• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

No I saw all trailers but that was definitely my last game from Volition. So much stuff missing from Saints Row 2 (eating, less customization options, much smaller city, no dynamic day/night cycle, 30% of story mode are side activities, best stuff is DLC, ...).
They added a dumb story, Genki and a dildo.
Wow, nice work.

I love the co-cop though.

saunderez

MYeager said:
I really hope not. I have a lot of respect for Volition as a developer, and I would not want to see their games go down that road.
Agreed. I've already purchased the Season Pass (I purchased all SR2 DLC as well) but if the majority of the fun comes from the DLC I'll be passing on the next game and waiting for a GOTY edition.

mxgt

Banned
MYeager said:
I really hope not. I have a lot of respect for Volition as a developer, and I would not want to see their games go down that road.

I'd put the blame on THQ, not Volition

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Finally got it delivered, played for 4 hours or so.

While the potential for awesomeness is there, (i.e. more in-depth rewards from respect/cash), the city feels pretty damn empty. I miss Fuzz and Crowd Control :/

The story missions that don't turn into side missions are amazing, but once you've done the side missions a few times, I dunno, it's just not clicking for me yet like SR2 did. (Disclaimer: things very well may change as I get further in)

The improvements in SR3 are great, but if they could, say, combine SR3's levelling/respect system with SR2's larger mission pool in SR4, that would be GOTF.

edit: Oh yeah, I miss the Boss acting like a Psychopath more often. I've seen one or two instances pop up, but it feels like they gave him/her the anti-hero treatment. Could just be the whole "saints are celebrities" thing at work.

Edit 2: Also, I haven't done Co-op yet, (my buddy hasn't gotten his copy delivered, fool went with 3 day shipping,) so I'm sure there are many more hijinks to be had therein.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fëanor said:
Where do I find the movie I recorded using the movie feature in game?
Supposed to be up on the SR community website, but I think there's an issue right now displaying both screenshots and movies. They should show up once they address it.

nateeasy

Banned
LOL at having the Aqua Teen theme in the game. Im loving this game so far. Havent been able to put it down. Almost done with the main story.

AwRy108

Metroidvania said:
Finally got it delivered, played for 4 hours or so.

While the potential for awesomeness is there, (i.e. more in-depth rewards from respect/cash), the city feels pretty damn empty. I miss Fuzz and Crowd Control :/

The story missions that don't turn into side missions are amazing, but once you've done the side missions a few times, I dunno, it's just not clicking for me yet like SR2 did. (Disclaimer: things very well may change as I get further in)

The improvements in SR3 are great, but if they could, say, combine SR3's levelling/respect system with SR2's larger mission pool in SR4, that would be GOTF.

edit: Oh yeah, I miss the Boss acting like a Psychopath more often. I've seen one or two instances pop up, but it feels like they gave him/her the anti-hero treatment. Could just be the whole "saints are celebrities" thing at work.

Edit 2: Also, I haven't done Co-op yet, (my buddy hasn't gotten his copy delivered, fool went with 3 day shipping,) so I'm sure there are many more hijinks to be had therein.

With Violotion going on record as having a years worth of DLC planned for this game, I would not be surprised if some of the missing side stuff from SR2 gets added to SR3 later.

Erudite

Just finished a 6.5 hour session.

One of the best co-op experiences in recent memory. So happy to see that there's very few restrictions to the campaign experience.

What a great way to relax after having 3 midterms + a lab within the span of 24 hours.

VALIS

MMaRsu said:
Id love some explanation from V employees why all the customization was removed from this game. Even less clothing options than sr2? Shit is fucking emberassing. Really.. Where are my awesome walk and fight options? Planning to sell as dlc?

That's my guess. One of their DLC packs will contain more activities and customizations.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AwRy108 said:
With Violotion going on record as having a years worth of DLC planned for this game, I would not be surprised if some of the missing side stuff from SR2 gets added to SR3 later.

Seeing how Danny Bilson was talking about SR4, I don't see them going over the 3 packs of DLC maybe something like Ultor packs later but nothing more,I think they will save the big improvements for SR4, maybe SR3 to SR3 will be like SR1 and SR2 again ( where they used the same-but upgraded- town and engine and add lot of stuff)

Wooo...my copy finally should be at my house.

canadian crowe said:
I'm more concerned that the seasons pass might not cover every DLC released. Can you download the cheat pack with the season pass?

Thats what i'm worried about too.

I think it says mission packs only?

mxgt

Banned
I hope the non season pass DLC shows up on the UK Steam store because the game still isn't there.

Fucking GAME...

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

Should I start worrying then, because my copy is still in frigging Indiana. Would calling THQ/Volition even help? Any of the Volition guys have an idea? I should have got the download-only version, what's the use of pre-ordering a box when it doesn't even arrive past the release date =(

jediyoshi

The perfect Dark said:
No I saw all trailers but that was definitely my last game from Volition. So much stuff missing from Saints Row 2 (eating, less customization options, much smaller city, no dynamic day/night cycle, 30% of story mode are side activities, best stuff is DLC, ...).
They don't give a percentage for story mode, only completion, as was the case for the last game.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

Thats what i'm worried about too.

I think it says mission packs only?
Ugh, it wont be much of a seasons pass then. THQ has a proper seasons pass system in place for the WWE games that includes every DLC released for the game.

Pimpbaa

Gully State said:
The game is good but not that good. I still prefer Rockstar's open world games compared to Saints Row... But in the end it's a preference thing.

I agree. It's ok, but it feels like a step back from the previous game (in terms of stuff to do). Also, the driving doesn't seemed improved at all. Still feels very fake and toy like.

yellow submarine said:
Should I start worrying then, because my copy is still in frigging Indiana. Would calling THQ/Volition even help? Any of the Volition guys have an idea? I should have got the download-only version, what's the use of pre-ordering a box when it doesn't even arrive past the release date =(

Don't worry..i think it should be there before the weekend.

My tracking went dead for about 3 days and out of nowhere updated all the way to Out for Delivery.

canadian crowe said:
Ugh, it wont be much of a seasons pass then. THQ has a proper seasons pass system in place for the WWE games that includes every DLC released for the game.

I'm worried about this too. Hopefully the season pass covers atleast the cheats too or thats just ridiculous

I really like SR3 so far but I also really miss a lot of the things from SR2. My gripes...

*The streets feel emptier.
*There doesnt seem to be as much variety between pedestrians (no pilots or stewardesses at the airport etc).
*A fixed camera when flying planes (seems totally unnecessary).
*Less variety in street chatter. I wish they had imported all the SR2 lines into SR3, along with the new chatter. "My first day on the job, and I get lost on the way" always made me lol
*Cant pick up random objects (spanners, empty pizza boxes, garbage bags etc) to beat people with and/or lob at them from the other side of the street.
*Pedestrians are too fragile. I shot one guy in the ass ONE time with my (lvl3?) pistol, and he died? One nut punch or toss and the pedestrian dies? That sucks. I wanna be able to assault and annoy pedestrians without the guilt of killing them.

Some stuff has improved. Pedestrians look better. The player character looks better. Combat feels more satisfying (LOVE the spiked baseball bat).
Im really looking forward to implementing the zombie pedestrian cheat too. So much potential there. If they left in the odd pedestrian or gang member to fight zombies too, it could be so good.
I bought SR3 instead of Skyrim, because I loved SR2 so much. I dont regret it, but Im not sure if SR3 is as good as SR2.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I wonder why they decided to take out so much of the customization stuff from SR2. Loved being able to customize my cribs and change my fighting style. If anything at least for the PC version I hope modders are able to add a fuckton of stuff.

VALIS

Pimpbaa said:
I agree. It's ok, but it feels like a step back from the previous game (in terms of stuff to do). Also, the driving doesn't seemed improved at all. Still feels very fake and toy like.

Don't agree at all. Maybe it's different on the console versions, but I was playing SR2 in the last week as a refresher before SR3, and the driving is way better now, as is the aiming. The driving in SR2 was twitch city, now if anything it's almost too tight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
To everyone complaining about how empty the city feels - what parts of town are you in? Because I'm constantly seeing the sidewalks full of various pedestrians. And no day/night cycle? That's still in.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Hearing about the missing stuff makes me kinda glad this is the first SR game I've played. Then again I guess I should be DLing SR2, shouldn't I?

SR2 is pretty awesome, so yeah go for it.

obonicus

XiaNaphryz said:
To everyone complaining about how empty the city feels - what parts of town are you in? Because I'm constantly seeing the sidewalks full of various pedestrians. And no day/night cycle? That's still in.

The game has weird moments when no one's spawning. And others where you'll suddenly see an incredible density of people/cars for no good reason. Very annoying when doing insurance fraud when the former happens.

Also, I think I ran into a bug with the garage. I used the homie: tank delivery and then drove the tank into my garage. After that, my garage wasn't accepting cars anymore. Deleting the tank fixed it. Very odd.

And the mission http://deckers.die is amazing.

Also also: activities are weaker (though since I like the combat, SERC is probably my favorite activity altogether), and customization has some glaring omissions (and I wish there were a 'secret' mall like there was in SR2). That said, I think this is a better game all around -- especially if all you want to do is mess around in the city. I wasn't a huge fan of any of the activities in SR2, I mostly suffered through them so I could get cool upgrades so I could go back to messing around in the city. Having them unlockable is much more straightforward -- just a bit disappointed that it takes so long to get to the infinite ammo unlocks (though I'm level 45 right now, with a little under 30 hours).

WrikaWrek

Banned
This game is amazing.

Volition are god tier right now, scripted sequences are amazing, the action is amazing, the city looks amazing, the visuals are amazing, etc eetc

MYeager

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Don't worry..i think it should be there before the weekend.

My tracking went dead for about 3 days and out of nowhere updated all the way to Out for Delivery.

I'm worried about this too. Hopefully the season pass covers atleast the cheats too or thats just ridiculous

I have the season pass and there's two DLC packs already out that it doesn't cover. The Land Shark DLC and the one that looks like some infinite health/ammo super hero type thing. Both require purchase according to my game, with the Season Pass activated.

MMaRsu said:
Id love some explanation from V employees why all the customization was removed from this game. Even less clothing options than sr2? Shit is fucking emberassing. Really.. Where are my awesome walk and fight options? Planning to sell as dlc?

I'm afraid they skimped on a lot of things to sell later as DLC. There's definitely less options than SR2 not only in the amount of clothing but also they removed the options on how you wear some of them. What's there is pretty good, it just doesn't feel like there's a lot of them.

Fable 3 set the gold stardard for this kind of shit. Selling things that were in Fable 2 in Fable 3 was disgusting. I still can't believe they had the nerve to try and sell black dye to us. Still, at least SR3 is really good when it's good. It just feels like it's lacking a lot of things I loved in SR2.

One step forward and two steps back.

edit: I've played about 5 hours and I'm about 33% done which is kind of sad. I wonder why they removed the amount of activity missions. There's only 6 total at most per activity.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I'm stuck on a mission for Zimos.

I have to kill the abusive pimps and rescue his hos, but after I kill the pimps the hos just stand there and won't get in the car. What do?

obonicus

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
One step forward and two steps back.

The other way around I think, and even then a little harsh. More like two steps forward, a half-shuffle backwards. Most of the core stuff is better, particularly if you didn't like SR2.

edit: I've played about 5 hours and I'm about 33% done which is kind of sad. I wonder why they removed the amount of activity missions. There's only 6 total at most per activity.

There are only 41 missions, and some of those seem to be 'come and check out this activity'. Still, the usual caveats apply for open world games: the story missions will advance the counter a lot more. I played 10 hours today and moved the percentage counter some 8 percent all told. With about 30 hours in, I'm finally running out of stuff to unlock, but I haven't finished the story yet.

vitaminwateryum said:
I'm stuck on a mission for Zimos.

I have to kill the abusive pimps and rescue his hos, but after I kill the pimps the hos just stand there and won't get in the car. What do?

What platform? Use the 'recruit' button (Z by default on PC).

Carm

Quick question. If one of your named Saints dies when you die, and they are greyed out on the phone, is that just a cooldown until they can be used again?

Fox318

Played some more and as much as I love it they dumped so many little things from saint's row 2. Like with a human shield when you killed them in sr2you shot them in a pretty awesome way. Now its the same neck animation.

I still miss throwing and using items as weapons and the food.

Luthair

I'm having a problem, on the Gang Operation just south of Killbanes big factory building (south west) there is a boat there with a Gang Operation. I killed everyone there but it wont count as finished... and what the heck is that giant looking pokemon in the net?!

Ploid 3.0

This game!
3e723089cbbd125d09fe0186b249afcabb279025.jpg

ccfc8375edba9ff963d371974eb3133316c2c6e2.jpg

When it comes down to it, this game is just so much better when you look at the gameplay. The brutes, and the dudes with the different weapons make the battling a lot more diverse and interesting. The fireworks of different colors as I chuck Molotov and flash bangs with a dash of car explosions and bullet trails. Feast for the eyes.

I should probably do some missions, 11 hours on my save file atm and about 5 missions in. Bwahahahaha

Edit: OOh and the Genki gameshow events are so fun. I tend to do them at least 5 times when I start a new one. I hope modders can make up their own courses but it probably won't happen. Genki bowl and the heavy dlc stuff will probably prevent this game from working online if you mod it.

Is it just me or are most of the 'main' missions pretty boring? I've completed 29 of 47 missions, and only about 2-3 were memorable in any way, notably
the BDSM club, and saving the ho's from the boat
. Too many missions are really activities in disguise, and if they are not, they are just shoot dudes on foot and that is about it.

Hope the next 18 missions bring it in some way.

And whats with referencing stuff that we never saw? For instance
Gat's funeral
. I'll bet that will be in some DLC.

Derrick01

Banned
MentalNoiz said:
Is it just me or are most of the 'main' missions pretty boring? I've completed 29 of 47 missions, and only about 2-3 were memorable in any way, notably
the BDSM club, and saving the ho's from the boat
. Too many missions are really activities in disguise, and if they are not, they are just shoot dudes on foot and that is about it.

Hope the next 18 missions bring it in some way.

Yup I'm having the same issue with the game and I'm about where you are, though I think I have about 22 done or so. It's a really underwhelming game up to this point.

dreamfall

MentalNoiz said:
And whats with referencing stuff that we never saw? For instance
Gat's funeral
. I'll bet that will be in some DLC.

This is pretty jarring- Shaundi seems so pissed, and she keeps referencing it - but we didn't experience it? It may be DLC indeed. I miss Stoner Shaundi (she was way more mellow!).

Regardless, I'm loving it. 19 hours in, two islands at 100% takeover, level 31. I think the main missions that are disguised as side quests may have been to introduce players to the activities- I didn't mind it all that much. The activities are definitely not as over the top as SR2. Calling homies to help out in Survival missions has been ace!

And I must say, I'm completing all these activities to level up- there's a real sense of reward in watching those Genki challenges get easier with better health/sprint/damage. Must keep making money to afford all the ridiculously awesome weapon upgrades!

i think sr2 turned out the way it did is because they had alot already in place after sr, I dont know what they had to throw away but, you would think they had alot of time to add in little stuff like pedestrians and goofy easter eggs since the main play area was pretty much done. SR3 is all new areas etc, so maybe it was too much in too little time?

haven't really played it yet, been playing skyrim.

Marleyman

Banned
Pimpbaa said:

I still play GTA IV online for the GTA Races and man is it a step back in terms of driving in SR3. It feels so fake, like I am playing RC Pro Am.

Top Bottom