• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Hey I just got to the first choice in the game..............EDIT.........

One gives a boost to respect, the other to money. Anyone know which choice is better?

And if I don't destroy it, do I get to keep it as a hideout?

edit: btw is there no more avatars for this forum or will they be brought back later?

It's probably a good choice to spoiler tag that kind of info.

Edgeward

Well going to dx9 seems to make it playable but it's not as good as when doing dx10/11. =\

Really not sure what to do now. Other games run fine, like Witcher 2. Just all of a sudden this popped up.

gdt

Hmm, the mixed reaction is bumming me out a bit.

I've never played Saints Row....bah. I'll pick it up a little cheaper.

How is the pc version? I read about AMD issues...?

Edgeward

Did already and defragged. Still happened. D=

I'm gonna just redownload it and see if that magically clears it all up. Even if I'm so close to finishing it at 93% I want to end it as good of a performance as I have been doing it and not this mess.

obonicus

I'm not sure there's much of a mixed reaction. Some people like it less than SR2, but still like it. Only a couple don't like it at all, and one of them I don't think had intended to like it since the game was announced.

This is my first Saints Row game and it's really fun, but there are a few aggravations that seem like obvious flaws they should have known better about (waves of enemies, no mid-mission checkpoints (at least in this Guardian story mission I'm doing), most story missions are tutorials for side missions, no mapping of main missions until you've already selected it). I say those and still have been playing non-stop today. Nothing has been bad, just questionable, and it could just be my lack of experience with the series too. There are too many 'This is absolutely dumb and great!' moments to be actively annoyed though, for me at least. And my gripe early about gang meter staying up seems to be taken care of after a little more playing, so that'll be good too.

obonicus

This is my first Saints Row game and it's really fun, but there are a few aggravations that seem like obvious flaws they should have known better about (waves of enemies, no mid-mission checkpoints (at least in this Guardian story mission I'm doing), most story missions are tutorials for side missions, no mapping of main missions until you've already selected it). I say those and still have been playing non-stop today. Nothing has been bad, just questionable, and it could just be my lack of experience with the series too. There are too many 'This is absolutely dumb and great!' moments to be actively annoyed though, for me at least. And my gripe early about gang meter staying up seems to be taken care of after a little more playing, so that'll be good too.

That's the problem with putting activities in as story missions. SR has pretty good checkpointing, but activities aren't checkpointed at all.

Teknoman

I'm not sure there's much of a mixed reaction. Some people like it less than SR2, but still like it. Only a couple don't like it at all, and one of them I don't think had intended to like it since the game was announced.

I like it much more than the first 2 (granted I only played a little of 2, but from what I played it didnt seem anywhere as smooth as 3). Game looks good, and the weapon graphics/explosions really look good/pack a punch. as far as AMD issues, not everyone is having severe problems, but performance could be better all around.

obonicus

I like it much more than the first 2 (granted I only played a little of 2, but from what I played it didnt seem anywhere as smooth as 3). Game looks good, and the weapon graphics/explosions really look good/pack a punch. as far as AMD issues, not everyone is having severe problems, but performance could be better all around.

Oh, yeah, I like SR3 a lot more. There's stuff I miss from SR2, and I do hope that SR4 uses this engine (and maybe city) to build more content for the game, more of a SR1->SR2 shift.

Bozzard

Neo Member
Got 6970 here, and not a single problem in DX10/11 game runs smoothly.

Also i must say, the game is FUCK*NG AMAZING (also hilarious)

WiCkEd_Co

loving this game, I got it on Tuesday after 5pm and log about 25 hours in 4 days. Seems every spare minute I get I jump on. I'm about 93% complete

Sean

Banned
Fucking love this game. Have just crossed the 30 hour mark and still have a bunch to do.

Rank 50 right now with infinite ammo for every gun, basically invincible (no bullet/explosive/vehicle/fall damage), instant reload, can have gang members drop off helicopters, tanks, jets, etc. Feels good to cause havoc and just be unstoppable.

Amagon

I think I'm done with this game after beating it and did every activity there is. Gonna play again til the next dlc missions arrive. Fun game and all but I got so many games to catch up. Next up, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Totally want to get this game because of the sublime sing along videos, haha. yeah, I'm a tool. =p

Anyone know how it will run on a gts250 1GB, 4GB of ram and Quad? I'm playing Skyrim on High after downloading some .dll forged with sorcery, but my initial settings before that were all hella low at 720p.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I'm done with this game after beating it and did every activity there is. Gonna play again til the next dlc missions arrive. Fun game and all but I got so many games to catch up. Next up, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I was thinking about this earlier. I bought the season pass because I love me some open world crime, but I was thinking.. Do I keep all my stuff for the dlc? Because I'm level 50. AKA i'm invincible and have infinite ammo

MYeager

I'd certainly wait till later, or a GOTY version. Even if you get the pre-order bonus and buy the Season Pass, there's DLC, and at 316kb download, that's stuff that's on the disk.

If you've never played Saints Row, get the second. It's better than this and cheap now. Just don't get SR2 for the PC.

I wasn't feeling this game at first (despite being a huge SR1 & 2 fan) but Oh My God I'm feeling it now.

Just grabbed one of those military bulldogs and pimped it out. Got a dominatrix manning the turret and I'm destroying cars by t-boning them while burning nitrous.

Also I whistled for a homie and he freaking flew from his car into the backseat of my car. Fuck yes.

iammeiam

So far the game feels like a streamlined and polished version of SR2--better in places, but not really adding anything new. Still fun!

Although, fucking Pierce. Just did the Learning Computer mission, which turned into
a desperate race to shoot out the tires before his dumb ass exploded the truck.

4 hours in. Definitely the best in the series. Shooting is so smooth and I love the little details like spawning a parachute on your back if you randomly decide to jump off the rooftop of your crib.

mxgt

Banned
It's the best in the series to me just because the shooting and driving is vastly improved. Combat is so much fun

Sweet Jesus the things they've put into this game. I'm avoiding reading all the spoilers, and that's probably a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the missions.

Also, once you get that vehicle, the
VTOL MOTHAFU2462KING JET
, it is just barrels of laffs right there. Also, I found out that tapping RB twice in an aircraft makes you do a barrel roll.

Awesome job, Volition, well done. Take a bow.

PS: You should kick THQ in the nuts (or a flying DDT) for making you take apart parts of the game and sell it as DLC though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's the best in the series to me just because the shooting and driving is vastly improved. Combat is so much fun

Same here. The customization options and side activities are a little lacking compared to the last, but the activities were never that fun in the first place, and I'll take the better graphics/characters fitting in with their world over that any day. Also, the gunplay being a lot better and the unlocks being sillier
the tron SMGs in particular

Edgeward

I wasn't feeling this game at first (despite being a huge SR1 & 2 fan) but Oh My God I'm feeling it now.

Just grabbed one of those military bulldogs and pimped it out. Got a dominatrix manning the turret and I'm destroying cars by t-boning them while burning nitrous.

Also I whistled for a homie and he freaking flew from his car into the backseat of my car. Fuck yes.

In one of the missions when you piloted a Jet, there were 2 jets and my homie commandeered the other. And he was quite effective piloting that thing for a ninja.

I finished it under dx9 settings and 720p after previously enjoying it in 1080 and dx10. Sigh.

Game endings went pretty out of there way to not shortchange themselves, both were satisfying in there own ways.

Really wish there was a replay missions option like in Ballad of Gay Tony. Would love to do some missions again with my bullet/explosion damage immune character.

SMG with incendiary ammo and pistols with exploding bullets are OP when dual wielded. The pistols especially were the most effective taking down vehicles over any non rocket weapon.

Encountered some bugs that annoyed me. Once I finished the last story mission I lost all upgrades on my laser rifle and trying any trafficking mission would disregard my choice of pistols and give me the mag-lite pistols instead. Also having waypoints exist on the map with no way to remove them when setting up custom waypoints is stupid annoying.

Would love to get the season pass once they patch this game up and hopefully cure my performance woes.

ctrayne

Just finished the main plot. Most of the complaints I've seen in here just don't resonate with me at all. The game is great, the city is great, everything is great. The game has so much heart and soul. My only problem, and this makes me want to cry, is
JOHNNY GAT WTF WHY ARE YOU DEAD :( Best character is the series.
Can't get over it.

Ploid 3.0

I gotta make some progress in these missions. Reading about all of the unlocks and stuff makes me want them now.

I didn't realize there was no replay missions option in this game. Big blunder there, replaying missions was another awesome feature in SR2.

Shaneus

Well going to dx9 seems to make it playable but it's not as good as when doing dx10/11. =\

Really not sure what to do now. Other games run fine, like Witcher 2. Just all of a sudden this popped up.
What are you running? I have two 5850s and found after the latest driver & CAP that with vsync, it varied from 60 to 30 to frequently less than that. If you disable crossfire, it will happily sit on a flat 30fps with near-zero slowdown. It's not 60fps but it's constant and is quite playable.

Frustrated that I have to do that but it works, so I'm not completely pissed.

http://deckers.die was the moment in the game where the game finally clicked for me. It was pretty meh up until that point.

Also, for Insurance Fraud, in desperation of not wanting to fail an instance of it, I noticed that when the timer hits 0, if you keep clicking to put yourself in ragdoll constantly, you'll slowly but surely get the score goal. I guess the idea is that if the timer hits 0 while you're in the middle of the combo, it won't cut you off. I only had to do this once, so it may not be repeatable, but something to keep in mind if you are in that situation.

Top Bottom