• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Digishine

Banned
made my own monster. How u like it GAF ?

2011-12-15_00002.jpg

Soi-Fong

I must admit, unlike Bethesda who is effin horrible at PS3 architecture judging from the issues with Skyrim, I must admit that Volition has done a very good job with Saints Row. Having 5 star with both Morning Stars and the police and me being in a tank blowing everything up vehicles one after another filling the screen and no FPS drops really surprised me.

That kinda thing in GTAIV would slow down to like 10-20 FPS.

SmithnCo

I only noticed one spot where the FPS really slowed, during
a STAG mission where I had a million STAG guys and tanks around shooting everything.
I think it was one of the final missions, other than that it's been sooth.

I only noticed one spot where the FPS really slowed, during
a STAG mission where I had a million STAG guys and tanks around shooting everything.
I think it was one of the final missions, other than that it's been sooth.

Seconding this. Only real pain I've endured in the PS3 version.

Some of the sharpest writing in a videogame I've ever come across, even if the overall story or whatever is totally pants.

It was a continuous source of amazement for me too. The story is just there as an excuse to drop these hilarious and witty characters into situations where they can shine.

I must admit, unlike Bethesda who is effin horrible at PS3 architecture judging from the issues with Skyrim, I must admit that Volition has done a very good job with Saints Row. Having 5 star with both Morning Stars and the police and me being in a tank blowing everything up vehicles one after another filling the screen and no FPS drops really surprised me.

That kinda thing in GTAIV would slow down to like 10-20 FPS.

As a PC guy I'm happy with my version too, though it does chug a little when you're driving fast on ultra settings. Volition should be given huge props for releasing the game in such a great state for all platforms. Such an incredible game from every angle.

Branson

Oh neat. One of my characters I uploaded is featured on the saints row site. I just uploaded it so I could download it again.

id: SICmaggot543

NinjaBoiX

Just bought this today, what an absolute scream of a game! Having a blast. It's a little rough, but I was fully expecting that. It's just a game falling over itself to entertain you. Love it.

SmithnCo

I upgraded full on the dual wield Saints SMG's for incendiary, but don't know what else to spend funds on.

I have dual wield pistols, up to level 2.

Ah, the incendiary SMGs are great too.

I guess you could buy property to raise your hourly income since you will have to eventually. Or health and damage upgrades.

Beat this on PC and just ordered a few more copies for co-op on the 360 that should arrive next week. Question time!

* Can you start the game from the beginning in co-op? Or do you each have to get through a few missions first? Thinking about some of the missions in game I don't know how they'd work in co-op at all.

* Is it drop-in, drop-out?

* Can your co-op partner bring over their own character as in from their world? If so do they get to keep monies and rep gained and bring it back into their game?

* How does saving work? Can you save a co-op game and go back to it solo?

* Can you kill each other?

* Does playing with a co-op partner count against your homie limit? So, say I can bring three homies along, does my co-op partner count as one of them?

* Can you each free roam? Or do you have to stay within a certain distance from each other?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do you fire the grenade launcher with the k-8?

Grenade button... but it's a little wonky. It will always reload the rifle first, if the mag isn't full, and then you have to hold the button down for a sec to launch the 40 mm grenade.

Beat this on PC and just ordered a few more copies for co-op on the 360 that should arrive next week. Question time!

* Can you start the game from the beginning in co-op? Or do you each have to get through a few missions first? Thinking about some of the missions in game I don't know how they'd work in co-op at all.

* Is it drop-in, drop-out?

* Can your co-op partner bring over their own character as in from their world? If so do they get to keep monies and rep gained and bring it back into their game?

* How does saving work? Can you save a co-op game and go back to it solo?

* Can you kill each other?

* Does playing with a co-op partner count against your homie limit? So, say I can bring three homies along, does my co-op partner count as one of them?

* Can you each free roam? Or do you have to stay within a certain distance from each other?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can play together from the beginning but I haven't tried it.

Yes it's drop in drop out.

Yes co op partner keeps all the money they get. The also get credit for activities they do in your game. Not sure about main story missions.

Yes you can save your co op game and play SP later with that character.

Yes friendly fire is an option.

Pretty sure in co op you can only have one homie each.

You can free roam as far as you want, at least I've never run into a limit.

Varshes

Anyone know what's going on with that free copy of Saints Row 2 PS3 owners were supposed to get when they registered their online pass? I don't see anything listed under Downloadable Content, but maybe it's not available yet?

SmithnCo

Anyone know what's going on with that free copy of Saints Row 2 PS3 owners were supposed to get when they registered their online pass? I don't see anything listed under Downloadable Content, but maybe it's not available yet?

I got the free copy when I put in my online pass automatically. Do a search for saints row and you can probably find it.

fisheyes

So I got just finished the Stag Party mission
and chose to give Josh to the STAG, thinking it meant they would show up when I was doing gang strongholds or something, not that it would basically be a big 'skip this part' cheat code. Thats lame. I ended up choosing the area with the least stuff in it just so I missed out on as little content as possible.
I feel like they should have made that more clear.

Loving this game though.

So I got just finished the Stag Party mission
and chose to give Josh to the STAG, thinking it meant they would show up when I was doing gang strongholds or something, not that it would basically be a big 'skip this part' cheat code. Thats lame. I ended up choosing the area with the least stuff in it just so I missed out on as little content as possible.
I feel like they should have made that more clear.

Loving this game though.

I based my decision for that as a moral type of thing. Giving Josh to the STAG who seemed like bad guys and aligning yourself with them felt wrong after what they're trying to do to the Saints and other gangs, so I kept Josh, although Josh was working against you as well but he seemed like the lesser of two evils so I picked him.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can play together from the beginning but I haven't tried it.

Yes it's drop in drop out.

Yes co op partner keeps all the money they get. The also get credit for activities they do in your game. Not sure about main story missions.

Yes you can save your co op game and play SP later with that character.

Yes friendly fire is an option.

Pretty sure in co op you can only have one homie each.

You can free roam as far as you want, at least I've never run into a limit.
Thanks Neuro. Looks like I'm set.

foxdvd

I sort of wish they got DLC out for this when the game was still fresh on my mind...as it is now I am afraid many will have moved on...one of the few games I would not have had a problem putting money down for DLC...

Just beat this today on PC. FANTASTIC. Volition truly knocked it out of the park with this one.

Now I just gotta wait for the modders to bring extra awesome goodies to the game!

This is a really polarizing game. This might be my GOTY, but there seem to be a lot of people who think this is the worst game they've played all year. I'm not noticing a lot of people in between, it seems like one of those love it or hate it situations.

ultron87

I had a night of shitty lows and amazing highs with this game yesterday.

It started off with a Professor Genki challenge having a gigantic red X over my screen that would not go away no matter how many times I restarted the challenge that made it impossible to play.

Then I did a mission where I had to interrogate a guy. But everytime I hit "Y" to interrogate my character just pulled out her rifle and stood there. Then the prompt to interrogate never came up again. This happened on mission restart and was only fixed by quitting to the main menu and restarting.

Then I did the
Murderbrawl
mission and it was the best thing ever.
"OH MY GOD A CHAINSAW!"
So good.

Just beat this tonight, easily one of the best games of the year for me at least. So completely ridiculous and hilarious, especially with the final mission.

Why the fuck is there a 24 hour limit on downloading/uploading saves to the PS Cloud? What bullshit. You can't even copy saves to a flash drive either.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Why did I stop getting achievements a couple of hours into my 15 h run?

Just beat this tonight, easily one of the best games of the year for me at least. So completely ridiculous and hilarious, especially with the final mission.

There are literally no words for the final mission. I was seriously stunned by it and then pleasantly surprised with the ending. Can't wait for Saint's Row The Fourth.

Babalu.

does anyone else love that french rap song that plays on the radio. Don't understand a word but I always stay in my car when it comes on.

Grisby

Anyone got any taunting tips? I think mine's broken or something. I have 39/50 on my counter but no matter how high I max out the taunt it hasn't budged. I;m taunting like 14 dudes in a row and nothing going.

I want to get rid of the gangs but I wanted to get this done first.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Beat the main game today, all the activities, and I have bought all the shops and anything you can own and upgraded all my strongholds.

But now gang operations aren't showing up on my map. I've clearly not done all of them, but when I select to show gang operations only I don't see any of the pink icons on the screen unless I'm just missing them... what's up?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Beat the main game today, all the activities, and I have bought all the shops and anything you can own and upgraded all my strongholds.

But now gang operations aren't showing up on my map. I've clearly not done all of them, but when I select to show gang operations only I don't see any of the pink icons on the screen unless I'm just missing them... what's up?

Don't you have to drive by them in order for them to appear on your map? AFAIK, you need to discover them.

Yeah and sometimes there in somewhat tricky locations, like theres one on a building that I don't think shows up on the map if you just drive by it.

Aske

Don't you have to drive by them in order for them to appear on your map? AFAIK, you need to discover them.

Once you've done everything else, the map stays grey in the areas with undiscovered gang operations. So the game gives you the general area in which to look.

GJS

Anyone know where the gang operation for this part of Loren square is?
sr3go.jpg

I've been trying to find it there and in the surrounding area for days without any luck.

Edit/

Never mind, the moment after I posted this I found it.

Anyone know where the gang operation for this part of Loren square is?
sr3go.jpg

I've been trying to find it there and in the surrounding area for days without any luck.

Edit/

Never mind, the moment after I posted this I found it.

Check directly due south of that big circular building just north of where you circled (I think it's a stadium or something?)

Should find some dudes in the parking lot/alley kind of away from the street which is probably why your radar didn't pick it up.

Edit: isnt that always the way though, haha.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pushing deep through SR2(beat SR1 right before) and I am surprised some people are so loud about proclaiming it the better game than 3.

SR2 is basically a polished up SR1. City is a bit more expansive and more detailed, but the same. Much of the bullshit regarding activities in SR1 is cleaned up, but not enough to make any of the old or new stuff that much more engaging(still find them -all- tedious, even if the rewards are great and less frustrating to earn).

The plot missions in SR2 vary from cool to forgetful(like SR1, or classic GTA). I still haven't finished them all granted, been focused mostly on wrapping up all of the activities first, which I am nearly done with. The scant couple I have done in SR3 are vastly superior and memorable to ANYTHING I have seen in SR2 by comparison.

I can sort of understand the lack of racing challenges in SR3 to be a negative, but they aren't really all that great anyway. SR2 is no Midnight Club, but they are probably the only activity I actively enjoy compared to anything else.

I have been holding off on SR3 progress until I wrap SR2, so I am unsure exactly how the whole of SR3 holds up comparatively. But with 15 hours of SR2 under my belt already, the 2 hours I have played of SR3 has been far superior.

Osietra

Banned
Breaking news: I am downloading this on Steam, can someone please explain to me why Giantbomb are so massively obsessed about this, when Edge gives it a 6. Is it about playing it stoned, as I'd wager that Edge doesn't actually smoke that much dope whereas GB obviously does.

Ploid 3.0

Breaking news: I am downloading this on Steam, can someone please explain to me why Giantbomb are so massively obsessed about this, when Edge gives it a 6. Is it about playing it stoned, as I'd wager that Edge doesn't actually smoke that much dope whereas GB obviously does.

It don't mix well with the high class gated communities of journalism. It's vulgar, and uncivilized. It's absurd to think such a game is put on the shelves next to such classics as L.A. Noir, or Chess Master 2055 (can't think of a civilized game, what is the world coming to).

daviyoung

Banned

Different people like different things?

Top Bottom