• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

KorrZ

Had a co-op session with my buddy last night, we played for about 4.5 hours. Honestly, this game is just pure fun. We spent so much time just fucking around, doing side activities, and collecting data clusters. The humor so far has been completely on-point, it's a complete stark contrast to GTA4 with that disconnect of the story vs mayhem. I don't even think twice in this game about smacking people 200 ft away with a baseball bat while wearing a Johnny Gat mascot suit.

Also, the romance options are hilarious. I died laughing at:

Hey Kinzie, wanna fuck?
I love the little dig at Mass Effect there.

ultron87

Played about two and a half hours last night. Really love it. I had purposefully avoided most of the pre-release stuff so the extent to which the game becomes Crackdown was a pleasant surprise.

The 360 performance seems perfectly fine to me so far. I have it installed so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Is there a way to change radio stations while you're not in a vehicle?

Its the same way you do it when you're in a vehicle, right?

noomi

anyone gaming with an SLI setup and getting poor SLI scaling?

Even with the added SLI bits from SR3, I'm only getting 40-60% gpu usage around some parts of the city.

Gvaz

Banned
Which console to get it on? 360 or PS3? I'm aware they are both flawed but still...

Get it on the console PC. I hear it's pretty awesome with vsync and mods and all that.
Does the game really look that ugly as in those screenshots posted on the last page? That's a pity if so.

1024x576.resizedimage

I played about an hour last night. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time it was worth it to avoid all preview surrounding this game. That soundtrack so good.

Moofers

I haven't played a Saints Row game since SR1 but I really want to play this. I have SR3 free on PS+ so should I play that first or can I skip it and get right in on SR4? I worry I'll not get half the jokes or story stuff. Thoughts?

Double D

I haven't played a Saints Row game since SR1 but I really want to play this. I have SR3 free on PS+ so should I play that first or can I skip it and get right in on SR4? I worry I'll not get half the jokes or story stuff. Thoughts?

I would play 3 first. It's a great game on it's own, you have it for free, and there are nods to the game in 4.

sephi22

Quick tip: Because of the pitch selection in voices now, you can now have 7 personalities for your character by giving the females a high pitch male voice or the males a low pitched female voice.

I've given my guy a -40 pitched Female 2 voice. My president is a french african sexually ambiguous president who talks about using stripper poles to sculpt a tight ass. Amazing.

This game is incredible. I've been a fan of the Saints Row series since I first played the SR1 demo all those years ago, and this is perhaps one of the best games of all time.

I've played 17 hours and I haven't had a single glitch (other than the intentional, and amazing, ones). It isn't the prettiest game, but it looks pretty good on PC. I believe I still have 12 or 13 regular missions left and 1 loyalty mission, but other than that, all side quests are done, and I only have about 400 more clusters to collect. I believe I am at around 81%.

Usually, when a game in one of my favorite series comes out, I rush through it in one afternoon (if it is short enough) to see the story, and ignore any optional content. However, with this, I just can't help but do every little thing, as there is literally not a single thing that isn't fun (okay, except for TK Mayhem, which probably should have been left out).

As Pierce and Genki would say: "Super excellent!"

tw1164

I played a few hours last night and really like it. LOL, I didn't understand the Aerosmith reference until this morning. Also, the toilet really kicked my ass.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I'm really digging the game so far (got it on PS3 since that's the platform my sister plays on). It's not a step towards 2 but it's still crazy fun. My main gripe with it at the moment is I have the digital version and she has the physical so we can't play together. Thanks Volition!

Mesoian

Updated my Nvidia drivers last night. My proformance issues are GONE. Granted, they were never big to begin with, but it would drop to 45-60 fps while in heavy traffic areas or when flying through various areas very quickly. But with the new drivers, I haven't dropped below 55 a single time.

So I played until 3 in the morning again, and now I feel dead.

Quick tip: Because of the pitch selection in voices now, you can now have 7 personalities for your character by giving the females a high pitch male voice or the males a low pitched female voice.

I've given my guy a -40 pitched Female 2 voice. My president is a french african sexually ambiguous president who talks about using stripper poles to sculpt a tight ass. Amazing.

The pitch shifter isn't...amazing. I currently have a +20 pitch shifted French female and it sounds like every other word she says has some sort of like...digital crackle, which makes her sound like it's being played through a casio keyboard rather than actually shifting the pitch of her voice up. It's a little strange. What was even more strange was how much I missed it when I downloaded my SR3 character

Carcetti

Is there eventually an upgrade so that I don't have to charge my jumps?

The Crackdown super-jumping experience felt smoother than this...

You can charge them in advance when gliding/jumping so just release the jump button the moment you land. I'm enjoying the supermoving a lot more than I did in Crackdown.

Amazing, didn't realize this earlier but I can now be female Nolan North. He's finally taken over completely.

Mononoke

Banned
The game definitely has a lot of bugs. In the opening mission during the Cyrus fight he completely disappeared and it looked like my character was fighting nothing. None the less I'm having an absolute blast and have barely played any actual missions.

I'm only 10 hours in, and haven't found too many bugs. Or maybe I haven't been noticing them. But I finally found my first bug, and it had to do with flying. I was flying and got hit as I was taking off, so my character was stuck in this stiff falling animation (basically I was floating), I had to keep running into cars until one knocked me into the animation of being hit by a car.

I see a lot of strange things with the textures in game. Almost like rain is running down walls/surfaces for a quick second. The effect almost looks intentional but I'm not sure.

PC btw.

Mesoian

So I figured out Insurance Fraud last night, and now it's boring for reasons on the other end of the spectrum. Before, I found that it was annoying because there didn't seem to be a good way to move efficiently between objects to pull out the maximum amount of money per slam. Now with the hyper speed and adrenaline, I can turn my body into, essentially, a car and just roll down the street, bumping cars here and there to rack up my score. I ended up getting 1.5 million in one instance pretty easily and only broke it because I was getting bored.

So I still think insurance fraud is a pretty weak event.

I see a lot of strange things with the textures in game. Almost like rain is running down walls/surfaces for a quick second. The effect almost looks intentional but I'm not sure.

PC btw.

That's intentional.

Definitely one of the most fun games I've played this year.
This. Playing on ps3 and no problems, everything is looking good to me plus the load times are amazing.

Waltzing around killing zin and I hear my player yell out "I am the one who knocks!", I had a big ass grin on my face lol

AkuMifune

Banned
Updated my Nvidia drivers last night. My proformance issues are GONE. Granted, they were never big to begin with, but it would drop to 45-60 fps while in heavy traffic areas or when flying through various areas very quickly. But with the new drivers, I haven't dropped below 55 a single time.

So I played until 3 in the morning again, and now I feel dead.

I probably need to update my drivers, but I've had no noticeable issues (ultra on 660ti).

I was up til 3 too. On my 3rd coffee. Nolan North's throwing up effect was hilarious.

I should probably also start playing this co-op, but it's just been so engrossing I haven't cared yet. And I have like 3 Steam friends. Is there a GAF Steam group for this? Maybe I'll start randomly adding you guys.

I'm only 10 hours in, and haven't found too many bugs. Or maybe I haven't been noticing them. But I finally found my first bug, and it had to do with flying. I was flying and got hit as I was taking off, so my character was stuck in this stiff falling animation (basically I was floating), I had to keep running into cars until one knocked me into the animation of being hit by a car.
I had a lock up while trying to customize the Gatmobile lol. Had to ctrl-alt-del.

Don't ask why I was customizing a car.

What's the fastest way to create new characters? I just want to make a bunch of people, but don't want to sit through the introduction every time.

Could I just do plastic surgery on my existing character and make a new save file for it?

Mesoian

I probably need to update my drivers, but I've had no noticeable issues (ultra on 660ti).

I was up til 3 too. On my 3rd coffee. Nolan North's throwing up effect was hilarious.

I should probably also start playing this co-op, but it's just been so engrossing I haven't cared yet. And I have like 3 Steam friends. Is there a GAF Steam group for this? Maybe I'll start randomly adding you guys.

Yeah, if you wanna do coop, my steam id is Mesoian.

I was bummed out when I found a co-op mission last night and couldn't do it.

What's the fastest way to create new characters? I just want to make a bunch of people, but don't want to sit through the introduction every time.

Could I just do plastic surgery on my existing character and make a new save file for it?

Inauguration station, upload.

Saint's Row 4, download.

Inauguration station, upload.

Saint's Row 4, download.

But wouldn't I still have to go through that intro for each character?

I don't necessarily want to start from scratch...I guess what I'm really asking is if plastic surgery allows me to change everything about a character, everything that is included in the initial creation.

Amazon UK still haven't shipped. Have a feeling I shall be writing an angry email Friday evening.

I don't necessarily want to start from scratch...I guess what I'm really asking is if plastic surgery allows me to change everything about a character, everything that is included in the initial creation.

Yep, did in SR3. Everything from voice to appearance.

TxdoHawk

hold down the button that pulls up your weapon wheel (i think it's b on the 360 controller) then change the station with the bumpers.

Thank you!

It's intentional. You'll notice it only happens in the simulation, there's lots of little "digital glitches".

Unrelated: The custom weapon skins are neat, even if they are mostly just cosmetic. I was delighted to find out that at least some of the different dubstep gun skins play different songs, though (haven't tried them all).

Quick

Banned
So, I'm having a blast just messing around in this game. I started at around midnight, and the next thing you know, it's 3 AM.

Seriously, air jumping and speed running is awesome. Is it possible to be able to fly eventually?

Mesoian

Oh. Yes it does.

Quickest way I'd assume would be:

-Load new game
-Play until the first creation point
-Save and quit

That should give you a nice point to start the game with a character that youc an download from SR3,4 or the IS. But if you wanna switch anytime on the fly, yes, plastic surgery lets you change everything at anytime, for 500 bucks.

Saterium

Are the majority of the new powers unlocked from story missions, side missions or the extra missions? I'm pretty early so far but it seems like its from story missions, can anyone confirm?

Trying to figure out how to tackle progression.

TxdoHawk

Are the majority of the new powers unlocked from story missions, side missions or the extra missions? I'm pretty early so far but it seems like its from story missions, can anyone confirm?

Trying to figure out how to tackle progression.

Mainly the story. There's definitely some good rewards tucked into side quests though...as others have mentioned, unlimited sprint is in a sidequest chain early on, and you really, really want that.

Top Bottom