• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman829

I have a question as I was looking to upgrade to a new phone this fall and the Note 4 was one of the phones on my list I wanted to check out. I noticed on the Best Buy website they list the trade in value of my current phone (Samsung Galaxy S III) as 0, but Verizon is willing to give me $45. Am I unable to get the $200 trade in bonus at Best Buy? Also, If I do trade in my phone is there anything special I should to do clear my information off of it?

I'm still not sure if I want to upgrade to a device this large, but plan on visiting a store over the weekend to try some of the newer phones out.

i decided to shake things up

81qw6h1esML._SL1500_.jpg

Fallon-EW.jpg

I have a question as I was looking to upgrade to a new phone this fall and the Note 4 was one of the phones on my list I wanted to check out. I noticed on the Best Buy website they list the trade in value of my current phone (Samsung Galaxy S III) as 0, but Verizon is willing to give me $45. Am I unable to get the $200 trade in bonus at Best Buy? Also, If I do trade in my phone is there anything special I should to do clear my information off of it?

I'm still not sure if I want to upgrade to a device this large, but plan on visiting a store over the weekend to try some of the newer phones out.

right, the phone has to have value to get the deal.

as for clearing info, the best practice is to turn on device encryption then after it's encrypted, do a factory reset.

this_guy

At this point, what Android phone doesn't have an awful camera?

I'm really impressed with my LG G3. Went on vacation this past weekend to NYC, and I have 3 other friends that have an iPhone 6 and one with a 6 plus. All of the pics taken at night/during low light conditions came out much better on my G3, so I was pretty much sending my pics to them via email (no loss of quality/compression vs sending via mms).

GTI Guy

I went into best buy regarding the promotion. You are too late unless you are getting it for Verizon (it looks like you are) since it is only applicable to preorders. In any event they told me ANY smartphone is eligible. I have a Samsung Focus Windows 7 Phone that they are going to take in for the trade, which I'm going to guess is shittier than your phone. So they should take it. :)

Allforce

Yeah the deal was 200 dollar trade-in on ANY working smartphone, plus a 50 dollar Best Buy gift card, for PRE-ORDERING the Note 4. You've got one day to go in and do it since it releases tomorrow. My S3 qualified, I made sure of it.

Also of note, Best Biy sent me an email giving me ANOTHER 50 dollars off the price of ANY smartphone when I upgrade, so this thing is literally going to be free for me (or at least some nominal amount for taxes). PLUS they're giving 3X Reward Zone points on any purchase through the end of October so that's 900 points or roughly 15 dollars to spend in store.

This deal keeps getting sweeter.

GTI Guy

Yeah the deal was 200 dollar trade-in on ANY working smartphone, plus a 50 dollar Best Buy gift card, for PRE-ORDERING the Note 4. You've got one day to go in and do it since it releases tomorrow. My S3 qualified, I made sure of it.

Also of note, Best Biy sent me an email giving me ANOTHER 50 dollars off the price of ANY smartphone when I upgrade, so this thing is literally going to be free for me (or at least some nominal amount for taxes). PLUS they're giving 3X Reward Zone points on any purchase through the end of October so that's 900 points or roughly 15 dollars to spend in store.

This deal keeps getting sweeter.

Interesting those deals aren't supposed to be stackable. Awesome if you are getting in on those deals!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I went into best buy regarding the promotion. You are too late unless you are getting it for Verizon (it looks like you are) since it is only applicable to preorders. In any event they told me ANY smartphone is eligible. I have a Samsung Focus Windows 7 Phone that they are going to take in for the trade, which I'm going to guess is shittier than your phone. So they should take it. :)

Yeah, the guy told me any working smart phone. He even said to me that an old Droid X would be OK...Hope they aren't lying to me.

KevinRo

Is the camera on Note 4 that bad compared to iPhone... It looks very disappointing. :\

It's not really a test. Also, you have to take into considering higher megapixels perform poorly in low light areas.

Any camera in modern smartphones is decent. It's like comparing the screen types and resolutions between different phones. It might be a deal breaker for some, for others it's meh.

turnbuckle

I'm watching my email like a hawk right now...

Yeah, mine is supposed to be here any minute/hour today now. Keep refreshing UPS hoping it's arrived. I'm working atm but it's being delivered here. I just wanna make sure it's not sitting in our mail room lonely waiting for me to come claim it.

And I haven't had a phone in almost 2 months....

Yeah, mine is supposed to be here any minute/hour today now. Keep refreshing UPS hoping it's arrived. I'm working atm but it's being delivered here. I just wanna make sure it's not sitting in our mail room lonely waiting for me to come claim it.

And I haven't had a phone in almost 2 months....

OMG i'm the worst with UPS. I'll drive around town looking for him. Or keep my tv low as hell and every sound I rush to the window.

I want to pick up the Note 4, but I also want to change cellphone providers. I'm still in a plan with my family with AT&T Next which means paying near-$40 a month extra for the phone, and that just seems obscene.

Ty4on

At this point, what Android phone doesn't have an awful camera?

Pretty much all have decent HW, just ruined by shoddy SW.

I really wish stock Android gets RAW support like Cyanogen just got. RAW is the raw data that the camera sensor picks up. You get much more data to play around with. This is a way better sensor than any phone has (APS-C), but it gives you an idea of what RAW enables.

Here's just a boring long exposure shot I took outside my door. I apologize for not leveling it.
See that really underexposed dark sky? The sensor didn't just catch the mountain hidden there, but also the northern lights even my eyes couldn't see.
I'm awful at editing them and used a free app with one day's experience. I even realized after cropping and editing them that I forgot to level it so I apologize for that, but I've already spend way too much time on that bad shot. I just wanted to demonstrate the hidden details. You can see on the net what real photographers are able to do with raw files all over the web in real pictures like capturing the sky and shadows without HDR.

turnbuckle

OMG i'm the worst with UPS. I'll drive around town looking for him. Or keep my tv low as hell and every sound I rush to the window.

Hahaha, that's awesome!

And WOOHOO - my co-worker is better than UPS updates! She just came down to my office to deliver my phone to me and I hadn't received the email update from UPS that I was supposed to be getting.

It says to wait until my battery is 100% charged before transferring service to my phone. I want to think this is some generic warning and I can ignore it...but I'm gonna go ahead and wait. It was at 67% when I got it a couple minutes ago. It's at 71% already. Should be to 100% in the next half hour or so. Then it's time to have fun :D

Hahaha, that's awesome!

And WOOHOO - my co-worker is better than UPS updates! She just came down to my office to deliver my phone to me and I hadn't received the email update from UPS that I was supposed to be getting.

It says to wait until my battery is 100% charged before transferring service to my phone. I want to think this is some generic warning and I can ignore it...but I'm gonna go ahead and wait. It was at 67% when I got it a couple minutes ago. It's at 71% already. Should be to 100% in the next half hour or so. Then it's time to have fun :D

Well fuck me if Best Buy is going to be setting it up in the store for me. Can't I just tell them I'll do it myself at home.

blahness

I have been refreshing the tracking page all day. Damn FedEx always gets to my house later in the day!
:-|

Edit: Just delivered! Running home asap

Allforce

No email yet :(

I just went to backup all my photos on my SIII....and the thing won't connect via USB to my computer. What the fuck.

I REALLY don't want to just save all my shit to some cloud service like Google, I prefer local backup but if I have to upload over 3000 photos over wifi I'm not gonna be able to trade this thing in until Monday...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wait is Best Buy still doing the $200 deal and $50 gift card today? I found an old phone. Is the $200 a mail in rebate?

Its supposed to be a card you get right there. There's a lot of information floating around regarding what age the phone can be. The guy in the store told me any phone at all. Some are saying the phone needs to have value. I'm hoping it's any smart phone...

Its supposed to be a card you get right there. There's a lot of information floating around regarding what age the phone can be. The guy in the store told me any phone at all. Some are saying the phone needs to have value. I'm hoping it's any smart phone...

Shit I found my old HTC Touch from 2007. I'm trying this tonight lol

Allforce

They give you a 50 dollar gift card on the spot for putting down 50 bucks for pre-ordering.

The promotion is 200 dollars off the price of the phone with any smartphone trade-in. Their words were "if it can get data, it's eligible". So basically I had to sit at the desk with a woman, who punched all my info in. She said when I come in to pick up the phone they'll take my old phone, move all the data over to the new one, and take 200 dollars right off the price there. And I can apply the gift card they gave me at that point if I want (I am going to).

So all you're out is the 50 bucks you put down originally, since the gift card and 200 dollar trade-in covers the balance on the Note 4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Shit I found my old HTC Touch from 2007. I'm trying this tonight lol

My job is such that we have a lot of field guys with old smartphones. IT gave me an old Droid phone to try out since he said he was going to through it out anyways. If that doesn't work, my coworker gave me a Nokia Lumia 520 I can try out. I'm selling my N5 outright since I can get $50-75 more bucks out of it.

They give you a 50 dollar gift card on the spot for putting down 50 bucks for pre-ordering.

The promotion is 200 dollars off the price of the phone with any smartphone trade-in. Their words were "if it can get data, it's eligible". So basically I had to sit at the desk with a woman, who punched all my info in. She said when I come in to pick up the phone they'll take my old phone, move all the data over to the new one, and take 200 dollars right off the price there. And I can apply the gift card they gave me at that point if I want (I am going to).

So all you're out is the 50 bucks you put down originally, since the gift card and 200 dollar trade-in covers the balance on the Note 4.

This is what I wanted to hear. "If it can get data, it's eligible" means I SHOULD be good. Fingers are crossed! 10am tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom