• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Adnor

Banned
I'm so hyped for this game! I already pre-order it, even when I said I will not do it because I have finals and almost no money, but I did anyway.

Not to worried about the lenght, I know I will play for hours and hours just running over pedestrians.

Sadly my friends started to pirate everything again, so I will not have a coop buddy :(

Marleyman

Banned
Adnor said:
Not to worried about the lenght, I know I will play for hours and hours just running over pedestrians.

Good luck finding them, from what I have read and seen. The quicklook had the streets looking barren in the areas they were driving around in.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Deadly Cyclone said:
ITT: Gaf flip-flops on buying game based on conflicting reviews.

:p

That has actually been the source of much hilarity for me while awaiting this game. Watching as every minor (or rumored) fault, online pass, or reveal of a minigame's removal cause uproar after uproar only for each new trailer to be lavished in unadulterated praise and joyous preorder announcements.

It's especially hilarious to see so many gaffers base their purchases on reviews from the very outlets they deem horrific (and/or without credibility) due to the shoddy nature of gaming journalism.

On the plus side, the complaints about length of campaign don't really take into account that a good 5-10 hours of the SR2 campaign was completing enough objectives/side missions to gain the necessary 'respect' required to actually partake in said missions to begin with.

I'm sure more will become apparent on release and a good portion of these fears are laid to rest. However, the dlc thing they have planned could be both interesting and an utterly broken way to ... PRE ORDER CANC ... oh wait, Karate Kid theme?

GAME OF THE FOREVER.

ctrayne

MrWhitefolks said:
On the plus side, the complaints about length of campaign don't really take into account that a good 5-10 hours of the SR2 campaign was completing enough objectives/side missions to gain the necessary 'respect' required to actually partake in said missions to begin with.
Yes, plus now you can start missions from your phone instead of driving to it, which saves time. Doesn't stop you from enjoying the city and driving around anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snkfanatic said:
Really want this but I think I am going to wait and see how the PC version fairs.
First, I want to point out that, unlike the PC version of Saints Row 2, Volition did all of the work in house. They recently admitted that the port of SR2 was less than ideal, but the PC version of Saints Row The Third is everything that the console version is and more.

http://www.ztgd.com/reviews/16353/saints-row-the-third-pc/

watership

The Gametrailers review is interesting, in that "this game is below our cultural standards' way. It was almost angrily dismissive, and frankly that looks bad on GT, given that the game mechanics and ludicrous activities is the what people play this game for.

elwes

What cracks me up about the length of the game is that some of the most fun I've had with open world, sandbox games is running around being an idiot. I've logged more hours in every single GTA game just screwing around and causing anarchy.

Games like this are games that I bust out when I have a few friends over and we just want to create some rampant destruction or do the most insane, reckless crap possible. Hell, my friend and I spent a solid 2 hours attempting to jump out of a helicopter at max height and land on a car. Campaign length means nothing in these games.

Also, nice OP. I was kind of surprised that Ploid wasn't the one making this thread, though.

Ploid 3.0

Deadly Cyclone said:
ITT: Gaf flip-flops on buying game based on conflicting reviews.

:p

Can't kill my hype. Even if there were 20 missions the meat for me is the world and the stuff I can do with it. I do missions to unlock toys.

elwes said:
What cracks me up about the length of the game is that some of the most fun I've had with open world, sandbox games is running around being an idiot. I've logged more hours in every single GTA game just screwing around and causing anarchy.

Games like this are games that I bust out when I have a few friends over and we just want to create some rampant destruction or do the most insane, reckless crap possible. Hell, my friend and I spent a solid 2 hours attempting to jump out of a helicopter at max height and land on a car. Campaign length means nothing in these games.

Also, nice OP. I was kind of surprised that Ploid wasn't the one making this thread, though.

This for me too. GTA:SA up to 2-3 years playing that game, and I didn't do all of it's missions.

I see the garage delivery is still in, more toys, better city, and codes. So much new stuff to mess with in this game. It will easily replace SR2 for my go to game. SR2 can retire with my PS2 game. Both can sing duets of vice city music.

Baha

From the Tom Chick review:

But I'm tempted to use the word “economy” because it does a great job balancing the amount of money you have and the amount of stuff you want to buy. And by "balancing", I mean there's never enough money, so there's always incentive to keep playing. I've played for just over thirty hours as of this writing, and some of those hours were just killing time waiting for money to roll in from the cola factories, furniture stores, and crackhouses I own. Yet I never had the sense that I had more money than I knew what to do with. On a few occasions, I would find I had been so caught up playing that, oh look, I have $200,000! Which melts away once I buy the airport, upgrade this shotgun I just found, and unlock extra shotgun ammo capacity. Wait, where did my $200,000 go? Not that I care, because I'm about to go try out this cool shotgun. Way to make money meaningful, Volition.

Can't fucking wait.

Ploid 3.0

That economy sounds great. Oh noes you can blow through the non filler missions!

You know another game I play the most on PS3? Marvel vs Capcom 3. That games story mode can be finished in a blink. It's online suck (no spectator), and I only play it against one dude, but I have fun still. The gameplay is great and there's a lot to do with the teams (UMVC3 getting a bit of a back seat to SR3 though. I'll take breaks).

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
watership said:
The Gametrailers review is interesting, in that "this game is below our cultural standards' way. It was almost angrily dismissive, and frankly that looks bad on GT, given that the game mechanics and ludicrous activities is the what people play this game for.

I saw that this morning as well and was laughing through the majority of it. Not due to fandom for the SR series, but because it sounds remarkably similar to arthouse/pretensious college kids discussing anything not 'deep' or 'meaningful' (which I hear a lot at my second job).

'Oh, you saw that movie? It's so overrated; lacking any real depth or merit to the medium as a whole. You should go watch Citizen Kane instead.'

I just imagine the guy writing that review smoking clove cigarettes intent on showing people what a true review really is.

sephi22

Someone's already uploading playthrough videos on youtube. He uploaded the mission which made me jump up with joy when I played it. Its a mission that will make anyone who's on the fence about this game make the jump, but its such a great moment that I can't spoil it.

Ploid 3.0

Marleyman said:
Good luck finding them, from what I have read and seen. The quicklook had the streets looking barren in the areas they were driving around in.

I downloaded a ton of sr3 videos on youtube because I thought they would get taken down. Looking through them now and only paying attention to parts where he's not on a mission. There are pedestrians all over the place. Are you sure about what you're saying. Cars too. Going back in to make sure I'm not being tricked.

sephi22 said:
Someone's already uploading playthrough videos on youtube. He uploaded the mission which made me jump up with joy when I played it. Its a mission that will make anyone who's on the fence about this game make the jump, but its such a great moment that I can't spoil it.

I think I know what uploader you're talking about. I had to stop watching his videos. Even the ones I already downloaded. How is he not off of youtube.

PopcornMegaphone said:
So is amazon the best place to pre-order this game (360 version)?

Amazon gets you $10 credit and the Professor Genki DLC and release date shipping.

Ordering from THQ directly gets you the Professor Genki DLC, free shipping, and the season pass.

SmokyDave

Speedymanic said:
DLC is being blown out of all proportions.

Gears 3 will have substantial DLC, MW3 will have substantial DLC, BF3 will have substantial DLC.

It could be argued that they all removed that content from the game so they could sell it as DLC.

The entire argument about DLC that comes out months later is moot. Hell, even if comes out a week after release it's moot as games can go gold at least a month (or more) in advance.

Are developers supposed to twiddle their thumbs during this time? Wouldn't it make sense to get to work on some DLC so the game retains some post release value and isn't traded off as soon as it's finished?
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I've seen enough in the base package to justify my money at full price. The DLC I will probably get as a bundle in a Steam sale down the line. I just think in this case there's so much DLC coming that people will end up grumbling.

I shouldn't have mentioned it in this particular thread but I was just musing.

ctrayne

Ploid 3.0 said:
Can't kill my hype. Even if there were 20 missions the meat for me is the world and the stuff I can do with it. I do missions to unlock toys.

This for me too. GTA:SA up to 2-3 years playing that game, and I didn't do all of it's missions.

I see the garage delivery is still in, more toys, better city, and codes. So much new stuff to mess with in this game. It will easily replace SR2 for my go to game. SR2 can retire with my PS2 game. Both can sing duets of vice city music.
I'm with you. The campaign is going to be great, but that's only one piece of the pie.

FUCK YES YOU ARE THE BEST OT

QCKOi.gif

On a side note I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

Gooster said:
Amazon gets you $10 credit and the Professor Genki DLC and release date shipping.

Ordering from THQ directly gets you the Professor Genki DLC, free shipping, and the season pass.

Thank you!

Amazon ships release day so they get my money.

ctrayne

83 from PC Gamer (US).
As seems to be the trend with them, they slap a random score on and don't talk about anything meaningful like graphics, performance, or really anything. There was nothing negative in the review so it's funny seeing such an oddly specific score of 83 attached to it. SO CLOSE, coulda been 84, damn!

Not that I care, I just want the game in my hands.

DrBo42

That GT review was laughable. I felt like the entire video was a loop of "This game is childish and dumb. I'm above this." When did this guy forget how to have simple fun? Oh well, his loss. PC version, STRAPPED ON.

OneLetter

So all of you have seen the Steam Pre-order bonus, right? RIGHT?

38423c3647c5f1b2caf325c8e8536b54.jpg

- The Mark of the Saint (pin): Available for every class.
- The Apoco-Fists: “Turn every one of your fingers into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! That's over nineteen Horsemen of the Apocalypse per glove! The most Apocalypse we've ever dared attach to one hand!”
- The Cold War Luchador: “The most terrifying Soviet/Latino partnership since the Cuban Missile Crisis.”

We'll also be putting some TF2 related items in SR:TT. We'll be showing that off in the future though. :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
watership said:
The Gametrailers review is interesting, in that "this game is below our cultural standards' way.

Man, Saints Row: The Third is games' cultural standards.

Ploid 3.0

OneLetter said:

http://fast1.onesite.com/community.saintsrow.com/38423c3647c5f1b2caf325c8e8536b54.]

- [B]The Mark of the Saint (pin):[/B] Available for every class.
- [B]The Apoco-Fists:[/B] “Turn every one of your fingers into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! That's over nineteen Horsemen of the Apocalypse per glove! The most Apocalypse we've ever dared attach to one hand!”
- [B]The Cold War Luchador:[/B] “The most terrifying Soviet/Latino partnership since the Cuban Missile Crisis.”

We'll also be putting some TF2 related items in SR:TT. We'll be showing that off in the future though. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh man I don't play TF2 much (bronze pin and some free stuff a friend gave me) but I'd love to have the saints row pin. Can't believe I'm excited for tf2 items. It eventually gets us all I guess. That pin looks awesome. Mine! Well if it comes with SR3.

[QUOTE=ctrayne]Just got this from Amazon:

:)[/QUOTE]

Here we go! Getting this out of the way early. Half way through the day. 3 more days pretty much.

SlickVic

MrWhitefolks said:

Oh, you don't have to do that anymore for SR:TT? Good to know. If I didn't have to fill up a respect meter in SR2, I'm sure I could've gunned through the main storyline of that game in less than 20 hours as well. The campaign for SR:TT may still be a bit shorter, but certainly not to the extent I was thinking of before. If I like the mission variety and enjoy the activities/diversions they've included, hard to see myself being disappointed with this one. Thanks for the clarification.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The thing that defines the sandbox experience for me is having your experience and acquisitions affect how you move and operate in the gameworld. Crackdown is a prime example of this. I liked that, instead of making toll bridges that opened when you completed a mission, the enemies in certain areas were just too tough for you at lower levels.

So I'm hoping that the world in SR3 naturally opens up as you grow and continues to offer new challenges.

OG Kush

Baha said:
From the Tom Chick review:

Can't fucking wait.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. I was scared it would end up where you had to so much money that you could get everything and no point doing side-missions etc.

e_i

Amazon just sent me an email saying that the game download is ready...but nope, it isn't. Not for a couple more hours.

AEREC

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Maybe this is Saint's Row for people who never got into Saint's Row 1 or 2? That'd be me I guess.

Possibly...I was never interested in SR1 or 2, but this one looks fun and I have it preordered on steam now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OneLetter said:

http://fast1.onesite.com/community.saintsrow.com/38423c3647c5f1b2caf325c8e8536b54.jpg

- The Mark of the Saint (pin): Available for every class.
- The Apoco-Fists: “Turn every one of your fingers into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! That's over nineteen Horsemen of the Apocalypse per glove! The most Apocalypse we've ever dared attach to one hand!”
- The Cold War Luchador: “The most terrifying Soviet/Latino partnership since the Cuban Missile Crisis.”

We'll also be putting some TF2 related items in SR:TT. We'll be showing that off in the future though. :)
Nice~ The badge would look absolutely smashing on the Demoman w/ pimp hat. Too bad I had to uninstall TF2 because I was becoming horribly addicted to it once more!

DrBo42

e_i said:
Amazon just sent me an email saying that the game download is ready...but nope, it isn't. Not for a couple more hours.
Good thing you mentioned it. I was just about to go home for lunch and get the D/L started.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Adnor

Banned
Totobeni said:
Apoco-Fists is a Pre-order bonus too ? just like Professor Genki stuff smh

this pre order DLC strategy for SR3 suck major big hairy balls.
No, the Apoco-Fist is a reward in the game. The Apoco-Fist for the Heavy in TF2 is a steam pre-order exclusive, but if you don't play TF2 you shouldn't worry about that

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Adnor said:
No, the Apoco-Fist is a reward in the game. The Apoco-Fist for the Heavy in TF2 is a steam pre-order exclusive, but if you don't play TF2 you shouldn't worry about that

thanks for the correction.

Backflip

ViewtifulJC said:
Rental status confirmed :/

I don't agree with what Sterling wrote about that. I finished the game once already but I can't wait to go through it at least once more with a friend in coop mode. I also want to go through the story one more time to make different choices and do all the side activities.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ploid 3.0 said:

I think I played SR2 more than SA, I first got it on PS3 when it got released and play the shit out of it till 2009, then got it on PC with "Gentlemen of the Row" and still playing that from time to time.

Side note: PC people should really play SR2 with Gentlemen of the Row mod since it really fix that shitty port and add a lot of crazy stuff.

DrBo42

ctrayne said:
More like "Easily offended gamers need to chill out". This is totally in the "Pro" category for me.
Why is that even mentioned in there? Who doesn't know what this game is all about at this point? It's like going into an adult video store and saying "WHAT THE SHIT IS THIS?!" Haha.

I, for one, am really glad it's shorter than SR2. 40 hours to spend on one game? Heck no.

Give me 20 incredibly ridiculous hours and that's more than enough.

Totobeni said:
Still the only review I am looking forward too is Yahtzee's, because it look like they made the game just based on his SR2 review.

Oh my...I just realized, could he use the words "absolutly sublime from start to finish" again? And if he does, will he keep his promise of "and I'll jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything ever again"?

Top Bottom