• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
futureshop fucked and didn't ship my preorder. missed the purolator delivery guy and can't pick up till tomorrow at 10am.
So its gonna be a Saints Row/Rocksmith and UFC PPV Weekend woot!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stitch said:
gang operations are weird. it takes ages to finish them.
You just need to kill the guys with red target icons over their heads. No need to kill any of the gang members who may show up as reinforcements.

DrBo42 said:
Wat. You can clear them with 1 UAV missile.
Not in all cases - sometimes they're on multiple levels (i.e. staircases) and the missile will only hit the guys on the top level.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
StopMakingSense said:
My iMac (i7 3.4 ghz, 1gb 6970m) has been doing 1080p, 30fps vsynced with no issues really so far.

I'm on a 3.4 ghz, 8gb, 6950 and can't get over 30 FPS on low, med, high, or ultra when I step outside. Definitely some weird AMD stuff going on.

Dennis

Banned
Totobeni said:
I am not playing right now because I can't yet...since tomorrow is the European release.
I just bought the game in Europe. Some EU countries had a release on the 15th.

I approve this trend to give us the game on Tuesdays.

Stitch

Gold Member
XiaNaphryz said:
You just need to kill the guys with red target icons over their heads. No need to kill any of the gang members who may show up as reinforcements.
there's no one with a target cross. lol man i guess i have to restart the mission...

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
SuperÑ said:
I'm running the game at 50-60 fps with a 6950 2Gb@6970 with everything set to *High and 2xMSAA..

That is so weird. Hope the new driver sorts that stuff out.

XiaNaphryz said:
Aren't those survival things separate from gang operations?
Yea those are survival missions and can be either extremely difficult (5 stars = constant waves of enemies) or pretty boring (1 enemy car at a time)

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah SR3 is going on the backburner till this AMD crap gets sorted out.

AMD have shit support, but i blame Volition on this one. They would of knew this game preformed badly on 5800 series cards before the game shipped.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stitch said:
there's no one with a target cross. lol man i guess i have to restart the mission...
Are you sure you're clearing a gang operation (marked on the map with a fist)? Or are you doing something else?

Pimpbaa

For those having framerate issues, resolution has a MASSIVE effect on framerate (this was true of their last game as well). Especially on low to midrange videocards.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gez said:

AMD have shit support, but i blame Volition on this one. They would of new this crap preformed badly on AMD cards before the game shipped.

I really can't blame anyone but AMD here,many games run bad or have bugs on AMD cards lately and AMD is way too slow to even release their drives and this is happening for some years with no change on AMD attitudes towards it, seems like they don't even want improve their support or slow drivers updates, it look like they just don't give a shit about it for some reasons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DennisK4 said:
Can't believe this thread is dropping like a stone.

Why isn't everybody playing this great game?
I'm loving it, it's right up my alley. But Skyrim is definitely still occupying most of my time.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I should not have clicked this thread, now I want this damn game. afpoijapofjapoijapoifjaspofijaspodfijaposfijapofijaspofij

how does the PS3 version hold up?

Totobeni said:
I really can't blame anyone but AMD here,many games run bad or have bugs on AMD cards lately and AMD is way too slow to even release their drives and this is happening for some years with no change on AMD attitudes towards it, seems like they don't even want improve their support or slow drivers updates, it look like they just don't give a shit about it for some reasons.
Normally I'd agree, but Volition have a history of buggy PC ports. They took months to fix a quad core issue with Guerilla Red Faction that caused the game to run at insane speeds. I think they eventually fixed it, but by that time I'd lost interest.

OneLetter

Stitch said:
You have to get close enough to the gang operation (pink icon with a fist in it) for it to activate. When it activates, approximately 7-10 guys will get red icons placed about their heads. Take out just those individuals, and the gang operation will be completed.

Note that if you want to complete these in a VTOL, you need to get low enough to the ground to activate it. That way you can't just rain hellfire from above without consequences.

For those discussing the PC version, we're working with AMD to fix the issue. The majority of PC users so far are enjoying the game without issue as evidenced by our player numbers compared to issue reports. We hope to have a solution very shortly.

I always loved the feature sets of the AMD/ATI cards but there's been just too much driver weirdness with them that I've experienced. I just got sick of dealing with it so when I spec'd out my current PC, I went the other way.

I've been playing on 360 but haven't gotten too far, maybe two or three missions in- just got picked up my second crib. I'm digging it.

I've never been huge into customizing all the layers in my look so I don't really miss those omissions. It remains to be seen if the other things bother or not since I haven't played long enough or seen enough to comment.

I love the running melee moves though. I want more. I couldn't stop giggling when I did a running flip over an old lady then turned and socked her in the jaw. Love the pro wrestling style moves too. Want more.

I do wish those moves were more viable in real combat. I haven't been able to use them effectively. They don't do enough damage to gang members to take them out (at least not for me) and they just open me up to getting wailed on with bullets while I'm trying to close distances to do them. Taking human shields is much more effective but not nearly as much fun.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Gez said:

AMD have shit support, but i blame Volition on this one. They would of knew this game preformed badly on 5800 series cards before the game shipped.

considering every major release this fall on AMD hardware has had problems I have a real hard time blaming the devs

ctrayne

DennisK4 said:
This game looks so much better than SR2 its funny.
Totally agreed. I can't agree with any comments that claim otherwise. It's actually quite a looker on max settings.

A thought I had: most of the story missions in SR2 were variations of "go here, kill that". That's fine, and the missions were hilarious and fun, but between that and the stronghold missions, one could argue SR2 was somewhat padded. I think SR3 tries to balance things out by making some of the side activities story missions like the tiger drive and Guardian Angel. You're spending less time driving to a spot and killing waves of enemies, and when you DO end up doing that in story missions, the circumstances are crazy, awesome and fun with some incredibly creative and silly moments.

Don't get me wrong, I love SR2, but a lot of what I see in SR3 makes sense.

I agree that Fuzz needs to come back, and I wish there was an easy way to replay story missions, but overall SR3 is hitting the nail on the head.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Adnor said:
Ugh, everyone, stop playing until I can play :(

yeah..reading people impressions here and seeing their awesome screenshots hurts so much.

but tomorrow is Friday...its finally happening :)

jaxpunk

Totobeni said:

hahaha ooook. So let's see Rage, Saints Row, Skyrim, Battlefield all had driver issues. Did you just get into pc gaming or something. It's not a very well kept secret ATI/AMD driver support has been spotty at best for YEARS. So blame whoever you want, everyone else knows exactly where the blame lies.

Teknoman

jaxpunk said:
hahaha ooook. So let's see Rage, Saints Row, Skyrim, Battlefield all had driver issues. Did you just get into pc gaming or something. It's not a very well kept secret ATI/AMD driver support has been spotty at best for YEARS. So blame whoever you want, everyone else knows exactly where the blame lies.

I dunno, i've never had an ATI problem until Brink and Rage (Rage worked perfect after the driver update).

Been using ATI since the Radeon 9800. Next card will be Nvidia, but still.

vaelic

Banned
Saints Row: The Third has just been released and a lot of PC gamers are experiencing low performance with AMD’s hardware. Before you jump to early conclusions, no. This is not a hasty port like Saints Row 2. This time around, the problem is with AMD’s drivers as Nvidia’s users are enjoying the game in its full glory as we speak. Fear not though as the great red team is preparing a new driver that will improve the game’s performance.

These new drivers will be released shortly – and no, these drivers are not the Catalyst 11.11 that were released recently. So, if you are one of those unlucky AMD owners, put the game aside until the new drivers hit the web. Unless, of course, you can enjoy the game with its low performance.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/new-amd-driver-promises-to-improve-saints-row-the-third-performance/

Stitch

Gold Member
OneLetter said:
You have to get close enough to the gang operation (pink icon with a fist in it) for it to activate. When it activates, approximately 7-10 guys will get red icons placed about their heads. Take out just those individuals, and the gang operation will be completed.

No there was really no one with a red icon above his head. I already killed those. Then I was fighting reinforcements for the next 20 minutes...
drove away because it got boring and when I got back those guys with the red icon above their head were back. I killed them and finally finished the mission.

Is the low performance thing really just on AMD cards? Because the framerate is kinda low on my GTX 560 Ti too :-/

MMaRsu

OneLetter said:

Note that if you want to complete these in a VTOL, you need to get low enough to the ground to activate it. That way you can't just rain hellfire from above without consequences.

For those discussing the PC version, we're working with AMD to fix the issue. The majority of PC users so far are enjoying the game without issue as evidenced by our player numbers compared to issue reports. We hope to have a solution very shortly.
Whats up with all the missing stuff compared to sr2?

stuminus3

Gez said:
Yeah this kind of bugs be. If there really is a driver issue and it's not just that the game is janky (which doesn't appear to be the case for Nvidia users), there's no possible way that Violition could have not known there was a problem - apparently rolling back several driver releases does nothing either. I suspect both Violition and AMD knew there was a problem, knew how to fix it, but AMD couldn't get their shit together in time for release.

Still, it's been kind of amusing seeing people with top end cards get the same performance as my HD5770 currently gets.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't even bat an eye anymore when it comes to games being completely borked on my ATI card. It seems every other game these days is completely boned on release on ATI.

Top Bottom