• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

soooo... Sprint dropped the contract price to $299.99 and i contacted them about my preorder and their response was to credit me $53.50 ($50 + tax) on my next bill.

Which way did you contact them? I'm having a tough time finding a number that isn't a sprint store on the website. I'm in the same boat you were in and that $50+ would be a nice bonus :)

Allforce

They've talked about the quick-charge capability of the Note 4, like getting 50% within 30 minutes or so, is that a built-in feature or do you need a special adapter for that feature?

They've talked about the quick-charge capability of the Note 4, like getting 50% within 30 minutes or so, is that a built-in feature or do you need a special adapter for that feature?

They include a new wall charger that pumps out more amps.

Battery review on the previous page said full charge in 85 minutes. That shit cray

Also, the phone has to be turned off completely for that speed. Still fast though.

Its the main reason they got rid of USB 3.0.

Sakujou

Banned
I wonder if they have left handed models. It would be a large design overlook.

fucking this. iam a left hander and it sucks all the time if i have to deal with this right-hand-designed mess. sometimes it doesnt bother but sometimes i have to bridge my fingers all over the place just to reach a certain function or button.

i have a gs2 and i will change to a note4 next year. so looking forward. i hope until then that there will be a waterproof version of it.

10672-3027-iPhone-6-Plus-Review001-l.png

Weird, in some stats, the Note 3 is more powerful than the Note 4?

how is this possible, in all those years that the iphone is when it comes to benchmarks still a leading device?

it has completely outdated stuff in it... how is only apple able to pull something like this?

iam still not able to understand.

turnbuckle

I'm not really clear on the whole exynos versus snapdragon thing.

I believe the US is getting Snapdragon 805
but I'm not finding anything showing a comparison of benchmarks between it an exynos or between it and other phones.

The phone is supposed to be coming here next week...i would have hoped to have seen more info on it.

Cheebo

Banned
how is this possible, in all those years that the iphone is when it comes to benchmarks still a leading device?

it has completely outdated stuff in it... how is only apple able to pull something like this?

Its because apple designs the hardware, software, and the chip itself. Its extremely optimized.

I'm not really clear on the whole exynos versus snapdragon thing.

I believe the US is getting Snapdragon 805
but I'm not finding anything showing a comparison of benchmarks between it an exynos or between it and other phones.

The phone is supposed to be coming here next week...i would have hoped to have seen more info on it.

For some reason Samsung always uses the Exynos processor on "third world" markets, like south america etc, they usually perform a bit worse than the Snapdragons.

Ninja Dom

The 64-bit Apple A8 and PowerVR GX6450 based GPU are not outdated.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I just called my local Best Buy, and the guy said that they're doing the $200 credit deal for up to a week after the release day. I work on the 17th and my break is less than 90 minutes, and the store is 25 miles away, so it would be better to drive up on a day off. He also confirmed the whole immediate credit vs. Samsung's check mailing deal, which is definitely a plus in their favor since I'm pretty low on cash right now. The only thing I don't know about (forgot to ask) is any $50 pre-order gift card bonus.

rezuth

fucking this. iam a left hander and it sucks all the time if i have to deal with this right-hand-designed mess. sometimes it doesnt bother but sometimes i have to bridge my fingers all over the place just to reach a certain function or button.

i have a gs2 and i will change to a note4 next year. so looking forward. i hope until then that there will be a waterproof version of it.

vertical integration

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
So sad that the phone still lags a lot, especially when taking pictures, its one of the things that drive me crazy on the Note 3 and it seems like they havent fixed it :(

I wish some other phone came with a stylus, I love using it for remote desktop.

huh? i didn't see much lag in the video at all.

So sad that the phone still lags a lot, especially when taking pictures, its one of the things that drive me crazy on the Note 3 and it seems like they havent fixed it :(

My S5 lags everywhere even after shortening animations and disabling everything I can. The new Moto X I just tried in-store was silky smooth :\

huh? i didn't see much lag in the video at all.

Look how long it takes between him pressing the shutter button and seeing that the picture has been taken. Also look at the reaction times of the UI in general.

My S5 lags everywhere even after shortening animations and disabling everything I can. The new Moto X I just tried in-store was silky smooth :

Samsung has me by the balls with the stylus a and the SD card support, if it wasn't for that I would be using another Android phone, the support for the Note 3 has been atrocious, I had to wait 6 months to get kitkat and when I finally did, it introduced a battery bug where my battery only lasts less than 10 hours per day with screen on time of 1 hour, they never fixed it, disgraceful. Been considering for months flashing a custom rom but im afraid to mess my phone even more.

Future

For existing note users... How useful is the stylus day to day? Considering the note still and that stylus is a big reason. But I have a feeling in not really gonna use it. I mean I could scribble notes, but wouldn't I rather type with the onscreen keyboard to get notes in a format easily emailed or exported to a doc?

highrider

Banned
For existing note users... How useful is the stylus day to day? Considering the note still and that stylus is a big reason. But I have a feeling in not really gonna use it. I mean I could scribble notes, but wouldn't I rather type with the onscreen keyboard to get notes in a format easily emailed or exported to a doc?

For me as an artist it's very useful, and I find myself using it fairly frequently for other things. For me it is the selling point of the phone. So, s-pen fo lyfe.

Tabris

Man, Samsung is really diluting their brand. They need to pull back their R&D and focus on a couple core products. Should just be:

Galaxy
Note
*Insert some name for a low end model*

MrJames

Preordered mine yesterday at Best Buy. They told me I could use my old HTC Evo 4G Wimax for the $200 trade in as long as it worked and the screen wasn't cracked. It's in mint condition so I should be good there. He said Sprint is still confirmed for launch on the 17th

Count me in as interested in the Gear VR but I'm a little skeptical about its capabilities and price. It looks to be wireless only so battery life and lack of inputs are my main concerns. USB and HDMI inputs would have been nice options for maintaining charge and 3D content. The $200 rumor sounds a bit high if the Note 4 is doing all the work.

Pay attention to the resolution in those benches. Only the offscreen tests really matter when looking at benches like that.

Schlep

Preordered mine yesterday at Best Buy. They told me I could use my old HTC Evo 4G Wimax for the $200 trade in as long as it worked and the screen wasn't cracked.

Hope you weren't still using that thing. HTC rolled out an update right before I got the Galaxy Nexus that made the thing pretty much unusable. Turned me off to ever buying HTC again.

MrJames

Hope you weren't still using that thing. HTC rolled out an update right before I got the Galaxy Nexus that made the thing pretty much unusable. Turned me off to ever buying HTC again.

No way. I got a Galaxy S3 as soon as it launched that I'm currently using. I want to keep it to let my mother use as month to month when she visits.

giga

Pay attention to the resolution in those benches. Only the offscreen tests really matter when looking at benches like that.
I'd say both do, but for different purposes. The offscreen tests measure the absolute power of the GPUs while the onscreen ones measure native output. The former is useful for comparing GPUs, and the latter for comparing phones. Phones with higher resolutions will demand more powerful GPUs, and vice versa.

Brandwin

I am jealous that people who preordered from T-Mobile are having their phones shipped out already and many are expecting to receive them by tomorrow.

I know AT&T had told me I might get mine a day or two early since they would ship out on the 14th, but I cancelled and went with Best Buy instead to get the instant $200 credit when I trade in my iPhone 5.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Does a small scratch on the screen count as "cracked"? I've had my Galaxy S3 for 2 years and it's the only real damage the phone has suffered. I want to get as much of the $200 credit as possible, since the guy at Best Buy told me not every phone gets all $200. The scratch is just a couple millimeters long, and barely noticeable.

The headphone jack may have an issue. Lately I've only been able to hear on the left side of my headphones on it unless I hold it in a certain direction. It cold be due to getting grime in there from camping or the beach, though.

Schlep

I am jealous that people who preordered from T-Mobile are having their phones shipped out already and many are expecting to receive them by tomorrow.

Mine arrived at Alliance airport in Fort Worth at 8 tonight. Wish I could drive the 5 miles to pick it up instead of having to wait for them to get here late tomorrow.

On the other hand, I would've been fine waiting until Friday.

Koppai

Okay so I went to Best Buy...

I preordered the Galaxy Note 4 on AT&T, it won't be available until Friday.

I have an Apple iPhone 8GB from Verizon in impeccable condition, are they going to accept it and take $200 off the price of the phone? We need a list of phones that they accept. Otherwise I'm gonna have to cancel it :(

Thanks.

I have an Apple iPhone 8GB from Verizon in impeccable condition, are they going to accept it?

Thanks.

Wouldn't that have been something you would have asked at Best Buy?

MultiCore

I have an Apple iPhone 8GB from Verizon in impeccable condition, are they going to accept it?

Thanks.
They have a trade in checker on their website.

Just a guess: no.

Koppai

Their website says "ANY" phone though. It doesn't say GET UP TO $200

"Get a $200 Best Buy gift card at time of purchase with trade in of any working smartphone."

Also I guess if they don't accept it for the full trade in value I can just send it to Samsung to get a rebate minus the trade in value. If Best Buy wants to be a dick atleast Samsung will still value it.

I also think it just has to be a phone that is listed on Best Buy's website for trade in, which the iPhone 4 8GB Verizon is listed. They really need to clarify their shit more often.

MultiCore

Their website says "ANY" phone though. It doesn't say GET UP TO $200

"Get a $200 Best Buy gift card at time of purchase with trade in of any working smartphone."

Also I guess if they don't accept it for the full trade in value I can just send it to Samsung to get a rebate minus the trade in value. If Best Buy wants to be a dick atleast Samsung will still value it.
I checked a Droid X, for instance, and Best Buy declared it to have zero trade in value. They did say my Galaxy S2 is worth $15 though.

Read all the fine print. Verizon says it had to be worth $15, and you get the difference from Samsung. Best Buy has different valuations, so I'm going with them.

Because I'm insane, I did all your research for you, and Best Buy will give you $32 for your 8gb iPhone 4(which you didn't specify).

You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom