• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Any tips for the Vehicle Theft? They're pretty damn annoying now that they give you instant notority once getting in them. The car just blows off half way to the destination.

Once you unlock the instant forgive police/gang perks, you can hop in a car, call the number on your phone and you're set! Only problem is there's a cool down to using it, you have to give it some time to use again.

Pimpbaa

Wait, was somebody talking about GTA 4's cover system as if it worked?

Worked for me, don't know what you were doing wrong.

firehawk12 said:
Man, I hated the driving in GTA4 to the point where I finished the game using Taxis whenever possible.

You must hate driving period. Anyone with a remote interest in driving or racing games should not like the driving in SR3.

jgminto

Only problem I had with it was exiting to move to a different piece of cover. You'd exit, stand up in the middle of a gun fight and be walking extremely slowly.

You must hate driving period. Anyone with a remote interest in driving or racing games should not like the driving in SR3.

Driving in SR3 is good. It's much better than 2 and the drifting feels fantastic. I still prefer GTA 4's driving mechanics but it's a good arcade style system.

FoxSpirit

You are mistaking racing games for simulation only games. Arcade racers like Ridge Racer handle completely different. SR3 has a nice Arcade racer feel to it.

SimonM7

Anyone with a remote interest in driving or racing games should not like the driving in SR3.

I agree! Also, while we're on the subject of accurate representation; anyone with a remote interest in jumping around should not like the jumping in Mario!

For the record I have a decidedly keen interest in racing games, but video games always shift focus to the elements they're trying to highlight. Driving in Saints Row has more to do with gunning dudes down while you're skidding into a corner, and making the driving arcadey, snappy and reliable lets you focus on what the game has decided to emphasise. You're being overly generalising and narrow minded in your reasoning.

Rockstar have decided to prioritise weight and realism over avatar control. Volition has made a snappy, responsive video game wrapped in the apropriate imagery to represent real world elements. They're different philosophies and have nothing to do with whether a person is interested in a car, but rather whether that person can appreciate games based on more than the one philosophy.

Ploid 3.0

I love GT5, the whole series actually. GT got me into driving without trying to powerslide through turns. It took me a while to understand why I had to press brakes in before a curb in a video game, but I then enjoyed it because of it's sim style. Though during the time (PSX) I also had games like Need For Speed 3 and Ridge Racer that I also enjoyed a ton. Even today I want some new HD RR while the PSV will be getting one.

I speed all over the map in SR3 and love it's straight to the point system. I use it's power sliding effectively now and it gets me where I need to go fast. I'm enjoying the driving quite well, and the bikes. I can also control the aircraft well now, at first trying to fly sideway while flying between two close structures was a bit risky for me, and now it's like chewing bubblegum.

I agree! Also, while we're on the subject of accurate representation; anyone with a remote interest in jumping around should not like the jumping in Mario!

For the record I have a decidedly keen interest in racing games, but video games always shift focus to the elements they're trying to highlight. Driving in Saints Row has more to do with gunning dudes down while you're skidding into a corner, and making the driving arcadey, snappy and reliable lets you focus on what the game has decided to emphasise. You're being overly generalising and narrow minded in your reasoning.

Rockstar have decided to prioritise weight and realism over avatar control. Volition has made a snappy, responsive video game wrapped in the apropriate imagery to represent real world elements. They're different philosophies and have nothing to do with whether a person is interested in a car, but rather whether that person can appreciate games based on more than the one philosophy.

That's another thing, I'm able to put the car in cruse control while I clean up my tail then proceed to take control back and continue with my business. I figure that would be a bit of a problem with sim controls. Might roll over a bump then lose all control.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Jules visits Steelport (PS3 SS, OMG the jaggies!)

MoNA1.jpg

Fantastic!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
It's on autopilot alright, to the point where driving is zero challenge in SR3. Cars feel like they are on rails. And the tires don't even match the road (looks like their are gliding everything). This game has the worst driving I've played in any open world game. Driving a car in GTAIV feels like well driving a car. Cars have weight, don't automatically align with the road when you drift into turns, and each car has very different driving characteristics. It's fun because it is an actual challenge, like driving in any decent racing sim. Also, in regards to combat, GTAIV automatically wins for having something basic like being able to go into cover (and shoot from there). Combat in SR3 is fucking archaic.

you know there is a SR vs GTA garbage thread for this right?
Jeremy%20Piven%20-%20Get%20the%20Fuck%20Out.gif

Ploid 3.0

I had a few interesting ways to kill the assassination targets indirectly. This was one of them. Gang member tries to shoot at me while I move behind the target.

ed311adfae9b20adc54a8f94532047cf93342f77.jpg

ctrayne

Nobody is playing SR3 and expecting a racing sim.

Ding ding ding, here's the right answer.

This too.

Pimpbaa

Tell that to Flunkie. Was originally responding to his retarded comment.

I forced myself to finally finish off the last of the GTA IV Episodes. Then my treat afterwards was to play this. The comparison I made to a friend was GTA is like driving a golf cart with baby giraffe legs instead of wheels and a hamster wheel for an engine, and Saints Row 3 is like stepping into a magic realm of actual fun compared to the cumbersome, terrible foot combat of GTA. It's just effortless. I forced myself through everything in GTA. In SR I sit down and the fun is on autopilot.

I'm a fucking sucker for gran turismo and no I like the driving in SR3, it's arcady and unrealistic but that's what I want from it, just some very responsive controls that I can cause mayhem with.

Pimpbaa

Nobody is playing SR3 and expecting a racing sim.

No, but I would expect it to improve somewhat. It's not even good by arcade racing standards. And I'm not comparing to it to just GTAIV here, almost every other open world game with vehicles controls better both this gen and last. The cars feel like weightless toys, and the wheels look like they are floating over the road (wheels don't match up to the road, especially noticeable when you reverse and turn at the same time). The game also lines you up to the road when you power slide into a turn. There is no challenge to the driving at all, it's like the game is driving for you. And the lack of traffic in the game just makes it even easier. It wouldn't be so bad if it was obvious that driving was far down on their list of priorities, but the game has such extensive car upgrades it almost seems like a waste.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Once you unlock the instant forgive police/gang perks, you can hop in a car, call the number on your phone and you're set! Only problem is there's a cool down to using it, you have to give it some time to use again.

A friend I play co-op with told me that I should do the Vehicle Theft missions early because if I advance in the story and/or clear all Gang Operations, I won't be able to get all the cars. Is this true?

jgminto

A friend I play co-op with told me that I should do the Vehicle Theft missions early because if I advance in the story and/or clear all Gang Operations, I won't be able to get all the cars. Is this true?

The STAG N-Forcer can be difficult to find but you also get it for beating the final mission so you can just use that but I believe there is always one place where STAG vehicles are available. All of the rest I got easily.

Gravijah

why can't i get the
STAG
vehicles to save in my garage? :/ tried both the
heli-jet thing and the tank
but neither seem to save.

i even took the time to PARACHUTE ON TOP OF ONE AND STEAL IT MID AIR. and then it didn't save. :(

Just beat the game. The last mission was great.
Only thing that could have made it better is if they actually went to fucking Mars. I would have flipped my shit if they had the balls to do it, but it was still awesome. People say they were parodying something, what was it? Red Faction?

Overall I'd say this was probably the second best game I've played all year(first being Skyrim), and one of the best open world sandbox games ever.

I barely touched any of the challenges so I've still got a shit load of game left too. :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Hmm, I tried this once, to see if it would work, and my Police rating went to zero...then shot back right up to 4 stars a second later while I was trying to drive the last Semi hauler all the way across the map. Needless to say, STAG resumed the chase and blew the shit out of my slow ass truck. Has this happened to anyone else?

edit:

why can't i get these vehicles to save in my garage? :/ tried both things but neither seem to save.

i even took the time to PARACHUTE ON TOP OF ONE AND STEAL IT MID AIR. and then it didn't save. :(

Those vehicles saved normally for me. Does it say something like "cannot save to garage/heliport/whatever"?

jgminto

Hmm, I tried this once, to see if it would work, and my Police rating went to zero...then shot back right up to 4 stars a second later while I was trying to drive the last Semi hauler all the way across the map. Needless to say, STAG resumed the chase and blew the shit out of my slow ass truck. Has this happened to anyone else?

No but I will usually wait until I'm clear of enemy fire to use it. But if you hop out and hop back in it will immediately bring your rating back up. I wish Forgive and Forget was still in the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
why can't i get the
STAG
vehicles to save in my garage? :/ tried both the
heli-jet thing and the tank
but neither seem to save.

You need to wait for the "Press Y to store this vehicle" message to show up before leaving the vehicle. It should then get saved to your garage with a confirmation message.

I play plenty of other driving/racing games and I have no problem with the driving in this game. It's arcadey nature suits it well I think. The cars do pretty much everything I want/need them to do.

I love the driving and shooting in this game.
I dont think dr genki's missions would have been fun with a cover system.
Also, is there a way to put the truck in your garage? I tried to put inside the headquarters but the two chimneys hitted the top so I couldnt put it inside. :lol
I want to upgraded to make it a killer machine, I already did that with one of the fast cars an it feels awesome.

BTW in the mission were you enter the large skyscraper
at the end it blows up, but before doing ti I heard something about keeping it, were there two possibilities? Im also sad I didnt go to the top with an helicopter before the building exploded :(

TGMIII

Once you finish the main storyline does it just let you continue with the same save to finish off the side-quests and collectables?

Once you finish the main storyline does it just let you continue with the same save to finish off the side-quests and collectables?

Yes absolutely with the following exceptions:

The only challenge I've had trouble with is taunting 50 gang members, since almost all of mine have cleared out. Not inpossible to do, just difficult.

Also I hear there's an assassination that may become impossible to do if you make a certain choice at the end of the game.

obonicus

I love the driving and shooting in this game.
I dont think dr genki's missions would have been fun with a cover system.
Also, is there a way to put the truck in your garage? I tried to put inside the headquarters but the two chimneys hitted the top so I couldnt put it inside. :lol
I want to upgraded to make it a killer machine, I already did that with one of the fast cars an it feels awesome.

I put a Peterliner in Kinzie's hideout. I think you can also use a rimjobs to customize them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No, but I would expect it to improve somewhat. It's not even good by arcade racing standards. And I'm not comparing to it to just GTAIV here, almost every other open world game with vehicles controls better both this gen and last. The cars feel like weightless toys, and the wheels look like they are floating over the road (wheels don't match up to the road, especially noticeable when you reverse and turn at the same time). The game also lines you up to the road when you power slide into a turn. There is no challenge to the driving at all, it's like the game is driving for you. And the lack of traffic in the game just makes it even easier. It wouldn't be so bad if it was obvious that driving was far down on their list of priorities, but the game has such extensive car upgrades it almost seems like a waste.
I find that hard to believe, because open world action games usually have awful driving. At least the driving controls aren't frustrating or squirrely.

We all just need to accept the fact that nobody can do (non sim) driving controls/physics like Rockstar.

Just Cause, Saints Row, Open World Game X, etc...all terrible. That said, The Third's driving model is the least offensive of the bunch. It gets you from point A to B without crashing into too many light poles.

SimonM7

When talking about this game I find myself having to use the term "open world game" over and over. That's pretty understandable given the genre, but I wonder how common these games will become eventually. I mean we rarely get to use the term "levels" anymore in regards to "I'm on the last level of the game", unless the game in question is going for something pseudo old school. Games these days often seamlessly transistion from one level to the next, and they're usually divided into chunks called "acts" or "chapters" if anything.

2D and 3D had a similar transistion period back in 1995-ish when you'd go "3D game" about polygonal stuff. Nowadays the defining term of the two is 2D, because they've become the exception.

I was more or less convinced during the Xbox/PS2/GC era that open world inherently meant less fidelity, and not just in terms of graphics but also in world interaction. Spidey was sorta skidding all over the place, spazzing about, no matter how fondly recieved Spider-Man 2 was, and the GTA games.. well let's just say what they lacked in gameplay finesse they worked off in freedom, immersion, quantity and cinematic quality. Assassin's Creed was staggering to me precisely because it was for all intents and purposes an open world platformer with mechanics and interaction on the level of Sands of Time. Suddenly I realised what an absurd notion it had been that open world games would never reach that kind of sophistication.

Between games like InFamous, Assassin's Creed and this, it's abundantly clear that you can transplant the gameplay from the directed, focused kind of experience into a large "living" space intact, and with the scripting potential of missions within its framework, you can basically set up any degree of authored insanity, if that's your thing as a developer. Meanwhile, establishing a large, convincing, inviting environment lays a foundation for any number of return trips in additional episodes while prepping the next big entry. The Yakuza games make a habit of revisiting the same places over and over, with the addition of content and storylines, while the GTA episodes and RDR expansion quite literally did exactly what I'm suggesting.

So with new hardware making it easier to fit everything under one roof and open world games consistently racking up the lofty metascores, I wonder just how common this genre will become in the coming years. It goes without saying that there's never THE ONE DIRECTION gaming will take, so I'm definitely not suggesting that it'll supplant every other approach to an action/adventure video game, but it's somewhat telling that Assassin's Creed - especially with the later addition of tombs and an assortment of platforming puzzles - in some ways awkwardly overlaps the appeal of Prince of Persia (sans thematically) in a way that Ubi obviously struggle with what to do to properly set them apart.

eshwaaz

Just started; played through the first mission. Good God, the audio mix is horrible. Guns are way too quiet and sound pathetic (and mostly come out of the rear speakers for some reason), while the cutscenes are way too loud and blow out my eardrums.

Games with unsatisfying weapon sounds drive me crazy. It's going to bother me the entire game.

Just started; played through the first mission. Good God, the audio mix is horrible. Guns are way too quiet and sound pathetic (and mostly come out of the rear speakers for some reason), while the cutscenes are way too loud and blow out my eardrums.

Games with unsatisfying weapon sounds drive me crazy. It's going to bother me the entire game.

The sound mix is terrible. I ended up playing the whole thing through a set of headphones.

dreamfall

Also I hear there's an assassination that may become impossible to do if you make a certain choice at the end of the game.

Shit, which assassination? This is what I need to finish- some of those contracts involving gang contracts are fine. Even if you've cleared out (100%) a territory, they seem to spawn as you cause trouble. But if this is true, dammit!

jgminto

Shit, which assassination? This is what I need to finish- some of those contracts involving gang contracts are fine. Even if you've cleared out (100%) a territory, they seem to spawn as you cause trouble. But if this is true, dammit!

I'm guessing it would be
the assassination where you have to kill a bunch of Hos and get a 5 star wanted level with the Morning Star.

So I have pretty much 100% completed the game. I have done all of the missions, sidemissions, assassinations, car thefts, challenges and collectibles. I have all the achievements but one and all I have to do for that is play about 30 minutes more of the game. Easiest game to 100% since AC2. Probably wont be picking up the DLC unless it's amazing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes absolutely with the following exceptions:

The only challenge I've had trouble with is taunting 50 gang members, since almost all of mine have cleared out. Not inpossible to do, just difficult.

Serious? I planned to 100% SR3 but I already took over morningstar area (both) and I didn't steal their vehicle for that side mission and kill 50 specialists. I guess I can't get it anymore right?

Serious? I planned to 100% SR3 but I already took over morningstar area (both) and I didn't steal their vehicle for that side mission and kill 50 specialists. I guess I can't get it anymore right?

No you should be fine on those. You can kill their specialists easily in certain activities (mayhem) and in the cell phone survival missions. That vehicle should spawn in too when you activate the chop shop mission.

I was complaining about the aircraft controls before but was too dumb to realize the game lets you change them to the free view camera that SR2 had.
Advanced aircraft controls are SO much better IMO. Now I can look around the whole aircraft while I fly and fly in proper loops etc, instead of the camera being locked behind it.
Excellent.

I was complaining about the aircraft controls before but was too dumb to realize the game lets you change them to the free view camera that SR2 had.
Advanced aircraft controls are SO much better IMO. Now I can look around the whole aircraft while I fly and fly in proper loops etc, instead of the camera being locked behind it.
Excellent.

I didn't even realize this was a thing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't recall the guy's name but it only becomes available abut halfway through the story progression, maybe a little after. Without spoiling anything the target wants to meet you on an island to duel, and you call him once you get there.

Eusis

I think GTAIV's controls are better for trying to simulate actually being in that world. SR3's are better for being a crazy asshole who drives on the sidewalk and runs over people just to avoid traffic, or even plows through other cars with a properly upgraded vehicle. So I'd say they suit each other just fine.

Dead Man

The what now

The greatest thing ever made, is what. It's an unlock for the Decker missions at some point.

When talking about this game I find myself having to use the term "open world game" over and over. That's pretty understandable given the genre, but I wonder how common these games will become eventually. I mean we rarely get to use the term "levels" anymore in regards to "I'm on the last level of the game", unless the game in question is going for something pseudo old school. Games these days often seamlessly transistion from one level to the next, and they're usually divided into chunks called "acts" or "chapters" if anything.

2D and 3D had a similar transistion period back in 1995-ish when you'd go "3D game" about polygonal stuff. Nowadays the defining term of the two is 2D, because they've become the exception.

I was more or less convinced during the Xbox/PS2/GC era that open world inherently meant less fidelity, and not just in terms of graphics but also in world interaction. Spidey was sorta skidding all over the place, spazzing about, no matter how fondly recieved Spider-Man 2 was, and the GTA games.. well let's just say what they lacked in gameplay finesse they worked off in freedom, immersion, quantity and cinematic quality. Assassin's Creed was staggering to me precisely because it was for all intents and purposes an open world platformer with mechanics and interaction on the level of Sands of Time. Suddenly I realised what an absurd notion it had been that open world games would never reach that kind of sophistication.

Between games like InFamous, Assassin's Creed and this, it's abundantly clear that you can transplant the gameplay from the directed, focused kind of experience into a large "living" space intact, and with the scripting potential of missions within its framework, you can basically set up any degree of authored insanity, if that's your thing as a developer. Meanwhile, establishing a large, convincing, inviting environment lays a foundation for any number of return trips in additional episodes while prepping the next big entry. The Yakuza games make a habit of revisiting the same places over and over, with the addition of content and storylines, while the GTA episodes and RDR expansion quite literally did exactly what I'm suggesting.

So with new hardware making it easier to fit everything under one roof and open world games consistently racking up the lofty metascores, I wonder just how common this genre will become in the coming years. It goes without saying that there's never THE ONE DIRECTION gaming will take, so I'm definitely not suggesting that it'll supplant every other approach to an action/adventure video game, but it's somewhat telling that Assassin's Creed - especially with the later addition of tombs and an assortment of platforming puzzles - in some ways awkwardly overlaps the appeal of Prince of Persia (sans thematically) in a way that Ubi obviously struggle with what to do to properly set them apart.

I was never worried about the fidelity of open world games, I just loved having the space to run around in, but like you I am amazed to see how far they have come. RDR and SRTT in particular have impressed me, with great worlds, but also some amazing missions and scripted experiences.

Gravijah

You need to wait for the "Press Y to store this vehicle" message to show up before leaving the vehicle. It should then get saved to your garage with a confirmation message.

i swear i did. must have just gotten unlucky. it was bitch getting the helijet, too. :'(

Top Bottom