• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allforce

What's in the bag?

Some Samsung hand sanitizer, a pen-light, chap-stick, and a measuring tape.

To be honest the bag is the best part of the swag bag, it's just a nice canvas bag with "Samsung Galaxy" on it, can always use more reusable bags for grocery shopping.

goldenpp72

Some Samsung hand sanitizer, a pen-light, chap-stick, and a measuring tape.

To be honest the bag is the best part of the swag bag, it's just a nice canvas bag with "Samsung Galaxy" on it, can always use more reusable bags for grocery shopping.

Is there any way to check if that promotion is valid at a specific store? Car is having some trouble so I don't want to go down there if I can't make anything happen.

I just called my local Best Buy. She said they give the $50 gift card if you pre-order, but she hasn't heard anything about a $200 trade in for your cell phone.

*Edit. Alright, checked their forums.

Not all stores can accept trade-in due to Pawn license or something. Here is a location search with promo:

CLICK THIS

Then click on store name and it will tell you "Trade-Ins are accepted at this store."

goldenpp72

I called my local store, they said they give you a 50 dollar gift card, but that it's because you give them 50 dollars to preorder the phone, so you don't really gain anything I guess. Got a bit excited there, they did mention doing the 200 dollar promo, so maybe i'll take a look see.

Allforce

I called my local store, they said they give you a 50 dollar gift card, but that it's because you give them 50 dollars to preorder the phone, so you don't really gain anything I guess. Got a bit excited there, they did mention doing the 200 dollar promo, so maybe i'll take a look see.

The 50 dollars you pay comes off the price of the phone (299), so you only owe 250 when it releases. The gift card is a bonus on top of that you can apply to the phone or anything else.

So even if you're not trading in a phone you're getting an extra 50 bucks off the thing just for pre-ordering.

They are giving you $250 in total.

So you only have to pay $50 plus tax for the phone

outsidah

Thought I would mention my local Best Buy has the Note 4 and Note Edge on display (working units!). Apparently not every BB has these but it's worth a look.

Sid

Improvements I want for the Note 5:-
Front facing stereo speakers
4K screen (I know it's overkill but Samsung is planning to do this anyway)
Bigger battery (3600 or 4000 mAh?)
Thinner and lighter if possible for a form factor without a protruding camera

4K screen (I know it's overkill but Samsung is planning to do this anyway)

Super unnecessary. I downgraded from my Note 2's 720p to a 540p screen and haven't really missed a thing. The resolution war needs to end, sooner rather than later.

This would also murder battery life.

Thinner and lighter if possible for a form factor without a protruding camera

Optically not possible without making the camera worse.

The 50 dollars you pay comes off the price of the phone (299), so you only owe 250 when it releases. The gift card is a bonus on top of that you can apply to the phone or anything else.

So even if you're not trading in a phone you're getting an extra 50 bucks off the thing just for pre-ordering.
Has it been confirmed that you can use the $200 giftcard on the phone itself?

It just feels like these deals usually give you the card AFTER you buy the phone, so that you have to spend the money in their store on something else.

If you can use it on the phone itself that would be fantastic, and I'd actually go out to Best Buy tomorrow to preorder it. I've got the Note 2 right now, so if I can upgrade to the Note 4 for only $50-100 (depending on if I use the $50 on the phone or something else) that would be perfect.

Allforce

Has it been confirmed that you can use the $200 giftcard on the phone itself?

It just feels like these deals usually give you the card AFTER you buy the phone, so that you have to spend the money in their store on something else.

If you can use it on the phone itself that would be fantastic, and I'd actually go out to Best Buy tomorrow to preorder it. I've got the Note 2 right now, so if I can upgrade to the Note 4 for only $50-100 (depending on if I use the $50 on the phone or something else) that would be perfect.

I specifically asked this because I know exactly what you're talking about and was worried as well. They said they take your working smartphone and take 200 dollars off the price of the Note 4 right at the time of sale. They literally stressed how you're only paying 50 dollars out of pocket for the Note 4.

All they're doing is matching the Samsung promotion and adding a 50 dollar BB gift card to sweeten it.

markot

Banned
I've liked all my Samsung phones but they keep increasing the crap they put on them.... I love the multi screen, pen input... etc... but then they just put so many apps and shit on their phones.

Also they don't support their phones as well as Apple does. Even their flagships.

The note 4 looks amazing.

I specifically asked this because I know exactly what you're talking about and was worried as well. They said they take your working smartphone and take 200 dollars off the price of the Note 4 right at the time of sale. They literally stressed how you're only paying 50 dollars out of pocket for the Note 4.

All they're doing is matching the Samsung promotion and adding a 50 dollar BB gift card to sweeten it.
Excellent! Thanks for confirming that.

I'll probably head out to a Best Buy today to preorder it.

I really wanted the Moto X because if it's nicer features like the voice stuff and front facing speaker, but the battery life kinda killed it for me. And at $50 for an upgrade from my Note 2, the Note 4 is a no brained.

Koppai

Excellent! Thanks for confirming that.

I'll probably head out to a Best Buy today to preorder it.

I really wanted the Moto X because if it's nicer features like the voice stuff and front facing speaker, but the battery life kinda killed it for me. And at $50 for an upgrade from my Note 2, the Note 4 is a no brained.
I already have an account with AT&T so I can bring in an iPhone 4 8gb from Verizon and only pay $50 for a Note 4?

Of course it am trying to call Best Buy but they are poorly ran and don't have people to answer the phones..

Same shit at their other stores can't get them fuckers to answer.

I finally got someone on the line but they don't work in the mobile department and said it was extremely busy. But it does sound like that's how it works. I looked up the iPhone 4 8GB Verizon trade in price and it's $50 on their website. So they give you $200 credit for the phone and a $50 gift card and I can use that right then and only pay the $50 + 8.25% on $299.99 ($24.75) taxes = $74.75?

Brandwin

I wonder how great of condition the phone has to be in to get the trade in? I have an iPhone 5 I would trade it, but there is some scratches on the back and a very small chip on the bottom back.

I know when I thought about trading it in at Best Buy mobile for iPhone 6, they were going to give me $118, so I am guessing I could still get the $200.

I am thinking about cancelling my order with AT&T and doing this at Best Buy.

outsidah

I wonder how great of condition the phone has to be in to get the trade in? I have an iPhone 5 I would trade it, but there is some scratches on the back and a very small chip on the bottom back.

I know when I thought about trading it in at Best Buy mobile for iPhone 6, they were going to give me $118, so I am guessing I could still get the $200.

Best Buy and most places require the phone to be working without water damage or a cracked screen. It sounds like yours will be just fine.

The Samsung promo requires you to trade it in to a store like BB and save the documents on how much they paid you. Samsung will cut you a check for the difference of how much under $200 they gave you.

Apparently BB has another promo on top of that to also give you a $50 GC.

Brandwin

Best Buy and most places require the phone to be working without water damage or a cracked screen. It sounds like yours will be just fine.

The Samsung promo requires you to trade it in to a store like BB and save the documents on how much they paid you. Samsung will cut you a check for the difference of how much under $200 they gave you.

Apparently BB has another promo on top of that to also give you a $50 GC.
I thought the point to trade in at Best Buy was to avoid having to wait for mail in rebate from Samsung and getting a $200 gift card at time of trade in to use towards Note 4?

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
They are giving you $250 in total.

So you only have to pay $50 plus tax for the phone
Is this up to each store to offer the additional $50 gift card or not? I stopped by this afternoon and there was no mention of the 50 when I asked about the trade in promo, only that they take 200 off the price of the phone with my trade. Is there an advertisement for the extra 50 someone can link me to?

Allforce

Guys told me that as long as it could get data they'd give you 200, nothing about the physical condition of the phone was a qualifier.

Is this up to each store to offer the additional $50 gift card or not? I stopped by this afternoon and there was no mention of the 50 when I asked about the trade in promo, only that they take 200 off the price of the phone with my trade. Is there an advertisement for the extra 50 someone can link me to?

You get the 50 dollar gift card when you put 50 down on the pre-order of the Note 4. I paid my 50 and they literally handed me a gift card right there.

If it helps any my local BB has an entire Samsung "section" with employees who all wear Samsung shirts, they're all pretty knowledgeable from what I gathered after taking to two or three of them so it might help to start there and talk to them. When I bought the actual pre-order though they took me over to the mobile phone section of the store and had me sit at one of those little cubicles and check out. The chick there had it all in order and knew the ins and outs as well.

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
You get the 50 dollar gift card when you put 50 down on the pre-order of the Note 4. I paid my 50 and they literally handed me a gift card right there.

If it helps any my local BB has an entire Samsung "section" with employees who all wear Samsung shirts, they're all pretty knowledgeable from what I gathered after taking to two or three of them so it might help to start there and talk to them. When I bought the actual pre-order though they took me over to the mobile phone section of the store and had me sit at one of those little cubicles and check out. The chick there had it all in order and knew the ins and outs as well.
Hmm, I'll have to press them about it when I go back tomorrow. I did talk to the Samsung guy in the Samsung area but maybe he didn't know or I need to be more specific.

On the phone itself, the demo units on hand were gorgeous! I had a 6+ ordered, but I'm glad I cancelled that in favor of the note 4.

Brandwin

Guys told me that as long as it could get data they'd give you 200, nothing about the physical condition of the phone was a qualifier.

Looks like as long as the screen isn't cracked and no water damage, you are good to go with the trade in. I cancelled my AT&T preorder tonight and plan to go to Best Buy to preorder tomorrow.
Which cases are you peeps getting for this phone?

I plan to go naked.

Avixph

Looks like as long as the screen isn't cracked and no water damage, you are good to go with the trade in. I cancelled my AT&T preorder tonight and plan to go to Best Buy to preorder tomorrow.

I plan to go naked.
Aren't you worried that the painted aluminum sides will chip?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Questions from a guy that doesn't know shit about phones:

1. My 2 year contract with Sprint on my Galaxy S3 ended in August, so I can get a new phone. How would working the Note 4 into my plan go, or should I get a different plan? I have unlimited text and data, and 450 daytime minutes (I rarely use) for about $90. Unlimited/unthrottled data is important to me. If there's a thread about this kind of thing, I'd appreciate a redirect.

2. How would I retain or transfer all the important data from my old phone to the Note 4 if you have to give them the old phone first? Do apps I bought in the Play store still work on a new Android, or would I have to buy them again?

3. Does anyone recommend an S5 over the Note 4? That's what I was going to upgrade to before I heard about the Note 4, but now the S5 seems underwhelming, like it's just some random phone.

Aw, that sucks. Should we hold off on pre-orders, or will they fix it soon enough to still get this $200 deal? I could just wait for a revision, I'm not in a hurry.

1. My 2 year contract with Sprint on my Galaxy S3 ended in August, so I can get a new phone. How would working the Note 4 into my plan go, or should I get a different plan? I have unlimited text and data, and 450 daytime minutes (I rarely use) for about $90. Unlimited/unthrottled data is important to me. If there's a thread about this kind of thing, I'd appreciate a redirect.

Hey I stopped reading here, but I'm certain I had a $60 unlimited everything plan for Sprint. 90$ is an antique plan?

Allforce

One report hardly seems like a "plague". This is some "jump on the latest doom and gloom based on minimal evidence" shit like the iPhone 6 bending issue was.

2. How would I retain or transfer all the important data from my old phone to the Note 4 if you have to give them the old phone first? Do apps I bought in the Play store still work on a new Android, or would I have to buy them again?

3. Does anyone recommend an S5 over the Note 4? That's what I was going to upgrade to before I heard about the Note 4, but now the S5 seems underwhelming, like it's just some random phone.

1. Keep your plan.

2. They do it at the store, they'll take your SIM card out, restore all your contacts and apps and information on the new phone, then wipe the old one in front of you and show you it's free and clear. App purchases are tied to your Google account so you can just redownload anything you ever paid for before free of charge.

3. My rule when upgrading is always buy whatever is top of the line at that moment in time. You're going to have the phone for 2 years at least so might as well have the best.

WarMacheen

Just got back from Best Buy, just FYI if you pre-order there, the deal is pretty swank right now:

Pay 50 bucks down on the pre-order, get a 50 dollar Best Buy gift card right now
When the phone is released they're matching the Samsung promotion and are giving 200 dollars for any working smartphone when you show up to get the Note 4.

So basically you're paying 50 bucks out of pocket there (300 - 50 dollar gift card - 200 for your phone = 50 bucks) AND you're avoiding all the stupid "send in your receipts to Samsung, wait 4-6 weeks for rebate check" nonsense.

Plus you get a swag bag for pre-ordering!

I think it is a $200 Best Buy gift card at trade in and not a check/cash. Though still better than waiting on Samsung

Pre-Order Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Today
Experience the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in all Best Buy and select Best Buy Mobile locations. Check with your local store for details. Plus, get a $200 Best Buy gift card at time of purchase when you trade in any working smartphone.

Allforce

I think it is a $200 Best Buy gift card at trade in and not a check/cash. Though still better than waiting on Samsung

Whatever it is it comes off the price of the Note 4. I was told it's just a 200 dollar trade-in credit. The 50 dollar gift card I got was for putting 50 dollars down on pre-ordering and can also be used towards the price of the phone as well.

Went to Best Buy and preordered today.

The guy said "You buy a $50 gift card to reserve the phone." Which would mean the $50 I paid doesn't come off the phone's price.

But on the receipt it says "Samsung Pre-Order, FREE Gift Card."

So I dunno. Whatever.

We will see when I go to pick it up.

They did have working models on the sales floor and they were glorious.

VoxPop

Gonna pick one of these up as a gift for my mom.

Will there be a custom rom without all the touchwiz bloat but still have access to things like S-Note?

Curiously, though, Samsung directly addresses this issue in its manual for the European Galaxy Note 4, which arrived on the company's support site in the past day. Tucked away on page 180 of the document, under the "Troubleshooting" section, is the following —

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case

This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur.
Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.
i ... uhh ... lol

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-4-screen-gap-necessary-manufacturing-feature-says-manual

'feature'

It's about as great a selling point as the top-of-class screen's inevitable burn in / ghosting of the phone status bar you'll see when viewing media/pictures fullscreen by the end of the first year or so. Is that listed under features in the manual too?
Burn in what? None of my Galaxy devices have had burn in issues.

Here we go again.

It's about as great a selling point as the top-of-class screen's inevitable burn in / ghosting of the phone status bar you'll see when viewing media/pictures fullscreen by the end of the first year or so. Is that listed under features in the manual too?

are there certain conditions the burn-in appears under? I have been staring at my Note 2 (bought around launch) and I don't see any burn in.

are there certain conditions the burn-in appears under? I have been staring at my Note 2 (bought around launch) and I don't see any burn in.
I wonder what he is smoking. I use my phone more than just about everyone does and I have no burn in.

Sensationalist comments because the phone they use doesn't have AMOLED as well. All it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom