris said:
Oh wow, PC getting it too? Is there any reason to get that one over the console versions?
Other than the obvious?

Loudninja

So only else here getting or got the PS3 version besides me?

lmao

Do I see ninjas sitting there reading the paper and drinking tea?

Is that your gang? A gang of ninjas?

Yeah you can customize your gang to ninjas if you want to.

sullytao

After finishing the very last mission can you keep playing in the city or is it like the first where you need to leave the last mission unfinished to continue playing?

sullytao said:
After finishing the very last mission can you keep playing in the city or is it like the first where you need to leave the last mission unfinished to continue playing?

city is yours after doing the last mission

lmao

Do I see ninjas sitting there reading the paper and drinking tea?

Is that your gang? A gang of ninjas?

yup :D

the options i have so far for the gangs are:
80s(think run DMC), body guards(suits and swat gear), gangster(gangster :p ), ninjas!(so awesome, there is even a ninja-like taunt), pimps and hos, prephop(30s gangsterish), and sporty(track suits and basketball jerseys)

Without posting any major spoilers, do they leave the story open for a sequel?

just to expand on that, they leave it so it can go either way. the story concludes, but no bridges are burned.

MMaRsu

SIP YEK NOD said:
My stats:

respect earned 468553
Money earned $887395
number of deaths 36
89% with the RPG
miles travleed:

Actually there is an extra mission, which I read somewhere, let me go see if I can dig that info up for you and I will pm it. Although if it's too spoilerific I don't want to know myself :p.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Lol I got banned from the official SR forums...
:lol idiots :lol

Whatever, that forum sucks anyway, too many 13 year old morons there.
Skimmed it months ago and never went back. From the posting there, I wouldn't think that'd be possible.

edit:
The only part of that commercial I liked was the cellphone scene with the custom character rotation. Other than that, eh.

MMaRsu

raYne said:
Skimmed it months ago and never went back. From the posting there, I wouldn't think that'd be possible.

edit:
The only part of that commercial I liked was the cellphone scene with the custom character rotation. Other than that, eh.

Yeah its not really a great commercial, I liked that part as well and the song is sweet, but it's far too chaotic.

Go canada! finally we get something early.

i found the last mission.

to get it you go to the third floor of the police station, listen to a couple recordings, then get a phone number off the police chiefs desk and call it.

It explains what happened at the end of the last game.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Yeah its not really a great commercial, I liked that part as well and the song is sweet, but it's far too chaotic.
More importantly, how did you manage to get banned? :lol

MMaRsu

raYne said:
More importantly, how did you manage to get banned? :lol

Lol there was this thread about if you can customize police vehicles, and I linked to the shot that SIP YEK NOD made, and a picture of the retail box that he bought, because it's not allowed to leaked shit from the pirated game. So just to be sure I posted the retail box as well.

I was banned for two weeks because it's not out yet, and according to the mod that's a leak. The thread was removed and my account was banned. So I created a new thread PM'ing a mod for an explanation and he PM'd back it's not allowed to have two accounts, before I could reply that account was banned as well.

Fucking moron's I tell ya.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Lol there was this thread about if you can customize police vehicles, and I linked to the shot that SIP YEK NOD made, and a picture of the retail box that he bought, because it's not allowed to leaked shit from the pirated game. So just to be sure I posted the retail box as well.

I was banned for two weeks because it's not out yet, and according to the mod that's a leak. The thread was removed and my account was banned. So I created a new thread PM'ing a mod for an explanation and he PM'd back it's not allowed to have two accounts, before I could reply that account was banned as well.

Fucking moron's I tell ya.
2hmemas.gif

Top Bottom