• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

obonicus

People here seem to not have much of a problem with that when it comes to IGN and the like, right? I don't think SR3 is anywhere near GOTY material. Customization, cut scenes, missions, activities, NPCs, vehicles, stores, exploration; almost every aspect is watered down or gutted from the previous titles, save for more satisfying combat. It's no surprise there's so much backlash on the official forum. I really love this series; SR3 deserved better than this. Maybe Volition was rushed and under funded, or they pulled a Rockstar North and streamlined everything to make it more accessible/ capture a larger audience. The new engine is in place and they have Steelport to build off from. If SR4 isn't as big a leap from three, as part two was from the original, and all the series' staples are still missing, we'll know they've gone in a new direction.

According to the Tom Chick interview, the main component that was loss due to a design decision was the story. They felt that the tone of the Boss in SR2 wasn't right, particularly in the brotherhood missions. Losing food was also a conscious decision, to allow the improved grenades. All the rest was a 'we wish we could have done it, but couldn't justify spending the money for something very few people would see'. And I wouldn't go by what people on the official forums say -- they're kind of crazy.

I've got some news for people. If you're going to say the ending of this game is just like game "x", you're kinda spoiling things for people.

Thanks for being clueless to that fact.

StuBurns

Banned
I've got some news for people. If you're going to say the ending of this game is just like game "x", you're kinda spoiling things for people.

Thanks for being clueless to that fact.

It's really not. Without knowing how SR3 ends, you'd have no idea what that meant. It could be practically anything. Someone online thinks some aspect of SR3 is like some aspect of UC2. Hardly fingers in the ears material.

Reknoc

So I've finally finished off the final final mission. Overall I think this game is amazing, there are definitely things it does a lot better than SR2 but sometimes at cost of something else. Not having to grind out respect to do missions is fantastic, but it also means you don't have to do any of the activities, which I guess the devs realised and which means that a lot of story missions are just the activities.

I also felt the game started to drag a little towards the end, probably because all the coolest stuff like the Deckers and Murderbrawl have already been shown off in trailers. The last 3 missions while hectic never really felt all that "badass" (and one of them had an awful boss fight).

Speaking of Murderbrawl
I hate how it locks the best item behind a choice that kinda makes the mission redundant and I'm not a massive fan of any of the choices in the game

I also found the game to be completely buggy, in fact; I have encountered more freezes and glitch outs that have forced me to restart my system or if I'm lucky just the mission in my 20 hours of game play than I had it over 40 hours of Skyrim.

Buuut, I do like that respect is now EXP for levels and you can unlock perks, I think the guns and cars feel a lot better to use compared to SR2, and I think the game looks a lot better. And really it's still a total blast to play.

Oh the music selection sucked but it made some real good use of some of the songs.

Hey You

Is this DLC locked in on the disc already or is extra dev time actually been spent on DLC?

I've been saving deckers.die, about to start it up now. Hope it delivers.
Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the level. Thought I would, cause the mission got an award.

STAG
just showed up.

Is there where the game gets good?

was burning out on it before but I think its turning around.

plus taking a week away to play skyrim helped

Daigoro

i hit the 30 hour mark today and finished up all of the assassinations at around 32 hrs.

still not loving the Tron bike missions, but im going to perservere because ill be damned if i let that shit get in the way of 100% this game. also need to grind out the boring Heli Assault missions (should be easy enough if the fucking driver doesnt get stuck on an impassable curb again like last time), and some others.

its nice to be pretty much invincible at this point in the game, though i did get flattened and killed in my car by a tank today for the first time in 30 hrs. i was shocked! ha. first time ive died in quite a while. then i grabbed my tank and did it to a bunch of other people.

still enjoying this game very much.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
HdYonl.jpg

where the hell is this last activity? it's the last one I have to do and I can't find it anywhere

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
VLZDfl.jpg

Ok, thanks so much, I found it. For future reference, it is where I am on the map, on top of a building.

Oh, and FYI, if it is your last operation/side activity, it will cause your VTOL to disappear when you unlock the achievements, sending you to your death. Have fun!

I started and finished this game over the weekend, and man, the sheer amount of and pure variety in things you do in this game over the course of the story missions is second to none. Over the course of 12 hours, I can only think of one time where I thought to myself "I did this already" and it was a twist on something I thought was awesome the first time. Not all of it was amazing, and a few were even a little frustrating, but more than enough of the variety was creative, clever, and worth playing through at least once.

Typically, when games offer their missions in small chunks like this, I find myself burning out quickly, since it feels like the game is constantly offering me opportunities to stop. Once this game got going, though, I just kept going back to the mission menu for more and more, and there are few things I enjoy more than games I can binge on.

clockpunk

The first big DLC pack, GenkiBowl, is out sometime this month, isn't it? Cannot wait to dive back into the game! Here's hoping it adds more weapons like the fantastic Genki Firework preorder gun...

fisheyes

Is there a trick to the Three Way mission? Because its doing my head in. I can get through one stronghold fine, but after that? I always die at the last minute. The fact Pierce's only purpose seems to be to make me come over and revive him doesn't help.

EDIT: Tank is an absolute godsend. Made it so easy.

MNC

I've played about 5 hours. I just did trojan whores after
saving Z, angel and the girl
People are saying the game is so short, so I'm wondering, how far into the game am I?

People are saying the game is so short, so I'm wondering, how far into the game am I?

I'm around 5 hours in as well and did a solid amount of the side missions and the game counter says I'm at 37%. Hopefully this isn't true because if it is, it seems a bit short for a big open world game.

About 20% or so. You still have to take down all the gangs and deal with STAG.

There is much ahead

SmokyDave

I'm around 5 hours in as well and did a solid amount of the side missions and the game counter says I'm at 37%. Hopefully this isn't true because if it is, it seems a bit short for a big open world game.

It really must depend on how you play the game. I'm about 85 hours in and 95% complete but I could have finished the game aaaaages ago. It's what you make it.

SmithnCo

The first big DLC pack, GenkiBowl, is out sometime this month, isn't it? Cannot wait to dive back into the game! Here's hoping it adds more weapons like the fantastic Genki Firework preorder gun...

Yeah, I can't wait for that.

Also, apparently you can get to Genki Bowl island early by warping to shore at a certain point. I don't think you can really do anything besides look at it though.

Apparently the Genki pre-order stuff will never be released outside of pre-order copies. That would be pretty shitty if true. Can somebody confirm this because I'm not entirely sure.

Ohwiseone

just got the game.

I have heard so much from Giantbomb, but so far the Opening is pretty much perfect, and I honestly can't wait to see if it just gets crazier, and Crazier

MNC

So many lame activities! The only fun one is the ragdoll and a few of destruction ones. Fuck guardian angel man seriously

Ferrio

Banned
So I got this on the PC, and my rig is pretty beefy but I can't get 60 fps unless I tone the game down quite a bit. On Ultra at 1080p with vsync I get rougly 30. This fairly normal? Game really doesn't look like it should perform that bad.

Amory

I'm probably 5 or 6 hours in...it's official...this game has way too many side activities. I get that I only have to play them once, but in most cases I really don't want to play them at all, they're pretty much all derivative of stuff we've seen since GTA3.

Seems a little lazy, too, because up to this point almost all the "missions" in the game have really just been intros to side stuff. Which is a shame because the actual scripted missions are fantastic.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It really must depend on how you play the game. I'm about 85 hours in and 95% complete but I could have finished the game aaaaages ago. It's what you make it.

I finished under 20 hours with 100%. They don't count the Vehicle list, assassination list, or grinding thing. But missions, activities, and others are counted towards.

Activities in this one are pie compared to 2's.

daviyoung

Banned
So I got this on the PC, and my rig is pretty beefy but I can't get 60 fps unless I tone the game down quite a bit. On Ultra at 1080p with vsync I get rougly 30. This fairly normal? Game really doesn't look like it should perform that bad.

Try running it in DX9. DX10/11 adds quite a few system intensive effects.

Just two more things to finish up (parachute jumping, wave based attacks) and seeing the alternate ending in a mission early in the game and I have my platinum.

I have to say, I enjoy the world of Saints Row and the feel of the game overall. I wish the campaign fleshed out the characters more but hope they will put out some story DLC.

Trigunner

So many lame activities!

Yeah, why have Guardian Angel when there's already Heli Assault, and then there's tank mayhem which is just lazy. I love Trail Blazing but the cyber bike version is dull. Really poor choices when they could've gone with Fight Club, Fuzz, and Septic Avenger. The way they implemented activities this time around is really grating; it should've been eight rounds in succession instead of this one time, go find another activity marker junk (and I miss having cutscenes set up activities). Ugh, this game makes me so mad seeing as it was the title I've been most looking forward to for years now.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah, why have Guardian Angel when there's already Heli Assault, and then there's tank mayhem which is just lazy. I love Trail Blazing but the cyber bike version is dull. Really poor choices when they could've gone with Fight Club, Fuzz, and Septic Avenger. The way they implemented activities this time around is really grating; it should've been eight rounds in succession instead of this one time, go find another activity marker junk (and I miss having cutscenes set up activities). Ugh, this game makes me so mad seeing as it was the title I've been most looking forward to for years now.

Cyber bike is seriously one of the lamest parts of any game in recent memory.

Top Bottom