• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Watching my roomate play this. Looks like so much goddamn fun, can't wait to hop in once he's finished.

He's currently doing the Japanese gameshow mission.

Why aren't you playing with him? The co-op is the best part.

Game runs like shit on my PC, unfortunately.

got it as I read everywhere they improved the performance a lot from Saints row 2, and my PC met the recommended specs.

I get like 15-20 fps when I hop in a car and 20-25 fps running around even on 720p and everything on low. Bummer, should have gone with the PS3 version. I've been hearing so much good stuff about this game.

So, I'm on my second playthrough, and my car torpedoes never seem to count. I don't remember any problem on my first run through, anyone else have this?

Weirdly enough, it only seems to count when you bail out just before your car hits a wall, nothing else (pedestrians, garbage cans etc.) at least that's my experience.

Best place to do it for the Saints Book challenge is the airport, just drive around ramming brick walls and hangers.

Dead Man

Weirdly enough, it only seems to count when you bail out just before your car hits a wall, nothing else (pedestrians, garbage cans etc.) at least that's my experience.

Best place to do it for the Saints Book challenge is the airport, just drive around ramming brick walls and hangers.
Thanks, I'll try that.
New look, new voice actress, new personality... They may as well have just made a new character.
Indeed. I miss old Shaundi.
That's not Shaundi. Also it's impossible to make a hot girl charcter for some reason.

I don't know... I like this one of mine:

cvgr.png

and this one:

t6oFD.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
New look, new voice actress, new personality... They may as well have just made a new character.
I'd think what happens in the opening of the game easily explains her change in personality/behavior. Whether it continues or she eventually gets back to her old self remains to be seen.

Shaneus

That's not Shaundi.
Yeah, I really don't get that. If it looks nothing like her, sounds nothing like her, acts nothing like her... why give her the same name? Slap a different name on her, give the main character a line like "Geez, it's a shame Shaundi had to die in that bizarre gasoline fight accident" then call it a day.

danmaku

I once hit a car in the oncoming lane with mine and it still counted as car tropedo.

Aske

FINALLY had a chance to play this game. Not had any gaming time for weeks, so the anticipation has been killing me. Haven't checked this thread at all.

First impressions? It's better than I dared hope. It's just like SR2, but with the polish turned up to 11. Loving the characters and story, the weapons are magnificent (the Mollusk launcher is genius, but even the basic handguns feel great), and I love the upgrade system. The awesome button is the most significant addition to the gameplay, and I don't think random wrestling moves, flying human-shield takedowns, and sprint car-jackings will ever get old.

So far it seems very Mass Effect 2: it makes a lot of stuff sleeker, more intuitive, and much deeper; but at the same time it loses some of the complexity that made the previous game fun. I miss the interactive TV, wardrobe, and crib upgrade system (yes, SR3, I know I need to press triangle to access my crib - please stop breaking the immersion), the layered clothing, the hand to hand fighting styles, and unlocking upgrades by completing diversions. On the other hand, I love the new takedown system, the upgradable weapons, the varied enemy types, and the new diversions. It's a very reasonable trade off, and it prevents the last game from feeling obsolete. Just like Mass Effect 1/2, I know I'll continue to replay both games for different reasons.

Not that it needs to be said again, but seriously, for anyone still on the fence...this game is so fun. Favourite unexpected moment so far was during the Guardian Angels mission. I took out a car with a rocket, and the driver somehow flew up right into the Boss's face and ragdolled into the chopper before plummeting back down to earth. There is nothing in gaming that has given me so much unexpected joy as Saints Row physics.

Also: secret to making a good looking female? Mouth Depth 30, Chin Depth 30, Chin Elevation 30. Anything else you want to do is obvious - when you fix a nose, for example, you can generally see what you're doing as you do it. But adjusting any of the above three values looks bizarre until you do them all together; at which point you suddenly find you've made an attractive face that not only looks good in the character creator, but also translates perfectly to the cut scenes.

FINALLY had a chance to play this game. Not had any gaming time for weeks, so the anticipation has been killing me. Haven't checked this thread at all.

First impressions? It's better than I dared hope. It's just like SR2, but with the polish turned up to 11. Loving the characters and story, the weapons are magnificent (the Mollusk launcher is genius, but even the basic handguns feel great), and I love the upgrade system. The awesome button is the most significant addition to the gameplay, and I don't think random wrestling moves, flying human-shield takedowns, and sprint car-jackings will ever get old.

So far it seems very Mass Effect 2: it makes a lot of stuff sleeker, more intuitive, and much deeper; but at the same time it loses some of the complexity that made the previous game fun. I miss the interactive TV, wardrobe, and crib upgrade system (yes, SR3, I know I need to press triangle to access my crib - please stop breaking the immersion), the layered clothing, the hand to hand fighting styles, and unlocking upgrades by completing diversions. On the other hand, I love the new takedown system, the upgradable weapons, the varied enemy types, and the new diversions. It's a very reasonable trade off, and it prevents the last game from feeling obsolete. Just like Mass Effect 1/2, I know I'll continue to replay both games for different reasons.

Not that it needs to be said again, but seriously, for anyone still on the fence...this game is so fun. Favourite unexpected moment so far was during the Guardian Angels mission. I took out a car with a rocket, and the driver somehow flew up right into the Boss's face and ragdolled into the chopper before plummeting back down to earth. There is nothing in gaming that has given me so much unexpected joy as Saints Row physics.

Also: secret to making a good looking female? Mouth Depth 25, Chin Depth 20, Chin Elevation 20. Anything else you want to do is obvious - when you fix a nose, for example, you can generally see what you're doing as you do it. But adjusting any of the above three values looks bizarre until you do them all together; at which point you suddenly find you've made an attractive face that not only looks good in the character creator, but also translates perfectly to the cut scenes.

Will try this, thanks!

Still waiting for my PS3 copy to arrive

I've played it on the 360, it's totally fine in my opinion.
People REALLY shouldn't be saying things like this when we have objective analysis to point to that brings up major issues. The 360 version has some of the worst tearing In any game released this generation. Fact. Whether that bothers you or not is academic, it's there and it is potentially game breaking for anyone that has issued with tearing. So please don't gloss over it.

SmokyDave

Okay, I'll say it. The secret to creating an attractive female character in SR3 is to not give her comically oversized boobs.

Pffft, the bigger the norks, the hotter the character. I wish the slider went to 300.

I can't articulate how much joy this game has given me. Just coming to the end of my first playthrough (70ish hours) and I can't wait to start again. Bring on the DLC!

Erasus

People REALLY shouldn't be saying things like this when we have objective analysis to point to that brings up major issues. The 360 version has some of the worst tearing In any game released this generation. Fact. Whether that bothers you or not is academic, it's there and it is potentially game breaking for anyone that has issued with tearing. So please don't gloss over it.

I agree, the Castlevania LoS thread was hilarious for this. I mean for that game it is fine for me, BUT I´ll always link to DF and point out the horrible framerate.

Game runs like shit on my PC, unfortunately.

got it as I read everywhere they improved the performance a lot from Saints row 2, and my PC met the recommended specs.

I get like 15-20 fps when I hop in a car and 20-25 fps running around even on 720p and everything on low. Bummer, should have gone with the PS3 version. I've been hearing so much good stuff about this game.

I'm sorry to say that the PS3 version (supposedly the better one) DOES drop to something pretty low (maybe 20 fps, the input lag definitely makes it feel like 20) whenever you are driving a car. Motion blur (WHY) and streaming stutter makes me want to go walking everywhere :/

I'd say you should try to edit .inis or something to make it run better on PC before buying a console version, but that's just my opinion.

BTW, I'm on http://www.saintsrow.com/steelport/content/screenshots and I see all of them in thumbnail form, can change the name, make public... but how do I actually open them and save them? :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
As a followup to this, looks like Volition won't be patching in mission replay ever:

and now here is IdolNinja ( Gentlemen of the row-steelport/replay mission mod guy) response on what V-Singular said.
http://idolninja.com/blog/?p=1236#comments
IdolNinja says:
December 5, 2011

I don’t buy it either. They simply do not want to dedicate time and resources to it. It’s as simple as that. Also, our code doesn’t allow for exploits. You do not reprocess unlocks when replaying missions so cannot redo choices. They don’t stick.

It's funny that he made the replay mod working and almost done in 16 hours...while Vol guys don't even bother and came up with the lame excuses.

Dead Man

and now here is IdolNinja ( Gentlemen of the row-steelport/replay mission mod guy) response on what V-Singular said.

It's funny that he made the replay mod working and almost done in 16 hours...while Vol guys don't even bother and came up with the lame excuses.

I think I will have to double dip on this game in a few months. Volition are so close to being at the top of table in terms of quality, but they keep doing stupid things like this which drive me nuts.

I think I will have to double dip on this game in a few months. Volition are so close to being at the top of table in terms of quality, but they keep doing stupid things like this which drive me nuts.

If you do get the PC version, add me on Steam and I'll gladly co-op it all the way through with ya. Any excuse to play this again, it's just pure bloody magic.

SlickVic

Haha, that's awesome. As mentioned before, the exploits thing just sounded like someone at Volition or THQ said "oh god, there's a 60+ page thread on the official forums on mission replays, find a way to get rid of it". But whatever, it's great this game has an awesome modding community, so we get this stuff anyways.

danmaku

Display.ini file in Saints Row 3 steam folder and then just edit the motion blur to false I guess.

Thx, I'll try. DX11 effects are nice, but the motion blur is excessive and it just makes the city harder to navigate, I can barely see what's around my car!

Oh my god. I'm so sorry guys. I should never have stated my opinion, when there are COLD HARD SCIENTIFIC FACTS in opposition. I can only hope that whatever reputation I have here has not been irrevocably damaged by the feelings I have expressed.

Even though the fine gentlemen over at Digital Foundry say the 360 version is perfectly adequate, they did however express a preference for the PS3 version. Their word is the law.

Everyone who I have told that the 360 version is acceptable: please throw your 360 along with a copy of this game in the dumpster. It is garbage; pure garbage. If you can buy a PS3 or a PC and a copy of this game for that platform, if you haven't already, please do so. God forbid your leisure hours are marred by the idea that there is a slightly better version out there of what you are playing.

Thank you Brain Stew for bringing this very important matter to my attention.

Ploid 3.0

lol, I don't know, I think it's good for any platform, unless you have a GPU that has problems with the game right now. I'd rather a few screen tears than 2 - 32.55fps.

MYeager

There's an option in the game to turn V-sync on which eliminates this issue. The trade off is a choppier framerate when driving fast, but it doesn't dip very much and doesn't enter choppy territory.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I just finished this last night on 360, screen-tearing be damned. Kinda wish I purchased it on PC now that I see the mission replay mod is coming (seriously - what a ridiculous decision to remove that feature) but overall the game was incredible fun. Funny dialogue, inventive mission scenarios, the whole nine. A little unpolished, but still an amazing experience and grinding to level 50 didn't feel like a grind at all. That's really hard to pull off. Nice work, Volition!

Oh my god. I'm so sorry guys. I should never have stated my opinion, when there are COLD HARD SCIENTIFIC FACTS in opposition.
lol Tea Party lol

MMaRsu

I just finished this last night on 360, screen-tearing be damned. Kinda wish I purchased it on PC now that I see the mission replay mod is coming (seriously - what a ridiculous decision to remove that feature) but overall the game was incredible fun. Funny dialogue, inventive mission scenarios, the whole nine. A little unpolished, but still an amazing experience and grinding to level 50 didn't feel like a grind at all. That's really hard to pull off. Nice work, Volition!

lol Tea Party lol

:)

Xanathus

Is there a way to tweak the LOD on the PC version to make it higher, or maybe increase the vehicle and pedestrian spawns? The world feels a bit empty and it's very jarring when I see cars and pedestrians popping up out of nowhere while driving. It's especially noticeable when flying around on a jet because the cars and people will literally pop into existence if you look downwards while landing.

There's an option in the game to turn V-sync on which eliminates this issue. The trade off is a choppier framerate when driving fast, but it doesn't dip very much and doesn't enter choppy territory.

Yeah, turn on V-sync, really had no real choppiness when playing with it on 360.

coopolon

Probably should have either waited on this game or picked it up consoles. I'm really excited for it, but it's running like garbage on my computer. C2Duo 3Ghz and 5870. It must be my processor because dropping the resolution as low as it goes and every graphical setting to the bare minimum and I still get FPS in the teens.

Edit: What kind of framerates do the consoles get? I went in expecting to get console like performance because of my dated cpu, but this isn't even close.

Probably should have either waited on this game or picked it up consoles. I'm really excited for it, but it's running like garbage on my computer. C2Duo 3Ghz and 5870. It must be my processor because dropping the resolution as low as it goes and every graphical setting to the bare minimum and I still get FPS in the teens.

Edit: What kind of framerates do the consoles get? I went in expecting to get console like performance because of my dated cpu, but this isn't even close.

Should be roughly 30FPS

Shai-Tan

Banned

must be the fact that you only have dual core. i was playing it on a 3.0ghz phenom II and it runs good in ultra with a 6950

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's some weird performance bug that seems to be affecting a lot of AMD configs. Mostly 5xxx cards. Changing the res or settings won't raise the fps either.

Top Bottom