• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

dreamfall

Need. this. game. now! I really hope the concerns about the DLC in reviews don't come into fruition- regardless, I'm excited for Steelport and my attempts to go utterly insane this game will soon be realized!

Yeah, took me almost 20 hours to beat all the story missions for Saints Row 2(that includes the occasional side mission for Respect and gang stronghold takeovers and such), so 12 hours is pretty lol. Then top it off there's a shit ton of DLC already gives me the idea they had to cut some things to make it for holiday release and they can sell it to us later.

diffusionx

Gold Member
ViewtifulJC said:
Yeah, took me almost 20 hours to beat all the story missions for Saints Row 2(that includes the occasional side mission for Respect and gang stronghold takeovers and such), so 12 hours is pretty lol. Then top it off there's a shit ton of DLC already gives me the idea they had to cut some things to make it for holiday release and they can sell it to us later.

Yea.... Saints Row 2, if anything, might have been a bit too long, but everything I've been reading says that this game is quite light in comparison. I cancelled my preorder, but I'll probably get it down the road for cheap or a complete edition.

Marleyman

Banned
ViewtifulJC said:

Which is strange considering the release window they are in(Skyrim, MW3, BF3, Batman: AA, etc)

Two separate reviews have said it took them 16hours to complete the story missions and one mentioned 22hrs to get to 85% complete.

Jim 'prof troll' Sterling shouldn't be trusted.

He wanted to return to Stillwater? What the hell for? It was dull arse city with nothing to do. Trollers be trollin', I guess.

Marleyman

Banned
Speedymanic said:
Two separate reviews have said it took them 16hours to complete the story missions and one mentioned 22hrs to get to 85% complete.

He wanted to return to Stillwater? What the hell for? It was dull arse city with nothing to do. Trollers be trollin', I guess.

I don't trust Sterling usually but he was a huge fanboy of SR2; if he felt let down I tend to agree with him in this case.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Speedymanic said:

And another review said 20 hours for 100%.

Think about it, this guy says that SR2 is one of his faves this generation, why in the hell would he just troll the same people who made one of his favorites?

Pair up the shorter length + endless DLC and that's good enough for a skip. It's not like I have nothing to play.

Marleyman

Banned
diffusionx said:

Think about it, this guy says that SR2 is one of his faves this generation, why in the hell would we just troll the same people who made one of his favorites?

Pair up the shorter length + endless DLC and that's good enough for a skip. It's not like I have nothing to play.

THQ shit all over Red Faction and they could possibly be doing the same thing with Saints Row; I really hope not considering the lack of quality open world titles not named GTA and Just Cause.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Marleyman said:
THQ shit all over Red Faction and they could possibly be doing the same thing with Saints Row; I really hope not considering the lack of quality open world titles not named GTA and Just Cause.

I'm sure this game is good. But it also sounds like they kept a lot of shit back to sell as DLC later (SR1 and SR2 had some of the worst DLC this gen). This doesn't sound like a piece of shit like Red Faction. I'll just wait for them to finish the game.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I was going to way for a price drop, now that I know the game is kinda short, it makes it a lot easier. I think I got SR2 for like 30$ 3 months after release.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ViewtifulJC said:
Rental status confirmed :/

You can beat a 30+ hour game in a rental period?

Mr.Swag said:
I was going to way for a price drop, now that I know the game is kinda short, it makes it a lot easier. I think I got SR2 for like 30$ 3 months after release.

What is wrong with you crazy people, since when in 30+ short? Also, reviewers had to play under a time constraint meaning they didn't get sucked away by random activities like the normal gamer would.

Marleyman

Banned
diffusionx said:
I'm sure this game is good. But it also sounds like they kept a lot of shit back to sell as DLC later (SR1 and SR2 had some of the worst DLC this gen). This doesn't sound like a piece of shit like Red Faction. I'll just wait for them to finish the game.

Didn't mean the quality of the game, just the release date, holding back of DLC type of decisions.

MMaRsu

The Boss of the Saints is no longer a psychotic villain, having been softened up and turned into a lame antihero who fights against characters far more despicable than he is.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Ok fuck it I'll wait for a price drop man..to many good games coming out, too many dissapointments in this game so far : online pass, Genki shit is pre-order only, voices suck in the main character department, he's no longer an asshole..seriously what the fuck? No food, drinks or drugs, instead just more focus on kind of lame humor?

And then... 22 hrs for 85%? Laughable.

I mean I was fine with turning Pierce and Shaundi into hollywood stars like lame-o's , but turning the BOSS into a nice guy( kinda ) ? THE FUCK. :(((((

ctrayne

9.3 - http://www.ztgd.com/reviews/16353/saints-row-the-third-pc/

If you want to take a break from the main story mode, there are plenty of side activities to participate in. Whether you’re stealing specific cars for a chop shop, assassinating targets, quelling rival gang operations, committing insurance fraud or simply finding hidden sex dolls and photo opportunities, there is a bunch of stuff that will keep you busy. Sure, you can just play around in the sandbox if you want, and believe me, it is tons of fun to do so, but if you’re in it for the mayhem, THQ and Volition have you covered outside of the main mode.

Don't forget Whored Mode too.

Marleyman said:
I don't trust Sterling usually but he was a huge fanboy of SR2; if he felt let down I tend to agree with him in this case.

He may be a big SR2 fanboy but the entire review reads like why isn't it exactly like SR2 and then goes into a rambling tirade about DLC (which I can understand, but has no bearing on the content available, which sounds substantial based on other reviews)

diffusionx said:

Think about it, this guy says that SR2 is one of his faves this generation, why in the hell would he just troll the same people who made one of his favorites?

Which review, if you don't mind my asking.

OneLetter

One thing to note about the 100% figure being tossed around is that it does NOT include all of the Saints Book activities, which can easily add a ton more time onto your game. A fair number of these were the side diversions in SR2, such as:

• Hitman assassination contracts - Where we give you a person to find a clue and you take them out
  • Vehicle Theft Shopping List - Find a specific car and bring it back
  • Challenges
The challenge system is pretty in-depth and includes respect bonuses for things like Nutshots, Mascots Killed, Gang Members Taunted, various driving achievements, and more, adding a ton more time for stuff to do outside of the story if you so choose.

Kaizer

Banned
Looks like I might wait a bit on this looking at the reviews, too many other games coming with long, meaty experiences that I can wait for SR3 to drop lower in price.

Sterling's 7 is concerning just considering his fandom. Considering the majority praise the title is getting is beyond anything I expected for the game, I'm still picking it up. My biggest concern would be missions variety, which Sterling says is crap, and everyone else says is great.

His concerns about length and THQ nickel and diming everyone to death in order to get the "full" game seem valid enough to me though. The question is whether this is actually correct I guess.

ctrayne

OneLetter said:
One thing to note about the 100% figure being tossed around is that it does NOT include all of the Saints Book activities, which can easily add a ton more time onto your game. A fair number of these were the side diversions in SR2, such as:

• Hitman assassination contracts - Where we give you a person to find a clue and you take them out
  • Vehicle Theft Shopping List - Find a specific car and bring it back
  • Challenges
Good to know. I've seen a couple people call SR3 "Super-sized SR2" and others whining about the length, so I would assume the truth is right in the middle.

SmokyDave said:
Nope, for the DLC, I reckon. Not sure exactly why yet, my crystal ball is murky.

DLC is being blown out of all proportions.

Gears 3 will have substantial DLC, MW3 will have substantial DLC, BF3 will have substantial DLC.

It could be argued that they all removed that content from the game so they could sell it as DLC.

The entire argument about DLC that comes out months later is moot. Hell, even if comes out a week after release it's moot as games can go gold at least a month (or more) in advance.

Are developers supposed to twiddle their thumbs during this time? Wouldn't it make sense to get to work on some DLC so the game retains some post release value and isn't traded off as soon as it's finished?

obonicus

Tom Chick gave it a 10.

http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/9687.html

And this leads to one of greatest truths about Saints Row 3. It is immaculately paced because it loves you. Most games can be insensitive clods with occasional rough patches. You get stuck for a while, or it's slow to start, or you cruise through some filler, or certain design choices are clunky, or the characters are flat and you don't care about them, or you know exactly what's going to happen next and therefore when it happens you don't care. None of this happens in Saints Row 3, which is a textbook example of how to keep me into a game from beginning to open-ended end. I don't have to slog through a few early missions with a derringer and a puttering ATV. I don't hit a crazy difficulty level spike half way through. I don't fight a stupid boss battle at the end. Well, okay, maybe I do because Saints Row 3 knows exactly how to set it up. You're in good hands. Here is a game that starts you out doing the sorts of things you wouldn't normally do until the end of other games. And yet, it never stops delivering surprises, twists, and "I gotta get me one of those!" moments. Which is followed by one of those being immediately given to you. Saints Row 3 doesn't go to 11, because it's there from the beginning.

(...)

"Awesomer and awesomer!" you'll cry as you plunge down the deliriously wondrous rabbit hole that is Saints Row: The Third. This is no mere videogame. It is more than 25 hours -- probably far more -- of unadulterated delight straight to the ol' amygdala. Go with it. Let it work its magic. It's so good it's nearly chemical.

It kind of reads like an 11.

GeoramA

Jim Sterling finished the game in 2 days?

Having second thoughts now, because the side-missions don't look as good as SR2's either.

diffusionx said:
It was in the other thread - Saints Row 3 First Review or something like that.

Found it, they finished it the main story missions in 16hrs and think they could have 100% the game in 20hrs.

http://www.oxmonline.com/saints-row-third-review?page=0,1

And the aforementioned missions and Activities? All of it is framed within a simplistic gang-war plot that works because it’s both self-aware — characters actually joke about how ludicrous their actions and predicaments are — and straight to the point. True, we finished The Third in 16 hours — which we could easily stretch to 20 by going for full 100% completion, although even that pales in comparison to the 40-plus hours of the average GTA — but literally every mission was an eccentric riot. You won’t find any of GTA’s fetch quests or filler here. Each Saints mission throws you right into something cool, whether it’s pancaking your foes with a tank, nuking pursuers with a sonic cannon, warring with dozens of rival gangsters in one intersection, or, yes, stumbling naked through a hooker-infested labyrinth.

Sounds like an estimate.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Speedymanic said:
Sounds like an estimate.

Good enough for me. I'm waiting. Go nuts. I'm sure you'll love it. Shit, I am sure I will too. I just don't want to spend $60 on a game noticeably shorter than it's predecessors (I played SR2 for more than 40 hours) with a season pass DLC schedule.

obonicus

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Maybe this is Saint's Row for people who never got into Saint's Row 1 or 2? That'd be me I guess.

I think that's part of the idea. Tone down some of the things that people hated from Saints Row 2, while upping the ante in a whole other bunch of ways.

diffusionx said:
Good enough for me. I'm waiting. Go nuts. I'm sure you'll love it. Shit, I am sure I will too. I just don't want to spend $60 on a game noticeably shorter than it's predecessors (I played SR2 for more than 40 hours) with a season pass DLC schedule.

Fair enough, but you do have keep in mind that reviewers are blitzing through games this time of the year.

I'm sure that estimate increases to 30+ hours if fool around in the game world as so many of us did in SR2.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Maybe this is Saint's Row for people who never got into Saint's Row 1 or 2? That'd be me I guess.

I hope that too. I could never get properly into saints row 2 and the pc port was just so bad that I couldn't ever bother really giving it a chance.

Deadly Cyclone said:
ITT: Gaf flip-flops on buying game based on conflicting reviews.

:p

Best was the guy in battlefield 3 thread who said repeatedly he cancelled his pre order and showed pictures of it and all, just to be playing on the GAF server 3 days later and complain even more in the chat box in there.

Marleyman

Banned
I think it will still be a fun game to go through, but many were hyping this as the game of the forever based of gifs, dildos, human cannons and squid hats.

Top Bottom