• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Shaneus

What happens when you disable one 5850?
I have two 5850s and a quad core CPU (Q9550). With vsync on, the two cards will max out at about 60-70% usage and wildly fluctuate b/w 60 and 30fps, sometimes even lower than that. With a single card, it will use 100% of that GPU but the framerate will be a perfectly flat 30. That's how I'm playing it for the time being because at least that's consistent. With two cards, I'd consider it unplayable.

This is using the Catalyst 11.11 (not 11.11a) drivers and CAP2 profiles (with apparently "improved Crossfire performance" for SR3), though I'll be trying the leaked 12.1 drivers tonight with the CAP2 profiles to see if it's any better.

I’m surprisingly impressed by Saints Row The Third. I grabbed the PS3 version yesterday after going back and forth over it since last week. I was never the biggest fan of this franchise, as it seemed like like little more than a “up-resed” rip on last generation GTAs. I really think that they’ve hit their stride third time in by fully embracing the idea of just letting gamers go wild. I especially love the implementation of the Modern Warfare-ish weaponry right off the get go! The shooting seems tighter than before and makes just messing around a lot more fun. My only small gripe thus far is that it doesn't seem like they've fixed the vehicle handling. Handling is far from smooth and generally feels quite janky – hopefully this improves with car customization.

All in all though, well done Volition! This might very well be the most fun I’ve had with a sandbox game in a loooong time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Here was part of my co-op adventures last night.

-BLITZ-

Hey, what's going on. The story game is finished and I can't call Viola or Shaundi now. No girls on the playground; maybe Shaundi can be busy but Viola too ? I had this issue with SR2 as well; everyone was busy for ever after hours of playing. Even Pierce is busy; Oleg as well. Only Zimos & Kinzi are coming from time to time. I want the girls back and the most Viola.
If in both games this issue still persist is considered a bug. I hope some upcoming patch will fix this, if any patch will come.

Mickiscoole

Neo Member
BLITZ, Have you done the finale mission twice (And chosen the other ending)? I heard somewhere that they're technically tied up until the finale is finished a second time

How can you do missions twice?

This sounds like good news, if true, not sure I'm up for a second playthrough but want to see some alternative choices.

SimonM7

I'm pretty sure the greyed out/busy Homies thing is a bug. Oleg's been grayed out since like.. the first quarter of the game for me.

I also seem to have another weird problem. The Luchadores territory is stuck at 96% and while it says I've done 7/8 gang operations, the last one doesn't appear on the map. What gives? :O

saunderez

I also seem to have another weird problem. The Luchadores territory is stuck at 96% and while it says I've done 7/8 gang operations, the last one doesn't appear on the map. What gives? :O

Yep that's happened to me too in ALL TERRITORIES. If I was supposed to do this before finishing the game and it didn't tell me I'm going to go psycho.

jgminto

Yep that's happened to me too in ALL TERRITORIES. If I was supposed to do this before finishing the game and it didn't tell me I'm going to go psycho.

You need to actually find the Territories before you can do them. Go to the non purple parts of the map and fly around. You should find them. Some are on rooftops though.

falconzss

Quick question: I tried to redeem my online pass as well as my preorder code but both don't work (double checked everything, UK game copy/German PSN account btw). Did anybody here have similar problems? Should i try to redeem it on an UK account?

Linkhero1

I'm having trouble with one of the assassinations.

I'm trying to lure Andre out in Espina. I've attacked a bunch of random hookers and got Morningstar to chase me. He never appears. I've tried many times but with no luck. Any tips on luring him out?

jgminto

I'm having trouble with one of the assassinations.

I'm trying to lure Andre out in Espina. I've attacked a bunch of random hookers and got Morningstar to chase me. He never appears. I've tried many times but with no luck. Any tips on luring him out?

Well you need a 5 star Morningstar rating. I did it when I was invincible and I just killed every Morningstar and Hooker I saw.

Anyone else experiencing crashes on mission 23 (
meeting Viola?
)

The game keeps crashing on me when I get in the elevator, annoying the shit out of me.

Yazuka

The pictures you take (Ps3 version) is uploaded to saintsrow.com right?
But how the hell do I save them from there? I can only see tiny, tiny thumbnails.
Can't I get bigger versions of my pictures?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The pictures you take (Ps3 version) is uploaded to saintsrow.com right?
But how the hell do I save them from there? I can only see tiny, tiny thumbnails.
Can't I get bigger versions of my pictures?

Go to Community -> Map -> My Map -> My Screenshots

Im doing my second playthrough now. %100'ed my first.
I've liberated as few a areas as possible and completed just enough missions to have lots of rival gangs, cops, STAG and
zombies
Free roaming and picking fights with all these different ememies is way more fun than conquering the whole game and only having cops to scuffle with IMO.

UrbanRats

Played about 2 hours.
Shitty performances (ati 5850) and can't play with Dx11 in fullscreen (1frame every 3 seconds, in the main menu alone).
If i put Dx9, all high (except the dx10/11 stuff) and no AA, still get a choppy frame rate, especially when speeding with a vehicle.
Still playable though, i'll wait for new ati drivers or i may even end up changing card (i'm tired of this shitty Ati support, honestly).

That said, had a blast for the little i've played, the variety of gang enemies is great,
the big Luchadores' tanks and the Deck's rollerblade psychic girls
, great stuff.

Teknoman

Finished the game last night, really enjoyed it. Beat it at around 16-17 hours, with 69% complete.

Woo!

Didn't get to play as much co-op as I wanted, but I did a couple missions with NIN90 and Teknoman here and there.

Theres always finishing up/replaying/dlc.

Shaneus

Played about 2 hours.
Shitty performances (ati 5850) and can't play with Dx11 in fullscreen (1frame every 3 seconds, in the main menu alone).
If i put Dx9, all high (except the dx10/11 stuff) and no AA, still get a choppy frame rate, especially when speeding with a vehicle.
Still playable though, i'll wait for new ati drivers or i may even end up changing card (i'm tired of this shitty Ati support, honestly).

That said, had a blast for the little i've played, the variety of gang enemies is great,
, great stuff.

What specs and drivers do you have/are you using? I'd like to think I've done enough research to have some idea on what the best is (or at least, what you *shouldn't* be using). FWIW I actually got preferable performance (flat 30fps) out of my Q9550 and dual 5850s with Crossfire disabled, and that's on ultra settings.

UrbanRats

What specs and drivers do you have/are you using? I'd like to think I've done enough research to have some idea on what the best is (or at least, what you *shouldn't* be using). FWIW I actually got preferable performance (flat 30fps) out of my Q9550 and dual 5850s with Crossfire disabled, and that's on ultra settings.

I got an i5 750, one 5850 and 4 gigs of ram.
As far as drivers, i'm using the 11.11 (downloaded them the other day, from the ati website, for Skyrim issues).
i'm playing at 1080p, vsync on, all i could at high (minus a few things that are "dx10 or above", so i've put those on low) and no AA, cause it's still acceptable IQ at 1080p.
I didn't mess up with the ini yet though, just wanted to give it a go.
As i said, if i start in Dx11 mode, fullscreen fucks me up, going at like 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds.

The framerate is playable for the most part, it chops when speeding with a vehicles, so in case of racing missions, i'll have to see.
I'll try to cap at 30fps, from the ini, next time i get on it.

Shaneus

I got an i5 750, one 5850 and 4 gigs of ram.
As far as drivers, i'm using the 11.11 (downloaded them the other day, from the ati website, for Skyrim issues).
i'm playing at 1080p, vsync on, all i could at high (minus a few things that are "dx10 or above", so i've put those on low) and no AA, cause it's still acceptable IQ at 1080p.
I didn't mess up with the ini yet though, just wanted to give it a go.
As i said, if i start in Dx11 mode, fullscreen fucks me up, going at like 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds.

The framerate is playable for the most part, it chops when speeding with a vehicles, so in case of racing missions, i'll have to see.
I'll try to cap at 30fps, from the ini, next time i get on it.
Ah, so you're shooting for 60fps but finding ridiculous framerate drops to 30 because of vsync? I kinda had that too (though sometimes it would dip even below 30). Your PC should be able to smash the shit out of 30fps at ultra with everything cranked, although I do have my card(s) overclocked, but I doubt it would make that much difference.

As for the ultra slowdown with DX11, it may be due to having 4 cores (I guess... not sure how many your CPU has) and you may need to disable the latter two cores.. Check out here for some fixes which might help you out. Might not, but they're worth a go.

I'll be checking out the prerelease Catalyst drivers tonight, so I'll let you know if I have any luck.

jgminto

Probably not. I finished every assassination after only completing the first three story missions.

That's impossible. The last 10 or so assassinations don't unlock until halfway through the game. There are 30 something assassinations in total.

EDIT: So what to the guys who have finished the game think
the "canon" ending is? Kill Killbane or Save Shaundi? Personally I'm thinking the Save Shaundi ending will be the one they take through to the next. It keeps both the major villains alive and I think makes more sense as the whole point of this was to avenge Gat's death.

Pimpbaa

I have two 5850s and a quad core CPU (Q9550). With vsync on, the two cards will max out at about 60-70% usage and wildly fluctuate b/w 60 and 30fps, sometimes even lower than that. With a single card, it will use 100% of that GPU but the framerate will be a perfectly flat 30. That's how I'm playing it for the time being because at least that's consistent. With two cards, I'd consider it unplayable.

This is using the Catalyst 11.11 (not 11.11a) drivers and CAP2 profiles (with apparently "improved Crossfire performance" for SR3), though I'll be trying the leaked 12.1 drivers tonight with the CAP2 profiles to see if it's any better.

Force triple buffering with d3doverrider.

mileS

I want to play this game sooo badly but I have the same rig as UrbanRats posted and the performance doesn't sound that good from what I'm reading.. Not as good as it should be at least. I'm also getting sick of the terrible support for ATI/AMD.. never again. Anyways its saying something that i'll be paying attention to this thread and new drivers updates everyday because I want to play that badly.

UrbanRats

Ah, so you're shooting for 60fps but finding ridiculous framerate drops to 30 because of vsync? I kinda had that too (though sometimes it would dip even below 30). Your PC should be able to smash the shit out of 30fps at ultra with everything cranked, although I do have my card(s) overclocked, but I doubt it would make that much difference.

As for the ultra slowdown with DX11, it may be due to having 4 cores (I guess... not sure how many your CPU has) and you may need to disable the latter two cores.. Check out here for some fixes which might help you out. Might not, but they're worth a go.

I'll be checking out the prerelease Catalyst drivers tonight, so I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Yeah the i5 have 4 cores.

Actually, i'd be totally fine with stable 30 fps, i don't have fraps on, but i'm sure sometimes it hits that "60fps fluidity", though most of the time i think it's more in the 30 to 40 realm.
The slowdowns i'm talking about, though, are DEFINITELY in the 20s.
But, i want to stress again: it's totally playable (so far).
Not as good as it should be, but still totally playable and good to look at (although, that also depends on your standards as a gamer, i'm used to not having 60fps, since i play on console a lot, too).
It's kind of a bummer to have to not use the DX11 features, between this and that, i rarely end up using them (Batman has problems too, with DX11) lol.
vsync is essential, because on the 55", the tearing is very noticable, generally, and i hate it to death (again, depend on your needs).
Anyway thanks, i'll look forward to your feedback. :)
I want to play this game sooo badly but I have the same rig as UrbanRats posted and the performance doesn't sound that good from what I'm reading.. Not as good as it should be at least. I'm also getting sick of the terrible support for ATI/AMD.. never again. Anyways its saying something that i'll be paying attention to this thread and new drivers updates everyday because I want to play that badly.

As always with this stuff, YMMV.
The game is playable and far better than SR2, in terms of performance, though i think if you're shooting for the 60 fps with great IQ and everything cranked up, you might wanna wait for some decent drivers.
Just my 2 cents though.

Shaneus

Honestly? I'm the same, at least on the AMD standpoint. While some of the time Crossfire scaling can be off the fucking charts (most Codies games, save for the F1s) more often than not I find myself either having to tweak the shit out of something via RadeonPro (although the ability to custom-tune each game is in the 12.1/8.93 prerelease drivers) or completely disable Crossfire altogether. If a game doesn't have a profile, it should default to only using one card... I had so much heartache with Blur and NFS:HP because of that shit. Profile updates rarely make a difference, either.

When the next gen cards come out, I'll likely go with the top of the line single GPU nVidia card. No more shit from AMD and no more worrying about dual-GPU scaling from either manufacturer.

Played about 2 hours.

, great stuff.

I have two systems. Laptop (primary) and Desktop (looking to get rid of). Tried it on my desktop that also has a 5850 and indeed the performance was worse than my Nvidia laptop!

After that Sublime scene I NEED this game.

I was telling my wife about this and how it's awesome to have grown up in the same generation as these devs, as you get all these wonderful jokes, references homages, etc. (I was in 7th grade when "What I got" came out)

I lost my shit with the "Sexy Sax Man" from The Lost Boys compliment animtation. I mean fuck, it's even called "I still believe" (the name of the song in the film).

This game captures my heart! (^____^)

SmokyDave

I have two systems. Laptop (primary) and Desktop (looking to get rid of). Tried it on my desktop that also has a 5850 and indeed the performance was worse than my Nvidia laptop!

I'm running it on a single 5850 and it isn't giving me any trouble. 1920x1080, DX10/11, Medium settings, frame rate is flawed but by no means terrible.

I think I have low standards for a PC gamer.

I'm running it on a single 5850 and it isn't giving me any trouble. 1920x1080, DX10/11, Medium settings, frame rate is flawed but by no means terrible.

I think I have low standards for a PC gamer.

The general framerate is fine. it's when you start speeding around. Get's really choppy for no reason.

-BLITZ-

BLITZ, Have you done the finale mission twice (And chosen the other ending)? I heard somewhere that they're technically tied up until the finale is finished a second time

Ah, so I see. I didn't do the final mission twice thinking that it wasn't necessary to the free roam. I will try that; thanks.

How do I upload my character? Do I have to download the Initiation Station?
Go to a clothes shop, dress up your character the way you want to (you can also access all the other clothes you have bought earlier from other shops), then there should be a gallery option with the choice of downloading or uploading your character.

Top Bottom