• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

ArjanN

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a mayhem meter that would scale up, and could be cleared by killing all the attackers. I don't remember if Prototype had the same.

No, I think in Prototype reinforcements would keep coming until you ran away far enough, or broke line of sight and disguised yourself.

Parham

Banned
Is there a way to have more granular control over the sliders in the character customization screen on the console versions?

Better than them disappearing in front of you in the first 2 games :p

They still do this in the third game, at least in the PC version. Looking into the distance I can see cars and people that disappear as I get closer. The spawning behavior in this game is really awkwardly implemented. I didn't play enough of 2 (or any of 1) to tell if it was the just as bad there, but it's pretty broken in 3.

Branson

I just double dipped on the pc. I dont know why, i think its because my friend got it on there, but I dont care, I'm excited to play it with a higher framerate.

They still do this in the third game, at least in the PC version. Looking into the distance I can see cars and people that disappear as I get closer. The spawning behavior in this game is really awkwardly implemented. I didn't play enough of 2 (or any of 1) to tell if it was the just as bad there, but it's pretty broken in 3.

Broken? Haha

Yeah never play SR1 or 2 then. They will shock you.

Finished again from scratch to get the Mr Fury achievement ending. Much better than the other one imo

Didn't really mind that Shaundi died, she was a shitty character all around in this game although I did like Viola.

It was pretty hilarious having a skinny looking girl beat the shit out of Killbane and break his neck. Then the crazy shootout on the Daedulus,; only time I've been able to take advantage of all my full upgraded, infinite ammo weapons

Now to wait on the DLC.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, it's not eprfect in 3, and is very weird, but in 2 if you spin around cars will disappear. They disappear as soon as they are out of your field of view!
Ah, how I used to love standing in an intersection in Vice City, rotating in hopes of spawning a nice car.

Not trying to start any shit here, but I've been trying to like this game...and it's fun-ish...but I feel like it should be more fun than it is. On paper, it sounds like a great idea to go the opposite route of GTA4, to forget realism, and just go nuts with everything. But the problem with GTA4 wasn't that it had a realistic tone; it was just that there wasn't anything to do in the game. So in SR3, you have more shit you can do, but the world is not very compelling at all. I feel that if you had the realistic world and more realistic physics/animation of GTA, combined with the crazy SR3 stuff, it would be much better. But SR3 is like a cartoon. When you do crazy shit in SR3, it has less impact because it's not grounded in reality. It's a zany, cartoony world, so silly stuff fits right in. There's no contrast which reduces its effectiveness and ultimately makes it far less entertaining that it could be. Anyway, that's just my take. Glad many of you are enjoying the shit out if it at least. For me, the ultimate sandbox game is still a pipe dream.

squicken

I really don't understand some of the choices they made. Why were all the cutscenes removed that preceded activities? Why were so many missions just tutorials for the activities?

The villians weren't nearly as good as the first two games. This felt a lot like Just Cause, where it really is just a sandbox with a bolted on story that mostly lacks any sort of meaning. I remember the story and characters from SR2. SR3? Finished it last night, and I'm having trouble recalling any affinity towards any of my fellow gangsters

Like with Shaundi
I only cared if she died b/c of my experience with her in SR2. I don't even remember which missions she was with my for in SR3

I find that over time I'm pretty much agreeing with every complaint made about this game, but everything good about the game has made me play this more than anything else this year.

Somehow it's always the flawed games that I get the most enjoyment out of and end up as my GOTY.

Dunno if it was posted, but saw this while shopping in Japan.

85c9b462.jpg

Nope. In fact there are hardly any enterable buildings compared to SR2 and the ones that are enterable are generally pretty barren.

That sucks. Thought it was just because I didn't travel to the right areas. i guess because strippers are at your cribs you don't need the strip club.

Hate the fact this old man is getting lap dances and I can't. Don't even know how random people end up in there.

Steelport is pretty fucking lame. I was watching my brother playing GTA4 yesterday and the amount of detail and the ecology of Liberty City is a world apart. In my 40ish hours with SR3 I never figured out how to navigate the city without a GPS. I'm at that point in GTAs after about 10 hours.

Too bad it's boring as fuck
comparatively speaking

Dead Man

I find that over time I'm pretty much agreeing with every complaint made about this game, but everything good about the game has made me play this more than anything else this year.

Somehow it's always the flawed games that I get the most enjoyment out of and end up as my GOTY.

Yeah, it is far from perfect. I think it is so satisfying to me because they things they got right are done right in so few other games. Not very many games give that sense of mayhem and control you get from this.

One useful addition would be some leaderboards for the score based activities. Since there is a record feature built in it shouldn't be hard to upload runs if say, you have the high score as evidence.

It's a shame there isn't really any reason to go back to them. On top of that, getting cut off when you meet the score requirement for the activity stops you from getting a good run going.

I'm pulling the trigger on this game in the next couple days. I'm still hoping to see a sale from Amazon again. It's currently at $55.

I'm still wavering about which version to buy. I've asked a handful of people on my friends list about the screen tearing in the 360 version, and it's rather funny how different the answers can be. I've heard everything from "haven't noticed it at all", to "it's pretty bad".

I so wish there was a demo available.

I'm pulling the trigger on this game in the next couple days. I'm still hoping to see a sale from Amazon again. It's currently at $55.

I'm still wavering about which version to buy. I've asked a handful of people on my friends list about the screen tearing in the 360 version, and it's rather funny how different the answers can be. I've heard everything from "haven't noticed it at all", to "it's pretty bad".

Worst case scenario is you can enable V-lock on the 360 although the framerate will take a hit. Personally I thought the tearing was minimal but I'm honestly not all that picky about stuff like that. It's certainly not as bad as say, Dirt 1, or pre-patch Darksiders.

jred2k

Is there any way to complete the 50 taunt challenge after you've completed the game? I kept meaning to go for it while there were some gangs around, but I flew through the story instead. This is like the only challenge I'm not close to finishing.

Hey You

Is there any way to complete the 50 taunt challenge after you've completed the game? I kept meaning to go for it while there were some gangs around, but I flew through the story instead. This is like the only challenge I'm not close to finishing.

Isn't there still gangs around? I've completed the story but not all the Gang Operations and side activities.

The easy way - jump into a friends game (a friend who hasn't finished everything)

Harder way - go into activities like Snatch or Mayhem, get some enemies after you, then quit out of the mission, them run to a safe house, then run outside and taunt them

Just beat run #1 tonight.

That was the perfect ending. Absolutely summed up the whole of the game.

Then the song during the credits? You can tell it was such a fun game to work on.

Despite its various flaws, I found this game to be perhaps one of my favorite video games ever. It feels like everything they added to the game was because they asked the question, "Would this be fun?" and if the answer was yes, they dumped it in. There are a few duds in the side missions (I hated the ATV trailblazing, for example), but aside from that... man, I loved everything about this game.

I want more. I hope the DLC will be good. I don't just want more random side shit, thoguh. I want more story. It was so fun and funny. There wasn't a single story mission I didn't like. So over the top. So absurd. So good...

Unfortunately, I'm expecting random side shit. Especially given the title of the first one. The Genki stuff is pretty amusing, but it's not the Gold that is the story. I'm sure it'll still be fun, but... as fun? Who knows.

I want Saints Row 4 to just be on Mars, because why not, and include the Red Faction: Guerilla destructo-tech. The mayhem of Saints Row: The Third combined with that tech would almost make the perfect game for me.

Add in a touch of Crackdown superpowers (namely jumping, climbing, running speed - anything that gives you more freedom of movement) and I will be in gaming heaven.

Some of the comments in this thread are making me want to get Saints Row 2. But PC port is supposed to be one of the worst, so I doubt I will. And Saints Row 1, is there even a PC version? U:

Dead Man

Whoever came up with Zimos should be showered in gold.

Yeah, any game I play without an autotuned pimp just won't feel complete. Him and Igor are great characters. The returning ones are a bit shit though, Shaundi especially since she was so awesome in 2. Pierce has always been a bitch.

The framerate drops on the 360 aren't too bad with v-sync on, i've found.

Yeah, any game I play without an autotuned pimp just won't feel complete. Him and Igor are great characters. The returning ones are a bit shit though, Shaundi especially since she was so awesome in 2. Pierce has always been a bitch.

Pierce is awesome, you foolish fool.

Darklord

Banned
I want Saints Row 4 to just be on Mars

I want them breaking into a laboratory because they found out Johnny Gat has been cloned. After rescuing the clone they're cornered by police and end up running into the experimentation area where they get caught in a time machine and sent 400 years into the future where they then take on the task of reclaiming a fifth element style steelport from the gangs and corporations that took over after they vanished, including a bizzaro 3rd Street Saints gang that was created after the original fell apart.

Don't lie, you'd buy it.

fisheyes

I want them breaking into a laboratory because they found out Johnny Gat has been cloned. After rescuing the clone they're cornered by police and end up running into the experimentation area where they get caught in a time machine and sent 400 years into the future where they then take on the task of reclaiming a fifth element style steelport from the gangs and corporations that took over after they vanished, including a bizzaro 3rd Street Saints gang that was created after the original fell apart.

Don't lie, you'd buy it.

No no no - go the opposite way. You travel back in time to the old west. The game starts as a Red Dead Redemption style game, you've got wild west weapons, you can ride horses, etc. As the missions progress, the Saints of the current time send more and more traditional Saints Row type items back to you - you get modern weaponry, cars (so to start with you own the only car in the whole game), and eventually all the crazier stuff you get later in SR3. Meanwhile, your character becomes more adept at the 'old west' style, too. He can ride other animals, etc, etc.

Then, as the game runs into its final act, there is an error with the time travel and items from all time periods get sent to the Old West - stuff from the distant future ranging through to stuff from the distant past. The final mission? You, and your old west homies, riding dinosaurs in a battle against futuristic giant mechs.

You can give me every single award ever now.

KiNeSiS

Banned
No no no - go the opposite way. You travel back in time to the old west. The game starts as a Red Dead Redemption style game, you've got wild west weapons, you can ride horses, etc. As the missions progress, the Saints of the current time send more and more traditional Saints Row type items back to you - you get modern weaponry, cars (so to start with you own the only car in the whole game), and eventually all the crazier stuff you get later in SR3. Meanwhile, your character becomes more adept at the 'old west' style, too. He can ride other animals, etc, etc.

Then, as the game runs into its final act, there is an error with the time travel and items from all time periods get sent to the Old West - stuff from the distant future ranging through to stuff from the distant past. The final mission? You, and your old west homies, riding dinosaurs in a battle against futuristic giant mechs.

BEST GAME IDEA EV4!!!!!!

bs000

That sucks. Thought it was just because I didn't travel to the right areas. i guess because strippers are at your cribs you don't need the strip club.

Hate the fact this old man is getting lap dances and I can't. Don't even know how random people end up in there.

The first time I entered any new crib there'd be groups of homeless people standing in circles instead of strippers and the Saints crew. Re-entering the crib fixed it but yea it was weird.

Someone needs to hire you, that sounds like a ton of fun.

edit: did they ever fix the amd performance problems?

I'm using an AMD card and it runs decently enough. It could probably run better, but I don't think I can blame my video card. At this point my CPU is old and I only have three gigs of RAM, so... yeah. Probably need someone with better Other Stuff to be the real judge.

V_Ben

Banned
Just finished it. That was probably the purest form of fun I've experienced in a video game for quite some time. You know what the game needs though? A New Game +. I don't want to grind levels again as a new character, let me start with all my shit intact, and let me keep building on my guy/girl/?, it'd make for an even crazier experience.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm using an AMD card and it runs decently enough. It could probably run better, but I don't think I can blame my video card. At this point my CPU is old and I only have three gigs of RAM, so... yeah. Probably need someone with better Other Stuff to be the real judge.
I have two 5850s and an overclocked i5. Nearly two months after release and the performance still blows ass. It's still way more fun than GTA IV though so I persevere.

Edgeward

Just finished it. That was probably the purest form of fun I've experienced in a video game for quite some time. You know what the game needs though? A New Game +. I don't want to grind levels again as a new character, let me start with all my shit intact, and let me keep building on my guy/girl/?, it'd make for an even crazier experience.

They should just let you do any mission again using the cellphone. Thankfully, this is the case in the PC version thanks to mods.

I have two 5850s and an overclocked i5. Nearly two months after release and the performance still blows ass. It's still way more fun than GTA IV though so I persevere.

Speaking of GTAIV, I still can't run that game at a decent framerate no matter how low the settings. I think it's an average of 10-15. Saints Row I can at least run at 30+ on medium. I could get higher framerate if I went lower settings.

Top Bottom