• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Feature

Banned
So do I unlock new missions by getting respect or something? I started my game , finished the first mission and now I don't know where to go...

ArjanN

So do I unlock new missions by getting respect or something? I started my game , finished the first mission and now I don't know where to go...

No, you can always select the next story mission on your phone and it gives you a waypoint. The sidestuff isn't mandatory this time. (although they make you do each type of side-mission once as part of the story.)

Everything is accessed from your phone.

Started over as a female character and did an assassination and unlocked the Deckers outfit. Those mofos are hella stylish, look at this shit

I noticed that Fem Voice 1 was Kaine pretty quick.

I picked dat

Daigoro

k thanks guys. dont know why i havent touched any of those assasination missions yet.

i got stuck on the one where you have to grab one of the ho's before the guy will show up and just havent gone back for more yet.

ill get on those asap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Saw Genki on the streets earlier blowing people up with an RPG. A cop tried to attack him so he kicked him in the nuts and blew him up. After a long fight, I killed him and got a nice $300K off of it...now I roll with an entire squad of mascots in memorial...and I spent all of the money maxing out guns to light people on fire.

In most games that might seem odd, but this was just another normal session.

DemonNite

I completed the game and 100% collectibles a few days ago but I left all the challenges alone.

Warning for you guys if you don't know already, you cannot do some of the challenges if you wiped out some gangs already :( so if you want to do them in one game, aim to clear them out as much as possible.

I'm gonna start a new game with a guy this time to get that remaining trophy!

DDIml.jpg

ep2qR.jpg

Skeletor is gonna wreck shit up

derFeef

I also have classy woman look for my character. I switched gender for the achievement though and I kinda miss her already. Not doing story missions too beucase I do not want to miss the awesome voice.

Ah screw achievements...

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know if this thread is fanboy freaky about GTA comparisons like those fuck awful GT/FZ threads, but having played this GTA style game with a strong female lead, it really makes me want to see a GTA with female lead. The fact I hadn't played a crime game as a woman was why I picked to be a woman this time, but I've found it really cool. Although there was one mission involving nudity I probably could have done without.

I don't know if this thread is fanboy freaky about GTA comparisons like those fuck awful GT/FZ threads, but having played this GTA style game with a strong female lead, it really makes me want to see a GTA with female lead. The fact I hadn't played a crime game as a woman was why I picked to be a woman this time, but I've found it really cool. Although there was one mission involving nudity I probably could have done without.

That mission is going to fucked up regardless of sex. I was pretty surprised when it happend.

I have a badass latino gangster girl turned super hero. I always change into my super suit at night then back into my normal clothes during the day.

The only other racing game with the feel of speed similar to this is the old school midnight clubs. Those were some of the best racing engines ever made.

I think GTA should have character creator too, I feel that's what sandbox games are about: You as a player making the fun, it should be up to the player to choose how the main character should look like. I think it suits the genre well.

StuBurns

Banned
I think GTA should have character creator too, I feel that's what sandbox games are about: You as a player making the fun, it should be up to the player to choose how the main character should look like. I think it suits the genre well.

I certainly don't agree with that. As much as I like SR3, I don't think it's approaching GTA4 quality. Having a specific character plays a large role in how you can present a story. I just meant I wish Rockstar would have a female lead, as in a fixed one. I was hoping they'd do it with the second GTA4 expansion actually, maybe with Elizabeta.

Dead Man

I certainly don't agree with that. As much as I like SR3, I don't think it's approaching GTA4 quality. Having a specific character plays a large role in how you can present a story. I just meant I wish Rockstar would have a female lead, as in a fixed one. I was hoping they'd do it with the second GTA4 expansion actually, maybe with Elizabeta.

In what way? If you tone down the outfits, leave in the choice of gender and 3 voices for each, what can't you do that you can do with a fixed character?

Edit: Other than some types of character histories being a bit silly for a gender.

StuBurns

Banned
In what way? If you tone down the outfits, leave in the choice of gender and 3 voices for each, what can't you do that you can do with a fixed character?

Edit: Other than some types of character histories being a bit silly for a gender.

There are lots of things, some Armies don't, or at least didn't allow women at a certain time for example. If you wanted to tell a story about a woman who couldn't have children, it would be hugely different if it were a male. Men and woman are not the same, and if you want to produce something true to a character, something as fundamental as their gender needs to be set.

It works in SR3 because the Boss doesn't really have a character. It has an attitude, that's about it.

Dead Man

There are lots of things, some Armies don't, or at least didn't allow women at a certain time for example. If you wanted to tell a story about a woman who couldn't have children, it would be hugely different if it were a male. Men and woman are not the same, and if you want to produce something true to a character, something as fundamental as their gender needs to be set.

That is about what story you tell though, not how it is told.

Been playing this from GameFly ... I take it there is no way to access the Genki vehicles like the Manapult or weapon like the Squid Gun?

Is it available to purchase anywhere? Or is it only a pre-order bonus?

Dead Man

And I want stories not restricted by having to work for both genders, or skeleton men.

LOL, I already suggested getting rid of the whacky character outfits etc. I don't think video game story telling is in any way deep enough to be dramatically effected by being able to change you characters appearance in most games. There are already enough allowances that have tro be made for play style that any semblance of character driven narrative is relegated to a back seat in open world games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone up for playing this co op with me? All my friends just aren't playing it right now? We can talk about it if you add me on Steam, ID is in profile.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think video game story telling is in any way deep enough to be dramatically effected by being able to change you characters appearance in most games.
In most games, I'd agree, in GTA, I do not.

I don't think Bioware's games from Baldur's Gate onwards would have had better stories if they restricted character creation.
It's hard to say, because I don't think any of those have interesting lead characters. Well I say any, I haven't played much of DA2. But something like The Witcher 2, which is kind of similar, but massively better written does have a fixed lead.

EDIT: Although it'd be pretty interesting if they let you play Triss is TW3.

It's only a pre-order bonus.

That sucks. Thanks for the info and saving me some time and money. I was almost going to get the 360 version as my "go to" sandbox game. Looks like JC2 will still hold that crown.

I don't think Bioware's games from Baldur's Gate onwards would have had better stories if they had restricted character creation.

I always feel the BioWare stories are happening around the person, like it wouldn't matter who the main character is as they are a generic "hero" or something, like many sci-fi stories it's the world that intrigues. But with GTA games it's more focused on the personal story and the world almost seems secondary. Hard to explain ... sorry.

\/\/\/\/\/ Kind of what he said, character vs event.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I also think a character driven story, as opposed to an event driven story, isn't really all that effective when your character has so much freedom of action, like in Saints Row.

I haven't played GTA4, but I do know some complaints were the contrast between the character's story struggle and the sociopathic stuff you did on your spare time. I wouldn't want to feel ethically restricted in a videogame with ridiculous events just because of the main character's background.

StuBurns

Banned
I also think a character driven story, as opposed to an event driven story, isn't really all that effective when your character has so much freedom of action, like in Saints Row.

I haven't played GTA4, but I do know some complaints were the contrast between the character's story struggle and the sociopathic stuff you did on your spare time.
That argument comes up a lot, and I think it's fair, if you wish to, you can break the fiction of GTA4 very easily. And you can do that with almost any game. You can run around the battlefield in MGS4, running up to guards, lying on the floor and rolling around. It is counter to the character shown in cutscenes, and you're able to do it. It really just depends how you wish to play a game. I personally didn't go around randomly killing people in GTA4, not that it would be really against Niko's character. The one person people refer to in GTA4 has meaning to Niko, unlike anyone else you kill really.

Facism

just finished the game. Quality product. Quality story missions. Didn't get bored of it once. Gonna do the other ending soon.

lol @ I Need a Hero.

the chris

That sucks. Thanks for the info and saving me some time and money. I was almost going to get the 360 version as my "go to" sandbox game. Looks like JC2 will still hold that crown.
The Professor Genki stuff is cool but you shouldn't let the lack of it deter you from getting the game. There is still plenty of awesome stuff to see and do in the game, and if you like crazy weapons you can always buy the shark gun.

Hey You

I wish you can choose to go back and replay missions by selecting them in your phone, like in TBoGT. So you don't have to play through the game again for the certain mission achievements. I'm glad I can do the last mission again from my phone.

CatPee

Definitely where Volt succeed, even if it was at the cost of scale. Saints Row 2 feels like its lost between generations. Its some jank, frustrating controls/difficulty spikes, and really fucking ugly. III on the other hand is exceptionally polished. Character and vehicles controls are better. You can actually make out everything clearly instead of it being a blur till 15 feet away and it lacks the exceedingly frustrating moments encounters in previous entries.

I thought SR2 was more balanced overall, had a better selection of main missions that weren't just activities, and much more content such as facial expressions, walk style, clothing options, fucking Freckle Bitch's, etc. SR3 is a more over-the-top game, but it feels like it's missing a lot of things that its predecessor made standard (no replaying missions? BOOOOOOO).

MNC

Man, loving this game, but I cannot help but think it would be just a bit more awesome with a tad more polish, mainly in the animation department. Vehicles that are upside down just dropping NPCs/players outside of the car instead of people crawling out or whatever.

the chris

I got them with my THQ order last week.
The car and the squid gun are fucking worthless, you're not missing anything.
I'd heard it was only for the first so many copies of the game with pre-order, I thought the Professor Genki events in the game were tied to the content but I was relieved when I saw otherwise.

Top Bottom