• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Teknoman

bigboss370 said:
i just picked up my pre-order. the gamestop people told me THQ never sponsored any preorder bonus for the PC version. does that mean manapult and ocotopus gun are in already?

No because I had to enter a code for it when I bought the digital version from Amazon.

ttocs

madmook said:
Thanks for acknowledging this, that is my exact situation (360 version). Hopefully we'll get new e-mails with the actual codes.

Is this issue only with those ordered from the site or does it entail other retailers too?

My copy (360 version) ought to be waiting at home for me tonight but I probably won't get a chance to dive in until tomorrow. I am SO ready for this.

So which settings impact framerate the most at this point? Played a bit on my q9550 + 5850 rig and in all DX modes, the game ran at sub 30 frames/sec.

Teknoman said:
No because I had to enter a code for it when I bought the digital version from Amazon.

oh shit, did i get duped out of my preorder bonuses? ;_;

OneLetter, can you confirm if Gamestop/Eb Games got preorder codes for the retail PC version?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gully State said:
So which settings impact framerate the most at this point? Played a bit on my q9550 + 5850 rig and in all DX modes, the game ran at sub 30 frames/sec.

I bumped ambient occlusion down to medium (still DX10), and shadows to medium (they still look great). That gave me a significant frame boost, to where the game is pretty much smooth everywhere.

AA at 2x and AS at 8x, everything else max.

This is on a i5 2.66 quad core with a 6850.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bigboss370 said:
oh shit, did i get duped out of my preorder bonuses? ;_;

OneLetter, can you confirm if Gamestop/Eb Games got preorder codes for the retail PC version?
You shouldn't have. Check your receipt if it says preorder pickup or not.

AEREC

Gully State said:

Shadows and Resolution.

I normally play games at 1920x1080 maxxed out on my i7 and GTX 460 (even Skyrim), but I had to drop shadows down to medium and put the resolution at 1600x900 to obtain what feels like a solid 30fps.

zoner said:
You shouldn't have. Check your receipt if it says preorder pickup or not.

well when i picked it up they took my preorder receipt and gave me a new one. my new one does have a presell pickup number. but they told me thq didn't have any preorder bonuses for pc retail.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have to also mention- this game looks really good on PC. All the DX10/11 effects give it a super clean look, and sometimes the lighting is very impressive.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bigboss370 said:
well when i picked it up they took my preorder receipt and gave me a new one. my new one does have a presell pickup number. but they told me thq didn't have any preorder bonuses for pc retail.
Might be true then. I say this because it's printed on the receipt, so they have no control over whether you can or can not get the bonus. Like, they can't 'forget' it when it's a preorder pickup where the code's printed on the receipt.

ttocs

bigboss370 said:

I've had a lot of success with GameStop's email customer support. I once didn't get my Enslaved preorder code and I called up and they sent me a new one within a day. I was really impressed. If you have your pickup receipt, or any receipt that said you bought the game, I would email them (find the email address on gamestop.com somewhere) and provide a picture of the receipt and explain that you didn't get the code. I bet you will get one no problem. And if the code doesn't exist, then no sweat, at least you will have found out.

Fox318 said:
I played 4.4 hours already and I'm enjoying it a lot.

But for some reason I miss Stillwater and the jankness of the old art style. I also miss the drugs and food and some of the old activities from Saints Row 2.

The game is a must buy but also pick up Saints Row 2.

I don't miss the old art style in the least. Stuff in the new game is actually textured, instead of just throwing a tileable texture on objects like in the previous game.

TimmiT

I can normally play games at medium/high settings at 1366x768 and get at least 30fps with my laptop. With this game I have to drop most settings to low to get a decent framerate. :/

Dommel

Game is fun so far and looks ok on foot but once you start driving (on PS3) the jaggies are horrendous, like instantly going back in time to a PS2 game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anyone got any RF easter egg yet?

TimmiT said:
I can normally play games at medium/high settings at 1366x768 and get at least 30fps with my laptop. With this game I have to drop most settings to low to get a decent framerate. :/

What is your system specs ?

ATI cards seem to be having performance issues with the game. It runs really well maxed out for me on a GTX 570 so far. Also, people should be aware that cutscenes seem to be capped at 30fps for some strange reason.

ttocs said:
I've had a lot of success with GameStop's email customer support. I once didn't get my Enslaved preorder code and I called up and they sent me a new one within a day. I was really impressed. If you have your pickup receipt, or any receipt that said you bought the game, I would email them (find the email address on gamestop.com somewhere) and provide a picture of the receipt and explain that you didn't get the code. I bet you will get one no problem. And if the code doesn't exist, then no sweat, at least you will have found out.

hmm, alright. is there a specific location for the manapult in the game though so i can try and find one once my game finishes its stupidly long update?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
CrookedRain said:
ATI cards seem to be having performance issues with the game. It runs really well maxed out for me on a GTX 570 so far. Also, people should be aware that cutscenes seem to be capped at 30fps for some strange reason.

AMD cards have issues with many (if not most) of the games lately.

TimmiT

Totobeni said:
Anyone got any RF easter egg yet?

What is your system specs ?
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GT540M
6GB RAM

As a couple of examples, I can play Battlefield 3 at medium settings and get 30fps and Sonic Generations with high settings at 40-60fps at 720p.

Haven't been seeing the best impressions here - at least not enough to make me drop Skyrim right now. I'll probably wait for a dry spell.

Funny - I was originally thinking of picking up 4 games today (NFS:The Run, AC:R, Halo CE Anniversary and this). It's slowly getting widdled down Halo. Good to save a bit of cash I suppose.

Teknoman

TimmiT said:

Hopefully new drivers hit that improve performance at least a little.

CloakedPuppet said:
Haven't been seeing the best impressions here - at least not enough to make me drop Skyrim right now. I'll probably wait for a dry spell.

Funny - I was originally thinking of picking up 4 games today (NFS:The Run, AC:R, Halo CE Anniversary and this). It's slowly getting widdled down Halo. Good to save a bit of cash I suppose.

Yeah its a really fun game, but if you've already got enough on your plate, just wait. Also Assassins Creed:R and NFS will probably be on sale soon/ around Christmas.

CrookedRain said:

great. :\ This seems to be a reoccurring theme for me this year. I was hoping my ATI 5850 would last me another year (or so)

I already have two crashes when just being in the menus on the PC. Somebody has any clue?

EDIT: Three, think I'm going straight into the game and see what it does. Also gonna try running in DX9.

EDIT2: Weird, with DX9 it doesn't crash for me in the menus. Maybe D3DOverrider has to do something with it.

EDIT3: Even weirder, it now seems to work fine when I booted again in dx10/dx11 mode and one by one enabled the dx10 functions.

Teknoman said:
Yeah its a really fun game, but if you've already got enough on your plate, just wait. Also Assassins Creed:R and NFS will probably be on sale soon/ around Christmas.

Yep. Good point. I always miss out on the Christmas sales (mainly because I already own everything I'm interested in). :D

Great experience with GTX 480 so far, save for the game making my card sound like the vacuum cleaner that it is. That's good though, typically these sorts of games are CPU heavy, and it must be doing something right to offload enough resources to the GPU like that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I dropped the crap out of Skyrim and haven't looked back... But I also have way different sensibilities.

My one complaint is that I'm not that impressed with how any of the clothes in the game look. I was hoping there'd be more than the Initiation Station's stuff, but it looks like, other than let's pretend, it's not

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CloakedPuppet said:

Personal opinion disclaimer of course, but I think this game is a perfect compliment to Skyrim. When you need a break from the massive serious epic fantasy RPG sandbox, this ridiculous urban chaos action sandbox really hits the spot. :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have a $50 Kmart coupon which expires next week, but they don't seem to have a 360 copy of Skyrim. I may very well end up picking this game up, even though I never played any of the previous games in the series? Do you guys think I will be OK jumping right into this one? As some background, I enjoyed GTA3 and adored Vice City, but GTA4 completely bored me. Trying to figure out whether I will enjoy this one. I saw the GT video review and it seemed pretty funny from what I could tell.

CrookedRain said:
Yeah, either the sound mix is off or BF3 has really spoiled me.
The sound is definitely off, I thought I was the only one with that problem, i heard the console version and it sounds way better.

Dead

well not really...yet
I am part of the problem

I just bought the Shark Attack DLC pack

160 MSP for a Shark hat and a gun

And it was worth EVERY SPACE BUCK

HOLY FUCK ITS A LAND SHARK!!!!!

Enjoying the game a lot so far but the performance on my comp isn't at its best. It doesn't help that the latest amd drivers crash during installation. Major bummer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
the latest AMD 11.11 WHQL drivers are out with a 11.11CAP1

noticed Cap one line adds

Saints Row: The Third – Improves CrossFire performance

hope this helps some users with dual gpu's

Messi

Dead said:
I am part of the problem

I just bought the Shark Attack DLC pack

160 MSP for a Shark hat and a gun

And it was worth EVERY SPACE BUCK