• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

jediyoshi

saintsrowthethird_dx1roe04.jpg

saintsrowthethird_dx181ec0.jpg

I'm a little peeved that the first 1/3 of the main missions in this game are basically introducing you to the different side missions. I liked SR2's mission structure a lot better.

Looks really good on the PC though.

Ploid 3.0

I wish I had a 720p monitor. 720p on my 1080p tv looks bad. Is there a way to limit framerate to 30? It's still all over the place no matter what I do. When I'm not speeding in a car it's no problem though.

mxgt said:
Why would you want realism? I think the cars are fun to drive personally, especially drifting around every corner
I have to wonder what game these people are playing if they are asking for more realism, especially in the driving. It sure as fuck isn't the same Saints Row 3 that I'm playing. Why would you want your cars to spin out like a merry-go-round every time you try to take a corner at faster than 20 mph?

Continued the game for a few hours tonight (about 67% done at roughly 12 hours). It's good but disappointing. I loved SR2 to death. SR3 just seems like it's a step back in most areas.

obonicus

Darkshier said:
So buying a bunch of properties then just sitting in the game world for a few hours = tens of thousands of dollars. All upgrades here I come.

There's a cap to how much money you can have at one time. At first it's like 15k, then it goes up to like 30, and when you get the strongholds it really leaps up. With all 3 strongholds upgraded my limit is at 720k.

Petrie

Banned
Can someone explain to me how the hell to taunt rival gans and give props or whatever to homies? I do the taunts but it never counts towards my challenges.

Anyone else not getting dynamic day/night cycles during the campaign? The time only statically changes for me, like after loads screens or missions.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
XiaNaphryz said:
That's what I'm hoping, though I'd rather do the multi-city route like San Andreas (as long as they can keep it full of interesting stuff as well as tons of missions).

I dunno honestly, I liked the size of Stillwater, LC and Vice City more than SA, I don't like the super huge maps in these type of games.

FStop7

Banned
Just bought the PC version from $40 off of Amazon.

Is the Genki DLC going to be released for sale to everyone at some point?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FStop7 said:
Just bought the PC version from $40 off of Amazon.

Is the Genki DLC going to be released for sale to everyone at some point
?

THQ said it wont be sold separately after release iirc.

Sean

Banned
Anyone have an issue where they can no longer basejump? Early in the game I was able to do it, but now after I parachute out I never see the prompt "Press Y for Basejump" anymore.

Baha

Teknoman said:
Either you cant join people via steam lists, or people arent playing in online mode.

Pretty much this. I can join my friend's game via steam friends list since he's playing online.

Teknoman

Baha said:
Pretty much this. I can join my friend's game via steam friends list since he's playing online.

Can you do it if they arent on your friends list via join game? Say through the gaf co-op group list?

Dan Yo

Banned
Totobeni said:
Not sure if he will answer that, but I guess it's because that SR2 was built over SR1 (same engine, same map) so it was easier for them to put as many stuff into it and made complete package,here they were starting from scratch. (so SR4 might be SR2 all over again?)
I think you're giving them too much credit. The most likely answer is that they wanted to make room for DLC to sell you.

Kerrby

Banned
Has anyone found a halo? It was in the second game but I can't find it in this game, I did see someone wearing a halo at
the gimp party

There's only two shops though, Lets Pretend and Planet Saints and neither of them sell it :/.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Finished the game. Last few levels are excessively rough. I think this is one of the few games that throw as much shit at you as Prototype does. Ending was fine, but I was a bit disappointed about
the fact that Gat dies off screen, but he actually is dead despite the fact that vague deaths in games usually mean they're still alive. Did Kim want more money or something?

A lot of these assassinations get really fucking obtuse.

I can't tell if the game is glitching, just being a coincidental dick about spawning the right things, or I'm not doing what it asks in the incredibly vague description.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ShockingAlberto said:
A lot of these assassinations get really fucking obtuse.

I can't tell if the game is glitching, just being a coincidental dick about spawning the right things, or I'm not doing what it asks in the incredibly vague description.
If it's the crooked cop, the strategy guide says to kill cops and civvies, so it's got to be a bug

zoner said:
If it's the crooked cop, the strategy guide says to kill cops and civvies, so it's got to be a bug
There's other stuff, too, like the pimp in Espinia.

Max out the Morningwood notoriety (which I can't do, because they just stop showing up but STAG doesn't) and kill an undefined amount of hos, who themselves spawn really inconsistently.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ResidentDante said:
Hahaha! LMAO, I've seen this happen a few times, but never thought of following them. Great vid!
Works best on busy streets and intersections with a lot of cars and pedestrians. Cars will often suddenly start ramming into people way off the street, slamming them into various objects. The best is when a bunch of cars start spazzing out and they end up stuck in a bunch. At which point you toss a grenade of course...

ctrayne

12 hours on Steam, game completion is 54% and I won't be stopping when it hits 100%. Plenty to do in this game. Just got the VTOL and loving it. Cockney voice seems to get better as the story goes on.

Game is amazing. Bit too much bellyaching in this thread.

mxgt

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Hah awesome. Maybe I could use a big truck to plow through gangs.

What are your computer specs? This is the pc version right?

Yeah, playing on PC. i5 2500k, GTX 570. Runs really well

Edgeward

11 hours played and I still love it. Just did the trail blazer missions and got a sweet ass tron bike and car to roll around in, too bad I can't upgrade them like other cars.

Anyone know what the cooldown time of calling homies or vehicle request is? Or if there is an ability to make it go faster? Because that's a dumb thing to put cooldown on especially when i want a fast car but can't cause i have to wait.

Also being able to kill Brutes only by running up to them and pressing Y is hella dumb. Especially when doing the Genki runs or random survival waves and other people are doing the living crap out of you but you obviously want to get rid of the Brute before they get back up with some restored health.

Amagon

Just beaten the game, +23 hours in with 45 out of 47 main missions completed (don't know which two I'm missing) and all properties bought and side activities done including the assassin challenges but not auto theft or in game challenges or hidden items. Don't know if thats holding me back from getting 100% from each island but what ever. I can tell you this much, Saints Row 3 is fun and alot good usage of music corroborating with the missions (love the last mission) and the script is fun as hell but plot holes be damn! Plus with the less customization, no advance melee mechanics, iffy voice acting, a few activity modes that are missing. I put Saints Row 2 slightly above Saints Row 3 because of that and it has a better coherent plot in my book.

Why kill Johnny Gat right in the beginning of the game with no dead body in sight and just a mention of a funeral, thats it. Nobody in the cast cared much about Gat's death except Shaundi (who I really dislike in this game than in SR2). I don't mind Johnny being dead in this game but he was the main dude in the first two SR2 games. That making his death unimportant in 3 felt rubbish and insulting. Volition, you guys could have done a better job with this. And hyping Philip Loren as the main bad guy and him dead early in the game felt bullshit to me too. Hulk Hogan's voice acting Angel de la Muerte made me not like the character at all. I like the Angel character alot but hiring Hogan as the VA wasn't a good choice. How can I relate to this ex-luchador when I all I can think of is Hogan. Took the experience away from the character. And KIA from STAG threw me off at the end, didn't like it one bit. Though, I did like Burt Reynolds playing as the Mayor and Sasha Grey did a superb job voicing Viola. Acutally all the side characters I did like except Pierce or Shaundi. And one more thing, where the hell is Dex since his story is not finish yet and at the end of SR2, he mention's going to another city so I was wondering when we were gonna have some answers from that plot but it seems Volition just didn't want to do anything else with it.
Like I said before, SR2>SR3. There was basically no continuation plot wise from the past 2 games and felt more like a standalone title than anything else. Though, it is still a fun game and all and I really do like it but how do I say this......Two steps forward, one step backward

:/

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone else notice all the buildings that seem like they are there for a reason but seem to serve no purpose?

The main culprit is that Gothedral place, I mean, maybe it unlocks later, but it seems like the kind of location that would be a clothing store or something

Jaroof

Question:
After you buy the shark gun, how do you use it?
I thought it was supposed to show up in your safe house weapon cache.. but it's not there for me.

All of my other DLC shows up.

mxgt

Banned
Can buy the DLC in the UK off gamersgate.

Better than nothing, god I hate GAME for keeping this off the actual Steam site

FStop7 said:
Is Jennifer Hale not female voice #1? It sure sounds like her, but she's not credited for it on IMDB or Wikipedia.
I thought it sounded like my fem-shep in Mass Effect, but it doesn't look like it's her on imdb.

Huggy

I have a problem with the main story when you're still assembling:

After taking over Loren clone lab, where you can choose to save it or blow it up, you get a cutscene where the Saints are ambushed on a bridge.
Shaundi afterwards says the ambushers should pay for what they did to Gatt's funeral.

I don't recall them ever planning a trip to a funeral, seeing what happened there, and why they were on that bridge in the first place (coming back from Stillwater from the funeral?)
Quickly afterwards they're recruiting random key characters in rapid succession.

It all feels very janky and like I'm skipping stuff.

Jaroof

Still couldn't find out how to use my shark gun :(

That said.. this game is incredible. So much fun. So goofy. The gunplay may not be the best, but I still have a blast in the shootouts, thanks to the crazy weapons and silly melee attacks.
This seriously might be my GotY. I love the freedom. Love the Respect progression system. 7 hours in, and I'm only at level 16 :)
Looking forward to making it through the rest of the levels.

lowemark

argh, this is the last time I preorder a game from Zavvi!
the game was shipped from them on Tuesday but it still haven't arrived..
"delivered in 2-3 working days", yeah right!

I was so looking forward to play this game all weekend :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FStop7 said:
Is Jennifer Hale not female voice #1? It sure sounds like her, but she's not credited for it on IMDB or Wikipedia.

No, she is Laura Bailey ( voice of Rayne from Bloodrayne 1/2 and ,Catherine and Serah Farron from FFXIII)

Voice actress can change their voice to even sound like other people, it's their job, still no actress will be as good for The Saints boss as Katie Semine.

d1rtn4p

Had a chance to put a few more hours into it and it still seems that it's mostly a big step back from Saints Row 2 with exception to the graphics.

My biggest problem stems from the fact that they seemed to have made a playground for the single player missions instead of making it a sandbox game that included missions like the previous two. The world feels mostly bland and dead; there is no sea activity; no planes taking off from the airport, and most of the time the streets are dead of cars and people. Even the bystander interaction is extremely shallow now. In the first two games, you had pimp fights and prostitute uprisings breaking out left and right; in this game you get the same cops arresting someone and guy playing guitar copy/pasted on every block. In the previous game, bystanders would fight back too; in this game, they may try, but all it takes is one punch to send them running.

I'm also really disappointed with the gang interaction now, they will only aggro against other gang members or cops, and even then they seem pretty useless in this game, for something other than diversions of course.

The single player missions are pretty fun though, albeit a bit repetitive. I do have two questions:

- Has anyone seen a real-time day/night transition yet? From what I can tell time only changes when you enter/leave a building or start a mission <- disappointing.

- In the first games, as you took over territories, your homies would start to take over; you'd see them walking and driving around, and they would jump in and help you if something broke out. Does this happen in this game? I'm about 56% ownership on the Morningstar territory and I have yet to see any of my gang members around. When I die, I always have to go back to the penthouse to get some new followers; is this what's expected? (Shaundi and Pierce's phones are always busy).
McCrank is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

obonicus

d1rtn4p said:
Does this happen in this game?

Yep, they tend to hang out outside of properties you own. What version are you playing? I see the 'empty streets' complaint, and outside of weird occasions (suddenly no one is around for mayhem or insurance fraud) I haven't really run into that. There's usually a lot of people on the street.

d1rtn4p

obonicus said:
Yep, they tend to hang out outside of properties you own. What version are you playing? I see the 'empty streets' complaint, and outside of weird occasions (suddenly no one is around for mayhem or insurance fraud) I haven't really run into that. There's usually a lot of people on the street.

Ok cool, I haven't bought many properties yet, maybe that's why I'm running into it.

AiTM

Banned
Is it just me or are the aiming controls horrendous? Worse than Saints Row 1 and 2. Even turned the sensitivity up to 100 for both vertical and horizontal and its still awfully slow and tankish.

Top Bottom