• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pre-ordered it last Friday during the iPhone 6 hell. My local Verizon store was so busy and the employee was almost shocked when I said why I was there, almost expecting every person that day to get an iPhone 6.

Black Note 4 is going to be an awesome upgrade from my Galaxy S3.

Would love if the phone came early. October 17 is pretty far away.

Thanks for the advice. I settled on black. Looking forward to it.

Any tips you all want to throw out there for a former iPhone user, let me know.

The only thing I really miss from iOS is the lockscreen notification system.

I've been able to get it as close as possible by using NiLS Notification Lockscreen for Android.

But Android L is bringing a new lockscreen overhaul in a few months so hopefully we will get something awesome and wont' need a 3rd party app.

Allforce

I'm gonna get the black Note 4 as well, another upgrade from the S3 here. Samsung is giving 200 dollars for ANY smartphone trade-in towards the purchase of a Note 4 so that basically sealed the deal for me.

I've never used a lockscreen on any of my smartphones, I thought all of them at least had a task bar notifications you could see at the top?

Loxley

I pre-ordered it last Friday during the iPhone 6 hell. My local Verizon store was so busy and the employee was almost shocked when I said why I was there, almost expecting every person that day to get an iPhone 6.

Black Note 4 is going to be an awesome upgrade from my Galaxy S3.

Would love if the phone came early. October 17 is pretty far away.

I'm gonna get the black Note 4 as well, another upgrade from the S3 here. Samsung is giving 200 dollars for ANY smartphone trade-in towards the purchase of a Note 4 so that basically sealed the deal for me.

I've never used a lockscreen on any of my smartphones, I thought all of them at least had a task bar notifications you could see at the top?

Yep, count me in with the GS3 --> black Note 4 crowd as well.

Schlep

GS4 -> black Note 4 when T-Mo opens preorders tomorrow. Seriously considered the white, but video/screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.

Brandwin

The only thing I really miss from iOS is the lockscreen notification system.

I've been able to get it as close as possible by using NiLS Notification Lockscreen for Android.

But Android L is bringing a new lockscreen overhaul in a few months so hopefully we will get something awesome and wont' need a 3rd party app.

Ah, I thought Notifications was something Android did well?

Avixph

If any of you are planning to get the Note 4 off-contract here is what you going to have to pay depending on the carrier:
  • AT&T= $825
  • Sprint= $720
  • T-Mobile= $750
  • Verizon= $699

Nexus 5 upgrading to Note 4. No real need to preorder I don't think. I can't imagine it's as popular as the iPhone.

Well I think Samsung is anticipating having 15 million ready so availability will be easy.

No way it beats out iPhone 6 and 6+ combined numbers but I'd imagine it will easily trump the 6+.

Most people like myself pre ordered to get the 200$ guaranteed phone trade in value.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Well I think Samsung is anticipating having 15 million ready so availability will be easy.

No way it beats out iPhone 6 and 6+ combined numbers but I'd imagine it will easily trump the 6+.

Most people like myself pre ordered to get the 200$ guaranteed phone trade in value.

It's not going to beat the 6 plus.

If any of you are planning to get the Note 4 off-contract here is what you going to have to pay depending on the carrier:
  • AT&T= $825
  • Sprint= $720
  • T-Mobile= $750
  • Verizon= $699

That's a pretty nasty hit I'd take if I tried to sell it in a few months. Probably would only be able to get $500 for it.

Cheebo

Banned

No chance it outsells the 6+.

jrcbandit

I previously had a 6 Plus on order for October 3 delivery but cancelled after using it in person. The Note 4 seems a much better deal being 0.2 inches shorter while having a screen 0.2 in larger and higher ppi. Any size savings help with pocketability, the huge top bezel on iPhones need to go.

The advantage of removable battery and expandable storage is obvious. It's annoying that the iPhone is stuck at 16gb as a minimum, which really isn't useable if you use your phone for more than calls and browsing. That makes the Note $150 cheaper at $700 vs $850 iPhone 64gb.

I was also annoyed at Apple sticking with 1gb RAM which means the phone won't handle split screen multitasking well (supposedly coming n IOS 8.1) and results in a sub par browser experience. For current Android phones I don't remember my tabs ever refreshing, while with Safari it happens all the time (but not as badly in IOS 8).

The big downside to the Note 4 is Samsung bloatware. However, Android phones are generally hacked rapidly so using a custom ROM with only S pen apps intact should be easy to do.

The s pen should hopefully be useful to take notes at conferences/lectures although the screen might be too small do that effectively?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
what kind of screen does the Note 4 use? Still a form of AMOLED or OLED? Hope not, as my Note 2 has bad burn in after less than 2 years...

DarkFlow

Banned
  • AT&T= $825
  • Sprint= $720
  • T-Mobile= $750
  • Verizon= $699

I guess that locked bootloader on AT&T costs extra. IF you're going off contract, you might as well just get the T-Mobile one.

TxdoHawk

The big downside to the Note 4 is Samsung bloatware. However, Android phones are generally hacked rapidly so using a custom ROM with only S pen apps intact should be easy to do.

As a former S4 owner...It can be a real pain to deal with this stuff, to be honest, especially if you have specific needs.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The Note 4 uses a 5.7" Quad HD Super AMOLED display.

oh chute. thanks for this info, I'll have to go with a different phone then. my note 2 has really bad burn in (status bar and clock bar on lock screen especially) and i want to switch back to LCD

• AT&T= $825
  • Sprint= $720
  • T-Mobile= $750
  • Verizon= $699

See why is everyone bitching the Verizon version has so much branding when they can offer it for cheaper?

oh chute. thanks for this info, I'll have to go with a different phone then. my note 2 has really bad burn in (status bar and clock bar on lock screen especially) and i want to switch back to LCD

I'm pretty sure that burn in problem got remedied with the Note 3 and S4/S5 so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Allforce

I wonder how much I'd get if I trade in my GN3

You'll get whatever the trade-in value is at the store you buy from, and then you send that receipt along with the receipt for the Note 4 purchase to Samsung and they'll pay you the difference up to 200 bucks.

So you get 20 bucks in trade-in at Verizon, Samsung will send you 180. 50? Check for 150. And so on.

Schlep

Apparently it's impossible to preorder using JUMP on T-Mobile. Their reps on Twitter say it can be done, but for the last hour I've gotten, "We are sorry, our systems are not currently available. Please, wait a few minutes and try again." after filling out the device conditions.

Called a store and they said you can't preorder there with JUMP and as far as they know, you can't online either. Glad I only have to deal with this crap once a year.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Makes sense. But I'll sell my Nexus 5 for more than that, otherwise I'd probably do this, too.

Schlep

Finally placed the order by calling T-Mo customer service. They gave me free overnight shipping and said the phone will arrive 13th at the earliest, 15th at the latest. Now to wait at the door Scott Pilgrim style...

Edit: Got a text from them with an estimated delivery date of 10/3. That would be amazing since I'm gonna need WatchESPN on 10/4.

Finally placed the order by calling T-Mo customer service. They gave me free overnight shipping and said the phone will arrive 13th at the earliest, 15th at the latest. Now to wait at the door Scott Pilgrim style...

Edit: Got a text from them with an estimated delivery date of 10/3. That would be amazing since I'm gonna need WatchESPN on 10/4.

I would be so jelly if you got it that early. Verizon has a 10/23 shipping date that is hopefully a placeholder.

You'll get whatever the trade-in value is at the store you buy from, and then you send that receipt along with the receipt for the Note 4 purchase to Samsung and they'll pay you the difference up to 200 bucks.

So you get 20 bucks in trade-in at Verizon, Samsung will send you 180. 50? Check for 150. And so on.

This can't be done on contract, can it?

Jomjom

Banned
Damn! What an awesome trade in deal. Is T-Mo getting this phone? If so I'm thinking of trading in my crappy Xperia Ion for $200 and getting the Note even though I already have the 6 Plus.

This phone looks sturdy. I bet it wouldn't bend.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

What sucks is that my Note 3 is flawless.. But I'm paying pretty much retail price in a sprint framily plan..

Allforce

This can't be done on contract, can it?

It's your device, you can do whatever you want. The promotion is through Samsung not any specific retailer.

I'm going to pre-order the Note 4 through Verizon and then sell my S3 on Amazon, send the receipts to Samsung and get the difference of 200 minus whatever Amazon gives me.

turnbuckle

Dammit, my S3 breaking a month ago just cost me $200 in trade-in value.

Anywho - pre-ordered my Note 4. Gonna be really nice coming from an S3.

Avixph

To whoever is worried about the Galaxy Note 4 bending like the iPhone 6 Plus because has a metal band around it here is a bend test that might eliminate those worries.

outsidah

Patiently waiting for the Note Edge preorder. There was some blurb yesterday about it not being widely distributed so it looks like production of this one will be somewhat limited. I'm not surprised since it's still such a new type of screen.

To whoever is worried about the Galaxy Note 4 bending like the iPhone 6 Plus because has a metal band around it here is a bend test that might eliminate those worries.

I wasn't worried at all given the Note 3's solid construction. But good to see it in action.

I was all Note 4 bandwagon. But this Sony event next week and the RIDICULOUS battery life of the Z3C have me second guessing.

outsidah

I wasn't worried at all given the Note 3's solid construction. But good to see it in action.

I was all Note 4 bandwagon. But this Sony event next week and the RIDICULOUS battery life of the Z3C have me second guessing.

The super battery life isn't a big deal to me, I mean it's nice to have, but the Note series battery life is more than enough for me to make it through the day and more.

I think the size of the Z3C is pretty much perfect, but I am a sucker for big screens and power so I'm sticking to the Note.

Allforce

Just got back from Best Buy, just FYI if you pre-order there, the deal is pretty swank right now:

Pay 50 bucks down on the pre-order, get a 50 dollar Best Buy gift card right now
When the phone is released they're matching the Samsung promotion and are giving 200 dollars for any working smartphone when you show up to get the Note 4.

So basically you're paying 50 bucks out of pocket there (300 - 50 dollar gift card - 200 for your phone = 50 bucks) AND you're avoiding all the stupid "send in your receipts to Samsung, wait 4-6 weeks for rebate check" nonsense.

Plus you get a swag bag for pre-ordering!

NH Apache

Banned
Just got back from Best Buy, just FYI if you pre-order there, the deal is pretty swank right now:

Pay 50 bucks down on the pre-order, get a 50 dollar Best Buy gift card right now
When the phone is released they're matching the Samsung promotion and are giving 200 dollars for any working smartphone when you show up to get the Note 4.

So basically you're paying 50 bucks out of pocket there (300 - 50 dollar gift card - 200 for your phone = 50 bucks) AND you're avoiding all the stupid "send in your receipts to Samsung, wait 4-6 weeks for rebate check" nonsense.

Plus you get a swag bag for pre-ordering!

What's in the bag?

Calibus

After using it a week, it continues to floor me as to what an incredibly well-constructed piece of hardware the Note 3 is. This thing sips battery even at full screen brightness. If the Note 4 is even better than this then that is just insane.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I just upgraded to an M8 in April... but I'm bored with it and want the new Note. Wonder how much it'd cost me...

Pissed I didn't go with the Note 3 back in the spring.

TTOOLL

I previously had a 6 Plus on order for October 3 delivery but cancelled after using it in person. The Note 4 seems a much better deal being 0.2 inches shorter while having a screen 0.2 in larger and higher ppi. Any size savings help with pocketability, the huge top bezel on iPhones need to go.

The advantage of removable battery and expandable storage is obvious. It's annoying that the iPhone is stuck at 16gb as a minimum, which really isn't useable if you use your phone for more than calls and browsing. That makes the Note $150 cheaper at $700 vs $850 iPhone 64gb.

I was also annoyed at Apple sticking with 1gb RAM which means the phone won't handle split screen multitasking well (supposedly coming n IOS 8.1) and results in a sub par browser experience. For current Android phones I don't remember my tabs ever refreshing, while with Safari it happens all the time (but not as badly in IOS 8).

The s pen should hopefully be useful to take notes at conferences/lectures although the screen might be too small do that effectively?

Buying an expensive phone already thinking about a custom ROM might not be the best idea out there. Just saying.
I'm biased against Samsung phones though.

let's rock!
oP1GKbkl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom