• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about as great a selling point as the top-of-class screen's inevitable burn in / ghosting of the phone status bar you'll see when viewing media/pictures fullscreen by the end of the first year or so. Is that listed under features in the manual too?

still not seeing that on my 21 month old Note II

are there certain conditions the burn-in appears under? I have been staring at my Note 2 (bought around launch) and I don't see any burn in.

it definitely happens. you can see it on some store display units.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder what he is smoking. I use my phone more than just about everyone does and I have no burn in.

Sensationalist comments because the phone they use doesn't have AMOLED as well. All it is.

Defensive much? Just look to earlier in the same thread, or google any phone (or even Vita for that manner) with the same kind of screen + "burn in" and you'll find thousands if not millions of results.

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
Went to Best Buy and preordered today.

The guy said "You buy a $50 gift card to reserve the phone." Which would mean the $50 I paid doesn't come off the phone's price.

But on the receipt it says "Samsung Pre-Order, FREE Gift Card."

So I dunno. Whatever.

We will see when I go to pick it up.

They did have working models on the sales floor and they were glorious.
This was my experience as well. If the worst case is me getting a note 4 for only $100, then I'm not gonna sweat it.

As far as the gap situation goes, I'd like to see some up close pics if these gaps. I saw what could be considered a "gap" on one of the best buy demo units, but you certainly wouldn't get a sheet of paper in there without a lot of work, let alone a business card.

it definitely happens. you can see it on some store display units.

yea, I went down to the store to pick up FH2 today and walked by the Note 3 display. and it was really quite bad on a white background. Then again, a store unit is on for way longer than a normal phone. I will say check where the status bar normally would be on your phone on a totally white picture or background and see if you can see some discoloration maybe? i tested it out that way (after my post), and i can see a SLIIIGHT discoloration of the white where the taskbar would be.

JayDub

v150Qo.gif

Just saw this..was honestly the feature I was excited about most. Bad design or is he doing it wrong?

Full video, he tried it again later in the video. Same issue.

turnbuckle

Burn in what? None of my Galaxy devices have had burn in issues.

Here we go again.

I definitely had burn-in on my old Galaxy SIII. I ended up breaking it after it dropped while I was taking a picture a few weeks ago. Wanting to wait to get a Note 4 instead of buying an S5 or LG G3 to replace the broken phone I decided to see if I could borrow someone else's in the interim. A friend of mine who has an S5 let me borrow his GSIII. His phone has burn in too.

Funny thing about the burn-in on my phone was that it was from the NeoGaf app lol.

Avixph

I definitely had burn-in on my old Galaxy SIII. I ended up breaking it after it dropped while I was taking a picture a few weeks ago. Wanting to wait to get a Note 4 instead of buying an S5 or LG G3 to replace the broken phone I decided to see if I could borrow someone else's in the interim. A friend of mine who has an S5 let me borrow his GSIII. His phone has burn in too.

Funny thing about the burn-in on my phone was that it was from the NeoGaf app lol.
NeoGAF doesn't have an app, also you should be browsing with the dark theme.

outsidah

I played with the Note Edge again today at Best Buy and was again impressed with it and the possibilities. That said, the Note 4 felt fantastic and looks great too. Very tempted to get one but I really want to see how much the Edge will be.

The surprise of the visit was the Galaxy Alpha. That phone looks so much better in person, pictures do it no justice. It feels fantastic in hand as well. Screen wasn't anything spectacular but it wasn't bad. Nice option for a compact phone in the US.

This is a good, basic explanation regarding AMOLED screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChnGXLErrI

The whole video is good. The burn-in explanation starts at 12:49. As far as I know, by the 2 year mark, it's almost assured you'll have burn-in. Whether you notice it or not is the key. If those of you who say you don't notice any ran these diagnostics, you would more likely than not notice something. Erica does another video where she demonstrates her Note II's burn-in, but I can't remember which one it is.

kmfdmpig

10672-3027-iPhone-6-Plus-Review001-l.png

Weird, in some stats, the Note 3 is more powerful than the Note 4?

For the onscreen ones that makes sense, but for the off-screen or fixed 1080p ones that seems odd. If that's not a lack of optimization or something then I would guess that the 805 version will be much faster than the exynos version.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here is a review of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 by Android Authority.

I don't know how biased they are, but they didn't have too many bad things to say (most of it was actually pretty positive), and the TouchWiz UI seemed very responsive in that video review, at least 10x better than I'd have expected from what I read about it here.

I'm curious to see if Anandtech's benchmarks place it as poorly as the ones above, I get the feeling they'll do a better job explaining the weaknesses and saying which tests are more relevant etc.

I don't know how biased they are, but they didn't have too many bad things to say (most of it was actually pretty positive), and the TouchWiz UI seemed very responsive in that video review, at least 10x better than I'd have expected from what I read about it here.

I'm curious to see if Anandtech's benchmarks place it as poorly as the ones above, I get the feeling they'll do a better job explaining the weaknesses and saying which tests are more relevant etc.

they won't as they'll be reviewing the Snapdragon version, not Exynos.

Minsc

Gold Member
they won't as they'll be reviewing the Snapdragon version, not Exynos.

I guess Anandtech will go over the difference when they put up their review, but didn't the AA video say they had the Snapdragon version and the 8-core Exynos one was the faster one?

edit: @ 3:10 in the video, they seem to.

I guess Anandtech will go over the difference when they put up their review, but didn't the AA video say they had the Snapdragon version and the 8-core Exynos one was the faster one?

we'll see about that. the above benchmarks have the Exynos version losing to the Snapdragon 801 on some tests. Exynos has been falling behind Snapdragon on some benchmarks since the GS3...

"Editor's Choice", "Samsung's True Flagship"

Avixph

Most of the people that complain about the TouchWiz UI haven't used a Samsung phone since the Galaxy S II (Galaxy S III the latest).

Nicktendo86

This is a good, basic explanation regarding AMOLED screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChnGXLErrI

The whole video is good. The burn-in explanation starts at 12:49. As far as I know, by the 2 year mark, it's almost assured you'll have burn-in. Whether you notice it or not is the key. If those of you who say you don't notice any ran these diagnostics, you would more likely than not notice something. Erica does another video where she demonstrates her Note II's burn-in, but I can't remember which one it is.
Thanks for posting that, the sole reason now that I hate amoled. Burn in WILL happen, whether you notice it or not is the question and I always do.

If the nexus 6 uses an amoled screen, which looks likely, that will be the only thing that holds me back from getting one.

Nikokuno

Most of the people that complain about the TouchWiz UI haven't used a Samsung phone since the Galaxy S II (Galaxy S III the latest).

Obviously, yes. And they love complaining about stuff like lag when it's just about animation or don't see there are tons of apps running in the same time.

Allforce

I've had a SIII for 2+ years and used TouchWiz for about 3 days total. I've always just used a launcher on any Android device I've had and customized it myself. I like being able to hide the task bar and any bloatware, remove and add homescreens, and change the layout of the dock (or again, hide it completely behind a swipe gesture).

I don't think 95% of the people out there who hate on these stock interfaces even understand that there's nobody forcing them to use it and there are better more personal options. Hell even Themer is better and what I've used for the last year or so.

JambiBum

Ordered my note 4 from best buy today. BB told me that they don't have a definitive date for verizon note 4s but according to verizon's website it will ship no later than the 23rd. No idea when BB will get theirs in though. Only going to cost me 50 after the phone trade in deal so that's nice.

soooo... Sprint dropped the contract price to $299.99 and i contacted them about my preorder and their response was to credit me $53.50 ($50 + tax) on my next bill.

I've had a SIII for 2+ years and used TouchWiz for about 3 days total. I've always just used a launcher on any Android device I've had and customized it myself. I like being able to hide the task bar and any bloatware, remove and add homescreens, and change the layout of the dock (or again, hide it completely behind a swipe gesture).

I don't think 95% of the people out there who hate on these stock interfaces even understand that there's nobody forcing them to use it and there are better more personal options. Hell even Themer is better and what I've used for the last year or so.

I have a note, and use Nova, and have my phone exactly how I want it, but there's no escaping all the ultra ugly backend stuff in the UI. It's the worse shit ever, and some of these colors are just complete vomit.

Allforce

One week bitches!

Getting pretty hyped even though I know within 2 weeks I'll be back to using it the same way I use my SIII and not utilizing any Note-only features.

Koppai

Ordered my note 4 from best buy today. BB told me that they don't have a definitive date for verizon note 4s but according to verizon's website it will ship no later than the 23rd. No idea when BB will get theirs in though. Only going to cost me 50 after the phone trade in deal so that's nice.

Only $50 after the trade in deal? I thought they just give you a $200 gift card, so it would be $100 + the taxes?

Explain to me I need to drag my grandpa there so I can do this deal ugh!

Only $50 after the trade in deal? I thought they just give you a $200 gift card, so it would be $100 + the taxes?

Explain to me I need to drag my grandpa there so I can do this deal ugh!

IIRC, @BB they give you a $50 gift card when you preorder, so it would be $50 for preorder and $200 for trade-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom