• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Reikon

Rank 50 right now with infinite ammo for every gun, basically invincible (no bullet/explosive/vehicle/fall damage), instant reload, can have gang members drop off helicopters, tanks, jets, etc. Feels good to cause havoc and just be unstoppable.

Yeah, I really like SR for making me super crazy powerful at the end. For games with RPG elements, I actually prefer an inverse difficulty curve. Getting stronger while the enemy gets equally stronger seems pointless. I want to just absolutely destroy the enemy later in the game.

whats the song that the two main characters were singing along to in the car at the beginning(ish) of the game called?

I heard it about 10 years ago and have been trying to find it since

OMFG

This game just gained MAD CRED!! So I was in the apartment after loading up, when I heard a REALLY familiar song. One of my faves from a certain artist, in fact. I actually freaked the fuck out because I thought the game was scanning my hard drives and using my music!!!

Imagine my surprise as I rushed to google and discovered The Dear Hunter - In Cauda Venenum IS ON THE GODDAMN SOUNDTRACK.

Thank you Volition, so so much. They're not mainstream at all and to be featured in the game is a huge success for Casey Crescenzo. AWESOME!

got to one of the last missions
saving shaundi, the race, and the fight up the statue there with "I need a Hero", playing....
bravo Volition, I had a huge ass grin on my face the whole time, and fuck anyone who scoffs at that mission, find a new hobby. SO AWESOME :D

That's like saying Big Rigs driving is better than GT5.

don't worry there are some cars in the game that control like the titantic, gta4 drivers should be satiated.

Need Kinzie dating sim

the voice actress is cute also.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1130176/

OMFG

This game just gained MAD CRED!!

I originally thought this post was going to be about this:

dAWNF.jpg

Edgeward

What are you running? I have two 5850s and found after the latest driver & CAP that with vsync, it varied from 60 to 30 to frequently less than that. If you disable crossfire, it will happily sit on a flat 30fps with near-zero slowdown. It's not 60fps but it's constant and is quite playable.

Frustrated that I have to do that but it works, so I'm not completely pissed.

Oh no no, my comp is much more modest than that. Dual core, HD5670. So crossfire is not the issue. Hopefully Volition does know later on.

Also, I was stunned to find out about the voice actors in this game
Hulk Hogan as Angel! Never guessed it till I read the credits and then hearing his voice after I could not believe I didn't pick it up earlier. Also Rob Van Dam as Bobby. But, who the fuck is Bobby?

This game has the best use of licensed music. Never thought I would listen to
I need a Hero
on the last mission,

It even spreads to the comments of the video lol They are spoiler-filled comments fyi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

Ploid 3.0

got to one of the last missions .... bravo Volition, I had a huge ass grin on my face the whole time, and fuck anyone who scoffs at that mission, find a new hobby. SO AWESOME :D

don't worry there are some cars in the game that control like the titantic, gta4 drivers should be satiated.

the voice actress is cute also.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1130176/

I started playing a few of the missions to unlock more stuff and I found myself sporting a huge grin on my face a lot through some of them. I actually can't wait to get home to play some more of the missions.

Qatar

I've been playing this game non stop, I can't remember the last time I played this much for a game. Now the whole city is 100%, still have left 3 main mission and a few collectibles.
I still don't know why there isn't other similar games that implement coop for the whole games, Coop experience is really awesome, SR and Crackdown are the only ones I remember.

I started playing a few of the missions to unlock more stuff and I found myself sporting a huge grin on my face a lot through some of them. I actually can't wait to get home to play some more of the missions.

seriously the mission im talking about its like HOLY SHIT! *CHEEZY GRIN* for mission.

george_us

Volition reminds me a lot like a Japanese developer with the way they commit to their ideas. They don't have the polish, of course, but I'll be damned if they don't fully flesh out their ideas. The final mission felt like something you'd see from Shinji Mikami or Hideki Kamiya.

Dizzy

Banned
So I'm driving along and I come across a gang activity or something. About 10 people stood around, not too bad. I get out and start shooting them and then more and more cars keep pulling up until there's about 30 enemies around there. You kill a few and more cars spawn in instantly at every angle so it's hard to find cover. That alone I could deal with as SR2 was like that, but then there's those fucking helicopter snipers which take the piss. You're meant to hide from other enemies and recharge your health while at the same time dodging those snipers? then just for laughs the game throws in two of thise big bald guys.

So I'm trying to take cover from the 30 enemies around me at every angle shooting me, the helicopters snipers and their Terminator-level accuracy, whilst at the same time running away from some big juggernaut guy throwing me around like a ragdoll.

There's good hard and then there's cheap shitty game hard and I'm sorry but SR3 is the latter. My game hasn't even arrived yet (thanks zavvi) so I'm borrowing my brothers which means no co-op yet to even things out.

Volition reminds me a lot like a Japanese developer with the way they commit to their ideas. They don't have the polish, of course, but I'll be damned if they don't fully flesh out their ideas. The final mission felt like something you'd see from Shinji Mikami or Hideki Kamiya.

The
Mars
mission or
Daedalus
mission? I'm guessing the latter.

So I'm driving along......

You're doing it wrong. VTOL or hoverbike is the way to go.

Huggy

I just went a cross with another instance where they talk about events that happened in Stillwater. Seriously, are they going to explain what happened in DLC or something?
It feels like I'm missing out on some major plot component.

Megasoum

Banned
Quick question, is it normal that I keep lossing my weapon/ammo between missions?

I fill everything up at Friendly fire before starting a mission. Once that mission is completed and I start another one I loose my rifle andmost of my bullets... And no, I didn't empty them during the mission... It's just weird, they keep vanishing.

Ugh, looks like Volition may be getting my monies twice. Contemplating getting the PS3 version now.
It runs fine on my laptop but it also makes it SCREAM (fans are on full-whirl, all the time)

I hate it =(

benjipwns

Banned
I just went a cross with another instance where they talk about events that happened in Stillwater. Seriously, are they going to explain what happened in DLC or something?
It feels like I'm missing out on some major plot component.
From what I read. The intro mission is supposedly set in Stilwater. And the fight with/in the plane is on the way to Steelport.

A later cutscene happens in Stilwater as well. After which you come back to Steelport.

Other than those two instances everything else I remember mentioning Stilwater were events from the first two games.

Edgeward

Ugh, looks like Volition may be getting my monies twice. Contemplating getting the PS3 version now.
It runs fine on my laptop but it also makes it SCREAM (fans are on full-whirl, all the time)

I hate it =(

Same boat here. If I see a ps3 copy cheap, I might have to get it.

Fox318

Just beat the game.

The presentation and the pacing are much better than in past games but I still think Stillwater in Saints Row 2 was the best. Throwing items, ladders that worked, different human shield kill options. None of the Fuzz or fire missions. So many things they didn't have from the previous game.

I enjoyed it but Saints Row 2 is still my favorite. Also why is there a need to kill characters off in the Saints Row games?

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure it's been said over and over again, but using the latest drivers gave me performance boosts in this like it was 2001 or something.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
A later cutscene happens in Stilwater as well. After which you come back to Steelport.
It's even called out in that cutscene as being in Stillwater, you just have to pay attention. If you've played enough of the earlier games, the location itself should look very familiar.

Just beat the game.

The presentation and the pacing are much better than in past games but I still think Stillwater in Saints Row 2 was the best. Throwing items, ladders that worked, different human shield kill options. None of the Fuzz or fire missions. So many things they didn't have from the previous game.

I enjoyed it but Saints Row 2 is still my favorite. Also why is there a need to kill characters off in the Saints Row games?

yeah I liked the gameplay and the missions near the end had alot of holy shit fun moments, but as a whole Id rate SR 2 ahead of 3, but neither are bad. SR2 i think was a case of they had the base stuff in and could just build on it all. SR3 was a new town etc in 3 years, thats a bit short of time.

I'll probably double dip on sr2 when it hits 5 bucks again since I built a new pc and itll run somewhat ok....(hopefully). Still ill buy the dlc if its good, ill be pissed if its obviously shit they had to cut but I'll hiss at THQ and not volition for that.

benjipwns

Banned
2 runs fine on some hardware even if older, not so great on others, and has weird stutters on almost everything. Brute-forcing didn't seem to work at release, but who knows maybe we can finally handle it.

I believe it's ambient occlusion that destroys the frame rate for almost everyone in 2.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
After playing the first two missions over 5 times already, I finally decided to pick Laura Bailey voice ( and go with a female) over Troy Baker.

AIaiQ.gif

@ZombieSupaStar
Gentlemen of the Row super mod fix SR2 port and make it run very well.

Huggy

From what I read. The intro mission is supposedly set in Stilwater. And the fight with/in the plane is on the way to Steelport.

Other than those two instances everything else I remember mentioning Stilwater were events from the first two games.

It's even called out in that cutscene as being in Stillwater, you just have to pay attention. If you've played enough of the earlier games, the location itself should look very familiar.

I haven't seen a cutscene that takes place in Stillwater. All I got was
a cutscene where the Saints are on a bridge and getting attacked after killing Loren and taking over his clone lab
I suppose the cutscene you're talking about is to happen in between?

benjipwns

Banned
I'm still lost then. What about
Gatt's funeral? What happened there
?
Happened off camera. I assume that's part of why they went back to Stilwater.

Apparently all the short cutscenes and stuff is due to them having a new engine, new assets and a new cinematic team in less time than it took to make the first game so they couldn't do things at the level of 2.

Top Bottom