• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

No, but I would expect it to improve somewhat. It's not even good by arcade racing standards. And I'm not comparing to it to just GTAIV here, almost every other open world game with vehicles controls better both this gen and last. The cars feel like weightless toys, and the wheels look like they are floating over the road (wheels don't match up to the road, especially noticeable when you reverse and turn at the same time). The game also lines you up to the road when you power slide into a turn. There is no challenge to the driving at all, it's like the game is driving for you. And the lack of traffic in the game just makes it even easier. It wouldn't be so bad if it was obvious that driving was far down on their list of priorities, but the game has such extensive car upgrades it almost seems like a waste.

Goddamn you must be the least fun person to hang out with. Who the fuck checks out if the wheels look like they are attached to the road? I think most people are too busy, you know, having fun playing the game to notice that stuff.

Goddamn you must be the least fun person to hang out with. Who the fuck checks out if the wheels look like they are attached to the road? I think most people are too busy, you know, having fun playing the game to notice that stuff.
Haha yeah really.

In all seriousness this game is just not meant for you, Pimpbaa. If they were to change the game the way you wanted it to be, it'd piss off probably 80% of the series' fan base. Cover system, realistic driving physics- pschaw!

Brashnir

does the PC version of this game function at all? I can't change anything in the options. The options change in the options screen but they don't actually do anything. I can't invert my Y axis, which pretty much means I can't play at all.

What a piece of shit.

desertdroog

Saints Row was never on my radar due to me assuming it was a GTA clone.

Reading up on the game and seeing live playings of it puts it in my must have camp due to the mayhem sand-box possibilities. Crackdown also scratches this itch.

Now...to brave the crowds tomorrow to try and get one without going insane.

Haha yeah really.

In all seriousness this game is just not meant for you, Pimpbaa. If they were to change the game the way you wanted it to be, it'd piss off probably 80% of the series' fan base. Cover system, realistic driving physics- pschaw!
Nobody's asking for gran turismo here, just a handling model that doesn't feel like you're driving a Micro Machine.

What's the best route to earn cash in the game?

Quick

Banned
Bought a copy at Wal Mart today. Surprised it came with the Dr. Genki pack, since I assumed it was only attainable via pre-order. Guess not.

Is there a way to change character models during the campaign/co-op, or am I stuck with what I have? Not that it matters, since I'm not too far ahead in the campaign. I could just restart with a new character.

Gravijah

i think the handling works fine for sr3. it's supposed to be easy and arcadey, so you can focus on other shit. like the mayhem.

i also say this as someone who thinks the gtaiv car handling is one of the best things about the game.

Quick

Banned
Go to Image as Designed.

Thanks, I'll check it out later.

One of my friends joined my game and we spent a whole hour fighting gangs. My car was gone, and I saw him on my map but he was pretty far off. I had to run and steal another car. That one blew up, but he was closer to me. And just as I got ambushed again, he streaks in with his car, I hopped in, and we got the fuck out. Some Oscar worthy shit right there.

Thats wierd. AI gang members/follows can run out of ammo.
Im in the Steelport equivilant of Time Square, up on a building ledge with my AI team mate, picking off zombies (brains cheat), and suddenly all I can hear is "click click click". He has no ammo left in his pistol. Now he's a liability. I'll fly him down to the street and abandon him. We'll see how long he lasts. Mwahahahaha
His own fauly for not bringing more ammo >:D

Ploid 3.0

Thats wierd. AI gang members/follows can run out of ammo.
Im in the Steelport equivilant of Time Square, up on a building ledge with my AI team mate, picking off zombies (brains cheat), and suddenly all I can hear is "click click click". He has no ammo left in his pistol. Now he's a liability. I'll fly him down to the street and abandon him. We'll see how long he lasts. Mwahahahaha
His own fauly for not bringing more ammo >:D

Cold blooded. Going to finish story to finally start using cheats.

TGMIII

Saints Row was never on my radar due to me assuming it was a GTA clone.

Reading up on the game and seeing live playings of it puts it in my must have camp due to the mayhem sand-box possibilities. Crackdown also scratches this itch.

Now...to brave the crowds tomorrow to try and get one without going insane.

I assumed the same with SR2 and seeing that I haven't liked a GTA game since 3 and didn't like the look of the humour in SR2 I nearly gave SR3 a miss but it's easily one of the best games I've played this year so far.

SmokyDave

i think the handling works fine for sr3. it's supposed to be easy and arcadey, so you can focus on other shit. like the mayhem.

i also say this as someone who thinks the gtaiv car handling is one of the best things about the game.

I share your opinion. I love the driving in GTA4 (it's pretty much the only thing I love about the game) but I think the arcade style 'powerslide everywhere' handling in SR3 works great for the style of the game.

I'm also getting awesome at lining up huge powerslides through fast moving traffic. So much fun.

I can't get the saintsrow.com site working for shit. I had an account linked to my PSN one already since the demo and I've uploaded some pictures but... I can't find them anywhere and my profile is empty. I tried making a new account with the same name but now I can't log into any of them :/

I've seen something like an "activation code" on the in-game stats, do I need to do something with it?

benjipwns

Banned
I can't get the saintsrow.com site working for shit. I had an account linked to my PSN one already since the demo and I've uploaded some pictures but... I can't find them anywhere and my profile is empty. I tried making a new account with the same name but now I can't log into any of them :/

I've seen something like an "activation code" on the in-game stats, do I need to do something with it?
Did you try going to "Community" on the main menu and logging in there?

jgminto

Is there any split-screen (couch multiplayer) in this game?

Online only.

I don't think you need the code. If you can get it to log in to the account with it linked, click on your username on the top right corner. That should send you to the profile page. Click the uploads tab and then the Screenshots tab. It should show thumbnails of all the pictures you have taken.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Online only.

I don't think you need the code. If you can get it to log in to the account with it linked, click on your username on the top right corner. That should send you to the profile page. Click the uploads tab and then the Screenshots tab. It should show thumbnails of all the pictures you have taken.

Thanks.
I guess I'll go with PC then... Unless it doesn't like AMD cards.

benjipwns

Banned
Thanks.
I guess I'll go with PC then... Unless it doesn't like AMD cards.
It can be hit and miss depending on your setup, but I guess they're working on it. Which is ironic since the game starts up with an AMD promo but is apparently working best on NVIDIA currently.

derFeef

Have not seen this yet.
5FVvs.jpg

<3 Volition.
Missing EP3

dreamfall

I can confirm that all assassination missions are possible after completing the game to 100%. Started doing them after I had taken over every territory, and just finished them all (feels good man!).

It seems like if you head to the area and cause destruction for gang related ones, Volition was keen on having gang members spawn so you can take out your target. All of them worked! No worrying necessary! Don't think I'll ever get that Complete all Challenges achievement because of the gang taunting one (do that early on).

Such an awesome game!

jgminto

I can confirm that all assassination missions are possible after completing the game to 100%. Started doing them after I had taken over every territory, and just finished them all (feels good man!).

It seems like if you head to the area and cause destruction for gang related ones, Volition was keen on having gang members spawn so you can take out your target. All of them worked! No worrying necessary! Don't think I'll ever get that Complete all Challenges achievement because of the gang taunting one (do that early on).

Such an awesome game!

Have you done the Kenshin Superbike Vehicle Theft mission? If not that's a pretty easy way to get it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is this game as good as Giant Bomb has led me to believe? I'm very tempted to pick it up.

jgminto

Dammit! I did all the vehicle missions before the assassination ones. Should've paced it better!

Hmm. Well maybe you can try and do it in someone else's co-op game. I don't know if it will work but when I load up my character all of my challenge progress is there. Try that out.

dreamfall

Hmm. Well maybe you can try and do it in someone else's co-op game. I don't know if it will work but when I load up my character all of my challenge progress is there. Try that out.

I will definitely attempt that- thanks for the suggestion! This game, the insanity. I couldn't pull away from it!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Where is the cheapest place I can get saints row 3? It's 40 usd on greenmangaming atm, anywhere one could get it for cheaper?

Question about the Season Pass, that only includes the Story/Mission DLC and not any extras like the shark gun?

Also, any recommendations for what car to use for the Snatch activities?

jgminto

Question about the Season Pass, that only includes the Story/Mission DLC and not any extras like the shark gun?

Also, any recommendations for what car to use for the Snatch activities?

It seems it only gives you the missions and the bonus Nyteblade pack.

For Snatch it usually drops a reinforced 4 seater vehicle when you start. You don't really need to bring one.

It seems it only gives you the missions and the bonus Nyteblade pack.

For Snatch it usually drops a reinforced 4 seater vehicle when you start. You don't really need to bring one.

Ah cheers, will give it a miss for now then.

It does? Brillaint! One of my hates in the other two was getting a decent car for the Snatch missions, so thats a nice bonus.

lupinko

This is pretty much looking like my personal GOTY thus far and has pretty much busted my gaming funk too. Thanks Volition and THQ!!!

99 problems and money laudering ain't one.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I bought it. I'm praying to the pc-gods that it works flawlessly on my pc.

Just finished it.
This game is AMAZING. I didn't expect much and came out with a serious GOTY contender, even if it doesn't make it to my top 3 this year. Kudos, Volition.

-BLITZ-

Any suggestions on which gender and voice to pick for the most fitting and funniest dialogue?

For the male I picked the second voice if you wish to be african american. They blend very good. Is the same voice I used in SR2 and I'M SO HAPPY that this voice is back (tears). It sounds really to like a boss in some ugly situations; like he really want to kick someones butt.

For the female voice I took the third one; Smooooth and sweet.

Top Bottom