• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

derFeef

That happened to me with Skyrim the first day also. I switched servers, deleted the .blop files and it worked eventually. It may have beend coincidence, but give it a shot.

Played the first hour on Onlive when it launched. Lots of fun so far.

One thing I did notice though - during the introductory missions, the first time I got into a car and drove, I encountered a lot of fps slowdown.

Is this symptomatic of the PC version, or is it a quirk of the Onlive version?

SmokyDave

derFeef said:
That happened to me with Skyrim the first day also. I switched servers, deleted the .blop files and it worked eventually. It may have beend coincidence, but give it a shot.
I owe you a pint my good man. Now decrypting files, woo-hoo!

EYEL1NER

As hyped as I was for this, I think I prefer Saint's Row 2 over this. This is not a bad game by any means, but I liked the story, missions, character options, and even driving (gasp!) better in 2.

That being said, this game is still blowing me away. Last night I was doing assassination missions. Usually I would track my mark down and just ram him, run him over, and back over him. Rinse, repeat.
But there was one guy,
the guy at the airport who comes out after you when you steal a cart
. I had just upgraded my car a bit and thought the reinforced bumper would come in handy for ramming people. So I upgraded it to level 2. This guy was in a vehicle though. I was driving up behind him and hit my nitrous, expecting to run him off the road so he would bail out on foot like in GTAIV. I ended up blowing through the vehicle. It fucking exploded, his flaming body flew away, and my car shot through the explosion. I did not expect it at all and after trying it a couple more times, I decided I love it. Why ram a car off the road when you can drive right through it?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
EYEL1NER said:
As hyped as I was for this, I think I prefer Saint's Row 2 over this. This is not a bad game by any means, but I liked the story, missions, character options, and even driving (gasp!) better in 2.

That being said, this game is still blowing me away. Last night I was doing assassination missions. Usually I would track my mark down and just ram him, run him over, and back over him. Rinse, repeat.
But there was one guy,
. I had just upgraded my car a bit and thought the reinforced bumper would come in handy for ramming people. So I upgraded it to level 2. This guy was in a vehicle though. I was driving up behind him and hit my nitrous, expecting to run him off the road so he would bail out on foot like in GTAIV. I ended up blowing through the vehicle. It fucking exploded, his flaming body flew away, and my car shot through the explosion. I did not expect it at all and after trying it a couple more times, I decided I love it. Why ram a car off the road when you can drive right through it?

Those little things make all the difference.

Last night, I went a little crazy, I took a hostage, got to a relatively quiet section, decided to cut the hostage loose, I threw him into the air, pulled out my shotgun and unleashed my ammo on him.I never managed to track down his body to see how bad he was mangled :p

Adnor

Banned
Played some hours yesteday, and I love this game.
I miss some things that were in SR2, like Fuzz, but the gameplay is much better.

I was driving around between missions, and found Professor Genki.
If you see him, KILL HIM, you win mad profit. Seriously, I bought almost every perk I could, and upgraded my pistols.

george_us

SirButterstick said:
I'm a little peeved that the first 1/3 of the main missions in this game are basically introducing you to the different side missions. I liked SR2's mission structure a lot better.

Looks really good on the PC though.
Eh I don't mind it at all. You basically had to do those missions in SR2 to earn enough Respect for the "Big Missions" anyways so this just takes out a lot of the tediousness imo.

Totobeni said:
No, she is Laura Bailey ( voice of Rayne from Bloodrayne 1/2)
So THAT's why her voice sounds so familiar.

obonicus

EYEL1NER said:

But there was one guy,

For the record, you could blow up cars in SR2 the same way. Bigger cars are better at it, though.

Adnor said:
Played some hours yesteday, and I love this game.
I miss some things that were in SR2, like Fuzz, but the gameplay is much better.

Fuzz is the only activity I miss. I never liked crowd control or the sewage one much. And yeah, almost all the gameplay feels better. The only thing I don't like is that the human shield option defaults to human shield, and not to throw. I seem to remember that in SR2 you could toss people around a lot more easily.

That said, the lack of clothing options is a bit of a bummer, as is the fact that there aren't buildings you can enter/exit, like the airport or mall.

JohngPR

Does anyone have PC impressions? Amazon has this game on sale for $39.99 and I'm tempted to get it on PC since it's so much cheaper than the 360 version.

Dennis

Banned
JohngPR said:
Does anyone have PC impressions? Amazon has this game on sale for $39.99 and I'm tempted to get it on PC since it's so much cheaper than the 360 version.
Looks great. Some screenshots have been posted a page or three back.

Great performance on Nvidia.

Some AMD users have issues....with the game that is.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JohngPR said:

The thread is full of them...with screens too.

Edit: DennisK4 is a nicer dude than me.

XAL

JohngPR said:

I was thinking about getting the 360 version, i bought it on steam instead.

It looks a helluva lot better. And I play both SR3 and Skyrim with my 360 controller. Feels soooo good.

JohngPR

DennisK4 said:
Looks great. Some screenshots have been posted a page or three back.

Great performance on Nvidia.

Some AMD users have issues....with the game that is.

Very cool, thanks.

I have an ATI card though. :(

LOL

I'm assuming that you can use a 360 pad to play it. I'm tempted to get it for PC despite the fact that I'd probably enjoy it more on 360 (comfy couch, 46" TV, 5.1 Surround Sound).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JohngPR said:
Very cool, thanks.

I have an ATI card though. :(

LOL

I'm assuming that you can use a 360 pad to play it. I'm tempted to get it for PC despite the fact that I'd probably enjoy it more on 360 (comfy couch, 46" TV, 5.1 Surround Sound).

Yes you can

stuminus3

kurtrussell said:
Played the first hour on Onlive when it launched. Lots of fun so far.

One thing I did notice though - during the introductory missions, the first time I got into a car and drove, I encountered a lot of fps slowdown.

Is this symptomatic of the PC version, or is it a quirk of the Onlive version?
Sounds like Onlive are running the game on AMD hardware. That's freakin' hilarious!

Radec

Just got the game.

Fantastic opening scene. And that Airplane scene. :D

SR3's Driving >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GTA:IV.

Game is good.

Really enjoying the game so far, PC performance has been great (nvidia card). Been playing FemBoss and couple things bugged me. First is a small gripe, but if you're wearing heels all the cut scenes are animated with flats in mind, so she looks goofy while walking.
The other is the pimp missions, in particular
the one where you're drugged and sold as a sex slave.
I imagine the gag might work if you're playing a male, but really creeped me out. Fortunately you never seem to come back to that afterwards and things continue being wacky.

I'm also not getting the open world fatigue I normally get with GTA games or the previous SR. Just devouring missions like crazy, always curious what they're going to do next. After a long day this game is such a great way to unwinde.

Adnor

Banned
benjipwns said:
I NEED A HERO

I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO TILL THE END OF THE NIGHT

Incredible game.
YOU'RE THE BEST!
AROUND
NOTHING'S GONNA EVER KEEP YOU DOWN

ksimm

Managed to get a little time with this in the early hours of this morning and it is silky smooth.
That's with an HD 5850 and I7 2600K, so I was relived after hearing all these ATI horror stories.

I made it as far as creating my char and getting out on the street where I promptly ran after a granny and shoved her face into the pavement. She was probably a dealer anyway...

derFeef

Installing! Hope those with the AMD horror stories have bad luck (not that I hope they have bad luck... you know what I mean ;), I'll report back.

stuminus3 said:
Sounds like Onlive are running the game on AMD hardware. That's freakin' hilarious!
Yeah, some of OnLive's hardware is AMD and some of it is Nvidia. I noticed immediately the difference between the 2 hardware configs.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ksimm said:
Managed to get a little time with this in the early hours of this morning and it is silky smooth.
That's with an HD 5850 and I7 2600K, so I was relived after hearing all these ATI horror stories.

I made it as far as creating my char and getting out on the street where I promptly ran after a granny and shoved her face into the pavement. She was probably a dealer anyway...
You're the only person I've seen with good performance on a 5850. It might help Volition if you post your specs, driver version and framerates.

Killer said:
Do you guys recommend this game for Co-op? How is the saving progress in co-op works?

Coop is extremely fun though I feel like it does make some of the missions easier and the host player tends to dominate the dialog. It was a blast for me and my brother. For saving, if both are on the same mission, you'll progress the story concurrently and during cutscenes you'll see your player interact with NPC. If one player is ahead of the other, you'll be doing the host player's missions but when the other player goes back to their game, they will be required to finish the ones that they didn't get to and when you reach missions you've done in coop, you are given the option to skip them or do them again for extra respect and cash

You keep all the stores, weapons and vehicles you buy in coop as well. One thing is that only the host player can upgrade strongholds

Moaradin

Killer said:
Do you guys recommend this game for Co-op? How is the saving progress in co-op works?

Hell yea, its best played in Co-op. If you leave the game it doesn't actually kick the host this time around.

Game auto saves after every mission, and you can manually save.

It finally got delivered yesterday. The status just suddenly changed to "Delivered" around 5pm and man is it GLORIOUS.

I have a very stable framerate, but I was playing it at 720p and Ultra settings. It looks quite good at those settings, I might try 1080p later tonight. I have a GTX275 powering my rig.

I've only made to the second mission. I ended up doing one of the assassination missions as well. Initial plan was to mess around the city for a long time, but I think I will start knocking out story missions so I can unlock homies and stuff.

Erudite

Killer said:
I'm only playing this in co-op, and it's a blast. It saves progress for both players- main missions, activity completions, business purchases, etc. all get saved.
Killer said:
Thanks for the responses guys. My friend and I will buy it :D. Hope all that works on PC version.
Edit: We're playing on PC, so you shouldn't have any problems on that front

Akkad

Banned
I have the PC version and my specs are i5-750 and GTX460 1gb, and 4 gigs of ram. Anybody know why a game would pause for less than a second every hour or so, it's been happening to me once in a while I'm trying to figure out why. It happened when I had the game on ultra and high.

JohngPR

I was seriously thinking of getting it on Amazon via DL since it's $39.99 but now that I hear all these AMD issues, I think I'm changing my mind.

Why does it seems like there are constantly more issues with AMD hardware with new releases, you'd think they'd learn to work with devs more after the first couple of times :/

ctrayne

RE: PC performance: I'm running a stock i5-2500, mildly overclocked GTX 560 Ti and 8 GB RAM. Getting great performance at 1080p, have had no crashes to desktop or any bizarre behavior. Runs like magic for me.

obonicus

razgriz417 said:
Why does it seems like there are constantly more issues with AMD hardware with new releases, you'd think they'd learn to work with devs more after the first couple of times :/

The ridiculous thing is that this has AMD's 'meant to be played' equivalent emblem pop up. When I saw it I thought: 'oh shit, I have a 560 Ti', and then it turned out the way it did.

PaulLFC

Has anyone else had the issue where Alt-Tabbing and leaving the game running in the background messes up tying response speed? It takes at least a couple of seconds for each character I type to appear, until I exit SR3 completely and then the speed returns to normal.

obonicus

PaulLFC said:
Has anyone else had the issue where Alt-Tabbing and leaving the game running in the background messes up tying response speed? It takes at least a couple of seconds for each character I type to appear, until I exit SR3 completely and then the speed returns to normal.

Happened to me the one time I alt-tabbed in the middle of the game. Alt-tabbing from the main menu doesn't make a difference.

I was really glad to find out that we wouldn't have to do any more side stuff to advance the story.

Then I go and find out they made it all part of the main story missions. What is it with Volition and their stupid minigames? I'd be okay with it if it was new stuff but I seem to be doing the same things I did in Saint's Row 1 and 2 and it's really boring.

whats a fun way to make money, without "cheating" (like buying properties and leaving the game running all day)

I loved doing the hostage type in SR2, but I didn't notice it give money but just respect in SR3

obonicus

cleveridea said:
whats a fun way to make money, without "cheating" (like buying properties and leaving the game running all day)

I loved doing the hostage type in SR2, but I didn't notice it give money but just respect in SR3

There really aren't great ways to make money compared to earning money from properties. Eventually once you get the gang kill challenges you start to get money for it, but it's not a great way to make money. Professor Genki isn't too hard to make money on, if you're okay with combat, and your upgrades transfer in.

I am now invincible. I have become death. Drop a bomb on me and fry me with lasers, I don't care. Just don't punch me. :(

Think maybe I should've waited with all the property buying stuff until later, because I've still got another 25% or something to go. Most of that's gonna be super easy now I imagine. Although Volition doesn't seem against cheating away your upgrades if it's in service of making the gameplay more interesting. Like during the
Zombie
Attack mission they reset my unlimited sprint down to the lowest level. Probably could've just run past them otherwise.

And about the choice at the end of that mission
Burt Reynolds is awesome and the SWAT team is nice too, pretty sure I made the right choice, but what happens if you go with the zombie?

Ferny

Loving the game so far. There are some things from SR2 that I really liked, but I think SR3 is just as good, if not better.

Ploid 3.0

cleveridea said:

Since I got the game I've done nothing but drive around taking out the gang stuff that seem to pop up randomly. Other than that I just do random stuff. Did a mission today then went right back to random stuff, mostly picking fights causing chaos. Don't seem to make a ton of money from them but it adds up.

Ferny said:
Loving the game so far. There are some things from SR2 that I really liked, but I think SR3 is just as good, if not better.

SR3 is better with the updated gameplay/graphics, it's just that SR2 had more content and a diverse world. Can't really say on the missions yet. I think I did 4-5. I like the missions in SR2, they were crazy and you'd be doing stuff like driving on the road and end up tearing down shelters in the caves.

AiTM said:
Is it just me or are the aiming controls horrendous? Worse than Saints Row 1 and 2. Even turned the sensitivity up to 100 for both vertical and horizontal and its still awfully slow and tankish.

Same for me using Xbox pad on PC.
Feels like the vertical sensitivity is lower than the horizontal too although it's set to the same values.

I know the game's meant to be about the totally over-the-top shenanigans you can have your character engage in, and while the opening certainly set that scene, is that really how you want people to view the very first mission in the game? Having to defend a warehouse while waves and waves of utterly, utterly retarded AI soldiers advance on you? I really have not seen cannon fodder AI this bad in quite some time.

Still, I'm looking forward to kicking ass and causing all sorts of mayhem with my crazy Eastern European chick. Hope it's as fun as SR2 :)

FoxSpirit

Lazy Jones said:
Same for me using Xbox pad on PC.
Feels like the vertical sensitivity is lower than the horizontal too although it's set to the same values.
Never had any problems, sorry.

Also, the menu music in the menus is so frikkin badass and only an atrociously bad youtube upload exists >.<

Top Bottom