• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
very addictive game really enjoying it.

I don't know how some have said it looks crappy i think it look fantastic.
The visual improvements are great and I get a real Ralph Bakshi urban cartoon vibe from its style.

I can see why some are disappointed as it seems to be missing alot of stuff which I think everyone was assuming would be defacto standards for the series.

I think its fair to say its more Saints Row 1 in amount of content, not Saints Row 2,but with the whole new engine and amount of work for assets. now that its moved beyond last gen graphics, I can understand why.

I personally miss all the interior locations. SR2 just had tons of places that were fleshed out interiors and I haven't found any yet. I keep coming across really neat looking buildings but there aren't any doors.

Well quit sitting on the fence. Did my part and bought the PC version. Between this and RF:A (RIP), gotta give my love to Volition for their excellent PC efforts.

Well quit sitting on the fence. Did my part and bought the PC version. Between this and RF:A (RIP), gotta give my love to Volition for their excellent PC efforts.

They're indeed commendable, though I can't give them that much credit for taking the time with the PC version since the first Volition game I played was Descent ;)

Wow, the
zombie
mission was quite irritating. Final one was too, lost my
VTOL and had to clear the armory on foot. No fun with the nedless amount of shit you had to destroy.

All in all the game wasn't that great.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I just tried the free trial on Onlive. It was only 15 minutes, so I could only get through the intro. Needless to say, I have to buy this game at some point. Those 15 minutes alone had me in tears.

Kikarian

I just tried the free trial on Onlive. It was only 15 minutes, so I could only get through the intro. Needless to say, I have to buy this game at some point. Those 15 minutes alone had me in tears.
Ye, the start off the game is intense, funny and fun. It get's funnier and funnier.

Babalu.

Hey I just got to the first choice in the game, blow up the building or defuse or something like that.

One gives a boost to respect, the other to money. Anyone know which choice is better?

And if I don't destroy it, do I get to keep it as a hideout?

edit: btw is there no more avatars for this forum or will they be brought back later?

obonicus

One gives a boost to respect, the other to money. Anyone know which choice is better?

And if I don't destroy it, do I get to keep it as a hideout?

You don't get to keep it as a hideout. I didn't pick the respect bonus, but the money is 10% to money earned. Respect is much easier to generate -- I had a 60% respect bonus by the end of the game, with all upgrades.

Dizzy

Banned
Really disappointed with the character customization. It's very limited, you can't choose how to wear certain things and now everything has quite a cartoony look to it ;_; shame as that was probably one of the best things about SR2.

Only a few missions in so far and I'm being hit with everything that's missing. Hopefully now that the bads out of the way I'll be able to enjoy everything that's new and improved.

Also thisbritish voice is nowhere near as good as it was in SR2.

Jamie OD

Pretty fun game so far (my first SR game) but I'm at the point where every new mission is an introduction to another sidejobs. I was also lucky to find
Professor Genki
right outside The Penthouse at one point and after a long struggle, killed him for a large reward. I think I got $300,000 out of it.

ksimm

Love the game but I wish there was a setting for object draw distance, sometimes it's so poor, with cars popping in way to late. Other than that I'm having a blast, literally. The game has some crazy fire fights, dumb AI but funny as hell.

Also worth a mention is the phone vibration sound when it rings is freakishly real, as are the thunder storms!

UrbanRats

Really disappointed with the character customization. It's very limited, you can't choose how to wear certain things and now everything has quite a cartoony look to it ;_; shame as that was probably one of the best things about SR2.

Best choice ever.
Also true, there's less choice in customization, but the quality of each piece of clothing is far better in quality, so that's the trade off right there.
The thing i'm missing is, instead of the male/female selection present in SR3, the seamless transition there was in SR2, so now i can't have my hippie Jesus with a male structure, but kind of a nice booty to fit his low rise, flared jeans.

edgefusion

Final mission spoiler:
rocket-launchering cars full of Juggalos... er, Luchadores, while singing I Need a Hero by Bonnie Tyler narrowly edged it out.

I just got to that bit and you're absolutely right! So many epic moments in this game, I'm sad all the story missions are over.

Kerrby

Banned
Can someone explain the "Oscar Worthy Gameplay" thing?

I'm guessing it was in an IGN review saying it doesn't have oscar worthy gameplay?

Dizzy

Banned
Can someone explain the "Oscar Worthy Gameplay" thing?

I'm guessing it was in an IGN review saying it doesn't have oscar worthy gameplay?

I'd guess it's a subtle troll to the IGN GTA IV review which said it had an "oscar worthy script" or something.

Came in to see these helicopters snipers are bullshit. lol no human on earth could hold a laser sight that steady.

Shaneus

Despite profile updates, Crossfire still doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly or consistently as when running it off a single card on PC. Fucking over it.

I just got to that bit and you're absolutely right! So many epic moments in this game, I'm sad all the story missions are over.

They seriously need to patch in mission replays if it's possible. There are hundreds of little moments that I'd love to experience again at will, and also to show to potential co-op buddies to get them hungry for mayhem.

obonicus

Beat the game last night 100% took me 32 hours, really enjoyed the game. I got most of the achievements, except for Kuh, Boom., Gender Equality, Jumped In, and the co-op achievements. I need a co-op partner to get the co-op achievements, if anyone wants to play co-op my profile is http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002681227. I wonder which ending they are going to use for the next game?

The
city-state of Steelport
ending seems more 'true' to me. More closure, too, with
you taking out Killbane, Cyrus and utterly wrecking STAG

They seriously need to patch in mission replays if it's possible. There are hundreds of little moments that I'd love to experience again at will, and also to show to potential co-op buddies to get them hungry for mayhem.

I wonder why mission replay isn't in. I'd like to play out a few missions with different faces/voices, or just with all of my end-game superpowers. Maybe it has to do with all the choice structure?

The
city-state of Steelport

I wonder why mission replay isn't in. I'd like to play out a few missions with different faces/voices, or just with all of my end-game superpowers. Maybe it has to do with all the choice structure?

I have seen a grayed out story mission icon for one of the missions I have completed. I am not sure if I can replay it though. Certainly isn't like SR2 with a location to access all your previously played missions though...

Edgeward

The game just went unplayable for me. Finished the mission leading up to a showdown with
KillBane. The mission where you had to destroy the cosino and got the place as a hideout.
Now I come back to it and the game's FPS is in the single digits. I went and updated my drivers and nothing. Still awful on any setting, low or med. This day fucking sucks.

This is really dumb fun, but man, I hate how they treat gangs like cops from gta with a meter and them just constantly coming in in waves being more disrupting than needed. At least early on there's no ridding that meter to stop that swarm of attackers and snipers. Maybe I'm missing the way to get away from them so I can continue along my story mission instead of trying to run through them to hit the next mission point?

Edgeward

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Insurance Fraud. Any tips?

Go to the markings on the map for extra boost in getting adrenaline, that's the key. Once you have adrenaline, you don't even need to hit moving cars. Just launch yourself on to a line of cars and fling yourself to hit each one, it's more important to hit multiple cars than anything else.

This is really dumb fun, but man, I hate how they treat gangs like cops from gta with a meter and them just constantly coming in in waves being more disrupting than needed. At least early on there's no ridding that meter to stop that swarm of attackers and snipers. Maybe I'm missing the way to get away from them so I can continue along my story mission instead of trying to run through them to hit the next mission point?
Entering your crib or a property you own will instantly get rid of any wanted levels you have.
When you start the activity, check your map and head for the largest street/intersection with the adrenaline bonus area. When you get there, just start throwing yourself into the fastest moving traffic and the bigger cars/trucks as well. Try to get hit by as many cars as you can per ragdoll as well. Earning that adrenaline is the key and will really help you to rack up the cash. Just remember to always use RT/LT to throw yourself into the ragdoll, just getting hit by cars without ragdoll won't earn you nearly as much money.

If in doubt, get one of us to help show you how it is done in co-op. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there a way to track the 'Stay Classy Steelport' achievement? Neither of the weapon kills show up in stats or challenges

MYeager

See car coming, jump and then ragdoll. Try to hit the car behind it if possible. Should easily pass it this way.

I beat it. There were some good moments, but too much of the main story mode was activity tutorials, and there's just too much I enjoyed from the last game that was removed from this one. So many of the missions just walking through a building shooting guys was boring. It took me 12 hours to get 75% completion, which took 26 hours for me in Saint's Row 2.

I don't see what the point is of some of the crazy weapons in the game when they're not really designed to be used in the missions. It would've been fun if they had a mission revolving around the jet-bike. Driving is improved but there is no racing activity in the game and you barely need to drive for the missions. I'd have more fun screwing around in the world if the city wasn't so dull and if the pedestrian interactions were better.

Teknoman

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The
city-state of Steelport

I really hope it isnt, despite it being so awesome because of the first part, the fact that
Shaundi and Viola are now dead
is a major bummer and the sole reason I hope its not canon. I mean just the way that they
killed off Johnny Gat in the manner that they did was already bad enough, but to then also kill off Shaundi too
is just depressing.

On another note, while the game is amazing and I loved every minute of it and plan to have many more hours of fun in it, I am on the whole unimpressed by the city of Steelport. Its all too samey without much of a personality, none of the areas really feel that distinct, compared to Stillwater which had a really diverse landscape to it.

Top Bottom