• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Im too scared to take over %100 of areas because Im worried I'll get bored later on, when there wont be any enemy gang presence because of it. No bad guys to kill = boring
I also havent upgraded ANY of my gang stuff yet because I dont want them showing up in fire fights and stealing my kills :mad:

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
obonicus said:
The game has weird moments when no one's spawning. And others where you'll suddenly see an incredible density of people/cars for no good reason. Very annoying when doing insurance fraud when the former happens.

Also, I think I ran into a bug with the garage. I used the homie: tank delivery and then drove the tank into my garage. After that, my garage wasn't accepting cars anymore. Deleting the tank fixed it. Very odd.
I haven't run into any of these issues in the 10 hours or so I've put in so far. PC version, for what its worth.

Dead said:
Man, rampagin in this game is so fun

Cant wait to use the cheat to turn everyone into furries. :D
Nothing like just wandering around a busy street with a crew of three randomly shooting at cars and watching them spazz out, often right into each other and pedestrians. Get enough of them stuck together and add in a few grenades for more awesome. You could pretty much do the same thing in SR2, but it looks so much prettier now!

And is it just me, or does the whole "instant drop all notoriety to zero" when entering a crib or owned store seem a bit cheap and easy this time around?

jgminto

I'm about halfway through Act 3. Just discovered
Zombies
and I've been really enjoying the game overall. But I've got one major problem with the game. It's more style than substance in the last game. While there is still a bunch of stuff in the game, there seems to be some basic stuff missing from the previous one. The lack of detailed clothing options is the most disappointing for me. The removal of multiple clothing layers in SR2 restricts the character customization quite a bit and a lot of the clothing options end up looking bulky. I'm also missing the best side mission from SR2, Fuzz. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone could choose the garbage that is Mayhem over Fuzz. The removal of the Sewage Truck and the accompanying missions is also puzzling. And I may just be mistaken but I also haven't seen a single train in Steelport. There are tracks but I haven't seen any on them. And that would be a shame with the great throwing mechanics in SR:TT. And that also reminds me that the Bodyguard missions have also been removed.

Overall I'm happy with the game but these exclusions definitely disappoint me.

DrBo42

XiaNaphryz said:
And is it just me, or does the whole "instant drop all notoriety to zero" when entering a crib or owned store seem a bit cheap and easy this time around?
It is, yeah. Considering how the AI seems to always know where you are, seems like the only solution.

Hoya Destroyer said:
Im too scared to take over %100 of areas because Im worried I'll get bored later on, when there wont be any enemy gang presence because of it. No bad guys to kill = boring
I also havent upgraded ANY of my gang stuff yet because I dont want them showing up in fire fights and stealing my kills :mad:

What I read gangs will try to take back their territory you took from them.

samus4ever said:
What I read gangs will try to take back their territory you took from them.

I hope you're right. The biggest problem with SR2 was that when you beat everything, there were no bad guys left to kill. The only armed response was from cops, and I feel guilty if I kill them :/
In SR2, sometimes when you complemented a female cop, she'd say "if you like us so much, why do you kill so many of us?" Feels bad man

feels_bad_man-%28n1316601359866%29.jpg

mxgt

Banned
I hope the evil cars cheat has made a return, it's hilarious.

Also one of the most entertaining things in the game is using wheel spikes on a car, bursting other cars tyres and watching them go completely insane and drive full speed all over the place, run people over, etc.
KuGsj.gif

Got my game and instantly co-op'd with my friend. This game is amazing so far. The refinements from SR2 are nice, especially the animations and UI. I like how third mission in you already get a hold of the Reaper. Badassery. Reviews weren't kidding about the 'economy' so much to get this time around. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this over the weekend.

Man, I wish the zombie cheat was coop. Do it Volition!

Ploid 3.0

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Got my game and instantly co-op'd with my friend. This game is amazing so far. The refinements from SR2 are nice, especially the animations and UI. I like how third mission in you already get a hold of the Reaper. Badassery. Reviews weren't kidding about the 'economy' so much to get this time around. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this over the weekend.

Man, I wish the zombie cheat was coop. Do it Volition!

o_O

"Zombies (pedestrians are zombies)"

Ohhh yeeeesss, thank you Volition. I didn't look at the cheats yet. Still saving them for later down the road when I did enough to need a bit more spice in the game.

jgminto

Also I just want to say I hate the new notoriety notification system. In SR2 it was so easy to tell how much longer you had to wait to lose the cops. Now the badges just flash which really isn't helpful. Also the gang meter no longer specifies which gang is attacking you. I don't know if all of the gangs attack you at the same time in TT though so if that happens then that doesn't really matter.

Salacious Crumb

So has anyone seen the time change without dying or finishing a mission? I've been idling for 20 minutes and it's still as dark as it was when I left it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Picking this up next week together with Anno 2070. How well does the PC-version stack up against it's console-brethren?

Eusis

neorej said:
Picking this up next week together with Anno 2070. How well does the PC-version stack up against it's console-brethren?
Very nicely. I got to give the PS3 version a spin with Whored quickly, and while the PS3 version looks solid the PC version is much nicer looking on a modern upper-mid range computer.

Divius

I'm gonna give this a try. I have played or watched anything Saints Row, but I kinda expect GTA on crack. Wish me luck.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
neorej said:

I'm still getting some weird ass performance on AMD hardware.

TimeKillr

Edgeward said:
Fuck man, the last available trafficking mission is hard. All those damn brutes and helis wont stop coming.

Yeah it's insane. I lucked out and finished it with a half-destroyed truck after my own car got blown up and we just ran into a truck the other gang brought.

That one is crazy. The brutes seriously are a bad addition to me - they're just bullet (and apparently 3 rockets) sponges and they're INCREDIBLY annoying in those activities.

The trick I did find in Trafficking is to make sure you shoot a rocket at cars that have brutes that are following you while going between spots. Seriously, if you get a car down with a rocket, the brute seems to either die instantly or he just gets knocked back and you never see him again.

Where do I find me some fat, ugly hos? Need to grab one to make this assassination target appear. Been cruising around looking for like 15 minutes. Starting to think it's bugged.
Like the underglow on cars. Or do you have to switch that on somehow?

And just because I posted this I almost instantly found one.

MattyH said:
im loving the music Mastodon,Opeth,otep,SYL and YLHCSD

I think I got a pleasure boner when Tyler The Creator started blasting from my speakers. Seriously did not expect him to be in it.

Just finished Act II. The final mission of Act II is bananas and had me literally LOL. That doesn't happen too much in vidya these days for me. Adolescence kicking back in I guess :-D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stahsky said:
I'm still getting some weird ass performance on AMD hardware.
Performance is awful on my PC too. i5-750 @ 3.0GHz/Crossfire 5850s. Weird to go from a smooth 60fps in BF3 to a choppy, stuttery 20-40fps in SR3.

dyergram

Argh should of ordered from shoto gamestop let me down :( oh well my mate didnt get his either so we can co op tomorrow hopefully...

Megasoum

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Performance is awful on my PC too. i5-750 @ 3.0GHz/Crossfire 5850s. Weird to go from a smooth 60fps in BF3 to a choppy, stuttery 20-40fps in SR3.

Yeah there's definitly a bug with ATI cards in that game. I run BF3 à High (with some stuff at ultra) at 55-60fps and Skyrim at Ultra at 60fps but in SR3 I can barely get 40fps even if I play the game in DX9 on medium...ugh.

obonicus

VibratingDonkey said:
Like the underglow on cars. Or do you have to switch that on somehow?

If you install it, it only shows up at night.

Tattooth said:
Is the PC version locked at 30 fps for anyone else, my PC should be able to run it above 30 but it won't budge.

Mine runs at about 44.

Ive beaten 33 out of the 47 main missions, and I like it very much overall. I've played for about 8-9 hours so far. I didn't really care for some of the side missions that they forced you to play. I did like Guardian Angel side mission though. I like flying in the helicopter and shooting fools. I'm hoping that I can beat the main story by the weekend before I start to co-op with someone.

ctrayne

About 45% through the main story. So far I love it and I expect it to get crazier (haven't finished Act 2 yet).

Some thoughts:
• The Cockney voice isn't as good, true, but he's still funny and I noticed he has different lines than the default voice. He muttered something about chavs on one mission and it was brilliant.
• It feels like the game is designed to be played multiple times, especially at least once SP and once co-op.
• The campaign is a nice way to enjoy a fun story and get all the crazy gear so you can complete side missions/activities/collectibles/general screwing around, which is half the point of the game anyway.
• Whored mode is fun
• I don't love the DLC scheme - I feel it's unfairly hurting the gaming public's perception of the game. But I got the game for very cheap, so buying DLC is not a financial problem for me, BUT I hate to support that kind of behavior. BUT I also want more SR:TT. Bleh.
• I love Zimos.
• "So THIS is what it's like to be Shaundi." ... "I'm naked?"
• Game is awesome.

ruxtpin

Banned
Maybe it's just me, and I won't comment on it again after this, but when driving around, does anyone else think the cars are super quiet?

Dan Yo

Banned
Is there any reward or bonus for playing on hardcore?

Are there really only 4 stores this time around? No high end district store? I suppose this is what they intend to charge for with DLC.

MMaRsu

Dan Yo said:
Is there any reward or bonus for playing on hardcore?

Are there really only 4 stores this time around? No high end district store? I suppose this is what they intend to charge for with DLC.
Probably, and ill sell the game off before that time comes. No layers in clothing and no logos on tshirts either. Bah

ctrayne

Dan Yo said:
Why do you say that?
Different choices at certain plot moments, too many toys and guns to really enjoy in one playthrough, fun factor, breezy pace of the main plot, secrets to find.

DrBo42

If they add in more activities and worthwhile DLC missions/content packs I can see myself playing this for a very long time.

Syriel

WorthPlaying Review is up = 8.5/10

Some snippets.

WorthPlaying said:
In terms of overall story, the plot in Saints Row: The Third isn't quite as compelling as what we saw in the second game, but it provides for a good excuse to see some crazy stuff happen. And when said crazy stuff happens, it leaves an impression.

WorthPlaying said:
Perhaps it is the streamlined mission structure, but for better or for worse, Steelport just doesn't feel as "alive" as Stilwater. Exploring Stilwater in the earlier games felt like you were exploring all the nooks and crannies of a city. With Steelport, it feels like you're driving through the city without actually residing in it. The city is more of a backdrop than a character in and of itself this time around. It's a small distinction, but one worth noting.

WorthPlaying said:
The story may not be epic and the graphics may not be mind blowing, but when all is said and done, Saints Row: The Third probably has more "holy sh*t!" moments than any other game currently on the market. Combine this with a twisted sense of humor, and you have a recipe for success.

Overall, I'd rank the games in the series as follows:

Saints Row 2 = Still the best.
Saints Row the Third = Can't quite match the overall package of 2, but still worth the cash.
Saints Row = A fine start to the franchise, but the weakest of the series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Still pretty early on the storyline (just got to the point where you get multiple missions to choose from) as I've mainly been wandering around, buying all the properties, doing a couple activities, and a bunch of the diversions (assassinations, etc). Is it just me or is the story feeling a bit rushed? Characters are making references to stuff that were completely skipped over, stuff that would have been played through as a story mission in SR2.

I get the feeling that SR4 would be a lot meatier in this regard as there'd be less time spent on just building the city itself and more time can be spent on building out missions. Hell, I'd love SR4 to have both Stilwater and Steelport in it along with a new smaller third city and link them all together San Andreas style (as long as building out said new city doesn't take away from building up the missions).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DennisK4 said:
Can't believe this thread is dropping like a stone.

Why isn't everybody playing this great game?
Because it runs at like 15fps maxed out on two 5850s, no exaggeration. Hope the AMD drivers are out by next week.

Dennis

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Because it runs at like 15fps maxed out on two 5850s, no exaggeration. Hope the AMD drivers are out by next week.
Really?

I am getting 30 fps at 2560x1600, DX11, all settings max, 8xMSAA with one GTX580.

Megasoum

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Really?

I am getting 30 fps at 2560x1600, DX11, all settings max, 8xMSAA with one GTX580.

Yup it's an AMD bug. I have a 6870, I can run Skyrim and BF3 at max setting at 60fps but I can't get 45fps in SR3 in DX9 at medium...

Top Bottom