• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

legbone

But I'd say give SR2 another chance.

you know, i would really like to but i bet i will have a hard time taking a step backwards after playing the third. but i have read that the second game does some things better than the third so who knows. but i have a feeling the graphics whore in me will not be able to do it.

If you guys are new users to OnLive, you can buy this game for $1 starting at 7pm EST for about 5 days. This actually goes for any first purchase. However, if you never tried the service before, I would highly recommend testing the service out before buying stuff.

http://onlivefans.com/news/onlive-t...faction-armageddon-75-off-sales-1-games/5113/
$1 or £1 Games For New OnLive Users OnLive held a similar promotion for UK gamers during the EuroGamer Expo in September, and then for US gamers a few weeks later. They are doing it again. New users will be able to get their first OnLive game for only $1 (US) or £1 (UK) (while supplies last). This includes all the hot new releases such as Batman: Arkham City, Saint’s Row: The Third , L.A. Noire, and Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
More details will be made available at www.onlive.com/go/fragfeast and www.onlive.co.uk/go/fragfeast, once the promotion goes live.

Fox318

you know, i would really like to but i bet i will have a hard time taking a step backwards after playing the third. but i have read that the second game does some things better than the third so who knows. but i have a feeling the graphics whore in me will not be able to do it.

Aside from driving controls, running combat moves, and entering a car through a window you should have no problem.

SR2 is a more diverse game.

SimonM7

Actually, going back to replay SR2 is a taller order than I could possibly have imagined. The controls are pretty naff compared. Awkwardly clicking the right stick to toggle your - incidentally quite sluggish - aim and snapping between three set movement speeds is only the beginning, but somehow probably the most damning. It's funny because back when it came out its controls was one of its most significant steps up over every other GTA derived open world game.

It does have a vastly more coherent narrative that manages quite a few memorable and surprisingly subtle story beats and characterisations, and in terms of sheer content it feels fuller. That's not to say I necessarily ended up spending more TIME with 2 than 3, I think in that regard - and especially if you pursue a second playthrough for the branching bits for 3 - they are quite level, ultimately.

But Saints Row 3 gets the important stuff right, and viewed purely as a video game it is astonishingly successful. It plays considerably better than its predecessors, happily stomping into genuinely great action/shooter territory, has zero mind numbing filler stuff (which parts of 2 definitely amount to) and haphazard storytelling notwithstanding has a wholly satisfying structure, gameplay progression/arc and a brilliant finish.

The reasons for why you'd play Saints Row in addition to/instead of GTA are here in fullest effect, and the things 2 did better essentially overlap with GTA's appeal. If you look at it that way, the missing bits may be disappointing when highlighted, but they're somewhat peripheral to the fundamental experience you're came to this game looking for.

This post digressed some. What I meant to say was SR2 plays worse than SR3 to a degree I definitely didn't recall and wasn't prepared for. I wonder if there's any chance of the PC version getting re-jigged with SR3 controls by way of the modding community.

NIN90

"A chainsaw!! WHAT THE FUCK?!"

That was so perfect.

Really, these missions leading up to the end have been the high point of the game. I hope the DLC will be similar.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Actually, going back to replay SR2 is a taller order than I could possibly have imagined. The controls are pretty naff compared. Awkwardly clicking the right stick to toggle your - incidentally quite sluggish - aim and snapping between three set movement speeds is only the beginning, but somehow probably the most damning. It's funny because back when it came out its controls was one of its most significant steps up over every other GTA derived open world game.

It does have a vastly more coherent narrative that manages quite a few memorable and surprisingly subtle story beats and characterisations, and in terms of sheer content it feels fuller. That's not to say I necessarily ended up spending more TIME with 2 than 3, I think in that regard - and especially if you pursue a second playthrough for the branching bits for 3 - they are quite level, ultimately.

It's just as returned to play older games, you will have that uncomfortable feeling because of the outdated controls and graphics, but this is really non issue after few mins, for an example I returned to San Andreas last year, after 10 mins of hard times because of the controls ( and graphics) I get used to it again,so Legbone ( and any one else) can differently return to SR2 later even that The Third is years and years above it in gameplay,graphics and controls, again it's just like playing your old games ( unless you never do that ever).

SimonM7

It's just as returned to play older games, you will have that uncomfortable feeling because of the outdated controls and graphics, but this is really non issue after few mins, for an example I returned to San Andreas last year, after 10 mins of hard times because of the controls ( and graphics) I get used to it again,so Legbone ( and any one else) can differently return to SR2 later even that The Third is years and years above it in gameplay,graphics and controls, again it's just like playing your old games ( unless you never do that ever).

Sure, there's a degree of adjusting to any older game, but it's frankly quite rare for a game's core to evolve that significantly in one entry. If you go back to Assassin's Creed 1 you have the same fundamental *feel* in place, and a scaled back moveset is an easy enough adjustment. The fact that I originally happily played SR2 is a standing testament to my ability to roll with it, so I'm not suggesting it's impossible to do so now, but I'll maintain that a large chunk - a majority chunk perhaps - of what makes SR3 as enjoyable as it is will effectively disappear upon going back a single franchise entry, which is fairly uncommon in these iterating times.

Ok so I was playing, so I called Shaundi as a companion. I was killed and the game said she fall in combat. No her name is grayed out in the telephone and I cant call her anymore.

Is this temporaly or she is dead/ununsable for the rest of the game?

If thats the case I think I will need to restart of some far saved game :(

legbone

man am i glad i picked this up. so far this game has been more over the top than anything i have played all year. and i'm only an hour and a half in. this game is fucking nuts in all the right ways. for the first time in years i have created a female character to play with. there is just something about whipping dudes asses as a blonde with pigtails. so much fun. the hand to hand combat is so good. and the shooting feels great. damn, my backlog is getting out of control. between this and skyrim i really don't see myself finishing any of the other 10 or so games i bought in the last three months. oh well.

Ok so I was playing, so I called Shaundi as a companion. I was killed and the game said she fall in combat. No her name is grayed out in the telephone and I cant call her anymore.

Is this temporaly or she is dead/ununsable for the rest of the game?

If thats the case I think I will need to restart of some far saved game :(

Should be temporary. Give it like, half an hour maybe.

man am i glad i picked this up. so far this game has been more over the top than anything i have played all year. and i'm only an hour and a half in. this game is fucking nuts in all the right ways. for the first time in years i have created a female character to play with. there is just something about whipping dudes asses as a blonde with pigtails. so much fun. the hand to hand combat is so good. and the shooting feels great. damn, my backlog is getting out of control. between this and skyrim i really don't see myself finishing any of the other 10 or so games i bought in the last three months. oh well.
Awesome, glad you're digging it. It only gets crazier from there, the opening is really quite tame compared to where it goes later.

Edgeward

Hey even though the new patch shouldn't have fixed my pc woes with dx10. IT TOTALLY DID! WOOT! Now I can finish up some loose ends, maybe I should even start a new game co-op with someone.

Shaneus

Hey even though the new patch shouldn't have fixed my pc woes with dx10. IT TOTALLY DID! WOOT! Now I can finish up some loose ends, maybe I should even start a new game co-op with someone.
Are there more fixes listed for the patch other than the mention of improved reflection performance?

Has someone here also got shaundi killed in the game and then could contact here later in the game to follow you again?
Please respond, I dont want to play more if I need to restart the game :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has someone here also got shaundi killed in the game and then could contact here later in the game to follow you again?
Have you played a story mission where she's involved? Maybe that'll get her phone access to reset.

Shaneus

I'm able to get about 25-50fps on my 5850s with the CAP2's and the new patch. It's playable now, at least.
Crossfired? Is that better than what you could get before? I was able to get a flat 30 with CFX disabled prior to the patch (but using the most recent full and even beta Catalysts/CAPs) but with both cards running it was a dog's breakfast.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crossfired? Is that better than what you could get before? I was able to get a flat 30 with CFX disabled prior to the patch (but using the most recent full and even beta Catalysts/CAPs) but with both cards running it was a dog's breakfast.
Before I got 10-30fps outdoors and it was stuttery. If I wasn't spoiled by getting a locked 60fps in just about every PC game I own I wouldn't be complaining about 30-50fps.

d1rtn4p

Well, after finishing it, I still don't think its as good as SR1/2, but it's still a great game overall. The single player missions really made up for the lack of variety and personality this game had. Would have to put it up there next to Skyrim as my game of the year.

Have you played a story mission where she's involved? Maybe that'll get her phone access to reset.

This is a good point. It probably is tied to the story for some weird reason. Like maybe they dont want you running around with her, and then be on the phone with her at the same time.

I really wouldn't worry about it, SPR.

vaelic

Banned
having an issue with my madcatz controller. Even after calibrating the controller in windows, the left analog still will sometimes continue to scroll things down while in game.

i.e. if im in the menus, it scrolls through all the options on its own. If I am in the street, my guy walks down on his own.

how do I fix this?

Dead Man

She has to be available for story elements later in the game, so it would not make any sense if she was dead now. I would say she will be fine, I think the phone just takes ages to reset sometimes. I couldn't call up my vtol for almost a day a while ago.

Edgeward

Works great on nvidia, varies on ATI. I got my 5670 working just fine on 1080 on medium settings. Not completely smooth when driving real fast but everything else is pretty great.

obonicus

Have you tried leaving the game and reentering? I got into a fight with Oleg and Kinzie, and shot one of my named homies to death as a test, and they were grayed out for a long time, but when I saved, quit and re-entered they were available again.

Have you tried leaving the game and reentering? I got into a fight with Oleg and Kinzie, and shot one of my named homies to death as a test, and they were grayed out for a long time, but when I saved, quit and re-entered they were available again.

Yeak that was it!
A million thanks!

So yep, it seems you need to restart the game, not even loading (from the same session) works.

Sean

Banned
Is there a good way to farm the gang taunts after completing the game and doing pretty much everything? I only have 2 of the 50 necessary taunts needed to complete that challenge.

Since I have 100% control of the city there are no gang members walking the streets anymore to taunt. Am I fucked?

SimonM7

Shaundi's telephone is still in black after playing some hours :(
I dont think is temporary.

As I was saying earlier, it's a bug. It has to be. Oleg's been grayed out since the first quarter-ish of the game for me. I've finished it, both endings, and now I'm just roaming and Oleg is still gray.

It's unfortunate, because I sorta feel like I'm always risking losing people if I call them. Of course, not ever calling them I might aswell have.

So, finished the game with the
Let killbane escape and save shaundi and viola
ending and plan to do the other ending at a later date. I suppose it was pretty good didnt finish the first game but i know what happens and i finished SR2 glad i didnt get the season pass dont think ill be playing any more of it soon ill pick the DLC up when its in the sale.

I felt very limited by the customization options, hairstyles and clothing seemed to take a big hit. 6 different hoodies but no normal looking hairstyles ect.

This had the weakest gangs the deckers where good but the luchadors and the morningstar felt really flat, Ronin, Sons of Samedi and The brotherhood all felt much more fleshed out.

The end all wrapped up pretty quick, after the deckers section the game took a huge hit and just rushed me to the end.

Ending spoiler
The mars section was utter crap aswell i can see what they attempted but it stinks of them trying to be funny like yours mates "cool" dad who is just a washed up looser.

Much of SR3 feels like to me, some of the story telling in areas is genuinly good but its always spoilt by them throwing something so stupid and crazy in and people just accepting it because SR is always crazy.

I dunno id say i enjoyed the story or SR2 much more but in terms of gameplay SR3 is a better game.

Hopefully SR4 nails it and strikes a balance between good gangs and story and good gameplay

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's nice to see/hear that a lot of reviewers seem to be surprised/refreshed by the absurdity of pure gameplay. None of this stuff makes sense, but since it's a video game, it really doesn't matter.

On the Bombcast, Gerstmann jokingly said that SR3 is a compelling argument for "games as art", but I actually think he might be onto something.

Dead Man

It's nice to see/hear that a lot of reviewers seem to be surprised/refreshed by the absurdity of pure gameplay. None of this stuff makes sense, but since it's a video game, it really doesn't matter.

On the Bombcast, Gerstmann jokingly said that SR3 is a compelling argument for "games as art", but I actually think he might be onto something.

The return of Dada!

Volition should be supported for this game, they made an amazing experience and a great release for the PC.

Fixed that for you. THQ have reached new levels of crapness this year.

jgminto

Did anyone else notice the
reference to the Brotherhood Leader's girlfriend in the initial STAG speech?
I love shit like that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Volition and THQ should be supported for this game, they made an amazing experience and a great release for the PC.

yeah..all I can say is that Volition deserve more love and also they deserve a better publisher than a shitty one like THQ,but unfortunately they are owned by THQ.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jgminto said:
Did anyone else notice the
reference to the Brotherhood Leader's girlfriend in the initial STAG speech?
I love shit like that.
Yup. I remember doing that very mission as that happened actually.

Dead Man said:
The return of Dada!
This game is certainly absurd/surreal. lol

SimonM7

Much of SR3 feels like to me, some of the story telling in areas is genuinly good but its always spoilt by them throwing something so stupid and crazy in and people just accepting it because SR is always crazy.

I wouldn't necessarily say the stupid and crazy stuff is the reason the narrative is weak. I think you can have both, you just need to bridge the crazy and the grounded better as to not lose traction completely when you do something emotionally resonant. Perhaps those are lofty terms to use, but I genuinely think Saints Row 2 had some weight to it occasionally. Like, for instance, the Jessica scene referenced in this game.

I think you can have both, but the storytelling in 3 almost feels like it's missing parts. I'm not stupid (at least I'd like to think so) but I honestly didn't realise some things had actually happened in SR3 until way later when I was like oh.. so.. that happened? Many elements of the story are off camera and alluded to in the way a poorly written budget movie would, and that's not the only thing making some things appear out of nowhere without context or setup.

Alternating between the two modes of storytelling can be done, and SR2 and 3 both clearly demonstrate that the writers do have the writing chops and knack for subtlety. 3 just seems a bit disjointed and rushed, and I trust they can get it back on track if they put their minds to it, zany bits et all.

Let's just hope there's no character casualty on the level of Shaundi in the next game. Boy did they transform her into Generic McAngry Gangsterbitchson.

Um. That's sort of a guy's name soooo... let's go with Genericfer McAngry Gangsterbitchson.

So I beat the game and LOVED it. Sadly though I got hit with an acheivement glitch and don't have most of them. Even basic ones like beating the campaign. Hope this gets fixed.

ctrayne

Playtime is up to 27 hours for me, loving it to death even after the campaign. The Spectre allows for a lot of freedom, it's very fun to just fly around town, especially at low altitudes near the streets.

SimonM7

I wonder if maxing out your level/upgrades will break the upcoming DLC, or if that will be capped like some of the missions are, with set ammo et cetera. I'd prolly roll a new character before the DLC stuff hits if I'm just gonna tear through it with my blinding, godlike powers otherwise.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder if maxing out your level/upgrades will break the upcoming DLC, or if that will be capped like some of the missions are, with set ammo et cetera. I'd prolly roll a new character before the DLC stuff hits if I'm just gonna tear through it with my blinding, godlike powers otherwise.

I maxed out all upgrades about 2/3rs of the way through the story and before I bothered with a lot of the activities - it made finishing all of those a TON easier, obviously.

Edgeward

One of the assassination missions was frustrating me, I had to find an ugly ho and hold her hostage. But she never spawned! Only the regular ugly fat non-hos kept appearing. Eventually after 30 minutes of running around I moved on. Hopefully next time I attempt it they will give me the damn right person for me to hold up.

jgminto

One of the assassination missions was frustrating me, I had to find an ugly ho and hold her hostage. But she never spawned! Only the regular ugly fat non-hos kept appearing. Eventually after 30 minutes of running around I moved on. Hopefully next time I attempt it they will give me the damn right person for me to hold up.

I just grabbed a normal ho and it seemed to work.

Top Bottom