• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

cackhyena

I'm kind of stunned he doesn't enjoy the shooting. It feels the best out of any open world game I can think of atm. Everything about it is so smooth. The on foot stuff, the driving. Never played a Saints Row game before this, but I'm loving it.

What's absolutely nuts to me, is that I came for the bat shit insane stuff, and I'm noticing just as much the polish, smart design choices and of all fucking things...sharp writing. What? Also, Return of the Mack plays on one of the stations. Boss.

Jintor

I'm kind of stunned he doesn't enjoy the shooting. It feels the best out of any open world game I can think of atm. Everything about it is so smooth. The on foot stuff, the driving. Never played a Saints Row game before this, but I'm loving it.

What's absolutely nuts to me, is that I came for the bat shit insane stuff, and I'm noticing just as much the polish, smart design choices and of all fucking things...sharp writing. What? Also, Return of the Mack plays on one of the stations. Boss.

The sharp writing always stuck out to me as the most implausible, but it takes a really great team to go as absurdly stylish as Saint's Row and not fuck it up.

Shooting is balls though. I just don't think I like the concept of third-person shooters at all. :|

The sharp writing always stuck out to me as the most implausible, but it takes a really great team to go as absurdly stylish as Saint's Row and not fuck it up.

Shooting is balls though. I just don't think I like the concept of third-person shooters at all. :|

Mouse and keys or a controller? Personally I hate FPS with a controller, hate TPS with mouse and keys.

I actually think this was one of the most solid shooters I played the whole year. I find it strange to see people not enjoying it, but hey. To each their own.

Ploid 3.0

I don't like to use mouse and keyboard but when I tried it out it felt good. Head shots everywhere. They did good on analogs (ps3 controller) and M/KB to me.

I don't have any solid, objective reasons for not liking the game; it's mostly just that I know open-world games, in general, aren't for me. And I really find the whole aesthetic to be pretty repulsive.

cackhyena

Knowing those things and seeing even 10 seconds of any of the promo footage should have been enough to keep you away from this, bro.

Knowing those things and seeing even 10 seconds of any of the promo footage should have been enough to keep you away from this, bro.

Word-of-mouth overcame the misgivings I had about the genre. And it isn't a big deal, I got it on sale and I have a friend who will take it off my hands.

cackhyena

Word. I think I just needed something this crazy. The best thing ( for me) is how surprisingly well put together the whole product is.

Dragon

Banned
I'm impressed with the engine on PS3. Later on in the game when you have infinite explosive ammo the game has very rare framerate problems while destroying everything. It does sometimes get into sub 15 fps during random driving sections. Not sure why but overall the engine is pretty incredible. I don't know how much better it is on the 360 but Ignition did some great work here.

I'm impressed with the engine on PS3. Later on in the game when you have infinite explosive ammo the game has very rare framerate problems while destroying everything. It does sometimes get into sub 15 fps during random driving sections. Not sure why but overall the engine is pretty incredible. I don't know how much better it is on the 360 but Ignition did some great work here.
Probably not better at all, we have some screen tearing or V-sync which gives a worse frame rate.

Weenerz

Banned
What type of DLC came out today for this? Was it more skins and guns or missions? I'll buy it either way, since I want to suppport this amazing game, I'm just stuck at work and want to find out.

What type of DLC came out today for this? Was it more skins and guns or missions? I'll buy it either way, since I want to suppport this amazing game, I'm just stuck at work and want to find out.

4 outfits, none of which are very impressive.

Did you buy the shark gun DLC? That things pretty awesome, it's the only extra I've bought so far.

lupinko

I think it was Digital Foundry that said the PS3 one was the console winner in that comparison, but the 360 one is still playable and fine even with the minor problems.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just killed Genki for the first time! I was wailing on hiim with shocking bullets until i realize I had a rocket launcher. So glad I was able to kill him before I get super rich since the 120k he dropped was incredibly useful.

Daigoro

Why are all my uploaded characters gone?

Edit: Just checked the website, seems to be an error but they are not lost, just not available.

is this shit still down?

i was playing yesterday and the same shit happened again. ive had this game for a week and have only been able to access this feature for the first two days, its been down every other time i have tried.

Grisby

Getting ready to finish this up. SP DLC would be super sweet.

Does anyone have ringtones for the mission complete screens? I like those little tunes.

Zee-Row

Banned
How do I look at larger versions of the screenshots I took on saintsrow.com? I click the thumbnails and all I can do is name them and share them.

What's pretty awesome though is that after killing Genki once, I randomly saw him on the street in a purple suit and was able to recruit him. I had him riding around on the back of my motorcycle shooting at people.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Just finished the campaign, awesome game! Weird at times but woo the combat is good, the game is all about fun -- not really into all that pimping esque stuff and even the music but for this game I can handle it.

Bring on in the DLC and the weird ass weapons, gonna pick up the shark gun DLC for sure! Definitely one of my favourite games of the year :)

Grisby

I beat it. Man, what a weird ending. I guess all of the missions at the end just kind of mixed together eh? I was starting mission 45 out of 47 and an hour later I'm ata the credits.

Fun times though. I heard there are two endings or something? Can someone tell me what your supposed to do to get the bad one?

SmithnCo

I beat it. Man, what a weird ending. I guess all of the missions at the end just kind of mixed together eh? I was starting mission 45 out of 47 and an hour later I'm ata the credits.

Fun times though. I heard there are two endings or something? Can someone tell me what your supposed to do to get the bad one?

You know when you have a choice to
save Shaundi or kill Killbane?
Pick whichever one you didn't do before. You should be able to redo the mission to do it.

Zee-Row

Banned
I had this funny glitch happen today. The girl crashed head on into the garage door and her body got stuck with hilarious results!

396833_10150489039081591_805696590_8607280_1094227929_n.jpg

If anyone had pre-ordered Saints Row from the THQ Store and still has not yet received your Professor Genki code and free Season Pass, email THQ Support now. They seem to only be giving the codes out to those who specifically request them.

Just done the first 90 mins and I'm really impressed. Opening bank heist was great, loved the parachuting section, and now I've taken back my crib with sweet Kanye tunes.

I thought a lot of the love for it would be overblown and ironic, but it really is funny and well written. I think I made the right choice by going with a female character because the story so far seems suited to one.

Gunplay is a lot better than the videos made it look, too.

I hate the flying controls, however. They're really weird.

Just done the first 90 mins and I'm really impressed. Opening bank heist was great, loved the parachuting section, and now I've taken back my crib with sweet Kanye tunes.

I thought a lot of the love for it would be overblown and ironic, but it really is funny and well written. I think I made the right choice by going with a female character because the story so far seems suited to one.

Gunplay is a lot better than the videos made it look, too.

I hate the flying controls, however. They're really weird.
What system are you playing on? There's an advanced controls option that makes flying better in my opinion, gives you rudder controls so you can turn left and right on the same plane.

SmokyDave

I have all those files yes. Have to sort them out though.

If you can provide the mission complete screen that goes: wobwobwobwob wobwobwobwob wobwobwobwoo, I'd really appreciate it. Love that tune.

I'll need an iPhone compatible subwoofer as well but I can sort that out.

cackhyena

Am I missing where the controls for seeing behind you ( quick look ) or different camera views for your vehicle are in the game? When someone is on my as in a car, I want to be able to snap to rear view like GTA sometimes but can't find where it would be on the controller.

It doesn't exist, does it. :(

Top Bottom