• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how do the cars handle in this game? I own Saint's Row 2 but really don't like how the cars handle. I might be one of a few people on this board who loved how the cars drive in GTA IV though. Any chance they handle like they do in that?

Marleyman

Banned
chadderbox77 said:
Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how do the cars handle in this game? I own Saint's Row 2 but really don't like how the cars handle. I might be one of a few people on this board who loved how the cars drive in GTA IV though. Any chance they handle like they do in that?

I am a huge GTA IV driving fan and the cars handle like garbage in comparison.

chadderbox77 said:

Can't recall the handling on GTA4, but SR3 is a VAST improvement over SR2.

ksimm

DennisK4 said:
Can't believe this thread is dropping like a stone.

Why isn't everybody playing this great game?

1. Skyrim.
2. It isn't out for everyone yet (UK here).

SapientWolf said:
Because it runs at like 15fps maxed out on two 5850s, no exaggeration. Hope the AMD drivers are out by next week.

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. :[
*gives 5850 evil stare*

DrBo42

Marleyman said:
I am a huge GTA IV driving fan and the cars handle like garbage in comparison.
Not exactly garbage, but it definitely has room for improvement. Nothing realistic about the driving model in this game. Please improve this for SR4 :(

mxgt

Banned
Can play now without VPN in the UK it seems.

When I click DLC on the menu it still says not available in your region.. great. I want that damn shark gun.

mxgt

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Not exactly garbage, but it definitely has room for improvement. Nothing realistic about the driving model in this game. Please improve this for SR4 :(

Why would you want realism? I think the cars are fun to drive personally, especially drifting around every corner

DrBo42 said:
I doubt it's supposed to be realistic like GTA IV, it's supposed to be arcade-like.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MMaRsu said:
Whats up with all the missing stuff compared to sr2?

Not sure if he will answer that, but I guess it's because that SR2 was built over SR1 (same engine, same map) so it was easier for them to put as many stuff into it and made complete package,here they were starting from scratch. (so SR4 might be SR2 all over again?)

DrBo42 said:
You want realism in a game where you can beat people to death with a dido sword?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Totobeni said:
(so SR4 might be SR2 all over again?)
That's what I'm hoping, though I'd rather do the multi-city route like San Andreas (as long as they can keep it full of interesting stuff as well as tons of missions).

DennisK4 said:
Can't believe this thread is dropping like a stone.

Why isn't everybody playing this great game?

This was my most eagerly awaited game of the year but reports of the lack of content and the fact that there's a bullshit season pass have put me off of it. If it was akin to 1 and 2 when everything was in the box there's no doubt that I'd buy it on release tomorrow, but I'm not going to support business practices that I deem dubious.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I just finished the story, the last 15 missions or so really picked up and were relatively fun even though the objectives were still "gun a million guys down here". I still think it's the most disappointing game I've played this year though, and definitely worse than SR2.

DrBo42

mxgt said:
Why would you want realism? I think the cars are fun to drive personally, especially drifting around every corner
Yikes people. I'm not talking about GT5 levels on the the driving model, just something that's a little more intuitive. You lose so much speed even attempting to drift in this game, it takes the fun out of it because it doesn't function properly. Don't even get me started on how the full acceleration sound/shifting sequence occurs when barely holding the accelerator and moving at 5mph. There's room for improvement. I already said earlier in the thread that it's way better than SR2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One complaint. The Snatch hard levels are near impossible. The AI for the people you're picking up is so god damn stupid they spend about 2 minutes trying to pose or figure out they need to be in the car and by then, because there's so much shit going on, the enemy has pulled you out of the car and then the moron AI decides to get out of the car because you're out of the car. The only way to really do it is to try and push the driver side up against a wall.

It's really bad

Also, the brutes are incredibly lopsided compared to every other challenge in the game.

Jintor

The fucking audio problems are intolerable and I don't know what's causing it. Every so often the game will just cut half the audio streams. I'll be driving along with no noise, or a cutscene will just lose the voice track.

IMACOMPUTA

I heard an npc randomly say something to the effect of
"I'm so hungry.. I'll eat your farts!"

and I died laughing. haha.

I have a sapphire 6950 with a stock OC and when playing this game at max settings I get 30 fps on average.
If i change settings like AA and textures, etc. I gain no frames. Doesn't this mean I'm cpu limited?
I have an i5 750 @ 3.4 Ghz FFS.

Plasma

Banned
Just booted up the game for the first time is anyone else having trouble with the controller sensitivity? Even maxed out the y axis moves really slow.

The cutscenes in this game have made me laugh several times, a rarity for a video game. Fun writing.

This game is great if you are right in my age range, so many things, from soundtrack choices (You're Best Around from Karate Kid, No Easy Way our from Rocky 4), to some of the taunts and poses (Ric Flair Whoooo and strut, Vanilla Ice dance TMNT 2, The Spaceball salute) so many references that hit the sweet cult classic/nostalgia spot.

Has anyone done the assassination mission with the dirty cop?

Pierce says to go to the neighborhood and make a lot of noise. I've tried getting in major gang fights, cop fights, walking around shooting my shotgun in the air, and driving around honking my car horn.

What's the key to this?

Ploid 3.0

ksimm said:
WTF, installed from disc, now it wants to download 1.7gig.... gahhhh >:[

Steam? I remember ordering the TF2 disk and not being able to install a single byte from it, having to download and install everything from steam.

Mikeside

Amazon only shipped it today, the bastards!
Hope it turns up tomorrow morning anyway, otherwise I have to wait it out until monday :(

Pimpbaa

I think this is the first game where character creation had a boob size slider that is too big for me at max setting. The only thing that is wrong with character creation in this game is that there isn't enough clothes to go along with your creations. I want more slutty clothes!

Varshes

Jintor said:
The fucking audio problems are intolerable and I don't know what's causing it. Every so often the game will just cut half the audio streams. I'll be driving along with no noise, or a cutscene will just lose the voice track.

I just ran into this problem during cutscenes, all the audio BUT the voice track is missing, it's really annoying. PS3 version here.

ksimm

Ploid 3.0 said:
Steam? I remember ordering the TF2 disk and not being able to install a single byte from it, having to download and install everything from steam.
Yes I had problems with Skyrim installing with retail disc to Steam. Deleted the cache and trying to install again.

I love Steam, but I don't think it's very user friendly when you install from a retail copy sometimes.

when they said you don't have to do activities to earn respect anymore to access main missions(like sr2), i didn't think they would go and integrate the damn activities into main missions. its fun, but still...

trolls.

PaulLFC

My GPU usage (GTX 460) is locked at 98% according to EVGA Precision. It's the same no matter whether I use high settings, which the card should be able to handle, or turn most of the options way down. The average FPS improves, but the GPU usage is still shown as 98%, even in the menus.

Is this normal? It doesn't seem to be, Skyrim with mostly high settings didn't use anywhere near that percentage. Should I be worried about affecting the GPU?

Also, could be completely unrelated, but if I start SR3 and Alt-Tab out of it, typing response speed in text boxes slows to an absolute crawl - it takes about 3 or 4 seconds after I type a character for it to appear on screen. As soon as I close SR3, the response speed returns to normal. Very strange.

obonicus

bigboss370 said:
when they said you don't have to do activities to earn respect anymore to access main missions(like sr2), i didn't think they would go and integrate the damn activities into main missions. its fun, but still...

trolls.

Didn't they do something similar in SR2, to introduce you to some of the activities? Granted, there were more missions in SR2, so you ended up forgetting about it.

Finally got to level 50 and all the unlocks. Some of them are fairly misleading, like 'instant reload'. It's more like 'never reload'. And once you get the 'no damage' upgrades, only melee will damage you -- bullets/fire/explosions don't even count as damage for purposes of regen (luchador grenades will still make you stagger, no matter what). So brutes can still be a problem, as can
zombies

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bigboss370 said:

trolls.
It's only for the first set of them to introduce you to them.

Also the final Decker level is the greatest god damn thing ever made.
Ever. No hyperbole

Just got this from gamefly.

-Jesus this game is ugly as sin(360). Framerate is sketch and the shadows are awful, and the resolution is like 5x3 pixels.

-Legitimately laugh out loud in places. The VA is almost...confusingly good. Not sure who these guys and gals are, but they're funny. Also the 'awesome' melees are fucking hilarious and so well animated. I especially like the dropkick. Something about dropkicking an old lady in the face, it just feels right.

-For the first few missions so far, it feels like a bit like a target gallery at times. Shoot the things that move for a while, then there's a short cut scene, then shoot some more stuff that moves.

-Upgrades look fun.

Groggy

Neo Member
Can you actually flip your car over in SR3 or are they all still super-glued to the street like the previous games?

FHIZ

So I'm a bit concerned with the length and if I'm heading through this game too fast. I keep looking at that "47 missions" list in the stats menu and then seeing missions where they just orient you to the various activities being checked off. I don't know, it's always on the back of my mind, so do the missions get a bit beefier later?

obonicus

zoner said:
Also the final Decker level is the greatest god damn thing ever made.
Ever. No hyperbole

I don't know, man. I thought that last night, then I played the final Luchador level and it's just as amazing. The story missions are shockingly good.

FHIZ said:
So I'm a bit concerned with the length and if I'm heading through this game too fast. I keep looking at that "47 missions" list in the stats menu and then seeing missions where they just orient you to the various activities being checked off. I don't know, it's always on the back of my mind, so do the missions get a bit beefier later?

They do, they get more like the initial missions.

FHIZ

okay good to hear. I mean, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, but that feeling was just lurking in the back of my mind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, here's a warning about the assassinations.

Make sure you do them before you take over the whole city. I have one to piss off the Morning Stars to make the target show, but I've already wiped the Morning Stars off the map.

Top Bottom