• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

iammeiam

Edit: Nevermind. Google failed me but going back a bit in GAF helped me out. Game of the Generation needs display case lid in order to light up and spin. Not broken!

FluxWaveZ

I CANNOT believe one can't pause cutscenes. It's incredible that, even today, some games don't let the player pause during curscenes.

Dawg

Has anyone figured out how to disable music outside of cars? I enjoy listening to the safety dance and what is love while beating up alien scum, but I like some peace and quiet too.

I CANNOT believe one can't pause cutscenes. It's incredible that, even today, some games don't let the player pause during curscenes.

This should be a forced standard by console manufacturers next gen considering that there is an even greater focus on connectivity between players and the potential to be interrupted mid game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I only played through the first 90 minutes or so, so far I'm having a pretty good time playing the game. You know who really loves playing this game though? Saint's Row 4. That game fucking loves to play this game. I sure wish I could play the same game the game plays sometimes, but the parts I can play are pretty good too.

GamerSoul

Need it on my phone. I like it in small doses. It's a bit easy to do in the square area, but for a phone/pad game they can have traps, and other little gameplay things in it to make it more interesting. Maybe have each lock different. A lock that don't list how many shapes you have to use, as a example maybe.

I like that idea.

I don't want to stop playing lol. Damn those pesky responsibilities.

I'm still getting use to changing abilities mid-air. It feels great messing around with them.

Facism

so is daylight tied to completing a mission or do i have to mod? tired of the just being a mess of reds and browns

ShinMaruku

So far the ps3 version does not seem to be too bad I have not really pushed the game yet due to me not having my powers where they need to be.

As a 40k fan I find it amusing that I based my character off a Dark Eldar and I'm fighting aliens killing them between her legs....

I'm at around 61% completion and am just in love with this game. It's like the best parts of Crackdown and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction throw into the Saints Row universe. My only complaint is that I wish there were a proper day/night cycle. I can't stand that ugly sunset that you start off with. It's changed for me once so far but it's still very unappealing. Can't wait to see what kind of DLC they have in store.

Trigger

so is daylight tied to completing a mission or do i have to mod? tired of the just being a mess of reds and browns

I'm pretty sure that beating the game will give you control of the setting, but it's worth noting that taking control of the city will make things look slightly less red and brown.

Apdiddy

What I've played of SR4 on PC, it's great but part of me actually wished that it wasn't called "Saints Row IV." I'd almost rather have Saints Row IV be on next-gen consoles with a completely new engine. It feels almost like "Saints Row: The Third The Second" to me....it's not completely addictive (like the first hour or so that SR:TT was), but I'm not expecting it to be truly mind blowing. More than likely, it'll get better.

If you're on PC, Idolninja put out a mod that lets you change time of day from the start.

hey, thanks. ill look into that.

yeah, thats what i was saying a little bit higher than you. its so drab.
heres the solution, supposedly. though it can only be implemented before you beat the sixth mission: The Escape.

So as I sit here rotating between my renditions of Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Zatanna, and other superheroes, I've come to the realization that Volition could potentially do something pretty crazy with SR5. Let's get "Option 1" out of the way first: Reboot. In many ways, there's nowhere to go from here if the Saints are to remain a "gang" in the way we've seen thus far. The Boss has become the POTUS. That's it. The Saints have reached their peak. On top of that, they're fighting aliens. There's nothing left in this version of Saints Row. On top of that, the sense of progression is 100% busted outside of immediate factors like player upgrades. Everything outside of that- clothes, property, cars, weapons, businesses- are all nearly immediately accessible or made irrelevant by the superpowers. SR2 had a great sense of progression, SR3 less so, and SRIV, aside from the powers, is gone. Within 5 hours you're a beast, and the game is set up in a way that all the "flashy" upgrades and city ownership doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. This sounds like prime reboot material, which I would be fine with if it meant a return to SR2, but...BUT....what if.....

....What if Volition straight up turned Saints Row into a superhero franchise. I'm not finished with the story yet so I don't know where it goes, but here's my idea: These first 4 Saints games are the origin story. Not only for The Boss turning from a common street thug into a hero, but also the Saints becoming The Avengers, and mutants being created in SR3, and aliens being introduced in SRIV. Add to that the superpowers in SRIV which are a ton of fun, more fun than any weapon or vehicle in the series so far, and Saints Row 5 as a traditional superhero narrative writes itself. Instead of rebooting all the characters, you keep the characters and bump all of them up to superhero status in the real world. Set it in a new city, make new activities revolving around supervillains and stopping crime, bring back gangs but power them up like Infamous 2 and give them all a leader like SR2 and SR3, put random crimes in to the game like Spiderman 2, day/night cycle that affects the kinds of crime happening in the city, "World's Greatest" team ups with your crew, more super duels against enemies that can do what you do, parodies oh God the parodies.

Saints Row: The Age of Ultor. You're welcome, Volition.

Lingitiz

I wouldn't mind them taking the foundations of IV and creating a separate superhero franchise.

They need to add Geomod too. I've been wondering why they haven't leveraged that tech, but with the console versions already rough I'm guessing it just wasn't possible.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Anyway to fix the ingame cinematics running at 30 FPS? This happens no matter what ingame settings I choose and whether VSync is on or off. The game reverts to solid 60 fps otherwise.

I want to get going with the story, but I keep collecting clusters. That passes time so I get my cache of currency. So I buy new upgrades with both. Then I just keep fucking around in the city. Then I level up doing so and the cycle keeps going. Saints Row First World problems.

george_us

Hopefully there is an audio fix soon. It's getting a little annoying.
This entire game is a fucking mess. The audio is horrendous, the powers are janky as fuck,the main story missions are terrible, the graphics feel like a major step back from two, and the story is somehow extremely dull. Overall this has been a huge disappointment compared to SR3 which is one of my favorite open world games this generation.

Ploid 3.0

Remove Superpowers Glow

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/disable-super-power-glow.3345/

So I found this annoying, saw some other people did as well. Looked through the table files and butchered some things until it went away. What I found was within matfx.xtbl, there is an effect named "superpower", I deleted the layer that actually contained a texture such that it's applying nothing whenever the effect is called and shouldn't be too mean to the game's process.

The sprint effect and jumps have a separate glow, but I like these, this just removes the texture applied over the player's body.

Tested it, works.

SSt.jpg

TSt.jpg

USt.jpg

Not finished with the game yet, but I have to say, as someone who was disappointed by SR3, this is a pretty damn good game. Really fun. I'm playing the 360 version, and it runs fine. What little slowdown there has been hasn't thrown me off.

Lint21

Neo Member
Disappointed in a few things so far (77% complete):

- Too much recycled vocal work. I replayed SR3 a couple of weeks ago, and I've been listening to mostly the same clips from the main character during SR4 as then.
- The radio stations are awful for me. If you don't like reggae and dance music, you're pretty much stuck with modern rock or the mix. The song variety is pretty good, but the same songs seem to repeat a ton for me - I'm so sick of Biz Marquee, We Were Promised Jetpacks, and that Aw Shit song. They really need a few more stations.
- The game has crashed a lot for me, and as others have mentioned, the audio mix is all jacked up on PC.

All that aside though, it is a lot of fun. The move toward Crackdown/Prototype gameplay makes sense given the franchise's march toward absurdity. I don't really want another game in this vein though - I kind of hope they do something completely unexpected next time, like a hyper-realistic next-gen SR5.

Holy shit are the loyalty missions hilarious, just finished the one that was taken out of the AUS versions and gotta say, I feel. sorry for the Aussies out there, was an awesome mission and filled in some backstory.

DrBo42

Has anyone made Deckard from Blade Runner yet? Tried to make a Harrison Ford look-a-like in the editor and failed miserably.

just played the game.

blown away by that tutorial. lol

for some reason I never got the itch of collecting orbs in crackdown, but here that's wat all I've been doing so far

LQX

Those that bought there Saints Row from nuuvem which is the correct key to use? There seems to be two.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am so unbelievably frustrated that all the dev could come up with for half the missions is the same terrible "do this side mission and like it" bullshit from the last game. Oh good, do a genki bowl. Oh good, hack something. Oh good clear out the Zin. Oh good run this race. Oh good hack something else. So uninspired.

Ceebs

Just did the Shaundi loyalty mission. Please dear god say that no recharge powers is an unlock at some point. That was insanity.

jediyoshi

Oh wow, didn't realize there was unique dialogue between character homies if you called them in. Time to try out every combination now

Top Bottom