• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koppai

I checked a Droid X, for instance, and Best Buy declared it to have zero trade in value. They did say my Galaxy S2 is worth $15 though.

Read all the fine print. Verizon says it had to be worth $15, and you get the difference from Samsung. Best Buy has different valuations, so I'm going with them.

Because I'm insane, I did all your research for you, and Best Buy will give you $32 for your 8gb iPhone 4(which you didn't specify).

You should be fine.

So the phone just have to have a value above $10 for Best Buy to take the $200 off?

MultiCore

So Best Buy would give me $32, but they are gonna take $200 off the phone right? I'm confused now. Samsung's site says that Best Buy is not eligible for the deal since they have their own.
Since it had a non-zero value, you'll get the $200, and the $50 gift card after your $50 reservation.

Koppai

Since it had a non-zero value, you'll get the $200, and the $50 gift card after your $50 reservation.

Okay so I'm fine, good. Thanks *crisis averted*. My grandfather thought it was a good deal after I told him about it so he is paying it for me. My phone is crapping out anyway (not the iPhone) but my S3 and it's up for upgrade too.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Are all Best Buys doing a $50 gift card pre-order bonus? The guy I talked to on the phone didn't mention anything about it, and I can't find any mention of it on the site. I was planning to drive up there next week, but if I could save an additional $50 by pre-ordering I might consider going in tomorrow and picking the Note up on release. A few days of no phone isn't a big deal, I'm just worried about the contact information transfer part of it.

EDIT: I called them again and someone else told me that the promotion is just reserving a spot for the Note 4 when you buy a $50 got card, and that the fall doesn't make it any cheaper.

Schlep

Absolutely love this phone. Video on it vis amazing and it's the perfect size for someone who spends 1/20th the time using it for voice calls than everything else. Can even tell a crispness difference in the screen between it and the S4. Huge upgrade.

MrJames

Are they in stores now? I'd like to hold one and compare it to my iPhone 6+ (which is still well within the return window).

They have some on display that you can play with.

I was told that Best Buy will take any phone on their trade in site regardless of value. It just has to work and the screen can't be cracked. If they'll take my old Evo Wimax, I'm sure they'll take any iPhone.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...In/pcmcat133600050011.c?id=pcmcat133600050011

JayDub

[Repost from iPhone 6 thread]

So I have the Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus and Im trying to decide which to keep.

Very disappointed with the Note 4's camera relative to the iPhone 6 Plus. iPhone focuses unbelievably fast, literally almost imperceptible. It takes a good 2-3 seconds before the Note focuses.

Here's a fairly low-light picture (low light living room, night). Stock settings on both. Just took it out and shot. I was also doing a slight shake with my iPhone 6 Plus as I was trying to press the shutter button with a thick case on (not easy with one hand).

Note 4

4rocsQ7.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus

The iPhone 6 Plus blows the Note 4 away. Focus is way fast. OIS is awesome. The Note really struggles when you have any movement while taking the pic, as it takes a bit to focus.

Another example. This time, "macro" shots.

Hot damn did the Note 4 have a hard time focusing for all my macro shots. This one, when it finally focused (6 attempts), I had to stay absolutely still as the focus kept disengaging and focusing on the background. It also had this weird effect where the middle of my leg was blurry/out of focus.

The iPhone 6 Plus, focused on my leg immediately.

Im really struggling with my decision. Having the freedom to set default apps is a deal breaker..

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

Very disappointed with the Note 4's camera relative to the iPhone 6 Plus. iPhone focuses unbelievably fast, literally almost imperceptible. It takes a good 2-3 seconds before the Note focuses.

Here's a fairly low-light picture (low light living room, night). Stock settings on both. Just took it out and shot. I was also doing a slight shake with my iPhone 6 Plus as I was trying to press the shutter button with a thick case on (not easy with one hand).

Note 4

iPhone 6 Plus

The iPhone 6 Plus blows the Note 4 away. Focus is way fast. OIS is awesome. The Note really struggles when you have any movement while taking the pic, as it takes a bit to focus.

Hot damn did the Note 4 have a hard time focusing for all my macro shots. This one, when it finally focused (6 attempts), I had to stay absolutely still as the focus kept disengaging and focusing on the background. It also had this weird effect where the middle of my leg was blurry/out of focus.

Im really struggling with my decision. Having the freedom to set default apps is a deal breaker..
Coming from a Galaxy S3 user, that's a shame. I've gotten quite tired of the nonsense with my camera along with the rest of the phone since it started getting super slow in the last year. It would have been nice to not have to deal with such dark photos and lagging focus speed compared to the iPhone. But the rest of the features are still plenty to sell me know the Note 4. I can't stand the iOS interface, it's so limiting.

JayDub

Coming from a Galaxy S3 user, that's a shame. I've gotten quite tired of the nonsense with my camera along with the rest of the phone since it started getting super slow in the last year. It would have been nice to not have to deal with such dark photos and lagging focus speed compared to the iPhone. But the rest of the features are still plenty to sell me know the Note 4. I can't stand the iOS interface, it's so limiting.

It is. Having the option to set default apps is so nice.

But man, the Note 4 is so sexy. Hardware is so nice compared to the iPhone 6 Plus.

And notifications on the lock screen. I only had the Note 3 before this, but hot damn, actual notifications for messages and email with preview.

Still no built in Visual Voicemail built it. The M8 did it..

Note 4

iPhone 6 Plus

Man this is disappointing.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Is there any hope for a future update that improves the camera? Or are the limitations purely due to the hardware? I don't know jack about phones, but focusing sounds like something they could program to be faster.

There's always going to be people that have bad experiences. But almost every review I've read/watched so far shows a quick focus and picture capture and everyone's talking about how great the camera is.

I decided on a 6+ over a Note 4. I like that the camera is superior and I feel like Apple's OS is smoother and nicer, where as Touchwiz/Android can feel sort of hacked together and ugly. Every Google app I use has a different sized and behaving slide out menu, nothing is consistent and getting tired of feeling left behind with updates as time goes on. Think I need an Android break.

I will miss multiwindow, it was fun to watch a youtube video while i browsed the internet or texted someone, and hovering my finger to read emails/texts in a list was a handy feature, but I think I'll manage.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
There's always going to be people that have bad experiences. But almost every review I've read/watched so far shows a quick focus and picture capture and everyone's talking about how great the camera is.

Yeah. Most reviews seem to indicate that focus speeds are good. I think we always knew that the camera on the Note 4 wasn't going to beat the 6+.

Wired, Verge and Engadget verdicts are in.

Big thumbs up from all 3.

I thought Verge was a branch of Apple?

which is why I hate fanboys shitting on website because they give a positive review to companies they aren't emotionally invested in, which in itself is pathetic

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I preordered a phone. What's wrong with me?

In all fairness, it was to get that deal at Best Buy. Trading in a really old Droid X since they said ANY working smartphone...

E: I do have a Nokia Lumia that my coworker will sell me for $50 if they won't take my Droid X. In which case, I'm getting $150 in trade instead of $200, which is still perfect.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I thought Verge was a branch of Apple?

which is why I hate fanboys shitting on website because they give a positive review to companies they aren't emotionally invested in, which in itself is pathetic

Don't worry, he still ranked it lower than the iPhone.

Anyone hear anything from Best Buy?

I've never pre-ordered a phone from them before.

- Are they going to let me know the night before or that morning?

- Are they going to give me a specific time to come in or tell me to come in whenever?

I plan on having Photos and Contacts backed up onto the SIM card, so they can just pop it out of my S4 and into the new one. Shouldn't take too long. I dont need some "walk-around" tutorial of how to use a phone.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone hear anything from Best Buy?

I've never pre-ordered a phone from them before.

- Are they going to let me know the night before or that morning?

- Are they going to give me a specific time to come in or tell me to come in whenever?

I plan on having Photos and Contacts backed up onto the SIM card, so they can just pop it out of my S4 and into the new one. Shouldn't take too long. I dont need some "walk-around" tutorial of how to use a phone.

What I was told is that you'll get an email Friday morning to indicate that your phone is ready. As for scheduling a time, the guy said expect ~30 minutes to get it fully setup, and that they'd be setting up blocks of time. Not sure how that's going to work, though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nice!!!! Only one day away!!

By the way, I ordered the battery kit with that 50% off coupon, which came up to $25. It was too much of a good deal to pass up. Fuck. I'm so excited.

Anyone been looking at Note 4 cases?

I want something super minimalist. Just a thin shell to snap on it.

But I'll prolly go naked for a few weeks.

Do I really have to wait an extra week for the Note 4 on Verizon? I want the phone and to take part of the trade in deal at Best Buy but I can't go without a phone for a week!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone been looking at Note 4 cases?

I want something super minimalist. Just a thin shell to snap on it.

But I'll prolly go naked for a few weeks.

I've started looking, but I'm going to wait until the generic ones start coming out for like, $5-10 instead of $40-50.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your link got me hunting more:

The material is the same one that my current Nexus 5 case is. I love this stuff, and I like that it's not thick. I don't get a case to protect from dropping my phone, I get it protect from scratching the back and such.

What about screen protectors? Anyone find any of those they like yet?

chualie

Has anyone had issues with tempered glass screen protectors interfering with the S-Pen?

Also any leather cases like the Apple leather case for the Note 4?

turnbuckle

turnbuckle

Ugh those S-View colors are balls.

Yeah...

Reading the comments on SD it sounds like this is a deal that's offered somewhat regularly? If so, I might wait until more options come available. I checked the shipping status and my phone should be here today...and I'm excited/tempted to buy accessories on a whim lol.

I have an excellent portable charger but having an extra spare battery would be really nice just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom