• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Asha Rescue Mission:
I just busted out laughing at Troy Baker's delivery of "That light has a family."
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of this gen and it's pretty awesome how this does a parody of the "gather crew and do loyalty missions" structure.

So I've beat it with the Nolan North voice (incredible, BTW), and I think I'll do a SR series marathon with Kenn Michael's voice (Default Male Voice in SR2, and I believe Male Voice 2 in SR3 and 4). He is the only one who has consistently voice acted the Boss since he started talking in SR2. It should add a little more seriousness to the character, because Nolan North was just so crazy (which was totally awesome though!).

Jrmint

Has there been any patch or statement from Volition about console performance?

I'd really like to play this but don't want to on the PC.

Mononoke

Banned
Just got a patch on Steam. Was only 8mb, and the notes said:

[Patch Notes:]

-----------------------------------

[BUGS]
- Fixed an error where Saints Row IV was referred to as “Saints Row Inauguration Station”.

[UPDATES]
- Adjusted a sequence in THE REAL WORLD mission to assist players who are running the game below minimum spec with low framerate.

am i the only one that get random keyboard prompts when playing with a controller?

its annoying during QTE's where i have to guess what 'E' is on the 360 pad.

Just got dispatch confirmation from Amazon and I can't wait to play this after work tomorrow. I got it for £30 too which seems like a pretty good price for a new PS3 game

dubq

So I've beat it with the Nolan North voice (incredible, BTW), and I think I'll do a SR series marathon with Kenn Michael's voice (Default Male Voice in SR2, and I believe Male Voice 2 in SR3 and 4). He is the only one who has consistently voice acted the Boss since he started talking in SR2. It should add a little more seriousness to the character, because Nolan North was just so crazy (which was totally awesome though!).

I always use the British voice.. but I may try out the NN voice for a second playthrough.

Running around and collecting orbs is as awesome as I remember the good parts of Crackdown being, but having every side mission that's not a loyalty mission be an amalgamation of various side activities, EDIT: some of which don't involve powers, is kind of depressing. Loyalty missions and Main quests have been much better this time around, though. 55% and running around jumping for orbs hasn't gotten dull yet.

They're at least introducing the new side events well rather than just signing them off as main quests a la SR3, (i.e. aligning their intro with new powers and such), but it's the same core problem that SR3 had, with repetition of the same tasks 6/9 times, and speaking for myself, I don't quite understand why you have to do Tank Mayhem 3 times if my high score the first time around was high enough to qualify for Gold on the hard difficulty.

It also seems like some of SR3's bugs via suddenly empty streets and such have made a reappearance as well. Have also had 3 hard locks on 360, one of which set me back 2 main missions, My fault for not saving, which is now fixed by me saving after every side/main mission, lol.

Still, overall a waaaay better experience than SR3 thus far.

Basically all of this, except I'm on PS3 and haven't had any bugs so far.

Side mission wise, it's been a bummer with the activities, but it makes a lot more sense than shitting up the main missions with them. It's actually not bad provided you haven't been doing any activities on the side, which I'm going to stop doing until I'm done with the quests. Having really useful rewards and seeing what they are before doing the side quests though is really great.

What's interesting to me is how they've basically taken some of the things that were weak about SR3 and rather than throwing them out, they've found a way to repurpose them. I actually enjoyed cruising around Steelport just causing mayhem in 3, but the city really was just wallpaper. Now in this, you get really fun traversal that just treats the city like what it is - a wallpapered obstacle course. Sticking the items you need to upgrade your superpowers at the top of buildings or in targets you have to blast really creates a nice, logical flow to everything.

The main missions have been everywhere between decent and utterly inspired, overall though I'm just glad they've continued to embrace and enhance the wild variety they had in 3.

Asha Rescue Mission:
I just busted out laughing at Troy Baker's delivery of "That light has a family."
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of this gen and it's pretty awesome how this does a parody of the "gather crew and do loyalty missions" structure.

Loved this mission, did you fail the mission at any point? I did when
I killed a guard before I shot the light, Asha Screams "Boss?! BOSS?! BOSSSSSSSSS?!"
I was dying :D

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
am i the only one that get random keyboard prompts when playing with a controller?

What? The only prompts I get while playing with a 360 gamepad are related to the controller, not the keyboard. Are you using the keyboard during your gameplay or anything?

ace22b

Happens to me too, pretty randomly. Maybe it's because my mouse moved 1pixel when controller was vibrating or some such.

Ploid 3.0

About random keyboard prompts, make sure nothing is touching your mouse or keyboard. It changes between whatever you are using real time. Not saying that's it but just check.

Guesong

Well, just finished it.

Have to say that all in all, I'm pretty disappointed. Presentation is sorely lacking (give me back some cutscenes instead of pre-rendered videos showing you to destroy X), the "sidequests" except Loyalty Missions are really only padding to force you to do each and all activities...and there is much padding, because compared to previous Saints Row, there's not enough primary stuff to do.

All in all the superpowers are fun, but the game really shows that it was originally an expansion pack DLC. I feel like it should have stayed that way instead of trying to pad it enough to make a "new entry" in the series, cause this felt really bland once you get past the superpowers.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyhow.

Well, just finished it.

Have to say that all in all, I'm pretty disappointed. Presentation is sorely lacking (give me back some cutscenes instead of pre-rendered videos showing you to destroy X), the "sidequests" except Loyalty Missions are really only padding to force you to do each and all activities...and there is much padding, because compared to previous Saints Row, there's not enough primary stuff to do.

All in all the superpowers are fun, but the game really shows that it was originally an expansion pack DLC. I feel like it should have stayed that way instead of trying to pad it enough to make a "new entry" in the series, cause this felt really bland once you get past the superpowers.

This is my only major complaint. I do feel like there is more dialogue in the missions than in previous SR games, but there is a serious lack of true cutscenes.

I didn't actually remember that Keith David did the voice for Julius in the previous Saints Row game, but the constant jokes about it never fail to crack me up.

After the Keith David betrayal, I think my character said "You're just like Julius." It was played so seriously that it was incredibly funny.

About random keyboard prompts, make sure nothing is touching your mouse or keyboard. It changes between whatever you are using real time. Not saying that's it but just check.

Yeah, it goes back to keyboard icons whenever I take a Steam Screenshot because I have to touch a keyboard key to do that.
Just touching a button on the controller will fix it.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, just finished it.

Not anywhere close to finishing the game (only 40% in). But I really feel like the missions and collecting items are really repetitive and lacking depth. In some ways it's worse than SR3 so far. Just started doing the bulk of the loyalty missions, and yeah those are fantastic.

But on the whole, I feel like this is another step back for the series I used to love. The only saving grace to this, is that it's an open sand box world with freakin' super powers. I get kicks out of just exploring and messing around the world with these. Just like SR3 though, it still feels like the city is a shell (it's still lacking variety with regards to places to go, especially buildings and shops). And with the alien invasion/simulation, it kind of makes the entire city feel 100% the same (SR2 at least had different sections of the city, and the various gangs kind of spiced things up). It just felt more like a fleshed out city.

I think this game is a lot of fun, and the super powers really adds to that enjoyment. But I still can't help but feel disconnected from the game.

smr00

Banned
I have probably spend 90% of my time collecting the shards or whatever and doing side missions and having an absolute blast. Pretty sure i won't even finish or start the main stuff for another day or 2 because i am having so much fun.

Wasn't the biggest SR3 fan but i can't put this down. The music is also on point, it's fucking great. Although, they could of picked a better
Macklemore song. Gold is alright but Castle would of fit in better

Note: The spoiler is the title of a song that is in the game, it doesn't spoil anything and from i can tell it's not a mission related song (like Power from SR3) But, i know people want to discover all the music themselves so i wrapped a tag around it.

I have probably spend 90% of my time collecting the shards or whatever and doing side missions and having an absolute blast. Pretty sure i won't even finish or start the main stuff for another day or 2 because i am having so much fun.

Wasn't the biggest SR3 fan but i can't put this down. The music is also on point, it's fucking great. Although, they could of picked a better
Macklemore song. Gold is alright but Castle would of fit in better

Note: The spoiler is the title of a song that is in the game, it doesn't spoil anything and from i can tell it's not a mission related song (like Power from SR3) But, i know people want to discover all the music themselves so i wrapped a tag around it.

Would have preferred Thrift Shop myself.

smr00

Banned
Would have preferred Thrift Shop myself.
If that song wasn't completely ran into the ground i would agree.

Still, i think the other song would of fit this game much, much better. There a few scenes in what little story i have played so far where the song would of fit perfectly.

I am so unbelievably frustrated that all the dev could come up with for half the missions is the same terrible "do this side mission and like it" bullshit from the last game. Oh good, do a genki bowl. Oh good, hack something. Oh good clear out the Zin. Oh good run this race. Oh good hack something else. So uninspired.

I never really played SRIII in depth so I can't speak for the missions being the same from the last game. But, as opposed to what as side missions? I think they are pretty fun and varied.

jediyoshi

Game just froze during the final battle. FML.

I hope I don't have to repeat the last fucking hour . . .

When you quit out of a mission from the pause menu, you'll be given the option to restart from checkpoint. The missions checkpoints have been pretty generous from what I've seen. Had to force them a few times from scripts breaking x_x

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The game's frozen during Image As Designed(ie I can rotate the camera but do nothing else) 6 times already. It's kind of ridiculous.

I've also had it do a similar thing in the Mission Complete screen.

foladar

Yeah three freezes for me and the side missions simply being activities was kinda meh. overall enjoyable but feels rushed or dlc worthy like it should have been.

Ceebs

Just did the
Rescue Johnny mission

So how much more do I have left of the main story missions?

I love how that one mission managed to cram the finales of BOTH Ghostbuster movies into a single mission.

Caladrius

Just did the
Rescue Johnny mission

So how much more do I have left of the main story missions?

I love how that one mission managed to cram the finales of BOTH Ghostbuster movies into a single mission.

You've got about 7 or so story missions left.

I've had 2-3 scripting errors so far. In the
Shaundi Rescue mission
There's a boss that is supposed to multiply when you kill them, but I killed him before that activated or something, so I was just stuck.

Another time Kinzie was supposed to open a door or something but got frozen in animation on the way there. Thankfully I just had to melee her and she started moving again, haha.

Reule

I'm having an absolute blast with the game. I actually enjoy it a bit more than The Third. I think the powers really make it a blast. It's been really fun going from gangster boss to celebrity to superhero president. I'll say this though, I wish there were more clothing options in the game. For the most part if feels like The Third with all it's DLC plus a bit more. Kind of disappointing in that department but it's alright.

As for technical issues...girlfriend and I both have had two freezes each on the PS3 version. First one for me was during a Mayhem and the other was when a mission wasn't progressing. When I tried to quit out of the mission, it froze. She on the other hand had two freezes with the same Mayhem mission. We're hoping it won't happen a third time. :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like my lady
6A85CDB9ABB7491C56445C8D7F073769198E3F05

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It'd be nice to have the missions available to redo after you finish the game (haven't yet). Just to hear other Boss voices.

That Mission to get back
Johnny Gat
is the Thing of Dreams. Really want to retry that
to see how other clothes/gear/nudity look in 2D :lol

Fuck, wanted to launch the game for the first time as it just unlocked for euopeans and steam give me an error about Saint Row update failing.
Someone has the same problem?
EDIT: lol, I didnt have enough space in the har drive, now it works.
EDIT 2: 2 FUCKING HOURS?! You must be shitting me.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I can't figure out why my game always crashes at
the end of the mission where you save Matt
. Maybe I gotta redownload.

EDIT: Fixed

Top Bottom