• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Isomac

I couldn't help it. I bought the season pass.. at least I got some new car and bike unlocked to my garage now. Looks pretty cool.

E6DA4E0ACAFE828F3F4D77345E4A119B2D42C3DD

Couple more screenshots I took yesterday: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IsoMac/screenshots/?tab=public&showdate=1&filter=app_55230

Very fun game so far. I like how you can upgrade weapons/cars a bit. GPS system is really well done too with those arrows showing where to go. No need to look minimap all the time. Also the game runs better than SR2 :)

ttocs

Isomac said:
I couldn't help it. I bought the season pass.. at least I got some new car and bike unlocked to my garage now. Looks pretty cool.

Couple more screenshots I took yesterday: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IsoMac/...lter=app_55230

Very fun game so far. I like how you can upgrade weapons/cars a bit. GPS system is really well done too with those arrows showing where to go. No need to look minimap all the time. Also the game runs better than SR2 :)

I was thinking about getting the pass but I might just buy it separately if I'm still playing it then. But I agree. Great game so far. Hope it's long enough though. After one night of play I'm already at 20 mission complete. I guess that's just because it's early stuff.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone in the UK order from GAME? Usually they're pretty good about sending games out early, but not had mine sent yet.

Erudite

FuttBuck said:
So what's the consensus on the PC version? Run good? Any issues? Poorly optimized?

PC Specs:

Phenom II x4 3 gigz
8gb DDR3 1600
GTX 570
It's a well done port, you'll max it out no problem

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody heard anything about a fix for AMD users? I'm getting shit performance and, by the look of things on the steam forums and the official forums, looks like I'm not the only one.

I'm running on a i5 2400 with 8 gigs of ram and a Radeon 6870. It's not a beast of a computer but still, the only way the game is somewhat playable right now is if I run it on medium in DX9... And even with that I barely get 50fps tops (and the game is fugly).

For reference:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232730

http://saintsrow.com/community/go/thread/view/136781/28686813/Terrible_framerate_while_driving_on_high-end_system_o.o?pg=1

FoxSpirit

Loudninja said:
Is the driving and shooting better than SR2?
Hmm, I dunno about the shooting but driving is awesome. Has a real Arcade racer feel to it with great drifting mechanics.
Or the
Attrazione
, which is super light and fast and drives more like a F1 car. Nifty.
Oh yeah, ran like butter on my friends PC in 1080p on Ultra. Super clean vysnced 60fps. Looks fantastic, such a massive upgrade over SR2.

And for anyone on the fence, this game is crazy. Like seriously really. *sigh* So dreamy.

stuminus3

Isomac said:
GPS system is really well done too with those arrows showing where to go.
This is possibly my favorite new thing in SR3. It's especially good because in Saints Row games you unlock new GPS routes just by exploring. It keeps me on track without having to look at ugly breadcrumb trails or giant floating arrows like in other games. Down with minimaps!

ttocs

stuminus3 said:
This is possibly my favorite new thing in SR3. It's especially good because in Saints Row games you unlock new GPS routes just by exploring. It keeps me on track without having to look at ugly breadcrumb trails or giant floating arrows like in other games. Down with minimaps!
My thoughts exactly. It's really helpful without being too overbearing. Sometimes you don't even realize they are there, you just kind of go with it.

FuttBuck said:
So what's the consensus on the PC version? Run good? Any issues? Poorly optimized?

PC Specs:

Phenom II x4 3 gigz
8gb DDR3 1600
GTX 570
Unless it's a specific issue with 285.62, there's a crazy amount of fade in and as far as I can tell there's no setting for improving it. Somehow has managed to not be detrimental to the gameplay though.

And the password input for community features needs to be fixed. Can't copy paste and can't type in special characters like %. And it doesn't do the auto-login thing.

rhoq

CloakedPuppet said:
So, any verdict on PS3 vs 360 for this one? Earlier rumblings were that PS3 is the better performer.

I picked it up for the PS3 yesterday. Runs silky smooth. No dips in framerate or screen tearing.

kokujin

Banned
Is there a way to turn off DoF, it doesn't seem to work right all time.The controller sensitivity is too low, even on max my vertical aim is sluggish.

UrbanRats

So that Akira-like bike is DLC? And what pack would it be from?
kokujin said:
Is there a way to turn off DoF, it doesn't seem to work right all time.
Don't have the game yet, but i'd check for an ".ini" file in the game directory (if it isn't in the game settings, that is).

I will admit, I am not far into the game at all (damn BF3 and Dungeon Defenders are like crack) but from what Ive played...game is amazing!

My only worries tho..and please tell me if any of this is wrong...

-Less options in clothing? Hopefully the selection gets better, its not like GTA4 with a bunch of stores sellign the same limited amount right? Plus I miss layers..I used to love picking a shirt and vest combo lol

-Cant pick stuff up :(
One of the best stories of SR2 is stealing the register at every store my buddy tried to shop in lol. Plus beating people with objects layign around was EPIC

-Just a lack of options and freedom. Please dont tell me they "GTA'd" the game by ripping a bunch of good stuff out. From what Ive played I havent noticed much yet besides a lack of clothing options and picking stuff up but please be the only changes.

Maddness

Man I fucking love this game. Played from 5pm till almost 1am last night with my friend. We had a blast. Did a few missions, did some side stuff, then basically just screwed around for several hours.

We kept trying to freefall out of planes/helicopters then catch each other, but we haven't been successful yet. Is it even possible? I hope so.

Other than that, just having a great time. We've both enjoyed the first 2 Saint's games and this one is by far the best in the series.

So I don't really have much time for gaming in general. If I have a choice between SP or MP/co-op with friends, I'll pretty much always choose to play with friends.

Is SR3 a genuinely "good" game? It looks like a blast and seems to have that zany openness to it (getting a Just Cause 2 in the city vibe, but crazier), AND it has co-op? Worth it for the co-op alone???

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, any verdict on PS3 vs 360 for this one? Earlier rumblings were that PS3 is the better performer.
Well, I've viewed a LOT of 360 footage and 95% of it was filled to the brim with severe screen tearing. The PS3 version appears to use triple buffering and doesn't tear at all.

I'm guessing the cause of this is the lack of a framerate limiter. The PS3 version is not capped at 30 and, as such, routinely jumps into the 40s and 50s (which, of course, results in some image judder). It's not really consistent at all, but it feels good enough without tearing.

I'd imagine the 360 version renders even faster than the PS3 version at the expense of non-stop tearing. This in-between framerate is likely the reason for the tearing as it probably spends most of its time between 30 and 60.

The 360 version appears to have some of the worst tearing I've seen in recent times, so I could never enjoy that version.

rhoq said:
I picked it up for the PS3 yesterday. Runs silky smooth. No dips in framerate or screen tearing.
There are PLENTY of dips, but it's still decently smooth (ranges between 20 and 60 fps at any random point).

Yaska

Guys, I need help. I just stole meself a tank. So how do I save it to my garage for later use? Should I tune it or?

rhoq

razgriz417 said:
My god this game is amazing. Not the greatest game graphically and I've run into bugs here and there but its just so damn fun.

george_us said:
Not sure why people are so down on this from a graphics stand point. It looks pretty good compared to other games out there, not the best sure, but pretty good. It's miles above Saints Row 2. I'm mostly impressed by just how much better than game plays though. The shooting and hand to hand combat is fantastic and the vehicle controls are WORLDS better than SR2. Game is fucking amazing so far.

Based on the comments that I read earlier in this thread yesterday, I was expecting this game to look much worse. I was pleasantly surprised when the character models didn't look as fugly as GTA IV. Environments aren't as pretty as GTA IV, but then again you can't really compare Saints Row arcade look to GTA IV's more realistic take. I'm loving SR3, so far. It's balls-to-the-wall insanity at it's finest!

dark10x said:
Well, I've viewed a LOT of 360 footage and 95% of it was filled to the brim with severe screen tearing. The PS3 version appears to use triple buffering and doesn't tear at all.

I'm guessing the cause of this is the lack of a framerate limiter. The PS3 version is not capped at 30 and, as such, routinely jumps into the 40s and 50s (which, of course, results in some image judder). It's not really consistent at all, but it feels good enough without tearing.

I'd imagine the 360 version renders even faster than the PS3 version at the expense of non-stop tearing. This in-between framerate is likely the reason for the tearing as it probably spends most of its time between 30 and 60.

The 360 version appears to have some of the worst tearing I've seen in recent times, so I could never enjoy that version.

Blergh.

Has there every been a 360 SR without tearing? It's why I didn't finish the first one...

Dommel

stuminus3 said:

I hate those stupid arrows at every corner I have to take and afaik there's no way to turn them off (PS3) :(

ttocs

Yaska said:
Guys, I need help. I just stole meself a tank. So how do I save it to my garage for later use? Should I tune it or?
Take it to one of your cribs with a garage and store it. Just drive into your garage. And I'm not sure if you can tune a tank. Not sure but I thought it was only cars. Could be wrong though.

Yaska

ttocs said:
Take it to one of your cribs with a garage and store it. Just drive into your garage. And I'm not sure if you can tune a tank. Not sure but I thought it was only cars. Could be wrong though.
can only repair it. And Thanks!

dark10x said:
There are PLENTY of dips, but it's still decently smooth (ranges between 20 and 60 fps at any random point).

It's very smooth and consistent most of the time, it's just not very high. It's hilarious when you go into the Genki show minigame or whatnot and the FPS is suddenly like 50 when it's 25ish out in the city.

The game isn't visually impressive on consoles, but I suppose you could say the city has a nice minimalist vibe. As odd as it sounds, this game gives me a Dreamcast vibe, sort of like if Jet Set Radio and GTA had a mutant hellspawn baby.

Ken

ttocs said:
Can tune bikes too.

Now I wonder if you can tune golf carts.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Blergh.

Has there every been a 360 SR without tearing? It's why I didn't finish the first one...

You can turn V-sync on in the options. The game seems to have more slowdowns with v-sync turned on, but it is nothing game breaking.

Why the hell has my copy been stuck in Fishers, IN since the 11th with no movement!?

/camera pans and flies upward, focusing on person yelling below & waving a fist
USPS!!!

Erudite

Anyone know if there's been any word whether or not DLC will work for the co-op partner if only the host has purchased the DLC?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FoxSpirit said:
Hmm, I dunno about the shooting but driving is awesome. Has a real Arcade racer feel to it with great drifting mechanics.
Or the
Attrazione
, which is super light and fast and drives more like a F1 car. Nifty.
Oh yeah, ran like butter on my friends PC in 1080p on Ultra. Super clean vysnced 60fps. Looks fantastic, such a massive upgrade over SR2.

And for anyone on the fence, this game is crazy. Like seriously really. *sigh* So dreamy.
You're rocking Nvidia, right?

Loving the game, but the limited voice options suck. The new female voice actor is really disappointing, at least in comparison to the previous games. Luckily my character is a drag queen, so it doesn't matter if she talks with a man's voice!

daycru

Have been driving around doing random stuff and time never passes. Has been stuck at night for like over an hour of real time. Getting no cash from my investments. Tried rebooting the 360, same thing.

If you ordered from THQ and had the error regarding codes contact them back. They got back to me in less than 12 hours with the full codes for Genki and Season Pass.

I'm playing it on 360 and on a Samsung C8000. I had screen tearing till I put it in Game Mode. Now it's silky smooth. I am not playing this to be blown away by graphics. I enjoy the lightheartedness of the game. Fun shit

Teknoman

ctrayne said:
I laughed when I saw the name. So many nods everywhere.

I got lucky after loading my save, and saw one riding by. Yoink. I wonder what you can customize on it...

Also the octopus gun has a REALLY big explosion radius. One shot and thats one more territory to scratch off the list.

Dyno

Initial impressions:

Played the first several missions on the PS3 at a buds house. Overall I'm impressed with their game engine. They have made substantial improvements. It's not exceptionally powerful or gorgeous but they made a clean, effective build that played reliable and looked good overall. Congrats Volition. Open world is not easy to do well.

The character generator is good with lots of options. We made a really hot latina with body that makes Laura Croft look boyish. It's ridiculous but I think she really suits the game, voice and all.

Driving and shooting are good, better than I thought they would be. It's really cheap to mod and bling out your car, which I like. You can pimp out anything at all and not worry too much if you don't drive it again.

They made some very interesting missions out of their sandbox of options. Also lots of humour and really good music. Did Skrillex do the soundtrack? Sounds like them. It's perfect for driving.

I'm impressed with the overall substance of the game. The wacky and rude style isn't all Saints Row 3 has going for it. I expect to see a ton of great You Tube vids from this one.

B-Dex

I took an in-game screenshot on PS3 and after it was uploading it it locked up on the photo I took. Could still use XMB to quit though.

Anyone else try taking photos yet on PS3?

Teknoman

DrBo42 said:
I thought he was talking about the red nightblade bike. That's DLC.

Ohhh.

B-Dex said:
I took an in-game screenshot on PS3 and after it was uploading it it locked up on the photo I took. Could still use XMB to quit though.

Anyone else try taking photos yet on PS3?

I think you may have to be logged into community? But then again, that might not have any effect.

DrBo42

Traced-Velocity said:
Anyone know if there's been any word whether or not DLC will work for the co-op partner if only the host has purchased the DLC?
Tried this last night with a GAFer, I would drive the genki canon and as soon as I'd suck up people, they'd instantly fly out without the effects. I had the DLC, he didn't.

Top Bottom