• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Bread

Banned
One thing that bugs me about this game is the AI motorcycle physics. I can drive into them full speed and they'll stay on the bike as it soars through the air.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. So blown away by this game. The graphics, the gameplay, the polish, the voice acting, EVERYTHING IS SO AWESOME.

This is what GTA IV should've been. In the first hour alone I've had more fun than I EVER had with GTA IV, Chinatown Wars, or Liberty City Stories.

Amazing game. Volition has done it again.

spidye

BoobPhysics101 said:
Holy. Fucking. Shit. So blown away by this game. The graphics, the gameplay, the polish, the voice acting, EVERYTHING IS SO AWESOME.

This is what GTA IV should've been. In the first hour alone I've had more fun than I EVER had with GTA IV, Chinatown Wars, or Liberty City Stories.

The perfect Dark said:
I can live with the ugly look of this game but the water...wtf is that? Did they played too much Ps2 during development? ^^

lol. so, whom should I listen to.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bread said:
One thing that bugs me about this game is the AI motorcycle physics. I can drive into them full speed and they'll stay on the bike as it soars through the air.
I've seen them fly off the bikes before - might be the angle you hit them as well?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So...is there any Red Faction easter eggs?

BoobPhysics101 said:

This made my waiting for Friday even harder. :(

Loving the game so far, but I don't think I'll truly be satisfied until there's some kind of giant robot to rampage through the city with.

The question is who will get to it first- Volition or the modders?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
IlliterateBookworm said:
Loving the game so far, but I don't think I'll truly be satisfied until there's some kind of giant robot to rampage through the city with.

The question is who will get to it first- Volition or the modders?

Red Faction Guerrilla's Walkers in the game will be pretty crazy, well lets hope Volition do it in one of their dlcs.

ghibli99

Posted already? PS3 Online Pass holders get SR2 for free. :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...saints-row-the-third-owners-on-playstation-3/

At long last, THQ and our friends at PlayStation are proud to unveil additional content for Saints Row: The Third owners on PS3. For all players that purchase Saints Row: The Third on PlayStation 3 and redeem their online pass codes within the next 90 days, they will receive a digital copy of Saints Row 2 (a $19.99 value)… absolutely free!

Go back to a simpler time, when the Saints were vying for control of Stilwater, before they were global icons, a household name, and a criminal empire. Before Professor Genki and the Syndicate, there were the Westside Rollers and the Brotherhood. Enjoy classic Saints Row activities like Septic Avenger, where you spray new homes with sewage in order to devalue property. And of course, enjoy a number of DLC packs brought to you by Volition’s favorite Saints Row 2 producer, Tera Patrick.

Saints Row 2 will be available for free starting early next week for all players who redeem their online pass in each new copy of Saints Row: The Third. The offer expires at midnight on February 13, 2012, so be sure to redeem your online pass before then. And for those of you who have already done so, keep an eye out early next week for the content. This offer applies to the United States, Canada, and Mexico only.

We hope you are as excited about this offer as we are!

seems like no one is playing this game online on ps3 or I'm doing something wrong. Tried it 7 times and I always got connected to the same guy who uses cheats all the time.

Marleyman

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:

The first hour made me cringe and want to go back to Skyrim.

Xevren

Protip, try and carry grenades when starting out. If you run into Professor Genki it helps a lot, and if you kill him it's sooooooo worth it.

MMaRsu

The perfect Dark said:
seems like no one is playing this game online on ps3 or I'm doing something wrong. Tried it 7 times and I always got connected to the same guy who uses cheats all the time.
Thats so weird cause ive played with more than 8 ppl

d0c_zaius

BoobPhysics101 said:

The game is good but not that good. I still prefer Rockstar's open world games compared to Saints Row... But in the end it's a preference thing.

MMaRsu

Id love some explanation from V employees why all the customization was removed from this game. Even less clothing options than sr2? Shit is fucking emberassing. Really.. Where are my awesome walk and fight options? Planning to sell as dlc?

saunderez

MMaRsu said:
Id love some explanation from V employees why all the customization was removed from this game. Even less clothing options than sr2? Shit is fucking emberassing. Really.. Where are my awesome walk and fight options? Planning to sell as dlc?
Indeed. In a lot of ways the game is a bit of a step backwards from Saints Row 2. Feels like there is less variety in vehicles, less customisation, less activities. I'm all for cutting the filler out of the game but it feels light at times. Have been having a heap of fun and almost 70% of the way through so I guess I can't really complain.

Dead

well not really...yet
MMaRsu said:
Yeah, the lack of clothing, crib upgrades, and simple stuff in general is kinda irksome. I dont understand why the game is lacking stuff like that.

Derrick01

Banned
zoner said:
MarleyMan has to defend GTA in every single Saint's Row thread

I agree with him and I hate GTA 4. My problem with this before 3 was that it was always a poor substitute for GTA and since GTA stopped being GTA they hyped up 3 to be like a natural evolution of San Andreas when in reality it's still the same red headed step child series that just can't step up to the plate.

Amagon

So I've been playing this game til dawn this morning. Really liking it, love doing the side missions espcially, Assassination. But I have a couple nitpicks with this game I have at the moment

-The voice acting is a hit or miss. Like I said before, the new Cockney voice is terribad, why couldn't you guys hire the dude from SR2? Hulk Hogan voicing Angel de la Muerte is off too. Dude is suppose to be talking Spanish not Hulk Hogan lol. (Hogan still kicks ass though, don't get me wrong.) Not much of a fan of Shaundi's new VA either but I do like the voice actors that did Zimos, Oleg, Loren, Kenzie, the Male 1 voice and so on.

-Driving controls is fun and all, especially when you're on the bike! But I actually prefer the driving mechanics from GTA4 than this.

-Soo not a fan of Day 1 DLC weapons and you have to buy cheat codes later on and the fact their was limited clothing options compare to SR2 which probably was cut for DLC too is sad.

Other than that, game is a blast and pretty much will consume my life til I beat it.

Gully State said:
The game is good but not that good. I still prefer Rockstar's open world games compared to Saints Row... But in the end it's a preference thing.

Sorry, I actually like GTA-style games that are FUN.

GTA IV was not fun, it was tedious and boring. Saint's Row 2 & 3 are excellent and build off of the amazing foundation that San Andreas set.

george_us

Dead said:
Yeah, the lack of clothing, crib upgrades, and simple stuff in general is kinda irksome. I dont understand why the game is lacking stuff like that.
Making all of those assets takes a lot of time I reckon. They probably would of had to delay the game again.

Bebpo

Banned
Is the game still worth picking up on PC if you missed the pre-order Professor Genki mission pack? Sucks, knowing I'd be playing an incomplete game, so not sure if I want it anymore without that.

ghibli99

Bebpo said:
Is the game still worth picking up on PC if you missed the pre-order Professor Genki mission pack? Sucks, knowing I'd be playing an incomplete game, so not sure if I want it anymore without that.
The missions are in there for everyone... you'll just miss out on some items like the manapult and octopus gun. Good stuff, but not vital.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
The missions are part of the game.

The only things in the pre-order pack are the Gun + Car + Suit

Eusis

Bebpo said:
PC download is still $40 on Amazon, and honestly I was kind of let down by the man-a-pult, and while the octopus gun is neat most enemies just end up grabbing whoever you used it on for cover anyway. There's still the Genki suit, but unless none of the character customization appeals to you more than that it's probably going to be left in the closet anyway.

... Yeah, I ended up re-preordering after canning Batman. Enjoying it quite a bit so far!

Ploid 3.0

I don't use the genki stuff, though I guess there's a good tactical strategy in using the mind control gun to soften up the enemies. Haven't been doing missions so it could be very useful in time. Cannon car is ok, I'd rather have that shark gun.

Less custom options in SR3)
Yeah there is less clothes and I liked that about SR2. When Volition go to next gen they should build a engine and style and stick to it so they can reuse previous assets. It seems like they almost had to start from scratch in this game. The cars and car upgrades look the same though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ploid 3.0 said:
I don't use the genki stuff, though I guess there's a good tactical strategy in using the mind control gun to soften up the enemies.
I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I'd suspect the mind control gun would really be helpful against the harder enemies (assuming it works on them), i.e. the big bruiser guy, the grenade launcher dude, the spazzy roller skate chicks, etc.

MYeager

MMaRsu said:

Ditto. As a huge fan of Saint's Row 2, there just seems to be less of this game. The city lacks the variety, and there's just less of everything. Also, pedestrians were able to hold hands and stuff in the last one, what happened to that? Doesn't feel more over the top than the second either.

ctrayne

I guess I'm just having a lot of fun and don't get a lot of the complaints. It's fun, it's fast, it's fluid, it runs like a dream on my PC and there's a lot of humor packed into the game. It's exactly what I asked for.

Edit: Also, my wife thinks it's hilarious and is enjoying the plot, as am I, so that's a win.

ghibli99 said:
The missions are in there for everyone... you'll just miss out on some items like the manapult and octopus gun. Good stuff, but not vital.
What the...this is missing, too? Giant bomb showed those things in their quicklook, didn't they?

In my opinion all the "craziness" from the trailers is brought by the dlc and not the game itself.
Yeah we have a dildo but that's it.

btw: finished 49 % so I hope it gets better and there are some great unlockables.

Uriah

MYeager said:
Ditto. As a huge fan of Saint's Row 2, there just seems to be less of this game. The city lacks the variety, and there's just less of everything. Also, pedestrians were able to hold hands and stuff in the last one, what happened to that? Doesn't feel more over the top than the second either.

I have a feeling it's all coming as DLC.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, but what a dildo it is

Standing on the side of the road while repeatedly bashing downed bystanders with a giant dildo while tyler the creator is playing out of the car sitting right next to you is pretty amazing

jediyoshi

The perfect Dark said:
In my opinion all the "craziness" from the trailers is brought by the dlc and not the game itself.
Did you only just see the Genki trailers, then? A majority of the rest of the trailers don't mention either item.

Eusis

The perfect Dark said:
Yeah we have a dildo but that's it.
I haven't watched all the trailers, but the Airplane mission near the start of the game definitely ISN'T DLC stuff, and neither are a good chunk of the things in the Cherished Memories videos.

By the way: The Genki pack is registered as "Funtime pack" in Steam, so I'd count on it being sold separately eventually. At least on Steam missing that isn't a big deal because eventually there'll be some crazy sale with all the DLC at $5 or something.

Top Bottom