• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

I just love the way you can jump into cars in this game, I do it all the time!
1261893088449314377odkj.jpg

126189308844931513l0diy.jpg

My character, a little undressed :p
126189308844931060alc4h.jpg

1261893088449306115ldze.jpg

Sorry for the shitty quality pics, they're from the Saints website, I made them a bit smaller to compensate the terrible image quality.

jgminto

Nothing game breaking, but was it just me or did characters refer to your character as "he", even though your character is a girl. Thought it was pretty odd, but nothing distracting.

I've only heard that in the Genki/
Murderbrawl
sections with the commentators.

Dead Man

You're the best. Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.

I find it hard to pick a favourite mission, they're really all just that good. Even something reasonably straightforward like Trojan Whores is just so perfectly executed.

Yeah, the actual missions (not the activity tutorials) are brilliant, I can't believe there is no mission replay for them!

dreamfall

Well, I played co-op with a good friend last night and I swear it was a million times crazier! "Beware of MOM" breather screenshot, before blowing up a yellow school bus and skydiving. I just wish both characters were shown in the cutscenes! Still, so fucking brilliant!

rlKEp.jpg

madkiller

Finished the game but my stats say that I have two more missions. What am I missing?

P.S. Greatest single player campaign of the year.

SlickVic

Yeah, the actual missions (not the activity tutorials) are brilliant, I can't believe there is no mission replay for them!

Yeah, seems rather odd to take that out. It's one thing if this series never had an option for mission replays (still would've been disappointing), but the fact it was in SR2 and someone seemingly made a conscious decision NOT to bring it back for this game...what were they thinking? Also, why did the cutscene replay have to go as well?

Anyways, definitely love SR3 and props to Volition for creating such a fun game, just feel a bit annoyed they took that out.

Qatar

I remember in SR2, one time I went to the top of a huge building, to wanted to jump down with a parachute, as soon as got there I saw a person there stepping off the building to suicide O_O that was one of my favorite "WTF" moments in gaming. Did any of you encounter something like that in SR2 or SR3 ?

Dead Man

I remember in SR2, one time I went to the top of a huge building, to wanted to jump down with a parachute, as soon as got there I saw a person there stepping off the building to suicide O_O that was one of my favorite "WTF" moments in gaming. Did any of you encounter something like that in SR2 or SR3 ?

The crypt under the cemetery in SR2 was pretty WTF for me, and the guy falling from the sky into the open grave. I think Stillwater is a better city than Steelport, it had more variety in the locales. Steelport is pretty awesome though.

Best sandbox game this gen. I love this game.

Too many awesome moments to even pick from, and the dialogue is hilarious. The absurdity of this game really lightens up all the serious games I've played lately (AC Revelations, Batman: AC, Uncharted 3, etc.).

Nothing game breaking, but was it just me or did characters refer to your character as "he", even though your character is a girl. Thought it was pretty odd, but nothing distracting.

I dont know why, but it feels like they treat my character as a girl (1st girl voice). Or maybe is because in the spanish subtitles (the game is still voiced in english) they call you with female names like "jefa" (female boss). But for example when she talks with
Burt Reynolds
the scene feels like if you were a girl. Ive read some where that if you choose the female russian voice your main character starts to flirt with Pierce and vice versa.

SlickVic

I dont know why, but it feels like they treat my character as a girl (1st girl voice). Or maybe is because in the spanish subtitles (the game is still voiced in english) they call you with female names like "jefa" (female boss). But for example when she talks with
Burt Reynolds
the scene feels like if you were a girl. Ive read some where that if you choose the female russian voice your main character starts to flirt with Pierce and vice versa.

Yeah, I want to say there's a least a few missions where a main character will call a female character "chick" or something else to acknowledge gender. I also think pedestrians refer to it as well, with comments like "She's pretty" or "her outfit is skimpy", but I guess they could be talking about another pedestrian in the vicinity.

Yeah, I want to say there's a least a few missions where a main character will call a female character "chick" or something else to acknowledge gender. I also think pedestrians refer to it as well, with comments like "She's pretty" or "her outfit is skimpy", but I guess they could be talking about another pedestrian in the vicinity.
Pedestrians definitely respond to you differently depending on if you're a man or a woman. To see this very easily, try streaking as both.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have a GTX570 and I have updated the Nvidia drivers. I'm just playing in windowed mode for now.
Weird, I have the same card and have had no issues. Though I've been on the beta drivers that came out at BF3 launch. Haven't had a reason to move up yet from those since they seem to just work fine with everything so far.

slade

Do you still need to do activities in this game to open up the story missions? I hated that in Saints Row 2.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Yeah, seems rather odd to take that out. It's one thing if this series never had an option for mission replays (still would've been disappointing), but the fact it was in SR2 and someone seemingly made a conscious decision NOT to bring it back for this game...what were they thinking? Also, why did the cutscene replay have to go as well?

Anyways, definitely love SR3 and props to Volition for creating such a fun game, just feel a bit annoyed they took that out.

Could be wrong as I've only played a few hours, but I accidentally stumbled across a mission I'd already played by running up to a blue marker. It loaded the level and I was able to play the same mission I'd completed before. I'd imagine this is consistent throughout the game? Maybe the replay markers are non-existent/poorly labelled on the map.

Could be wrong as I've only played a few hours, but I accidentally stumbled across a mission I'd already played by running up to a blue marker. It loaded the level and I was able to play the same mission I'd completed before. I'd imagine this is consistent throughout the game? Maybe the replay markers are non-existent/poorly labelled on the map.
That's an activity, separate from story missions which you activate by calling someone up on your phone.

benjipwns

Banned
Those are only the activities, some of the missions have you do activities as a "tutorial" and you can replay those.

SlickVic

Sounds like you replayed a side activity? I think the first instance of a side activity is introduced as a main mission which you can proceed to find on the map and replay, but I don't think there's a way to replay the regular story missions like you could in SR2.

Edit: beaten

Hey OneLetter, it's nice you guys put in the screenshot capability but the way it's currently implemented it's a pain in the ass. As it stands now once you're in your upload section you have to name the images, make them public, save them, go to another page and find them on a map, and then take a screen capture of your computer since you can't actually save directly. It would make it about a hundred times more user friendly if we could just view the photos at full size in the upload section and save them to our computer. Thanks.

Bread

Banned
I love the random shit happening around the city as I drive around. I saw Professor Genki running around killing everyone so I had to kill him, but now I feel bad.

Also, the upgrade system is awesome. It makes a huge difference in the gameplay, although some of the upgrades (the no damage taken from stuff) are way too overpowered.

I love the random shit happening around the city as I drive around. I saw Professor Genki running around killing everyone so I had to kill him, but now I feel bad.

Also, the upgrade system is awesome. It makes a huge difference in the gameplay, although some of the upgrades (the no damage taken from stuff) are way too overpowered.

But that comes in the last levels (48-50), If you beat the game fast you will probably not get near that numbers. The secondary stuff is more fun in my opinion with what those levels bring (infinite ammo, infinite granades, no bullet harm...), im like a fucking walking tank right now :lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm trying the game out with Onlive. I got the 5-day trial, but now I really want to whole game. My character is as close to Link as possible, and I gave him the zombie voice because Link can't talk dammit. I worry that I'm missing out on some hilarious or important dialogue, but the upside is imagining everyone else in the game is able to understand zombie speak.

Burt Reynolds

Psychotic Russian femme-fatale is the best. Regarding the bolded
I don't recall that happening, beyond general playful and mildly flirtatious banter. She actually spends a lot of time teasing him about Shaundi.

One thing I do recall, during the mission where you disguise yourself as Cyrus and hit the STAG HQ, the lines recorded for "Cyrus" are specific to her, though I assumed that was the case for all of the voices.

And I may have mentioned this before, but the delivery on these lines was one of the moments I had to pause the game until I stopped laughing:

Shaundi: Are you serious? That sounds like a really bad idea.
Player: Not at all, it makes you feel alive. Like attacking a tiger with a knife!
Shaundi: See? Also a shitty idea!

plainr_

I'm trying the game out with Onlive. I got the 5-day trial, but now I really want to whole game. My character is as close to Link as possible, and I gave him the zombie voice because Link can't talk dammit. I worry that I'm missing out on some hilarious or important dialogue, but the upside is imagining everyone else in the game is able to understand zombie speak.

I already beat the game on Onlive but I'm considering getting it for PS3. The game is just fantastic.

Planning to replay the game on co-op.

benjipwns

Banned
Psychotic Russian femme-fatale is the best. Regarding the bolded
I don't recall that happening, beyond general playful and mildly flirtatious banter.
There's her "future plans if they survive" during the final mission when they're all discussing theirs.

Levi

Banned
Playing on 360, fully upgraded a stronghold and completed my first challenge 100%, didn't get the achievement for either. I have no cheats activated (or even unlocked). I do have the season pass. WTF.

There's her "future plans if they survive" during the final mission when they're all discussing theirs.

I took that as a joke between two friends who aren't attracted to each other actually, sort of like

"hey if we survive this you and me should hook up!"
"good thing we're both gonna die, right?"
"hahahaha totes for defs"

Playing on 360, fully upgraded a stronghold and completed my first challenge 100%, didn't get the achievement for either. I have no cheats activated (or even unlocked). I do have the season pass. WTF.
Try saving (maybe make a separate save) and reloading. I had this issue too with the do all challenges achievement, and once I reloaded my save it unlocked right away.

Foxix Von

Alright so.... I don't typically like open world games but I totally forgot this was made by volition. Red Faction Guerrilla is the only open world game I've played that I've ever fallen madly in love with.

If I like RFG what are the odds that I'll like this?

Levi

Banned
Try saving (maybe make a separate save) and reloading. I had this issue too with the do all challenges achievement, and once I reloaded my save it unlocked right away.

Did that and 5 achievements popped, but I'm still missing at least two -- The cheevo for finishing The Ho Boat and the fully upgrade the Stronghold. Fix this shit, GG.

Did that and 5 achievements popped, but I'm still missing at least two -- The cheevo for finishing The Ho Boat and the fully upgrade the Stronghold. Fix this shit, GG.
Oh... Well then I'm sorry but you may be hosed. I've heard sometimes getting into a co-op match can make achievements pop too although I've never seen this first hand.

OneLetter

Hey OneLetter, it's nice you guys put in the screenshot capability but the way it's currently implemented it's a pain in the ass. As it stands now once you're in your upload section you have to name the images, make them public, save them, go to another page and find them on a map, and then take a screen capture of your computer since you can't actually save directly. It would make it about a hundred times more user friendly if we could just view the photos at full size in the upload section and save them to our computer. Thanks.

I agree and it's something we're working on. The plan is to make it similar to characters, where you just click on the small thumbnail in your uploads section, and it blows up right there, with an option to download. We still have a few other features coming to the website in the near future, but this (and a few other adjustments/improvements) are on my list.

I agree and it's something we're working on. The plan is to make it similar to characters, where you just click on the small thumbnail in your uploads section, and it blows up right there, with an option to download. We still have a few other features coming to the website in the near future, but this (and a few other adjustments/improvements) are on my list.

Great news, thanks.

Top Bottom