• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Note from V on the Genkibowl DLC. You need to download it through the in-game menu if you bought the season pass.

http://www.saintsrow.com/news/detail/article/252379/upcoming_genkibowl_vii_reminder

V-Singular said:
Later this month (!!!) Genkibowl VII, the first of our DLC Mission Packs for Saints Row: The Third, will be released. There is no official release date yet except for later this month, but as some of you have already noticed, we put out a patch across all three systems to prepare everyone for it, which is also why you may be seeing some new achievements/trophies popping up.

The reason I'm writing all of this though, is for those of you that have already purchased the Season Pass. If you've purchased the Season Pass, we want to remind everyone that when Genkibowl (and the other DLC Mission Packs) become available, you'll want to download the pack from the in-game Downloadable Content menu, NOT from the XBL/PSN/Steam Store. If you go to purchase the pack from the store, it will ask you to purchase it again, and you'll end up double-purchasing each individual pack. By downloading it from in-game using our menu, you will have already verified your Season\nPass purchase, and be ready to download and play right away.

Please take note of this and spread the word to any of your friends and cohorts that have purchased the Season Pass as well. As always, remember to stay ethical, and don't kill the panda.

REV 09

Just finished it. It was ok; I would have preferred it to be dialed back some. The 2nd half of the game is just nonsensical. The mechanics were surprisingly good, and I especially liked the wrestling moves.

Striker

Ah, back to GTA IV for no reason.
I'm not sure of your SR/GTA past here, but hey! I mean I personally don't like some of the decisions they've made with some activities either, but it could be a lot worse. Rather see Fight Club, or even Racing, in there instead of Trail Blazing and the awful cyber bike one.

Cyberbiking was too damn easy for it to be annoying. I found all the activities to range between tolerable and enjoyable as missions. Nothing took more than a couple of attempts.

All the activities were way too easy this time. I had only had trouble on one of the helicopter assault activities and then I only had to retry it 2 or 3 times before I got it. And one of the trailblazing activities took me a couple of tries.

Where do I find the chopper from the Pierce heli assault missions? That thing was beast with the homing missiles.

Anyway, yeah, the activities were pretty easy (finished them all a bit earlier). The only ones that took more than a few attempts were the hard insurance fraud activities.

Now I don't really have much left to do other than the chop shop stuff.

Why couldn't this game be longer?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Snatch was the worst for me by far. Damn ho's wouldn't get in the car.

yeah, I was going to mention this. I like all of them but this one...one of the hard ranked ones was insane, had two flamethrower brutes running at me, a bunch of cars clusterfucking around as one of the stupid girls just did a taunt instead of getting in the car so I could hurry back.

The hard snatch missions are fucking insane. I had to switch cars about 4 times during those things. The amount of madness onscreen. Holy shit!

Anything with unlimited explosive ammo = A+

Where do I find the chopper from the Pierce heli assault missions? That thing was beast with the homing missiles.

The restricted military base area, it's the white chopper.

Anyway, yeah, the activities were pretty easy (finished them all a bit earlier). The only ones that took more than a few attempts were the hard insurance fraud activities

I'd agree and I enjoyed most of them. The ATV trailblazing was the only one that took 3 or 4 attemps.

Why couldn't this game be longer?

I didn't find the game to be too short. It just left me asking why other developers can't see that realism isn't always the best way to go, and that with the most ludicrous presentation even simple mechanics can be riveting.

Platinum get! Last one I got was Yakuza 4 and really liked that world too. I want more.

Now I don't know what to play next. Shadow of Colossus, UMVC3, or Skyrim.

Dead Man

Platinum get! Last one I got was Yakuza 4 and really liked that world too. I want more.

Now I don't know what to play next. Shadow of Colossus, UMVC3, or Skyrim.
Yeah, the only plats I have are SR;TT and The Saboteur, both with awesome worlds to run around in, and no stupid MP trophies.

I just got 100% in all the different boroughs and am at level 49. I really enjoyed the story mode missions and think they've really improved the quality of these missions from SR1 (which I found totally boring) to the SR3 (which I replayed in its entirety after beating it the first time). My main issue is that at level 49 with all these nice, different perks (no bullet damage, no fall damage, etc) I have little to test it out on. I've wiped out all the gangs, I can't replay old missions, the activities that are there to replay aren't fun enough for me to want to replay. So, I pretty much just drive around trying to fulfill some of the boring car delivery missions.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem for me in a game like GTAIV (I'm not trying to start a debate, just state a personal opinion here) where the atmosphere alone was rich and evocative enough to allow me to spend hours just driving around. In a game with a city largely devoid of personality as found in Saints Row though, I just don't know what to do after I've completed all the missions. I feel like SR2 had more side missions to take advantage of/more to do after beating it.

Edgeward

The hard snatch missions are fucking insane. I had to switch cars about 4 times during those things. The amount of madness onscreen. Holy shit!

Cars weren't a problem when I brought my own fully upgraded car to the missions instead of using the car provided. It just became a battle of attrition when I would just have to clear a way among the piles of enemy cars to have the hos jump in my car.

Trigunner

In a game with a city largely devoid of personality as found in Saints Row though, I just don't know what to do after I've completed all the missions.

Yep. Steelport is completely bland. Very few indoor environments, little to no varied terrain, no hidden areas, nothing to explore, no interesting NPC's to observe. It's such a step back from Stillwater.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Murderbrawl. Awesome mission, but the announcer lines kept referring to me as he/him even though my character is female.

Gravijah

is the song played during car customization an original song or licensed? because i just heard it in an espn nba commercial.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I keep seeing people saying that on psn you can download SR2 if you buy SR3.
I have Saint's Row 3 the only dl code it has is for the online pass.
I have SR2 on disc it would be nice to have the 360 version though since that one has achievements & SR2 has no trophies.

StuBurns

Banned
Although you didn't ask a question, I'm going to assume you were planning to.

Once you enter the online pass, SR2 on the PSN store becomes free, you just get it like you'd go to buy something.

JLuke2600

So I got this on the PC, and my rig is pretty beefy but I can't get 60 fps unless I tone the game down quite a bit. On Ultra at 1080p with vsync I get rougly 30. This fairly normal? Game really doesn't look like it should perform that bad.

This is problem people are having, yes. It's more prevalent for AMD owners, but myself and other Nvidia owners are having it as well. Volition claims their working with AMD and Nvidia to get out patches but, that's been a while now and with the holidays just past, it's gonna be a little while more I think.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Although you didn't ask a question, I'm going to assume you were planning to.

Once you enter the online pass, SR2 on the PSN store becomes free, you just get it like you'd go to buy something.

MrBurns9.gif

SlickVic

Don't know if it's just me, but anyone trying to play the PC version and just seeing it hang on "Preparing to Launch" in Steam? Worked fine last night for me and in the past (put in a good 40 hours in this game), but not working right now. Don't know if this is Steam's fault, but still a rather annoying issue.

SlickVic

Ah, didn't realize this was happening for all Steam games. Tried a few regions and didn't find one that works yet though. Good thing there's an offline mode I guess.

Tried it again after the last update and yeah, that's definitely the cause. It was working just fine before that.

Lost my categories too :mad:

PSYGN

I wish this game had super explosion and moon gravity cheats. I felt like Michael Bay setting off the satchel bombs at the perfect moment in SR2.

This game has been nominated for Best Narrative in the Game Developer's Choice Awards.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/39507/Portal_2_Skyrim_Bastion_lead_finalists_for_2012_Game_Developers_Choice_Awards.php

Best Narrative
Portal 2 (Valve)
The Witcher 2 (CD Projekt RED)
Bastion (Supergiant Games)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Naughty Dog)
Saints Row: The Third (Volition)

Good luck Volition! Something tells me Portal 2 is going to win, undeservedly, but I can hold out hope.

Marleyman

Banned
This wouldn't be so much of a problem for me in a game like GTAIV (I'm not trying to start a debate, just state a personal opinion here) where the atmosphere alone was rich and evocative enough to allow me to spend hours just driving around. In a game with a city largely devoid of personality as found in Saints Row though, I just don't know what to do after I've completed all the missions. I feel like SR2 had more side missions to take advantage of/more to do after beating it.

I find Steelport to be more of a drag than Stillwater. There just isn't shit to do once you finish the missions.

I find Steelport to be more of a drag than Stillwater. There just isn't shit to do once you finish the missions.
Yeah for once I'm in agreement with you. It's just not a very interesting city whereas Stilwater (especially in SR2) had tons of different and unique areas to explore.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This game has been nominated for Best Narrative in the Game Developer's Choice Awards.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/39507/Portal_2_Skyrim_Bastion_lead_finalists_for_2012_Game_Developers_Choice_Awards.php

Good luck Volition! Something tells me Portal 2 is going to win, undeservedly, but I can hold out hope.

That's awesome! I am humbled to be able to work for Volition on their community, if even part time. They deserve it 100%, and that's some awesome company to keep in that category.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah for once I'm in agreement with you. It's just not a very interesting city whereas Stilwater (especially in SR2) had tons of different and unique areas to explore.

Whoa. I just never feel like driving around and checking out the sites and sounds of the city. Even the NPC's are bland with their lame dance moves and similar skins.

Same here.

I loved the missions and even free roaming around for kicks early on, but now that I've beat the game and have serious firepower at my disposal and cool gang abilities there isn't anything all that interesting to do. Sure I guess I could find some gang ops and one-shot the lot of them with an air strike or VTOL missile volley, but its not very fun or rewarding.

And like I mentioned before, causing mayhem on the street with gangs, cops or both all go the same way. Minor skirmish leads to mini-bosses and helicopters. Escalation until you either die or run away to some storefront or crib to clear your notoriety. As a gameplay loop its kindof dated and lacks win conditions.

The game is still one hell of a romp when doing the main story missions though.

Whoa. I just never feel like driving around and checking out the sites and sounds of the city. Even the NPC's are bland with their lame dance moves and similar skins.
Its even harder to get a feel for a living city when everything disappears the moment you turn around.

obonicus

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a mayhem meter that would scale up, and could be cleared by killing all the attackers. I don't remember if Prototype had the same.

How come my character can't get a lap dance? Also are their strip clubs you can enter?

Makes no sense how everybody can get a lap dance, but me. This old man somehow got in my crib was getting a lap dance, and I can't even get one.

Top Bottom