• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

coopolon

As great as this game looks and as many polishes they've put onto it, I still kind of just want to go back and play Saints Row 2. I guess I should get farther in the story, I've barely started it. Hopefully more stuff unlocks as I progress because right now the city is boring as hell.

Mission replay mod has just been released
http://idolninja.com/blog/?p=1242
nice! :D Hopefully there is a time change mod

So with the
Apoca-Fists
and
Killbane's Mask
unlocks...
It is a one-time choice right? There is no way to get both of them on the same save?
I haven't beaten the game yet, but there are near the end of the game correct? Why not get the other one after completion? It seems kind of lame to have an open-world game that they want you to go crazy in and then lock you out of getting one of the cool items. It certainly makes that choice more important, but I don't know. I want to use both of them.
It is a one time choice, but there is a work around for it. Make a save before that mission. Choose the
mask
then go to any image as designed and upload that character wearing it. Reload your save then choose the
fist
. You can have both at the same time now after you redownload your character :)

SmokyDave

It is a one time choice, but there is a work around for it. Make a save before that mission. Choose the
mask
then go to any image as designed and upload that character wearing it. Reload your save then choose the
fist
You crafty devil!

I'll be doing that this evening. I had the presence of mind to make different saves after major missions :)

Ploid 3.0

My level 4 pistol with exploding bullets thoroughly disagrees with this statement.

I like the armor piercing pistol personally. It seems to drop everything fast even if it's not a head shot.

Okay so
Killbane's mask
isn't that useless compared to the other one. If you taunt with it,
it lights people on fire

Holy crap!! I did not know this...

I did have something funny happen to me last night. I had a long day at work and ate a huge dinner when I got home, so I wasn't surprised when I got tired out of nowhere at 9 or so. I was playing the game and flying a helicoptor to one of my last diversions I needed to do. I get there, figure I will do a basejumping challenge while in the air, and fly to max helicoptor height. Then a bail out. I woke up to the sound of me splatting against the concrete and dying. Apparently I fell asleep after jumping out of the chopper and failed to open my parachute. I was pretty amazed.
I called it quits for the night after getting into a firefight and falling asleep and waking up to find myself spawned at the hospital. Musta gotten blasted...

Having played this for 70+ hours, I had a ton of fighting to stay awake moments. When I'm driving it's like I'm drunk, nothing spectacular like yours. I was going to ask people if they found themselves fighting to stay awake while playing this game too much.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I like the armor piercing pistol personally. It seems to drop everything fast even if it's not a head shot.

Have you tried the exploding pistols? Cause they drop people in generally 1 hit regardless of where you hit them and you can blow up cars in like 2 seconds of sustained fire. They are hilariously overpowered.

Ploid 3.0

Have you tried the exploding pistols? Cause they drop people in generally 1 hit regardless of where you hit them and you can blow up cars in like 2 seconds of sustained fire. They are hilariously overpowered.

Yeah, I got the armor piercing much later. I also like shooting the pilots in helicopters with them. Seem to take fewer bullets. It's probably not as powerful as the exploding rounds but it just seems satisfying to me. Like Ghost snipes in Star Craft 2 or something.

SmokyDave

obonicus

I'm glad that the DLC weapons will be upgradeable. My character has like 2 million cash, and needs to spend it on something.

dreamfall

So, I'm on my second playthrough, and my car torpedoes never seem to count. I don't remember any problem on my first run through, anyone else have this?

Hey, wondering about this as well! It seems like a percentage counter shows up, things blow up, but it never gets added to the Saints Book- maybe it has something to do with upgraded characters?

Edit: Looked back, saw Neuromancer's reply. Thanks for the tip!

SmokyDave

Under DLC Tab at the Main Menu. Its Called the Shark-O-Matic.

Ah shit. I've got a UK PC copy so the DLC doesn't work*. No Shark Gun for Dave :(

*Certainly hasn't worked every time I've tried it, it just redirects you to the absent Steam page. Can't find a way to buy DLC from THQ directly.

MYeager

A video for the new DLC released today.

Explosive Combat brings bigger bangs. 160 MP nets you an M2 Grenade Launcher and the Future Soldier Outfit.

The Z Style pack is a homage to pimpster's pimpster Zimos. It contains a "bold and pimpalicious outfit" and the Bling Shotgun, and also costs 160 MP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKd0q6xf6TU&context=C28e30ADOEgsToPDskKzijkcWG-Ov2jYYou3tTSv

If the videos for the DLC that are on disk are correct, then there should be a fantasy pack with knight/samurai armor coming out after that. Still amazes me that they're selling stuff locked on the disk as DLC even for the people who bought the season pass on top of buying the game new.

EYEL1NER

mask
fist
Nice. I'll have to remember this.

MMaRsu

If the videos for the DLC that are on disk are correct, then there should be a fantasy pack with knight/samurai armor coming out after that. Still amazes me that they're selling stuff locked on the disk as DLC even for the people who bought the season pass on top of buying the game new.
Yup. Im not gonna buy shit.

Dan Yo

Banned
Yup. Makes me wish I had waited and bought the game cheaper or used. Will remember this for the next THQ release.

It's no wonder the game feels like it's missing content in comparison to SR2. Much of it appears to be locked on the disc and being sold off in chunks.

coopolon

We'll probably get good superficial content mods like clothes, cars, and guns. But I'm not very hopeful about mission mods. I remember reading in Gentlemen of the Row info that they did add a few missions, but I never saw them when I was using it.

Can't get enough of this game. I was sore about not having enough time to devote to it at first, but I've come to think of it as prolonging my excitement :p

I've barely done any missions at all, I can't seem to get enough of just commandeering vehicles and running face first into firefights with gang operations. Sounds like I need to get back to the missions as there's more to do than I even thought.

That future combat outfit looks fairly lame, not even as cool as the
STAG one you get at the end of
the game. Think I'll pass. I did buy the shark gun a while back, it is a lot of fun to use.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yup. Im not gonna buy shit.

same i won't buy anyof this junk..all stuff withheld is rediculous..maybe next year ill buy the new mission bundles on steam sale but ill wait for the gentlemen of the row: the third for new outfits and weapons

Ploid 3.0

Not supporting dlc on the disk here either. Heck I don't think I'd buy it anyway, it looks like easy costume swaps, and since they limited the amount of costume customization I bet tere's a ton more stored on the disk. Volition don't need to do stuff like this if they want fans. It's like a store charging it's regular customers for a glass of water. Loyalty goes a long way. This little bite size dlc sprinkled here and there makes the game seem like a vehicle to sell crap.

I suspect part of the reason the stuff is on disc is so people who don't buy the DLC can play with people who do, which was a huge problem in SR2. I'm not defending it, but I think that's why they do it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
on a positive note I finished the main story line last night.. absolute blast.Very well done.

I also did something that is probably well known but didn't dawn on me.
I sat outside a crib area and proceeded to start a war called in Gat then summoned a zombie hoard.
Once the hord arrived I used up dpad to make them part of my group then zoned up to penthouse. the 3 zombies come with ya then went rampent thru the penthouse killing everyone in the crib LOL bloody hillarious! those poor strippers and Johns LOL

Ploid 3.0

I like how they have one whole category in the character wardrobe for one item (the bandanna on the face) at the moment. They probably knocked out 6 items faster than they got the menu to work.

Prezhulio

I like how they have one whole category in the character wardrobe for one item (the bandanna on the face) at the moment. They probably knocked out 6 items faster than they got the menu to work.
Hmm you're right, even the
gas mask
is considered a "head" item.

Ponti

I always assumed the bandana was separated from the head/sunglasses menu so you could wear hats and shades with it considering it doesn't actually cover the head.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so apparently the pc version is $30 (£19.99) from uk thq store today and comes with genki + dlc season pass, seems like the best deal you'll get (even out of the steam holiday sale i wouldn't expect it below $30), until next year sometime. http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_GB/pd/Saints-Row-The-Third/productID.233244200#purchaseDetails

any known region locking issues with playing in america? or once it's registered to your steam account all things are equal?

O wow I'm tempted to get that just for the season pass then just sell off the genki code and extra game code.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
so apparently the pc version is $30 (£19.99) from uk thq store today and comes with genki + dlc season pass, seems like the best deal you'll get (even out of the steam holiday sale i wouldn't expect it below $30), until next year sometime. http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_GB/pd/Saints-Row-The-Third/productID.233244200#purchaseDetails

any known region locking issues with playing in america? or once it's registered to your steam account all things are equal?

Argh, I read a tweet about this being half off, but checked the US store and it's not happening. Nice deal, for sure.

Also, gotta love the "Strap it on" banner on the front page. I bet the guy in charge of that listens to the Bombcast.

angelfly

Just finished the game. So much fun from start to finish. As for the end
I decided to save Shaundi and wow when Bonnie Tylor came on it just set the mood combined with all the chaos in the streets.
. It may be a bit unpolished in some parts but Volition went above and beyond and let the creativity run wild.

Just finished the game. So much fun from start to finish. As for the end
I decided to save Shaundi and wow when Bonnie Tylor came on it just set the mood combined with all the chaos in the streets.
. It may be a bit unpolished in some parts but Volition went above and beyond and let the creativity run wild.
You made the right choice. You can still go back and do the other ending, just FYI.

Torraz

Apparently my money is not wanted (when trying to order that special deal that was posted):

UhK7J.jpg

No that was only in the last one.

Boooo. Another thing left out, bah. So many good things that were left out of SR3, that were in SR2. I love The Third, I just can't help but remember all the things that were in SR2, that are no longer in The Third.

Also, how the hell do I get a hotdog suit? I see NPC's wearing them, I don't see them at Let's Pretend...

Boooo. Another thing taken out, bah. So many good things that were taken out of SR3, that were in SR2. I love The Third, I just can't help but remember all the things that were in SR2, that are no longer here.

Also, how the hell do I get a hotdog suit? I see NPC's wearing them, I don't see them at Let's Pretend...
I'm afraid I've got some more bad news for you... You can't.

I'm afraid I've got some more bad news for you... You can't.

Jesus Christ Volition. Don't put clothes in the game that I can see, but can't wear! Terrible. Hopefully my hot dog suit gets modded into the PC version for me to wear soon enough.

Thanks for the info though Neuro, even if it is kinda disappointing news.

Played for 15 hours so far, and this game just keeps on giving. Already decided to install and finish Just Cause 2 after this one, really want to play open-world GTA games now.

Jesus Christ Volition. Don't put clothes in the game that I can see, but can't wear! Terrible. Hopefully my hot dog suit gets modded into the PC version for me to wear soon enough.

Thanks for the info though Neuro, even if it is kinda disappointing news.
It is really disappointing to see NPC's walking around with stuff you can't have. I really like the bulletproof vest one of your saints can wear in gang customization, but it's nowhere to be found.

A free title update that let you get all that stuff would be awesome, if you're listening Volition.

Even with the notable performance issues (PS3) I did a few missions today and the game is finally getting very interesting (I'm 20 hours in). Dat http://deckers.die mission :D

I have to say though that the most brilliant part of the game is Rebecca Sanabria, aka Female Voice 3. She's AWESOME, and I love Laura Bailey but Rebecca is just superior on this game. Mad props to her. All the voice acting is great, as expected with such a quality cast, and it makes the pretty good writing really come to life.

Questions:

1. Can I play NG+ after I finish the main plot?

2. How does Co-Op campaign and activities work? Can I use my SP Saint for that?

3. If I 100% the whole city will gang members still appear?

Questions:

1. Can I play NG+ after I finish the main plot?

2. How does Co-Op campaign and activities work? Can I use my SP Saint for that?

3. If I 100% the whole city will gang members still appear?

1. Negative.

2. Yes you can. Activities you do together will remain done when you go back to your SP games; not sure about story missions.

3. Not consistently, no. In fact it may become very difficult to find any.

EYEL1NER

3. Not consistently, no. In fact it may become very difficult to find any.
What I am wondering is when I see people complaining about there not being gang members around for challenges: Is this only end-game or does clearing all challenges and buying everything affect this? Like, if I take over the city before doing the final missions, will there be no gang members?

I ask because I want to do everything before beating the game.

DJMicLuv

20+ hours in and really enjoying SR3. Just met the mayor - brilliant stuff!

A couple of things I'm having problems with, any advice on passing the 'Mayhem' and 'Insurance Fraud' missions? I just can't seem to chain combos long enough in 'Mayhem' or 'Fraud', is there is secret to passing these or any pointers?

Dear Volition,

Please add New Game+

Yours Truly,
Mayor of Steelport

20+ hours in and really enjoying SR3. Just met the mayor - brilliant stuff!

A couple of things I'm having problems with, any advice on passing the 'Mayhem' and 'Insurance Fraud' missions? I just can't seem to chain combos long enough in 'Mayhem' or 'Fraud', is there is secret to passing these or any pointers?

In Mayhem, don't stop moving-keep on shooting! You can shoot mailboxes, fences, etc. and rack up a ton of points with combo. In one activity I managed to get $3 million, but stopped because my co-op buddy was bored. lol

In Fraud, go to the bonus points sections and look out for huge trucks/vehicles they launch you pretty far and give you the most points i think.

Top Bottom